Spade357
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052
Like?
NEX-7 feels larger than the Leica M9?
Aug 16, 2011
John Bean (UK)
Forum ProPosts: 18,034
Like?
Re: NEX-7 feels larger than the Leica M9?
In reply to Spade357, Aug 16, 2011

Spade357 wrote:

It's just a rumor by the way.

http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2011/08/other-rumour-first-sony-nex-7-and-carl.html

Even if I trusted rumours (I don't) I wouldn't trust a single word emanating from "ricehigh". A few years ago he got banned from dpreview for continuous brand-bashing with his worthless self-styled "scientific" tests of Pentax cameras and his over-zealous defence of his "facts" when faced with contradictory facts or opinions.

The internet is full of people who confuse their personal opinion with actual fact, but he is by far the most extreme example I have ever encountered.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [GMT+1 aka BST]

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
True, if we can trust "leaked" photos

The NEX lens' diameters are larger than the height of the NEX 3 and 5, but in the photos the height of the NEX 7 is much greater. The NEX 7 looks to be a lot bigger than a 3 or 5.

Does this matter? Not really. These cameras don't fit in a pocket and use the same APS size lenses. The overall size difference will not be that great because of the lens size.

shlam
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?
Re: True, if we can trust "leaked" photos
In reply to Just Having Fun, Aug 16, 2011

With the added EVF, the NEX-7 looks to be both taller and wider than the NEX-3/5. But it doesn't look all that big, maybe about the same size as the Panasonic GF1 or the Olympus EPL1.

BTW, only in the NEX-5 is the lens mount diameter larger than the perceived height of the camera, not so for NEX-3.

PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,467
Like?
Maybe because of the lens?

Spade357 wrote:

It's just a rumor by the way.

http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2011/08/other-rumour-first-sony-nex-7-and-carl.html

The Leica has pretty small lenses in comparision vs the new Zeiss prime,

odobo
Contributing MemberPosts: 505
Like?
Re: Maybe because of the lens?
In reply to PerL, Aug 16, 2011

If you trust all the leak image... Including the lens side by side comparison and the nex7 with zeiss 24mm.... That didn't look bigger than the m9 to me

fermy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,167
Like?

Just Having Fun wrote:

The NEX lens' diameters are larger than the height of the NEX 3 and 5, but in the photos the height of the NEX 7 is much greater. The NEX 7 looks to be a lot bigger than a 3 or 5.

Does this matter? Not really. These cameras don't fit in a pocket and use the same APS size lenses. The overall size difference will not be that great because of the lens size.

Well, it does. Nex 5 and 3 do fit well in the pocket with many lenses, including 16mm pancake, various SLR lenses up to 50mm, all Contax G lenses, most RF lenses, etc.

John Bean (UK)
Forum ProPosts: 18,034
Like?
In reply to fermy, Aug 16, 2011

fermy wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

Well, it does. Nex 5 and 3 do fit well in the pocket with many lenses, including 16mm pancake, various SLR lenses up to 50mm, all Contax G lenses, most RF lenses, etc.

Yep. To fit in a pocket at least one dimension must be small and in the NEX-5 that's the height. Even with a fairly long lens the camera still fits easily in a coat pocket with the lens lying along the bottom. But if the height of the camera grows it starts to need to occupy a cube - no single dimension is small enough to fit in a narrow space like a pocket.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [GMT+1 aka BST]

shlam
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?
In reply to John Bean (UK), Aug 16, 2011

Yes, John, you are so right. Even the NEX-3 with 18-55 kit lens fits in my pocket. But I don't think the NEX-7 will. Looks like to only way the NEX-7 can fit in a pocket is with a pancake lens.

Rooru S
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
In reply to shlam, Aug 16, 2011

Do you realize the NEX-7 is not intended to fit a pocket? I'm sure, the advertising of the NEX-7 will be something like "Professional performance on a small package". Not as NEX-3/5/C3 with the "Professional Quality in your pocket" motto.

shlam wrote:

Yes, John, you are so right. Even the NEX-3 with 18-55 kit lens fits in my pocket. But I don't think the NEX-7 will. Looks like to only way the NEX-7 can fit in a pocket is with a pancake lens.

Rooru S's gear list:Rooru S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W170 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +6 more
rishi o'
Senior MemberPosts: 1,367Gear list
Like?
I hope it doesn't fit in my pocket
In reply to Rooru S, Aug 16, 2011

Rooru S wrote:

Do you realize the NEX-7 is not intended to fit a pocket? I'm sure, the advertising of the NEX-7 will be something like "Professional performance on a small package". Not as NEX-3/5/C3 with the "Professional Quality in your pocket" motto.

Right on! I don't understand the obsession with all NEX cameras fitting in the pocket. Nobody tries to fit a canon 7d in the pocket. NEX is not just about small cameras, it's reinventing the DSLR and being small is almost a side effect of that. I wouldn't be surprised if the NEX 7 is the top quality aps-c camera in the market when it comes out! Hope to sell my Canon 7d and my 35 f/2 and 85 f/1.8 and replace it with a smaller, lighter and higher quality camera - The Sony NEX 7 with the 24 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.8.

It better be smaller than my 7d but it's okay if it doesnt' fit in my pocket...

-- hide signature --
Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
World goes down ...

The NEX-7 feels larger than the Leica M9

Oh god, oh god, oh god.
What if Nex-7 is larger than M10, M11, M13, M15 ?

dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,425Gear list
Like?
Bigger might be better.

Just Having Fun wrote:

If the leaked photos are real, I think the 7 might be a much better match for the 18-200 zoom. Can't wait to give it a try.
--
-------------------------------------------------
'Hit Refresh if pix do not appear. Flaky ISP at work.'

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
gfrensen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,627
Like?

Besdides it being a rumor it is some silly statement. It stated that the camera FEELS larger then the M9. that does not mean it IS bigger then an M9! It is like telling people my Nex5 feels bigger then my A700, does that makes it bigger then an A700?

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,254Gear list
Like?
How can a camera that thin

............ Feel larger than a fat porky M9 , that's one deep rangefinder body.

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
JPG
JPG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?

'It's just a rumor by the way'. I think that about tells it all.

Incidentlly, I have my Leica R Simmilux f/1.4 attached to my NEX-5. Now that's what you call 'big and heavy', so what's the problem with that?

headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?

Spade357
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052
Like?
Re: World goes down ...
In reply to Knallberto, Aug 16, 2011

Knallberto wrote:

The NEX-7 feels larger than the Leica M9

Oh god, oh god, oh god.
What if Nex-7 is larger than M10, M11, M13, M15 ?

It's actually a good thing really and this way, people won't talk about how "massive" the NEX lens are. As long as not larger than the Fuji X100. It's all good to me.

Raffwal
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?
In reply to headofdestiny, Aug 16, 2011

Judging by the NEX-7 picture and comparing it to the NEX-5, I find it difficult to believe the 7 could be even close to an M9.

Joesiv
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,343Gear list
Like?

By looking at the rear part of the new lens, a new idea about the future (and development) of the NEX/E system can be got! What secret then? Full Frame ILDC system?

If they go FF with NEX, count me in! what are the other posibilities, 16x9? Maybe extra pins... ?
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Nikon D700, Panasonic L1, Olympus e-510
http://www.joesiv.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads