Non IS lens such as 10-22 for sports?

Started Sep 5, 2011 | Discussions
Scott Fennell
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Non IS lens such as 10-22 for sports?
Sep 5, 2011

Hey Guys,

I mainly take action shots of skiers. My only lens right now is the 18-135 IS. I think it's quite good. I am shooting with a 30d, with a possible upgrade to a 7d in the next year.

But I think I would be better served to have another lens option. I want to take shots where the skier is very close to me, yet still be able to showcase the awesome background.

But will I notice degraded sharpness because the 10-22 does not feature IS?

fmian
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?
Re: Non IS lens such as 10-22 for sports?
In reply to Scott Fennell, Sep 5, 2011

The 10-22 is useful if you want to perhaps capture the entire sporting ground, or the whole mountain that is being skied on. Capturing many people in a group shot would be fine from a distance, but anyone too close and the perspective may look odd.

If you are fine with that, then just shoot at a faster shutter speed to freeze the motion.

I assume you are shooting during the day. Even with a polarizing or ND filter you should be able to shoot at a fast enough shutter speed in the snow.

fmian's gear list:fmian's gear list
Canon EOS 5D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
andersf
Regular MemberPosts: 313
Like?

For action shots you likely use fast shutter speeds (1/500 or faster) so camera shake will likely not be a problem. Also, for short focal lengths shake will be less noticable. That is why ultrawides don't have IS.

In fact, your combination of circumstances is probably the situation where IS would be needed the least (snow + action + wide lens). The bright snow gives lots of light yielding fast shutters. The action nature of sports shooting requires fast shutters. And the wide lens means a shutter of 1/50 or faster will give no camera shake.

photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,095
Like?

Scott Fennell wrote:

Hey Guys,

I mainly take action shots of skiers. My only lens right now is the 18-135 IS. I think it's quite good. I am shooting with a 30d, with a possible upgrade to a 7d in the next year.

But I think I would be better served to have another lens option. I want to take shots where the skier is very close to me, yet still be able to showcase the awesome background.

But will I notice degraded sharpness because the 10-22 does not feature IS?

Some good replies already, I just reiterate,
a) there are no UWA with IS

b) IS is not useful for your "normal" action shots, since your subject is moving.

IS allows you to use slower shutter speeds to reduce camera shake from hand-holding - if you subject is moving it still will be blurred. If you want twilight shots, you can use a tripod or monopod (which may be fine, since you can ram it into the snow).

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

fmian
Like?
In reply to photonius, Sep 5, 2011

photonius wrote:

Scott Fennell wrote:

Nikkor 16-35 VR

Canon EOS 5D
fmian
Like?
In reply to fmian, Sep 5, 2011

fmian wrote:
but anyone too close and the perspective may look odd.

On further thought, it may be good to give the impression of a skier 'rushing' past.

Canon EOS 5D
photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,095
Like?
In reply to fmian, Sep 5, 2011

fmian wrote:

photonius wrote:

Scott Fennell wrote:

Nikkor 16-35 VR

Right, though it's not for Canon though... VR won't work with the manual adapters.

And then the OP was talking about crop bodies (otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned the 10-22). The Nikkor 16-35 is only UWA on FF, on crop it's like the Canon 15-85 (IS), starting at 24mm FF equivalent.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

Scott Fennell
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
In reply to photonius, Sep 5, 2011

Great responses. Thank you!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads