Manual lens on an NEX7 or Ricoh GXR

Started Aug 10, 2011 | Discussions
nofumble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,225
Like?
Manual lens on an NEX7 or Ricoh GXR
Aug 10, 2011

I have several old manual lense but very fine optical quality (Zeiss, Nikon ED). Love to use them, but getting good focus is still a challenge even I used a chipped adapter over a Canon T2i. In low light, it hardly work.

The new Ricoh made me turn head the other day, and rumor on NEX7 elated me further.

What do you guy think? Am I getting overly excited?

John Bean (UK)
Forum ProPosts: 18,034
Like?
Re: Manual lens on an NEX7 or Ricoh GXR
In reply to nofumble, Aug 10, 2011

The focus difficulty you have with a SLR are non-existent on a mirrorless camera like a NEX - whether or not you need/want an eye-level viewfinder.

I use only MF lenses on my NEX-5, I have absolutely no problem focusing any of them.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [GMT+1 aka BST]

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gfrensen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,627
Like?

Remember the module (only the module, not the camera) is $649, that is without camera (costs an extra $300,--) then when you want a module for your Pentax lenses it will set you back an other $600,-- if the come with that module...

jazzroy1972
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
In reply to gfrensen, Aug 10, 2011

I bought the Nex for Sensor-camera size ratio.

If camera size matters for you then there's no doubt you have to go for Nex.

When camera size matters?
It's easier to say when it doesn't matter:

• you make studio shots

• You have an assistant that brings things for you

• You are paid for doing the best photos possible

So, for me, it matters.

I brought my Nex su much more anywhere with me than I would with a DSLR.

Made so many photos ptherwise I would have missed!

fermy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,167
Like?
In reply to John Bean (UK), Aug 10, 2011

John Bean (UK) wrote:

The focus difficulty you have with a SLR are non-existent on a mirrorless camera like a NEX - whether or not you need/want an eye-level viewfinder.

I use only MF lenses on my NEX-5, I have absolutely no problem focusing any of them.

Exactly. If you want to focus manual glass, no need for NEX-7 or GXR Leica module, NEX-5 would do just fine.

gianstam
Contributing MemberPosts: 760Gear list
Like?
It depends...

...on what lenses you have. If you have wide angle lenses the Ricoh is better option because of the redesigned microlenses on the sensor ( for better resoluiton at wide agle). But it is more expensive (Body+module+good adapter). About the focus: you'll not find difference.

nofumble wrote:

I have several old manual lense but very fine optical quality (Zeiss, Nikon ED). Love to use them, but getting good focus is still a challenge even I used a chipped adapter over a Canon T2i. In low light, it hardly work.

The new Ricoh made me turn head the other day, and rumor on NEX7 elated me further.

What do you guy think? Am I getting overly excited?

gianstam's gear list:gianstam's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus E-330 Pentax K20D
nofumble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,225
Like?
Re: It depends...
In reply to gianstam, Aug 11, 2011

I have multiple old manual prime lenses from 35 to 300,

Ricoh gave me an manual EXIF entry, and lens correction. But they camera setup is funky. Until Ricoh grows up (by the help of the Pentax design team), I probably trust Sony for now.

The NEX7 with EVF is a very attractive offer. If they give me better MF assist, it is a bingo.

Documensony
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163Gear list
Like?
In reply to fermy, Aug 11, 2011

fermy wrote:

John Bean (UK) wrote:

Exactly. If you want to focus manual glass, no need for NEX-7 or GXR Leica module, NEX-5 would do just fine.

And in sunny weather? This summer, vacating in Istria and Losinj, using a Sony HX5 with LCD only was a lot of guessworking. Having to be manual focusing on screen only as well would have been impossible.

I know the Nex-screen is better ... but stil!

-- hide signature --

Documensony
'Spontaneity is enabled by rigorous practice'

Documensony
Like?
In reply to gfrensen, Aug 11, 2011

gfrensen wrote:

Remember the module (only the module, not the camera) is $649, that is without camera (costs an extra $300,--) then when you want a module for your Pentax lenses it will set you back an other $600,-- if the come with that module...

Ther will be no such K-mount module.

You can use your Pentax-lenses via an $15 adapter.

-- hide signature --

Documensony

Documensony
Like?

gianstam wrote:

...on what lenses you have. If you have wide angle lenses the Ricoh is better option because of the redesigned microlenses on the sensor ( for better resoluiton at wide agle).

Could be that NEX7-sensor does that too.

NEX-C3 sensor seems to do it.

-- hide signature --

Documensony

headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?
In reply to Documensony, Aug 11, 2011

Documensony wrote:

fermy wrote:

John Bean (UK) wrote:

And in sunny weather? This summer, vacating in Istria and Losinj, using a Sony HX5 with LCD only was a lot of guessworking. Having to be manual focusing on screen only as well would have been impossible.

See nexviewer.

-- hide signature --

Documensony

gianstam
Contributing MemberPosts: 760Gear list
Like?

That would be good news

Documensony wrote:

gianstam wrote:

...on what lenses you have. If you have wide angle lenses the Ricoh is better option because of the redesigned microlenses on the sensor ( for better resoluiton at wide agle).

Could be that NEX7-sensor does that too.

NEX-C3 sensor seems to do it.

-- hide signature --

Documensony

gianstam's gear list:gianstam's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus E-330 Pentax K20D
fermy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,167
Like?

Documensony wrote:

fermy wrote:

John Bean (UK) wrote:

Since I could use a much worse screen from E-Pl1 in the brightest Italian sun, I can't imagine NEX screen being a problem.

El Profe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,706
Like?

The new NEX-C3 also has the redesigned micro lenses for better resolution at wide angle. The new NEX-5n is going to have the same 16MP's sensor as the NEX-C3 with the redesigned micro lenses in basically the same old NEX-5 body. And is going to add an improved (faster) auto focusing system that is allegedly as fast as the Panasonic G2. The NEX-7 allegedly is going to have many more improvements includying a 24MP's sensor with the redesigned microlenses, EVF, in body flash, universal hot shoe, etc.

jonous_0
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
In reply to nofumble, Aug 12, 2011

With the latest firmware introducing the peaking level feature manual focusing is a piece of cake. At last i enjoy manual focusing! Watch this video http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-nex-c3-manual-focus-test-by-digitalrev-in-stock-status/
--

Zenit 12 / Sigma SA-300 / Sigma SA-5 / Olympus C770UZ / Canon PowerShot A720 IS / Sony NEX-5

jonous_0's gear list:jonous_0's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Olympus C-770 UZ Sony SLT-A58
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads