Any 28mm f/2 lens recommendation?

Started Aug 29, 2011 | Discussions
zoranT
Contributing MemberPosts: 896
Like?
Any 28mm f/2 lens recommendation?
Aug 29, 2011

Looking for a small-ish lens, faster than 2.8 and shorter than 35mm. Voigtländer Ultron is tempting, but at the upper range of size/lenght and value/price. Anything else to recommend that suits the NEX demands? Thanks.

pabloman
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?
Re: Any 28mm f/2 lens recommendation?
In reply to zoranT, Aug 29, 2011

Hi,

I tried the Olympus 28/2 but probably was a bad piece.

So went to try the FD 28/2 and also probably got a bad piece off ebay, too.

Then managed to attain the MD 28/2 which I loved very much. I still really do,

but the Ultron 28/1.9 (the true, expensive, aspherical, heavy metal in glass type, not the modern 28/2) did it for me.

The pictures wide open are a bit contrastier and sharper then the Rokkor, so I am now selling the Rokkor.

I think that compared to some possible pigs, you can get with the really old and overpriced legacy glass, the Ultron was the best choice...

I paid 200 EUR for the Rokkor, which wasn't bad, but the Ultron for 300 is IMO better, so I am keeping that one.

Sincerely, I love the real, old legacy glass, but with some very much wanted pieces, like the Zuiko 28/2, canon 35/2, the supply is very limited, prices are bad, and the quality even worse, because, the really good ones are kept, and the bad ones are traded...

So it is always a matter of trying and having luck.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pabloman
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?
In reply to pabloman, Aug 29, 2011

Besides that...

a few words to the Rokkor. I don't know why, but I find Minolta upper class glass somehow better and the rendered picture from it, more aesthetic and full of character..

Its like with the 58/1.2 the photos made by it are special. I have the 50/1.1 Nokton, but it is just contrasty, fast, but without that special soul. Or the Zuikos... Had the 28/2, have the 28/2.8, they were just sharp, the second one also very contrasty, as well as the 50/1.8, but when I make the same photo with the 28/2, i always like it more, eventhough it is not as contrasty as from those cheaper lenses. Maybe it is because of the materials used in the glass, maybe the better construction, compared to the 3.5 2.8 lens product lines... Don't know... I still have the Rokkor, and somehow don't want to sell it, eventhough, I can not afford to have so much money in one focal length... :

And I own also the

VC 35/1.2 ASPH, 15/1.5 ASPH, 28/1.9 ASPH, 50/1.1
Samyang 85/1.4 ASPH...

Besides that also Minolta 35/2.8, 28/2.8, 50/1.7
Zuiko 50/1.8, 28/2.8 (the latest, best versions of each lens)

The cheaper, lighter versions of legacy glass have always proven to me to be inferior. Eventhough the 2.8 lenses are sharper and more contrasty wide open than the 2.0s, but I rather carry the heavier, faster version with me, because the pictures do really have more character, better rendering, and don't look just so sharp, contrasty, but plain and somehow cheaper... The engineers knew, what they were doing, when designing the lens product lines, back then :>

Hope, I could help you making an opinion...

zoranT
Like?

Yea, thanks, very true that the good glass is kept, not traded. Will look into Rokkor, havent come across old Ultron though - not looking for perfect lens, but for the most 'practical' one ATM.
Z

HAbba
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?

Hi,

I have owned the following:

Canon FD 28mm f2.

• Pros: Close Focus Distance - 0.3m, Fast f2.0 and lovely manual focus feel.

• Cons: It had a strange white-ish Haze (inner glass had bubbles). Its big with the adapter on the NEX. Colour/Contrast not as good as the Voigtlanders.

• Cost: £150 (have sold it now for similar value)

Voigtlander 28mm f1.9:

• Pros: Lovely Contrast and sharp pictures (when I first bought it I thought there was something wrong (sharpness) but it was my inexperience in it use). Fast lens, good build quality with clicks of the aperture ring.

• Cons: Close Focus Distance - 0.7m and Cost: £310 (sold for similar amount). Bigger then the Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 (see below)

Voigtlander 35mm f1.7:

I have sold the above two lenses and settled for this one (for now) - will sell when the zeiss 24mm reviews come out and cost is affordable.

• Pros: smaller then above two, marginally faster (f1.7) and I got it cheaper (£210). Similar in contrast and sharpness to the voigtlander 28mm f1.9.

• Cons: I hate the close focus distance 0.9m - very hard to use in enclosed spaces e.g. in a car or of sitting next to someone. This becomes worse on a camera like the NEX where you don't have a view finder so you have to add another 20-30cm for arms length.

For all the above I miss auto focus. This is usually necessary when you hand over your camera to someone else to take a picture and they don't know where to start.

In summary - the Voigtlander's tradeoff in achieving smaller size, contrast and sharpness is at the cost of close focus distance (and price). If you can save up for the zeiss consider it.

Regards

Hassan

HAbba's gear list:HAbba's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Samsung NX100 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +3 more
John Knuhtsen
Contributing MemberPosts: 614
Like?

With the f/2 demand you set limited number of solutions. Why set this demand with a sensor being APS-C and fairly noise modest ? There are so many legacy 28 mm that are f/2.8 or f/3.5, - and they are less heavy. I will look forward to test my Nikon 28 F/3.5 in the future. I have just bought my Nex 5.

mynakedsoda
Contributing MemberPosts: 701
Like?

zoranT wrote:

Looking for a small-ish lens, faster than 2.8 and shorter than 35mm. Voigtländer Ultron is tempting, but at the upper range of size/lenght and value/price. Anything else to recommend that suits the NEX demands? Thanks.

No recommendation but I will say this. I have been spending alot of time on ebay recently as I have a few lenses I have been wanting to test with the Nex and boxes upon boxes of extra lenses and cameras I have been needing to sell. Voigtlander lenses have very high resell in mint condition. If you want it I say buy it. After a few months if it doesn't live up to your expectations you can auction it and consider any small loss a rental fee.

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,949Gear list
Like?
re: Nikkor AIS 28/2

beautifully sharp even wide open, great microcontrast:

(on the right, outer diameter at the base 61mm, ca. 350 grams),
sometimes can be had pretty unexpensively (not often):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-28mm-f-2-AIS-manual-focus-lens-/150655570693?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2313c59305

jpr2
--
~
street candids (non-interactive):
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157609618638319/
music and dance:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157600341265280/
B&W:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157623306407882/
wildlife & macro:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157600341377106/
interactive street:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157623181919323/

Comments and critique are always welcome!
~

LarryPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 2,611
Like?
Maybe a Nikon 28mm 2.8 AIS
In reply to John Knuhtsen, Aug 29, 2011

I agree with John, I also have a very nice Nikon 28mm AIS that works great on my M4/3 setup, and I am looking forward to using this lens on my NEX-7 which is on order. This lens also will focus very close.

I also have a nice old Vivitar 24mm F2.8 in Canon FD, very sharp on film, I maybe trying this one too.

Both work good on M4/3, so we'll see.

John Knuhtsen wrote:

With the f/2 demand you set limited number of solutions. Why set this demand with a sensor being APS-C and fairly noise modest ? There are so many legacy 28 mm that are f/2.8 or f/3.5, - and they are less heavy. I will look forward to test my Nikon 28 F/3.5 in the future. I have just bought my Nex 5.

Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,131Gear list
Like?

For same focal length/aperture, CV lenses are (among) the smallest size/weight. Need a helicoid adapter or tube for closeup.

BUT for minimum focusing distance, CV (and other Leica M mount lenses) are (among) the furthest because of parallax compensation. Look for SLR here.

There is no free lunch in the world, not just America.

-Steven

zoranT wrote:

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
zoranT
Like?
In reply to John Knuhtsen, Aug 29, 2011

John Knuhtsen wrote:

With the f/2 demand you set limited number of solutions. Why set this demand with a sensor being APS-C and fairly noise modest ? There are so many legacy 28 mm that are f/2.8 or f/3.5, - and they are less heavy.

NEX is also my video tool, and as soon as evening comes video looks bad in low light when you don t have a fast lens, that s the only reason - if I had manual controls over video I would n t bother zz

zoranT
Like?
In reply to Steven-T, Aug 29, 2011

Steven-T wrote:

For same focal length/aperture, CV lenses are (among) the smallest size/weight. Need a helicoid adapter or tube for closeup.

BUT for minimum focusing distance, CV (and other Leica M mount lenses) are (among) the furthest because of parallax compensation. Look for SLR here.

-Steven

What does CV stand for in HS? (heaven's sake)

Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,131Gear list
Like?

CV = Cosina Voigtlander = Rangefinder (M & screw mounts) Voigtlander lenses made by Cosina.

zoranT wrote:

Steven-T wrote:

-Steven

What does CV stand for in HS? (heaven's sake)

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
John McClain
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
Olympus Pen F or FT Lenses?

How do these Olympus Pen F lenses compare to other lenses?

The adapter is very small... and the lenses are also small.

The common 38mm F1.8 usually sells for $100 to $150. There is also a 28mm if you can find it that is less common. But... the 38mm seems to be readily available.

I was thinking of trying them out.

Jonas B
Forum ProPosts: 14,596
Like?
That 35/1.2...

pabloman wrote:

(...)
And I own also the

VC 35/1.2 ASPH, 15/1.5 ASPH, 28/1.9 ASPH, 50/1.1
Samyang 85/1.4 ASPH...

I used to own the CV 35/1.2. Then when I went micro 4/3 the lens just felt wrong, it was too long for a normal and too short for a portrait lens. Now with the APS-C sized sensor I'm again interested in a fast 35mm lens. (For now I use an SMC-P FA31/1.8.)

Do you have any words on the CV 35/1.2 for the Nex? Are the borders horrible or do they sharpen up when stopped down?

Also, wth is a 15/1.5? I guess you mean 15/4.5? A 15/1.5 would be a wonderful tool, perhaps very big though...

regards,

Jonas

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,949Gear list
Like?
re: various 15mm f/3.5
In reply to Jonas B, Aug 29, 2011

Jonas B wrote:

Also, wth is a 15/1.5? I guess you mean 15/4.5? A 15/1.5 would be a wonderful tool, perhaps very big though...

15/1.5 such a beast was never in existence :D. However, there are
quite a few other excellent 15mm:

• Zeiss Distagon 15/3.5;

• Ashai SMC 15/3.5 ASPH, and almost as good non-ASPH;

• Leitz-R Super-Elmar 15/3.5;

• Nikkor AIS 15/3.5;

jpr2
--
~
street candids (non-interactive):
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157609618638319/
music and dance:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157600341265280/
B&W:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157623306407882/
wildlife & macro:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157600341377106/
interactive street:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157623181919323/

Comments and critique are always welcome!
~

SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,942Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus Pen F or FT Lenses?
In reply to John McClain, Aug 29, 2011

From what other posters have said, they're very good... but getting to be pretty pricey. Nex and m43 have created quite a demand for them.
--

Nex-5 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Alupang
Senior MemberPosts: 2,560
Like?

zoranT wrote:

28mm...my favorite focal length. My thoughts on several lenses for what it's worth.

Canon FDn 28mm f2: I bought two of these used and both were beat to heck. Corners were blurry at f2 and f2.8 and didn't sharpen up stopped down as much as I expected. Not nearly as good as my 35mm f2 Canon. I returned both copies for refund.

Zeiss ZM 28mm f2.8: I read corners are smeared on Nex. New review on Photozone is up. Read it.

Nikkor AiS 28mm f2.8: 8 elements--perhaps Nikkors sharpest lens. Id like to try one of these but I don't like the fact that the Nikon adapter is longer than Canon FD. Plus the lens is expensive--about $300 on ebay. Nice lens I bet.

Nikkor AiS 28mm f2: I believe the f2.8 above is better so I would pass on this.

CV Ultron: Interesting lens and worth a try if I could get a mint used one at a great price. I have a feeling though, that corners will be soft at f2.8 and even f4.

Canon FDn 28mm f2.8. Smallish, light 170g, close focus under 1 foot and almost free on ebay. Excellent performance even wide open. Too good and too cheap and too lightweight for me to ignore. This is the 28mm I use. I have given up trying to find a better 28mm. Last one I bought was brand new condition for $25 free shipping.

fermy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,168
Like?
In reply to Alupang, Aug 29, 2011

Agree with Alupang on FD 28/f2.8. If you want the lens to use as opposed to own, this is a very good choice, fully usable wide open, easy to find in good condition, almost free. This lens I've been using the most on NEX, despite the fact that I have both 28/f2 and 35/f2. f2.8 is smaller, lighter and gives up only 1 stop, IQ is pretty much the same, I love 28mm on APS-C. For a daytime stroll, it's an easy choice. Then again, with old lenses, you won't lose much money on them, so if f2 is your thing go for it.

Alupang
Senior MemberPosts: 2,560
Like?
In reply to fermy, Aug 29, 2011

fermy wrote:

Then again, with old lenses, you won't lose much money on them, so if f2 is your thing go for it.

Did you see the brand spanking new in box Canon FDn 28mm f2 on ebay recently? It sold for $179--I should have bought it and gave this lens another try.

I'm saving my money for the Sony 50mm though so no new 28mm for me. Punishment.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads