What "standard" zoom for the Nex-7

Started Aug 24, 2011 | Discussions
Ira Blumberg
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
What "standard" zoom for the Nex-7
Aug 24, 2011

The Nex-7 looks like a very promising compact camera for serious photographers. However, based on reviews, the standard 18-55 zoom is no match for the image quality the sensor can produce. Also, 3.5-5.6 is quite slow.

I currently use an a580 with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 as my "walk around" camera. I would love something smaller and lighter with equal or better image quality. The Nex-7 is very tempting, but not until there is an equivalent of the Tamron zoom available.

The LA-EA2 looks interesting, but seems to add so much weight and bulk to the camera that I might as well just stick with my a580, particularly since focusing will be no better.

Anyone have any suggestions??

TIA,
Ira

Ira Blumberg's gear list:Ira Blumberg's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,380Gear list
Like?
Re: What "standard" zoom for the Nex-7
In reply to Ira Blumberg, Aug 24, 2011

Ira Blumberg wrote:

Just stick with your a580. You outline the reasons above.

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Myari
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
In reply to Ira Blumberg, Aug 24, 2011

Higher performance standard zoom ("G") is promised for 2012.

When exactly in 2012 is not known.

Rooru S
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
In reply to Myari, Aug 25, 2011

He'll complain about lens size. Just look at the mockup when the roadmap was released on 2010...I don't mind since the NEX-5 is my main camera, but he already got the A580 and won't see any advantage at all.

Myari wrote:

-- hide signature --

Proud Sony NEX 5 user

Rooru S's gear list:Rooru S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W170 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +6 more
Everdog
Senior MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
In reply to Myari, Aug 25, 2011

Myari wrote:

We are still waiting for the first lens of 2011. It won't be here for another 2 months (Oct.).

Stick with the 580. Unless you manually focus all the time, no lens will come close. Also, the 24 MP sensor seems to have a lot of noise.

seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,619Gear list
Like?
In reply to Everdog, Aug 25, 2011

Everdog wrote:

We are still waiting for the first lens of 2011. It won't be here for another 2 months (Oct.).

The 30mm macro will be available in September.
http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/lineup/macro_lens.html

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,069Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ira Blumberg, Aug 25, 2011

IF I got the NEX-7, the standard zoom will be my Tri-Elmar 28-35-50, with an adapter. But the $1200 price tag holds me back, . . .

-Steven

Ira Blumberg wrote:

The Nex-7 looks like a very promising compact camera for serious photographers. However, based on reviews, the standard 18-55 zoom is no match for the image quality the sensor can produce. Also, 3.5-5.6 is quite slow.

I currently use an a580 with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 as my "walk around" camera. I would love something smaller and lighter with equal or better image quality. The Nex-7 is very tempting, but not until there is an equivalent of the Tamron zoom available.

The LA-EA2 looks interesting, but seems to add so much weight and bulk to the camera that I might as well just stick with my a580, particularly since focusing will be no better.

TIA,
Ira

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads