Canon 50d for a 5d mk1?

Started Aug 15, 2011 | Discussions
rbadiola
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Canon 50d for a 5d mk1?
Aug 15, 2011

For years I've been happy shooting with my Canon rebel xt and my 50d. Both of them in my opinion are excellent cameras. I have used my 50d as my main camera and usually keep my rebel xt as a backup.

I have minor gripes about the 50d which I've learned to just ignore or get around. The biggest gripe I have about it is the noise especially when shooting images that have a lot of shadow areas...even if I shoot at ISO 100.

At work I use a 5d mk2. The image quality on that camera is outstanding...even if viewed at 100%. Being a pixel peeper, you would see the difference between the image quality of a full frame camera and a non full frame one, not counting the coverage you get with wide angle lenses. I have a 35mm prime lens that I've used on my 50d. I used it on the 5d and the differences between the focal point are tremendous. Now I start to wonder if it's time for me to switch to a full frame camera.

A 5d mk2 is unquestionably a camera that I would buy in a heartbeat if I had $2300. Considering I just paid off my credit card I used to buy a 70-200 2.8 IS USM, I pretty much swore to myself not to buy anything big for a while. I think I would need a newer Imac than a new camera body.

A thought came into my mind if I should sell my 50d and add a couple of hundreds of dollars to get an original 5d. I really don't care about video or the high megapixel count of the mk2. All I care about is the full frame sensor, and the ISO 50 that the 5d has, which in my opinion are the 2 biggest selling points of the 5d to me. My question is...are these 2 features enough for me to consider losing the faster burst speed, the faster flash sync speed, a more advanced digic 4 processor of the 50d? I know it all depends on how I use the camera. I just wanted a couple of opinions on this thought.

Thanks.

whvick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,959
Like?
Re: Canon 50d for a 5d mk1?
In reply to rbadiola, Aug 15, 2011

I agree that the 5Dm2 is hands down better than a 50D. I was at a family function yesterday, and my niece's 5D with 50mm/1.2 and 430ex, just blew away my 50d and kit 28-135, and 430ex. I did not have time to try her 50mm on my camera...maybe that was a lot of the difference.

However, the 50 is a great camera and the 1.6x crop can be a big help. Also the 5d M3 should be out within a year...my advise is to save for a year and go for the newest bestest. Of course it depends on what you are currently shooting. If no birds and all portraits and such....then a 5D now may be the thing to try. But I would try to buy it outright and not trade the 50. If anything trade the rebel if you can get anything for it. Changing back and forth from a rebel to a 5D would be much more noticeable than from a 50D to a 5D where the controls and accessory wheel are much more the same.

regards
whvick

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CarloSalt
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
In reply to whvick, Aug 15, 2011

Make sure you understand exactly what the 5D can and can't do as you may regret it.

For example I was told you get dust on sensor issues with the 5D as it doesn't have an auto sensor clean function. Also going to a full frame will present you with a different set of photographic issues.

-- hide signature --
Ross Murphy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937Gear list
Like?

I have had both and if you are after better IQ the 5D blows away the 50D, both new and old FF cameras get dust, the older are more prone but not a huge issue if you take care.

Ross
--
Image's In Light
http://rossmurphy.zenfolio.com/
http://imagesinlightnw.blogspot.com/

Ross Murphy's gear list:Ross Murphy's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Rakumi
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,151
Like?

I think you should get the idea of FF being better regardless of the age of the sensor. 5D original is very old. It is not going to give you the same results as the 5DII. You might be better off looking at a 60D which has a better sensor over the 50D.
--

Darkness is the monster and your shutter is your sword, aperture your shield and iso your armor. Strike fast with your sword and defend well with your shield and hope your armor holds up.

ronzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,283
Like?
In reply to Rakumi, Aug 15, 2011

A 60D IMHO has a much compromised control layout compared to a 7D if you go to an APS-C camera. I went two years ago from a 35mm film (Elan II) to the 50D and all of the controls the controls plus the digital functions were right there on the body. There was no compromise in the ergonomics of button/joystick combo functions that you find on the 60D.

One consideration in moving from an APS-C sensor to FF is that any EF-S lenses for crop sensors you have now will not work on a FF sensor camera.
--
Ron Ginsberg
Minneapolis, MN
Land of 10,000 Puddles

kgwhite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,526Gear list
Like?

I just started looking in on this forum again after being away from Canon for the past several months. I shot a 5D and 40D side-by-side for a couple of years. When looking through my archives the 5D photos can be picked out immediately. The image quality of 5D is just so much better. The best of them are simply beautiful to look at with smooth tonal range and great color.

I've been trying to decide whether I should buy another 5D or new crop body. After looking around all summer I bought a 60D last weekend. I don't think the image quality will be any better than my best 5D images but it does have a newer processing pipeline, larger image size to accommodate cropping and no dust issues.

The bottom line for me is that even the newest 5D is an obsolete camera. I couldn't find one I thought would be in excellent shape without paying too high a premium. Really low shutter count 5D bodies regularly go for $1200-$1400. You can find them cheaper but most are used up. The current price for a 5D Mark II refurb on the Canon site is $1999 (in stock as of yesterday).

rbadiola
Like?
In reply to ronzie, Aug 15, 2011

I've heard that the 60d has a way better sensor than the 50d. The thing is, I don't see a point of upgrading from a crop sensor body to another crop sensor body. The 50d is the 50d...it's almost as good as you can get except for the 7d. For almost the same amount of money for a used 5dmk2 and a new 7d, I'd go with the 5dmk2. But as I have said, I don't have 2 grand to spend on a body right now.

I have used full frame cameras at work. As I have said, I have used a 5dmk2. I don't see anything negative about it except for the price. The differences between the focal lengths of a ff and a crop body camera is not new to me. The thing that I am not familiar with is the original 5d. I have never handled one. If the original 5d is so much better than the 50d in IQ, I guess I'd go with that. The thing I'm worried about is the slower burst speed, and the slower flash sync speed. I guess that's what it is...a give and take situation.

I'm not worried about the lenses I have right now either if I switch to a ff camera, as 5 out of my 6 lenses are ef lenses.

whvick
Like?
In reply to rbadiola, Aug 16, 2011

rbadiola wrote:

I'm not worried about the lenses I have right now either if I switch to a ff camera, as 5 out of my 6 lenses are ef lenses.

Are the just EF or EF L? It does not make sense to go driving a Ferrari with truck tires!
whvick

rbadiola
Like?
In reply to kgwhite, Aug 16, 2011

Yeah, usually you would find a used one for a thousand dollars or more. Adorama sells them for 1299 in excellent condition as what the site says. I was thinking for 1299 I might as well save more money to buy a refurbished 5d mk2.

rbadiola
Like?
In reply to whvick, Aug 16, 2011

4 of them are ef lenses, 1 is an ef-L lens which is my 70-200 IS USM.

I usually prefer to buy a very good prime ef lens than an L zoom lens.

The 70-200 though is a exception though. As we all know how good these lenses are no matter what

whvick
Like?

rbadiola wrote:

The 70-200 though is a exception though. As we all know how good these lenses are no matter what

Yes and no! I have a very nice EF 85mm/f1.8, but my niece's L 85/f1.2 is definitely better, whether on her 40D or her 5dM2.

The 70-200 is legendary for a zoom.

Just to be nosy, which primes do you have?

regards
whvick

konst1977
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?

I have a 60D. I've been having thoughts about trading it for 5D mkI primarily because Canon doesn't have fast decent wide angle (in the 17mm vicinity) primes for crop bodies. Anyway, sticking with my 60D for now.

Rakumi
Like?

it is the fact that you have a budget that the 60d makes sense. You said you would choose the 5dII over the 7d, but the 60d gives you 7d results for about $900 which is truly not bad. So you must ask youself what do you think is better results, 60d or 5d original? Not only may it actually be that the 60d is better sensor, but for a fact the hardware offers way more.
--

Darkness is the monster and your shutter is your sword, aperture your shield and iso your armor. Strike fast with your sword and defend well with your shield and hope your armor holds up.

Rakumi
Like?

no, i get what he is saying. He is saying he prefers say the 85mm 1.8 over say a zoom lens of the same range that is an L.

whvick wrote:

rbadiola wrote:

Yes and no! I have a very nice EF 85mm/f1.8, but my niece's L 85/f1.2 is definitely better, whether on her 40D or her 5dM2.

regards
whvick

-- hide signature --

whvick
Like?
In reply to Rakumi, Aug 16, 2011

It is just that I have seen so many guys write that you have to have really good lenses to get the best out of a 7D, so how much moreso with a 5D, especially a 5DM2.

I guess I should probably go back to the way the OP shoots. Birds and such stick with the 50D. Lots of portraits, the 5D would probably be some better...the 5DM2 better still. I have never touched a 5D, I can only speak for my niece's 5DM2, and I am really impressed. But like I said, she is a pro, and really only uses L primes. At rugby matches she tends to use the 5D with my very old EF 70-210 constant f4 push pull. I think that lens pulls the 5dm2 down a little and she would do just as well with her 40D. But she turns around and gets a lot of casual portraits of the families so I guess she does the zoom for the game and changes lenses to her L 85 for the portraits.
Good luck with your decision
whvick

Rakumi wrote:

no, i get what he is saying. He is saying he prefers say the 85mm 1.8 over say a zoom lens of the same range that is an L.

whvick wrote:

rbadiola wrote:

regards
whvick

-- hide signature --

rbadiola
Like?

an EF 85mm 1.8 and an L 85mm f2 are both prime lenses. I am comparing an EF prime lens to an L ZOOM lens.

I have the 35mm f2, the 50mm 1.8, and the 100mm macro.

rbadiola
Like?
In reply to Rakumi, Aug 16, 2011

If I had a 60d I would keep it. It really is comparable to the 7d. I would never trade it for a 5d mk1 if I had one. The 50d I suppose does not handle noise the same as a 60d. If I had a 60d, the only way to go is up so I'd say I'd upgrade to a 5dmk2 not the mk1.

Rakumi
Like?

No, what I am saying is instead of thinking of trading the 50D for the 5DI, trade the 50D for the 60D.

rbadiola wrote:

If I had a 60d I would keep it. It really is comparable to the 7d. I would never trade it for a 5d mk1 if I had one. The 50d I suppose does not handle noise the same as a 60d. If I had a 60d, the only way to go is up so I'd say I'd upgrade to a 5dmk2 not the mk1.

-- hide signature --

whvick
Like?

Thanks for that info!

How do you like the 100? Do you use it a lot for portraits? I had a hard time deciding between that and the 85.

I have a very old 50 1.8 which is well spoken in the threads, but does not hold a candle next to the 85 or to the L lenses.

I cannot speak to the 35, although like you I like to use primes when I can, and my next purchase may be a 35, although I may go with a non AF of another brand.

Again, I like several others would hold out for the 5dM2. My niece's is an amazing machine, and the images are pristine with the L primes.

regards
whvick

rbadiola wrote:

an EF 85mm 1.8 and an L 85mm f2 are both prime lenses. I am comparing an EF prime lens to an L ZOOM lens.

I have the 35mm f2, the 50mm 1.8, and the 100mm macro.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads