Started Aug 18, 2011 | Discussions
Shakaib98
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
how to remove blue haze from your pictures
Aug 18, 2011

Need help with the blue atmospheric haze from photos

Shakaib98's gear list:Shakaib98's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +1 more
beshannon
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,203Gear list
Like?
Re: how to remove blue haze from your pictures
In reply to Shakaib98, Aug 18, 2011

Well if those were the actual sky conditions then it cannot be removed.

You might be able to clean it up a bit by changing the white balance. Also in the future a polarizer might help if you need to shoot at that time of day in that direction
--
My Smugmug photos http://www.brianshannonphotography.com/
My photo blog http://brianshannonphotography.blogspot.com/
My 500px photos http://500px.com/brianshannonphotography/

beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sigma DP2s Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Faintandfuzzy
Senior MemberPosts: 3,328Gear list
Like?
Easy...

....sure, it can be lessened a great deal. Alter the color temperature in raw processing to warm it up. Or, in Photoshop, you can alter the hue to warm it up as well and lessen the blue to increase yellow and red.

Faintandfuzzy's gear list:Faintandfuzzy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Olympus E-10 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 +10 more
Shakaib98
Like?
Re: Easy...
In reply to Faintandfuzzy, Aug 18, 2011

I have tried all that but it does not take all the haze away...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +1 more
Shakaib98
Like?
In reply to beshannon, Aug 18, 2011

Should have taken pictures with polariser filter, these were taken in Snowdon, North Wales in the UK.

flakin stephen
Regular MemberPosts: 359Gear list
Like?

Hi Shakaib,
firstly hope you had some decent weather in-between!

Secondly, if you have photoshop or similar select the area affected and feather it quite a lot, then sharpen it using the unsharp mask set to a large radius (I used 60 on your picture). This brings takes out the murk possibly better than specific contrast tools.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the blueness, as this is perceived quite normally as demonstrating distance.

cheers
Flakey
--
flakey

RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,804Gear list
Like?

what p;hoto editor are you using? Are you shooting in RAW or will your photo editor allow you to open a jpeg in Camera Raw like in PSE? I find that sometimes by boosting contrast and clarity I can clear up some haze.
--
RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D40 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
Faintandfuzzy
Senior MemberPosts: 3,328Gear list
Like?
Sorry

I understood it as you wishing to remove the blue from the haze....

Faintandfuzzy's gear list:Faintandfuzzy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Olympus E-10 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 +10 more
Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,492
Like?

Shakaib98 wrote:

Should have taken pictures with polariser filter, these were taken in Snowdon, North Wales in the UK.

The truth is that haze is a natural phenomenon and should be appreciated for that. If you want clarity - shoot on clear days - simple as that.

Having lived (and climbed and taught photography) in Snoiwdonia for many years, such misty effects are a delight and enhance the scene. Why do you want to remove (or rather, try to remove) such a natural beauty from your scenes?

The polariser would not have helped. Possibly a minus-blue filter (No:12 Yellow) would have done a bit to penetrate the haze (although more effective for eventual B+W output) but nothing can actually remove it. When taking scenes (which are often with such haze) try and get something stronger and closer into the foreground as that can then enhance the 3D effect (eg: rocks, tree(s) building(s), etc. as an idea).

-- hide signature --

Zone8
3 Quotes by Ansel Adams:

"A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into." "A good photograph is knowing where to stand." "Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm

René Schuster
Forum ProPosts: 12,040
Like?
In reply to Zone8, Aug 18, 2011

Zone8 wrote:

The truth is that haze is a natural phenomenon and should be appreciated for that. If you want clarity - shoot on clear days - simple as that.

Having lived (and climbed and taught photography) in Snoiwdonia for many years, such misty effects are a delight and enhance the scene. Why do you want to remove (or rather, try to remove) such a natural beauty from your scenes?

Would have been my reply, too.

René

Dave Martin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,160
Like?
subtract blue haze from your pictures

Here's an example of haze reduction by subtracting background intensity ( a major contribution of haze) then multiplying by the right factor to restore contrast:

The above example subtracted a constant white level. It is also practical to separate the color channels, de-haze each, then merge the result.

It'd be nice to be able to do this with sub regions of the photo because haze increases with distance from the camera (from the bottom to the top of your photo).

James C. Murray
Senior MemberPosts: 1,935
Like?
Re: subtract blue haze from your pictures
In reply to Dave Martin, Aug 18, 2011

You might reach more people in the Digital Darkroom forum who can help however Google produces a number of responses, eg.
http://www.lunacore.com/photoshop/tutorials/tut016.htm

There is a method of haze reduction, (although not specific to a single colour) using passes of USM at various settings. I have used it but I can't find the specific values at the moment but it did work to a degree.
I would try to see if a search brings it up.

From the Digital Darkroom forum;
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1006&message=35442205

ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,836Gear list
Like?

I have read the varied replies posted here - and your comments..

I really have to emphasise that if you really wanted to remove ALL the blue haze in the selected sample pics then it really will destroy much of the quality of the image scenes... in those locations and conditions it really is quite normal to see a certain amount of haze..it just cannot be otherwise in such situation...and indeed it adds quite a necesary amount of 'correctness' to the scene.

But I do agree that in my own experience , and with very many of the recent model cameras, in any such situation you seem to invariably get what I myself also feel is a quite noticeable added 'blueness' ...

I tried various things in PS for some time... then by chance I put on my computer for a quite different purpose, a copy of the fine FREE Faststone Viewer program... it is no competitor (to me at least) to my favourite PS/CS .. but I foiund to my great surprise and satisfaction that if you have such a 'bluey' type pic...open it in Faststone.. highlight it then go to Menu-Colors-Adjust Colors.. and mainly adjust the Blue Channel slider by as much as you feel best..maybe a touch on any other of the Color bars if you like...but almost always, this will give - to me at least - quite a noticeable difference AND a big improvement on the AMOUNT of blue ..that which is just necessary to make a difference.

This is what I got with the second of your pics.. depends on what YOU want of course but I think it does improve it...

-- hide signature --

eric-UK
Staffordshire

pocketfulladoubles
Senior MemberPosts: 1,986
Like?
Re: subtract blue haze from your pictures

Could try a couple things. First, switch to LAB color space and increase curve slope to increase contrast in the b channel. Add an adjustment layer and move highlights from blue toward yellow. Using luminosity values, you can use advanced blending to limit the regions of the mountain in the hazy background. You then could also then covert back to RGB space (Rel Chro or Perceptual) and copy/paste an increased contrast version of the red channel as a mask, and adjust brightness/contrast. Color adjust one more time to move some red/magenta in highlights toward cyan green.

Dave Martin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,160
Like?
subtract background & increase contrast.

Here's a simple background subtraction and contrast increase for a region of your photo.

The histogram of the selected area showed the darkest point to have a value of 54 so I subtracted 50 then multiplied by 3 to get the correction shown. I think it is good.

This is equivalent to using curves and bring the black level up and then increasing contrast in the region to be dehazed.

The main problem is the variation in haze from bottom to top of the photo; I don't know how to make a smooth transition in effect from top to bottom.

This method has good basis in theory as the dominant effect of haze is to add level of brightness due to scattered light to the photo. As I said earlier the effect is often strongest in the blue (depending on the particle size causing the haze) so the colors can be treated separately if necessary.

Shakaib98
Like?
In reply to RaymondR, Aug 18, 2011

Thanks for all the comments from everyone.........that picture was taken in RAW mode @ F11,(the one with the train in it). I am using Bridge as in photoshop, playing with HSL, exposure, white balance, adjustment brush and graduated filters etc, managed to recover a lot of details but still not able to get rid of all the haze. I also tried in photoshop correcting levels in RGB separately and by using sharpening tools but not much luck,

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads