No High-Speed Sync when triggering 430EX II from 60D remotely?

Started Aug 27, 2011 | Discussions
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
No High-Speed Sync when triggering 430EX II from 60D remotely?
Aug 27, 2011

Hi guys, I'm new to flash photography. I got 430EX II connected to my 60D remotely (via pop-up flash). With High-Speed Sync turned on on my 430EX, I can't get my 60D go faster than 1/250 shutter speed. I was on manual mode btw. Did I miss something or that's a limitation? I know it is the case for those cheap ebay trigger out there but not sure if this apply to 430EX as well. Please let me know, thanks!

ScratchDisk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,679
Like?
Re: No High-Speed Sync when triggering 430EX II from 60D remotely?
In reply to 167, Aug 27, 2011

Hi, That is a limitation - it lies with the pop-up controller. If you were using a 5xxEx or the ST-E2 as the master device, HSS would then be available across a Canon Wireless network.

I think Canon thought that wth the 60D/7D/600D controllers, power from the built-in flash was going to be limited anyway and therefore increasing the demand by implementing HSS would lead to lack of reliability.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Like?
In reply to ScratchDisk, Aug 28, 2011

ScratchDisk wrote:

Hi, That is a limitation - it lies with the pop-up controller. If you were using a 5xxEx or the ST-E2 as the master device, HSS would then be available across a Canon Wireless network.

I think Canon thought that wth the 60D/7D/600D controllers, power from the built-in flash was going to be limited anyway and therefore increasing the demand by implementing HSS would lead to lack of reliability.

That is sad... I was thinking about getting another 430EX... is there a cheaper solution to this? Can we connect 2 flashes with flash cables? Thanks anyway!

ScratchDisk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,679
Like?
In reply to 167, Aug 28, 2011

Hi, Cables - yes, partly. The OC-E3, or preferably a long non-coiled clone of same, preserves - to a single speedlite - both HSS and Second Curtain sync (they also preserve 'master' functionality, if a 5xxEx is on the end). In the US, see Flashzebra's site - Lon is a very helpful guy.

But, you ask " .. Can we connect 2 flashes with flash cables? .. usually no, not 2. There are possible exceptions, eg Yongnuo's FC-681, but unlike simple OC-E3 clones these are not 'plug & play', there are all sorts of restrictions on their use. Cheers, Donald

7DJoe
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Like?
In reply to ScratchDisk, Aug 30, 2011

I have a 7D with 2 430EX II flashes. I use Pocketwizards to obtain off camera high speed sync with the flashes. I have a TT1 mounted to the 7D Hot Shoe and the TT5's mounted to the flashes. In addition, I have the AC3 zone controller mounted on the TT1. The AC3 was a very nice surprise, as you can very easily adjust the Flash Output without having to stop and look at the camera.

There have been reported problems with Pocketwizards and Canon flashes, but with this setup I have not had any problems.

I realize this solution is quite expensive......but it works!

Like?
In reply to 7DJoe, Aug 30, 2011

7DJoe wrote:

I have a 7D with 2 430EX II flashes. I use Pocketwizards to obtain off camera high speed sync with the flashes. I have a TT1 mounted to the 7D Hot Shoe and the TT5's mounted to the flashes. In addition, I have the AC3 zone controller mounted on the TT1. The AC3 was a very nice surprise, as you can very easily adjust the Flash Output without having to stop and look at the camera.

There have been reported problems with Pocketwizards and Canon flashes, but with this setup I have not had any problems.

I realize this solution is quite expensive......but it works!

That's very nice to have larger budget. After reading all the responds, I know I will have to give up high speed sync remotely at the moment. I hope I can afford all 580 and PW

kb2zuz
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,196Gear list
Like?
What do you need HSS for?
In reply to 167, Aug 30, 2011

Unfortunately high speed sync doesn't come cheap. However I would re-evaluate how much you really need HSS. A lot of people feel they need HSS for more situations than they do. Yes if you're out in bright sunlight and shooting at f/5.6 or wider you will need faster shutter speeds, but in these cases you can use an ND filter to cut your exposure. But outside of very bright sunlight and relatively wide aperture, HSS is usually not needed.
--
~K

kb2zuz's gear list:kb2zuz's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +8 more
Like?
Re: What do you need HSS for?
In reply to kb2zuz, Aug 30, 2011

kb2zuz wrote:

Unfortunately high speed sync doesn't come cheap. However I would re-evaluate how much you really need HSS. A lot of people feel they need HSS for more situations than they do. Yes if you're out in bright sunlight and shooting at f/5.6 or wider you will need faster shutter speeds, but in these cases you can use an ND filter to cut your exposure. But outside of very bright sunlight and relatively wide aperture, HSS is usually not needed.
--
~K

Good point. Thanks, kb2zuz.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads