F600 EXR

Started Aug 22, 2011 | Discussions
mike geier
Regular MemberPosts: 461Gear list
Like?
F600 EXR
Aug 22, 2011

looks like this is just a software update, and instead of releasing an update to download, they decided to make a 550 replcaement instead.

mike geier's gear list:mike geier's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX200V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony Alpha NEX-7
Dorito
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
Re: F600 EXR
In reply to mike geier, Aug 22, 2011

Looks like it....new features include...

Intelligent digital zoom - software
Improved Sensor Tech (Motion Detection) - software
GPS Landmark Navigator - software

...that's about it I think - from the corporate bump.

However, if they fix the blurry-right-hand-edge in full wide-angle shots... then it might be worth looking into...

-- hide signature --

UK / f-5-5-0-e-x-r / f-2-0-0-e-x-r / f-1-0-0-f-d / F-Z-3-8 / S-1-0-0-f-s / K-2-0-0-D

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 31,930Gear list
Like?

mike geier wrote:

looks like this is just a software update, and instead of releasing an update to download, they decided to make a 550 replcaement instead.

Well ... there aren't many changes, but I think we'll need to wait and see on whether it is only firmware. The body sizes between the F600 and F605 are different, for starters ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
theranman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,090
Like?
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Aug 22, 2011

and don't forget....they added a button for the pop up flash.

Bokeh_freak
Regular MemberPosts: 334
Like?
In reply to theranman, Aug 22, 2011

If they were like sony, they would release the firmware update for free for the F550EXR / F500EXR instead of charging $350.

Don't be surpised if fuji dumped all their R&D into new high end products.

Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
In reply to Bokeh_freak, Aug 22, 2011

Bokeh_freak wrote:

If they were like sony, they would release the firmware update for free for the F550EXR / F500EXR instead of charging $350.

Don't be surpised if fuji dumped all their R&D into new high end products.

Let's wait and see...

BTW Sony don't have a good history with firmware updates in fact they have a lousy one esp with their DSLR's

Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,507Gear list
Like?

If they do sort out all the F550 problems including video focus, lens blur and GPS, this might turn out to be a great camera.

I have been using the Canon SX210 and having a small competent superzoom with good video has become essential to me.

I hope Fuji can take it to the next level
--
Z5 V10 F11 F70 F200 S6500 S100 EX1 D40

Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
In reply to mike geier, Aug 23, 2011

mike geier wrote:

There's at least one non-software change to the F600. Fuji says that the lens is different and more flare resistant. Even if it only amounts to additional or better coatings for the glass, if it helps to prevent the kaleidoscope flare that the F550 suffered from it will be worth something.

chris_j_l
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
In reply to Billx08, Aug 23, 2011

I've never had a FujiFilm camera, but I do have more money than sense, so I preordered an F600EXR - should arrive in early Oct so will test the lens if you want.

I wanted a good UW camera (so the 40m waterproof housing is ordered as well) but that will be a good travel camera (for the heck of it - to keep the other cameras company ) and the EXR sensor has me intrigued.

All I need to find is the ability to do an 'into the sun' shot in October in the UK :).

C

chris_j_l's gear list:chris_j_l's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS 60Da Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +12 more
theranman
Like?
In reply to chris_j_l, Aug 23, 2011

Thanks for volunteering your services!

dengx
Contributing MemberPosts: 856
Like?
Adobe support
In reply to mike geier, Aug 23, 2011

Adobe just released support for F600EXR... that was quick.

Regards

theranman
Like?
Re: Adobe support
In reply to dengx, Aug 23, 2011

Can you provide a link?

Gordon W
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,421Gear list
Like?
In reply to theranman, Aug 23, 2011

It's now on DPR's news page...

http://forums.dpreview.com/news/1108/11082320adobereleasecandidate.asp

Unfortunately, ACR still doesn't appear to have a profile for the F550 though.

theranman wrote:

Can you provide a link?

-- hide signature --

--
My online photo galleries
http://www.pbase.com/merriwolf/

Gordon W's gear list:Gordon W's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Canon EOS 400D +4 more
dotbalm
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,215
Like?
F550 support began in ACR 6.4.
In reply to Gordon W, Aug 24, 2011

Gordon W wrote:

That list is for the Release Candidate lens and camera additions - however, it is not the comprehensive list - it simply lists the incremental change of lenses and cameras. It's good news (hopefully) that the F600 is in there.

However, the F550EXR profile was added in the update from ACR 6.3 to 6.4:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/extend.html

The link I added includes the following excerpt:

" Camera support for Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3

Support for the following cameras has been added from Camera Raw 6.3 to 6.4 and Lightroom 3.3 to 3.4:

Canon EOS 600D (Rebel T3i / Kiss X5 Digital)
Canon EOS 1100D (Rebel T3 / Kiss X50 Digital)
Fuji FinePix S200 EXR
Fuji FinePix F550 EXR
Fuji FinePix HS20 EXR
Fuji FinePix X100
Hasselblad H4D-40

Kodak EasyShare Z990
Nikon D5100
Olympus E-PL1s
Olympus E-PL2
Olympus XZ-1
Samsung NX11"

I have LR3 and PSE9 and used the latest ACR versions which support the F550EXR.

An initiative by Kim Letkeman to get the .RAF files supported in ACR was supported by many from FTF and elsewhere in an Adobe forum and, subsequent to that effort, support was provided. How much we can attribute to that initiative I don't know, but that's the chronology.

FWIW, the list below is a historical style list showing when a camera was added to which version of ACR - for the F550EXR it shows 6.4. It also shows file format extension for RAW, which for the F550EXR is .RAF.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html

Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 31,930Gear list
Like?
In reply to dengx, Aug 24, 2011

dengx wrote:

Adobe just released support for F600EXR... that was quick.

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.com/2011/08/adobe-acr-65-supports-f600exr.html

You are welcome

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Gordon W
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,421Gear list
Like?
Support doesn't always provide a prolile
In reply to dotbalm, Aug 24, 2011

dotbalm wrote:

Gordon W wrote:

the F550EXR profile was added in the update from ACR 6.3 to 6.4:

Yes, thanks to Kim's effort ACR has supported the F550 for a while now, however opening its RAW format and providing a profile are two different things. Profiles are extras that automatically correct for distortion, CA, and vignetting and are quite convenient.

Open an F550 RAW file in ACR, click on the 'Lens Corrections' tab (sixth from the left in the right sidebar), click on the 'Profile' tab, select the 'Enable Lens Profile Corrections' option, then under 'Lens Profile' select 'Make' and unfortunately the only option you'll find under 'Fujifilm' is for the X100.

-- hide signature --

--
My online photo galleries
http://www.pbase.com/merriwolf/

Gordon W's gear list:Gordon W's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Canon EOS 400D +4 more
dotbalm
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,215
Like?
Re: Support doesn't always provide a prolile
In reply to Gordon W, Aug 24, 2011

Gordon W wrote:

dotbalm wrote:

Gordon W wrote:

the F550EXR profile was added in the update from ACR 6.3 to 6.4:

Yes, thanks to Kim's effort ACR has supported the F550 for a while now, however opening its RAW format and providing a profile are two different things. Profiles are extras that automatically correct for distortion, CA, and vignetting and are quite convenient.

Open an F550 RAW file in ACR, click on the 'Lens Corrections' tab (sixth from the left in the right sidebar), click on the 'Profile' tab, select the 'Enable Lens Profile Corrections' option, then under 'Lens Profile' select 'Make' and unfortunately the only option you'll find under 'Fujifilm' is for the X100.

Now that you mention it I do recall it - absence of lens correction - being mentioned by someone here previously. I'd like to check that out later today as I haven't tried that feature or confirmed it. OTOH, I think it's great that Adobe users can maintain their current workflow w/ these camera's RAW files.

metalized
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
In reply to dotbalm, Aug 29, 2011

dotbalm wrote:

Gordon W wrote:

dotbalm wrote:

Gordon W wrote:

...[deleted]..

Now that you mention it I do recall it - absence of lens correction - being mentioned by someone here previously. I'd like to check that out later today as I haven't tried that feature or confirmed it. OTOH, I think it's great that Adobe users can maintain their current workflow w/ these camera's RAW files.

Here is the lens profile from another thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1012&message=39214850

Say thanks to EXR for providing this

PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,183
Like?
In reply to Gordon W, Aug 29, 2011

Gordon W wrote:

You'll have to excuse the quality of the picture but the F550 won't shoot any lower than ISO100. The NR seems to kick in even at ISO100 turning everything to mush.

Paul.

theranman
Like?
In reply to PAUL TILL, Aug 29, 2011

Looks like there's something plain old wrong with either the camera or the focus.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads