question to Sigma 8-16mm users

Started Aug 14, 2011 | Discussions
ManuH
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,898
Like?
question to Sigma 8-16mm users
Aug 14, 2011

I just got my Sigma 8-16mm and my copy seems good optically however the AF hunts like crazy on my K-5 (and the same on a K10D). It will go back and forth and sometimes will find focus sometimes not. Liveview AF is a little better but still not perfect. And the problem seems even more sensible at close focus.

Is it something experienced by other 8-16 users or I will have to return or to send it for fixing?

Bich
Contributing MemberPosts: 949
Like?
Re: question to Sigma 8-16mm users
In reply to ManuH, Aug 14, 2011

same problem for me.
--
Jacques Bijtebier

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PG Thomas
Contributing MemberPosts: 514Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bich, Aug 14, 2011

Have you tried reducing the number of focus points to 5 - or just using spot focus?

Methinks that the hyperfocal distance of this lens must be practicaly 1m to Infinity! So I guess any AF system would have problems.

Clearly the K5 doesn't 'know' this lens. I wonder if, in future, this could be possible feature of the Menu, As I guess critical focus is somewhat irrelevent.

Pete

PG Thomas's gear list:PG Thomas's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Philnw2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,230Gear list
Like?
In reply to PG Thomas, Aug 14, 2011

The 10-20 had AF problems at 10mm but these went away at 12mm and up.

I always thought it had to do with the focus areas being so close together, that focus was pretty much irrelevant at lower FL. I used to just set the manual focus ring at just below 3' and it worked well at that setting for DOF to infinity.

I suspect you will find something similar for the 8-16
Phil B
K20D, K10D

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Pentax K-3
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,445Gear list
Like?

No problems here.

I always choose my focus point manually and use the back button AF, with no AFing on the shutter release. Actually, I think it's fast and stealthy, but it's my only HSM lens.

I would make sense if the AF system get confused on what to focus on, given all the things that you can fit in the frame at 8mm!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Ishpuini
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,040Gear list
Like?
In reply to miles green, Aug 14, 2011

miles green wrote:

No problems here.

I always choose my focus point manually and use the back button AF, with no AFing on the shutter release. Actually, I think it's fast and stealthy, but it's my only HSM lens.

I would make sense if the AF system get confused on what to focus on, given all the things that you can fit in the frame at 8mm!

Same here. No problems, and I work the same way.

Wim

-- hide signature --

Belgium, GMT+1

Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +14 more
ManuH
Like?

miles green wrote:

Maybe for relatively distant subject. But when I try to get closer in the below 1m range, most of the time it just give up. I have used the Sigma 10-20mm, Pentax 12-24mm, DA 15mm and DA 10-17mm and never ever experienced something like that on an ultrawide. Even when set at 16mm my Sigma 8-16mm is still hunting.

This is very important to know if this behaviour is on all the 8-16 or just mine. So I know if it has to be fixed or returned (and mourn by just sold 12-24).

Twong
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?

I have the 8-16 for almost a month and never experienced any problem close up or distant objects on my K5 or Kx. I also have a Sigma 10-20 and no problem either.

Twong's gear list:Twong's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +16 more
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,445Gear list
Like?

I fear it's just yours. Sorry.
Mine works like a charm, a true architectural workhorse, fast and razor sharp.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Kyogle
Regular MemberPosts: 485Gear list
Like?
Fine on my K10D

Focuses more or less instantly on distances closer than 1 meter. Fine for all other distances too.
--
David, an Australian living in the Highlands of Scotland.

Kyogle's gear list:Kyogle's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +7 more
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,421
Like?

Two things that other people have mentioned can work together for you: even at its longest FL of 16mm its hyperfocal distance at f/6.7 is only 6ft (2m) so everything from 3ft (1m) to infinity should be in focus if you set your range to 6ft (and all the distances are halved when you go out to 8mm). However, this isn't that easy do so what I do is use single focus point and select the one below centre in whichever orirntaion I hold the camera.

This means you don't focus at the exact hyperfocal distance but you do pick something in the reasonably near foreground. With just the one, reasonably close area that is big enough to show reasonable contrast, focus is near enough instant.

Try doing the same with yours: if it is still slow to focus the lens is faulty.

Photozone hasn't tested this lens on Pentax but f/6.7 is the single aperture that seems to give the best compromise between centre and edge resolution at all focal lengths when tested on Canon.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1983, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

fotobert
Contributing MemberPosts: 582Gear list
Like?
mine too

...but I don't worry about this. When stopped down to f9 you don't have to focus at all

Albert

fotobert's gear list:fotobert's gear list
Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +10 more
ManuH
Like?
Re: mine too
In reply to fotobert, Aug 15, 2011

fotobert wrote:

...but I don't worry about this. When stopped down to f9 you don't have to focus at all

That's OK for distant subjects but for close subjects, I cannot accept that. No other lens does this, even my DA 10-17 which also has a huge DOF. I'm going to test another 8-16 if I can.

ManuH
Like?
UPDATE: It's fixed
In reply to ManuH, Feb 21, 2012

ManuH wrote:

I just got my Sigma 8-16mm and my copy seems good optically however the AF hunts like crazy on my K-5 (and the same on a K10D). It will go back and forth and sometimes will find focus sometimes not. Liveview AF is a little better but still not perfect. And the problem seems even more sensible at close focus.

Is it something experienced by other 8-16 users or I will have to return or to send it for fixing?

An update for those who have the same problem: it's fixed.

I had to send it to Gentec (repairs Sigma in Canada) two times. The first time they returned me the lens pretending it was fixed but it was worse: it was electronically dead (No communication at all with the camera). The second time they did it right and now the lens doesn't not hunt anymore and is quite fast to reach focus. Although sometimes it gets past infinity but I guess it's normal for such an ultrawide.

The repair time was about 6 weeks in each case. Which means I couldn't use this lens for a few months. I'm not that impressed with Sigma/Gentec. Pentax has been much faster for me.

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,130
Like?
Re: UPDATE: It's fixed
In reply to ManuH, Feb 21, 2012

I guess its different when you live just 40 minutes away from Gentec and you get to know the guys working there... 6 week turn around time with shipping ain't that bad, i've heard of people complain about 3 month turn around times at Pentax Canada. for me i just drive the lens over and sometimes have them ship it back, sometimes i pick it up myself. But then that would be a long haul for you. Sometimes the service people miss the problem but then that happens with every service company.
--
Mike from Canada

"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

t3hh
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Re: UPDATE: It's fixed
In reply to ManuH, Feb 24, 2012

The repair time was about 6 weeks in each case. Which means I couldn't use this lens for a few months. I'm not that impressed with Sigma/Gentec. Pentax has been much faster for me.

I wish I could say that it's the prize you have to pay for using Sigma. But then I remembered how I had to return my FA 31mmLt after six months of using. I guess these are the times we are living in when it doesn't really matter how expensive/cheap equipment you buy - you never can be sure about the quality. BTW I also happen to own Sigma 8-16 and I love it!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads