MOST compact /shortest 28-200/270 lens?

Started Aug 13, 2011 | Discussions
johnparas11zenfoliodotcom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,206Gear list
Like?
MOST compact /shortest 28-200/270 lens?
Aug 13, 2011

what is the most compact and shortest 28-200/ 28-250/ 28-270 or 18-200 lens made for nikon/nikon mount?

any Nikon branded/sigma tokina or tamron brands also may be mentioned..

I don;t know nowadays i just want the smallest lens with the most zoom-- for my DSLR..

and yes I have the nikon 18-200 VR I have in my arsenal.. but i find it too big..

I am just thinking of having a lens with the most zoom but least space that it occupies in my carry on bag when i travel..

so far I have the NIkon brand 35-80-- and for me it is small/short and compact and the lens barrel not too thick..

-- hide signature --

this lens will be for my Nikon D90--

can anyone indulge me if you know any info?

oh, I have the tamron 28-200 (old/for film version/FX lens) and that is shorter than my Nikon.. I was just wondering if there is something else more compact..

--
http://www.johnparas11.zenfolio.com

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list:johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D90 Nikon D300S Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 +6 more
Skywalker23
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163Gear list
Like?
Re: MOST compact /shortest 28-200/270 lens?
In reply to johnparas11zenfoliodotcom, Aug 13, 2011

The Tamron 18-270mm PZD is the smallest, I believe.

-- hide signature --

Visit my Flickr!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/argonalex/

I own two lenses which are older than I am.

Skywalker23's gear list:Skywalker23's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X 17-35mm f/4 Pro FX
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Like?
In reply to Skywalker23, Aug 13, 2011

i think so too..
but scroll down below-- it is not much smaller/shorter than the nikon 18-200

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&thread=38953396&page=2

most probably i will just dream for a bridge camera that has DSLR speed

Skywalker23 wrote:

The Tamron 18-270mm PZD is the smallest, I believe.

-- hide signature --

Visit my Flickr!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/argonalex/

I own two lenses which are older than I am.

lac111
Senior MemberPosts: 2,771Gear list
Like?

If the lens doesn't have to be new or current and doesn't have to have VR or AF-S then you can't beat the Nikon 28-200mmG for performance and size and weight. It's a real gem that's been discontinued a couple of years now, so you have to buy it on the secondary market. I'll never sell mine, it's sharp, so small and compact, has a very short min focus distance and it's great right at 200mm. I realize many people now only want VR and AF-S, but that adds to weight and size. Maybe worth considering?

Lora
--
Lora
Profile is wrong, I've been on Dpreview since June 2006.

Like?
In reply to lac111, Aug 13, 2011

Thanks Lora!!

since you have this lens-- would you mind taking a photo of it compared with any other lens you have?
maybe some other nikon lenses? or a can of soda or something

sometimes even reading the specs (i went to keh.com and ebay) it is hard to imagine how big it is for real sometimes, unless it is shot with another object that is of known scale

only if you can do my request! thanks
now you gave me an idea for my next lens quest

Ken Rockwell (i Know it is Ken Rockwell-- whatever people feel about him)..

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28200g.htm

he says that the zooming is reverse than most nikon lenses (ala Canon zoom lenses).. I guess something I might need to get used to, I used a cousin's Canon DSLR with a 18-200 lens-- yeah i found it weird to zoom the other way how my nikon brained worked..

" It's quite nice, except that the zoom ring turns in the opposite direction from most other Nikon zooms. Boy, is this stupid. " Ken Rockwell

lac111 wrote:

If the lens doesn't have to be new or current and doesn't have to have VR or AF-S then you can't beat the Nikon 28-200mmG for performance and size and weight. It's a real gem that's been discontinued a couple of years now, so you have to buy it on the secondary market. I'll never sell mine, it's sharp, so small and compact, has a very short min focus distance and it's great right at 200mm. I realize many people now only want VR and AF-S, but that adds to weight and size. Maybe worth considering?

Lora
--
Lora

RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,163Gear list
Like?

what is the most compact and shortest 28-200/ 28-250/ 28-270 or 18-200 lens made for nikon/nikon mount?

any Nikon branded/sigma tokina or tamron brands also may be mentioned..

I don;t know nowadays i just want the smallest lens with the most zoom-- for my DSLR..

and yes I have the nikon 18-200 VR I have in my arsenal.. but i find it too big..

I am just thinking of having a lens with the most zoom but least space that it occupies in my carry on bag when i travel..

so far I have the NIkon brand 35-80-- and for me it is small/short and compact and the lens barrel not too thick..

-- hide signature --

this lens will be for my Nikon D90--

can anyone indulge me if you know any info?

oh, I have the tamron 28-200 (old/for film version/FX lens) and that is shorter than my Nikon.. I was just wondering if there is something else more compact..

Hi!

Just curious as to the other lenses that you use and some of your brief opinions about them. Specifically, do you have any "non-compact" lenses that you really like?

When I was buying my first SLR, I was also interested in its compactness. However, eventually other factors became more important to me so I'm probably not going to be much of a help to you.

Good Luck!

RB

http://www.pbase.com/rbfresno/profile

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Like?
In reply to RBFresno, Aug 13, 2011

I have different lenses for different purposes ..

I have the nIkon 70-300 VR for shooting sports when my son plays football.
I have a vivitar 100mm macro-- for macro
i have primes nikon AF 50mm D, AF 20mm, AFS 35mm (DX)..
I have the Nikon E series 50mm MF lens-- it is my "pancake" lens

i have the nikon 18-200 version 1 (no zoom creep lock) -- it is my most used lens on family parties..
I have the nikon 18-70 (DX) --... , nikon 35-80, nikon 24-50..

let us just say all in all i m happy with whatever i have..i am not a pixel peeper, i usually shoot in "A" at about 5.6 or so to get (usually ) the maximum sharpness if i want that--depends on subject etc...

with this thread i created.. I was just trying to see if i can find the most zoom range in the smallest package.. for my travel needs..

I actually just bought the nikon 24-50 recently-- just to see if i can make that as a travel lens-- at least that is a 36-75mm equivalent-- the usual range of my shooting needs on my travels... but then i figured why not look for something with a longer telephoto end? hence the thread maybe i want to to shoot the top of the eiffel tower or something-- just more flexibility

but anyway-- for whatever lenses you will get i really believe no matter what lens that has been made within the last 20 years i think will be good enough and if used properly it will give you images that will not be out of focus/HOLGA look.. i am sure they will be sharp enough...nd will give you clear pictures-- as long as you ar enot a pixel peeper/chromatic aberration seeker type of a photographer..

I mean unless one is getting paid for teh pictures...but for family vacation and party pictures-- any lens will do just fine..In MY HUMBLE OPINION

RBFresno wrote:

Hi!

Just curious as to the other lenses that you use and some of your brief opinions about them. Specifically, do you have any "non-compact" lenses that you really like?

When I was buying my first SLR, I was also interested in its compactness. However, eventually other factors became more important to me so I'm probably not going to be much of a help to you.

Good Luck!

RB

lac111
Like?
In reply to johnparas11zenfoliodotcom, Aug 14, 2011

John I was going to take some comparitive shots, but got real busy today. I remembered this review on Nikonians and there are some comparitive shots for size with a few lenses on a camera body. If this isn't helpful I'm happy to take some shots, let me know. There will never be a lens like this with this range at this size and weight. It doesn't compare in IQ to many "pro" lenses, and it does have a plastic lens mount (no issues so far), but it is very good.

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/nikkor-28-200g/

Lora

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom wrote:
Thanks Lora!!

since you have this lens-- would you mind taking a photo of it compared with any other lens you have?
maybe some other nikon lenses? or a can of soda or something

sometimes even reading the specs (i went to keh.com and ebay) it is hard to imagine how big it is for real sometimes, unless it is shot with another object that is of known scale

only if you can do my request! thanks
now you gave me an idea for my next lens quest

Ken Rockwell (i Know it is Ken Rockwell-- whatever people feel about him)..

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28200g.htm

he says that the zooming is reverse than most nikon lenses (ala Canon zoom lenses).. I guess something I might need to get used to, I used a cousin's Canon DSLR with a 18-200 lens-- yeah i found it weird to zoom the other way how my nikon brained worked..

" It's quite nice, except that the zoom ring turns in the opposite direction from most other Nikon zooms. Boy, is this stupid. " Ken Rockwell

lac111 wrote:

Lora
--
Lora

-- hide signature --

Lora

Like?
In reply to lac111, Aug 14, 2011

Thanks Lora... The link was good.. Of ourse unless you find time although itvseems the 28-200 is about the same size as the nikon 24-50

RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,163Gear list
Like?

I have different lenses for different purposes ..

I have the nIkon 70-300 VR for shooting sports when my son plays football.
I have a vivitar 100mm macro-- for macro
i have primes nikon AF 50mm D, AF 20mm, AFS 35mm (DX)..
I have the Nikon E series 50mm MF lens-- it is my "pancake" lens

i have the nikon 18-200 version 1 (no zoom creep lock) -- it is my most used lens on family parties..
I have the nikon 18-70 (DX) --... , nikon 35-80, nikon 24-50..

let us just say all in all i m happy with whatever i have..i am not a pixel peeper, i usually shoot in "A" at about 5.6 or so to get (usually ) the maximum sharpness if i want that--depends on subject etc...

with this thread i created.. I was just trying to see if i can find the most zoom range in the smallest package.. for my travel needs..

I actually just bought the nikon 24-50 recently-- just to see if i can make that as a travel lens-- at least that is a 36-75mm equivalent-- the usual range of my shooting needs on my travels... but then i figured why not look for something with a longer telephoto end? hence the thread maybe i want to to shoot the top of the eiffel tower or something-- just more flexibility

but anyway-- for whatever lenses you will get i really believe no matter what lens that has been made within the last 20 years i think will be good enough and if used properly it will give you images that will not be out of focus/HOLGA look.. i am sure they will be sharp enough...nd will give you clear pictures-- as long as you ar enot a pixel peeper/chromatic aberration seeker type of a photographer..

I mean unless one is getting paid for teh pictures...but for family vacation and party pictures-- any lens will do just fine..In MY HUMBLE OPINION

RBFresno wrote:
Hi!

Good Luck!

Hi!

It's helpful seeing the equipment list and even more helpful hearing a bit about your shooting needs!

Here's a somewhat long winded thought.

27 years ago, a few months after I had bought my first SLR (a Minolta X-700), I was in the Washington D.C. area for the last year of my formal training.

I had a patient who I soon discovered, had been a White House photographer for years.

I was excited and of course started talking about photo equipment. I soon discovered that he had just about every Nikon piece of equipment that he wanted, which was alot!

Then he added, "You know,some of my favorite photos recently have been with a little 35mm Nikon point and shoot. It has good image quality, pretty accurate autofocus, and it's so easy to unobtrusively carry. I can quickly capture some moments that I might have not otherwise got with the bigger camera."

I was a little surprised, but never forgot the interaction. That's why I sometimes often carry a point and shoot and sometimes keep it in the outside pocket of my gear bag.

Anyway, the thought is, when needing a really compact camera, why not one of the many excellent point and shoots? They are very compact, have the great zoom range that you desire, and not being a pixel peeper, you may well be pleased with the results!

Best Regards,

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
lac111
Like?

Ok John. The only lens I own that you do is the 70-300VR so I included that. I thought you might know the size of the Nikon 85mm f1.8D and most 90-100mm macros are similar in size though not weight. I looked up some specs and it seems this 28-200mmG is very close in size and weight to the Nikon 18-70mm which you own. Anyway here it is hope this helps: from left to right Nikon 70-300VR, Tokina 100mm, Nikon 28-200mmG, Nikon 85mm f1.8D

Obviously, I don't know if you'll like the Nikon 28-200G, but it does fit your criteria and it's very good in all respects.

Lora

Thanks Lora... The link was good.. Of ourse unless you find time although itvseems the 28-200 is about the same size as the nikon 24-50

-- hide signature --

Lora

Freedolin
Regular MemberPosts: 483
Like?
In reply to RBFresno, Aug 14, 2011

To answer the initial question: the most compact is (from my experience) the Tamron 18-250. However, that lens has no optical stabilization and I guess you'd miss that soon if you currently own the 18-200 VR.

RBFresno wrote:

Anyway, the thought is, when needing a really compact camera, why not one of the many excellent point and shoots? They are very compact, have the great zoom range that you desire, and not being a pixel peeper, you may well be pleased with the results!

Either that or, for some better quality, one of the mirror less solutions available. Or wait for Nikon's upcoming mirror less solution.

-- hide signature --

Markus
-- Nikon lens reviews, photozone.de

Like?
In reply to lac111, Aug 14, 2011

Thanks Lora! I really appreciate the effort! I have the nikon 85mm f/1.8 too which i have forgotten to mention in one of my replies here.. with years of acquiring lenses for specialized stuff and changing photo styles/needs ...

I did not realize the Tokina 100mm is that big! my vivitar 100mm macro is like a nikon 35-80 in size and of course the built quality is none compared to the tokina--but it is sharp(the vivitar is) !

I really like the nikon 28-200 G.. Also just in case i upgrade to FX body in the future, it is a "flexible" lens compared if i get a DX lens (regardless of brand) ..

Now it is time to save some money for it because it sells for a price like it was new!

i hope this thread also helps someone like me in similar "dilemma"

THANKS AGAIN!

lac111 wrote:

Ok John. The only lens I own that you do is the 70-300VR so I included that. I thought you might know the size of the Nikon 85mm f1.8D and most 90-100mm macros are similar in size though not weight. I looked up some specs and it seems this 28-200mmG is very close in size and weight to the Nikon 18-70mm which you own. Anyway here it is hope this helps: from left to right Nikon 70-300VR, Tokina 100mm, Nikon 28-200mmG, Nikon 85mm f1.8D

Obviously, I don't know if you'll like the Nikon 28-200G, but it does fit your criteria and it's very good in all respects.

Lora

-- hide signature --

Lora

Like?
In reply to Freedolin, Aug 14, 2011

To: Freedolin:

I went to photozone.de i checked out the tamron 18-250 too! hhmm that is another choice

To: RBFresno:

-- hide signature --

and yes I have thought about just bringing my Canon G12, which i have done before but sometimes the responsiveness of a DSLR is one thing that i really miss!

If I can just manually zoom on a G12--instead of a power zoom, of course the shutter lag too.. it is a great camera of course, but again sometimes in my travels i just miss the DSLR responsiveness of my D90...

now only if Nikon made a D5100 with AF motor in the body and as fast/responsive of say my D90 or higher level Nikon bodies.. that would be a perfect camera for me + just pair with a nikon 18-70 or the nikon 28-200 Lora is suggesting.. it is not as compact as the Canon g12...but again the responsiveness of a DSLR is what i am after..

which makes me want to add-- I have the Olympus E-PL2 with teh 14-42 kit lens-- and yes it is compact/small-- it is what i bring now for my travels..but the lack of EVF, and not as fast as my D90.. is sometimes what frustrates me in the handling/use area..

SO anyway-- i did not talk about Image Quality at all because I am not a pixel peeper and I am pretty much happy with the IQ of the cameras I have mentioned so no need to extoll the IQ's of any of these cameras or lenses I have focused more on the handling, responsiveness, user experience, portability/compactness areas

I guess i am just trying to find a balance for me..and it seems...my number one priority is the responsiveness of a camera (which I can find in a DSLR for now -- because I really can't afford the new OLympus E-P3 which they say has the fastest AF in Contrast detect focusing system ) ...

so me having settled for the camera that i have the D90--( no need to buy a new cam or to reaLLY GET into a new system- like the micro 4/3-- the E-PL2 and kit lens is all I want for now), I am now looking for a compact lens to go with the D90.. at first i was going to settle for the NIkon 35-80 for my travels(it is really small and compact) -- even if i have the other lenses mentioned... but i figured i might as well to look/research also for a long range zoom. hence this thread. which of course now we have the 28-200 nikon and the Tamron 18-250..as a result

thanks all for the input!!

Freedolin wrote:

To answer the initial question: the most compact is (from my experience) the Tamron 18-250. However, that lens has no optical stabilization and I guess you'd miss that soon if you currently own the 18-200 VR.

RBFresno wrote:

Either that or, for some better quality, one of the mirror less solutions available. Or wait for Nikon's upcoming mirror less solution.

-- hide signature --

Markus
-- Nikon lens reviews, photozone.de

--
http://www.johnparas11.zenfolio.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads