Like?
ISO test of a $7000+ SD1
Aug 30, 2011
mike earussi
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,717
Like?
Re: ISO test of a $7000+ SD1
In reply to Spade357, Aug 30, 2011

Interesting, thanks for posting. For all its improvements the new Foveon chip is still too noisy to be used at high ISOs. Looks like it will remain a speciality tool for the forseeble future.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,309Gear list
Like?
Les JPEG

Um, yes, we already knew not to shoot high ISO in JPG files thanks.

I mean, did you bother even to look at the full size images below which plainly shows the 100% views are from JPG and not from a file develop by SPP?

The full-size ISO6400 they show is still noisy but not nearly as noisy as the crop they are showing.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,309Gear list
Like?
Not so
In reply to mike earussi, Aug 30, 2011

mike earussi wrote:

Interesting, thanks for posting. For all its improvements the new Foveon chip is still too noisy to be used at high ISOs. Looks like it will remain a speciality tool for the forseeble future.

Actually, at this point finally the SD-1 is usable at what people generally consider higher ISO - 800 and 1600. Beyond that it does get noisier but is not unusable at 3200, 6400 would be OK for something to be used on the web or possibly a B&W print...

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
petr marek
Regular MemberPosts: 169
Like?

Yep, price/performance and IQ ratio is not good...

But SD1 detail at low ISO is better, very gentle and sharp, even the image is overexposed. Also Nikon shows some moire. As for me, for large prints I would definitely choose SD1 shot in raw X3F. My best photos except those with stars in the night sky, are shot at low ISO.

Roland_d
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?

Worth a serious look specially since you can compare colors/noise/details with other cameras - Sony a77, Nikon 7000 etc

Not sure that SD1 shines as gold !

thanks for the link

rd

Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,877Gear list
Like?
Not so hot noise...
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Aug 31, 2011

how fast the Sigma crowd scream when anyone compares JPEGS of the SD1 (or any Sigma) to JPEG or RAW of Bayer, but sure they don't say beep when they are comparing Sigma RAWS to JPEG Bayers.

But that's besides the point. It sure has a lot of noise. For someone who told me before it didn't seem that far from a Pentax K-5 I can tell you, it's very far from what a K-5 can do. And they have the RAWS right there to download.

Still I see an improvement, at least resizing down to older Sigma Foveon class you can get something that is quite usable. But from what I see, ISO 1600 in B&W and ISO 3200 also in B&W. Not too far from where it was before when seen as a whole.

It wouldn't personally bother me much if I could do B&W on a DP2 with this sensor at ISO 3200 if they allow us to turn off SPP's noise reduction.

But I can say right now, the K-5 is way ahead of this at high ISO.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

The Panda
Contributing MemberPosts: 776
Like?
In reply to Spade357, Aug 31, 2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads