A35 or nexc3

Started Aug 8, 2011 | Discussions
sony1799
Regular MemberPosts: 242Gear list
Like?
A35 or nexc3
Aug 8, 2011

I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get. I will be doing a lot of traveling and would prefer the NEX for that. Manually focusing lenses also seems to be easier on the NEX. Only reason I am considering the A35 is to occasionally take some sports photos. I would probably leave it at home most of the time because of the larger size. Also, the nex menu might be frustrating. I prefer to have quick access to iso. I come from Nikon and I am used to having manual control over everything. I don't want the camera to be too point and shoot. I would like to have quick access to manual options. I'm leaning towards the nexc3 and then possibly upgrading to nex7 but there are very few sony lenses available for nex. I am also interested in a possible fuji x200 or 300 but that seems to be a while down the road.

sony1799's gear list:sony1799's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Samsung NX200
gfrensen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,627
Like?
Re: A35 or nexc3
In reply to sony1799, Aug 8, 2011

The best pictures you take with the camera with you. So when the A33 will stay at home for its size then you will take better pics with your nex that is with you.

The mode dial you find on the A33 (and all DSLRs) is accessable with one push of a button, then all modes are easy to use.
ISO can be programmed under a soft button, easy to access too.

There are some lenses to come this year and you can adapt lenses you have, so no problem there.

The most important is that you buy the camera you are comfortable with, try opther brands (like Samsung or M43 cameras) too

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sony1799
Like?
In reply to gfrensen, Aug 8, 2011

Thank you for your post. I took a look at the pany/oly but decided I would be more interested in nex or future fuji models. I like the largesr sensor size on the nex so I would not consider the oly/pany.

jazzroy1972
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
In reply to sony1799, Aug 10, 2011

I bought the Nex for Sensor-camera size ratio.

If camera size matters for you then there's no doubt you have to go for Nex.

When camera size matters?
It's easier to say when it doesn't matter:

you make studio shots

You have an assistant that brings things for you

You are paid for doing the best photos possible

So, for me, it matters.

I brought my Nex su much more anywhere with me than I would with a DSLR.

Made so many photos ptherwise I would have missed!

Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
Which lenses?

A NEX with the 200mm lens is not much smaller than the A33 and lens.

NEX is only small with shorter focal length lens...and you lose many features and functions.

As for sports. If you are going to shoot moving subjects, then stay away from NEX. If you are going to shoot still subjects like a batter in a batter's box, then NEX will work.

Also, that A33/35 has hundreds of great Minolta lenses that AF available for every situation! People like legacy lenses, but legacy lenses that auto focus are better!

sony1799
Like?
Re: Which lenses?
In reply to Just Having Fun, Aug 10, 2011

I honestly still can't decide.

How is the nex for shooting slow moving objects? I've heard that manually focusing is pretty easy on the nex's.

Actually the only thing keeping me back from the nex is that it probably can't take photos of moving objects well.

Just Having Fun
Like?

The 3 NEX lenses use CDAF. It takes part of a seconf to focus and there is also a slight shutter delay whcih means even if it focuses properly, a moving subect will move out of focus.

The A35 lenses can "predict" where an object is moving and actually tracks the focus. I take pictures of my large dog running full speed and nail the focus every time with a good lens. I also take pics of my kids running and playing soccer.

Also, remember, a 55mm lens is not very long. The only NEX lens longer is very large and $800.

sony1799 wrote:

I honestly still can't decide.

How is the nex for shooting slow moving objects? I've heard that manually focusing is pretty easy on the nex's.

Actually the only thing keeping me back from the nex is that it probably can't take photos of moving objects well.

sony1799
Like?

Yes I know. I would use it for sports but I tend to take photos of people moving. If there's too much delay then the camera won't work for me. But it seems perfect for static objects and I could use my voigtlander on it(with adapter of course).

Karsten Meyer
Contributing MemberPosts: 722
Like?

Hi,

I would never buy an A35 because the display is fix glued to the back of the camera. A33 would be better.

Take a NEX if you:

• want it as small as possible,

• want to use old manual focus lenses

• want to shoot unnoticed (the tilting display is ideal for that)

Take an Axx if you:

• need fast AF

• need a viewfinder

• want to use A-Mount lenses. These lenses might be bigger, but they all should AF, some of them are quite cheap.

• need flash

Regards,
Karsten

Just Having Fun
Like?
In reply to Karsten Meyer, Aug 10, 2011

Karsten Meyer wrote:

• want to use A-Mount lenses. These lenses might be bigger...

and might be smaller.

The tamron 18-270 pzd is about the exact same size as the short NEX 18-200.

Also, comparible future NEX lenses have smaller apertures.
NEX macro is 30mm F/3.5, Alpha is 30mm F/2.8 and $50 cheaper
NEX 50-210 zoom will be F/6.3 while the alpha is F/5.6 and again cheaper.

If you like manual lenses, go NEX, if you like autofocus lenses, go Alpha.

sony1799
Like?

I do have 2 manual lenses that I would like to use more often. Miht just go with the NEX. I don't take sports photos very often. But some of my subjects(such as pets) move around and I hope the AF is fast enough for slight movement.

mikiev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,090Gear list
Like?
Don't underestimate usefulness of EVF
In reply to Karsten Meyer, Aug 10, 2011

Karsten Meyer wrote:

Hi,

I would never buy an A35 because the display is fix glued to the back of the camera. A33 would be better.

Take a NEX if you:

• want it as small as possible,

• want to use old manual focus lenses

• want to shoot unnoticed (the tilting display is ideal for that)

Take an Axx if you:

• need fast AF

• need a viewfinder

• want to use A-Mount lenses. These lenses might be bigger, but they all should AF, some of them are quite cheap.

• need flash

Nice breakdown - and I care because I am looking to replace my Nikon DSLR with either a NEX or a SLT.

I was just out shooting a stitched-panorama with my Nikon, and with the sun behind me - and my camera on a tripod - it was impossible to review ["chimp"] my initial shot [I was focusing manually through the OVF] on the rear screen without taking the camera off the tripod... so an EVF is something I would almost certainly want in my new camera.

I had been leaning toward NEX for smaller size, and am waiting to see if rumors of EVF on NEX-5 replacement and/or NEX-7 hold true.

Handled a NEX and SLT at the store = liked auto-switch between screen and EVF on SLT. Also liked quieter shutter and SSS on SLT.

But NEX-5 sure feels better in my hand.

May not be an issue for you, but inexpensive lens adapter to use my existing Nikon lenses - at least until I transition to "native" glass - is a plus for the NEX.
Decisions, decisions...

-- hide signature --

mikiev's gear list:mikiev's gear list
Epson Stylus Photo R2880
mlockring
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

I was in a similar situation, and was torn between the A33 and the Nex5.
I picked up both but returned the A33.

The A33 was a 'better' camera, in terms of AF, DR and IQ but I wanted something smaller and 'hackable' (seemed to be more that I could do with the NEX in terms of the NEX community and with various legacy lenses.) there seemed to be hardly any aftermarket support for the A33, and since it's slightly smaller than standard DSLR size finding a small bag was difficult. (though I encountered similar issues with the nex5)

Photo wise I wanted to capture images of my toddler niece and my puppy, indoors with no flash and The A33 was much better than the Nex5 at that task.

Yes I can accomplish similar pics with the Nex, but with more work and involvement. The A33 was pretty much point and shoot.

I guess it really depends on what your main objective is.
Good luck with the decision.

Just Having Fun
Like?
Don't underestimate usefulness of built-in flash too
In reply to mikiev, Aug 10, 2011

There have been numerous times I had to shoot with the sun in-front of me (sunsets anyone?) and needed a "fill-in flash" to brighten faces and get rid of shadows.
If done correctly you can't even tell a flash was used.
You can't always control your "natural" lighting.

Oh, and have you ever been shooting an event where you are stuck facing the subject with a big bright window behind them? I was just at a birthday party and the kid sat with her back to a big glass door...tons of light...all behind the subject. The table was such that you couldn't take pics from the sides very well either.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,056Gear list
Like?
In reply to sony1799, Aug 11, 2011

sony1799 wrote:

I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get. I will be doing a lot of traveling and would prefer the NEX for that. Manually focusing lenses also seems to be easier on the NEX. Only reason I am considering the A35 is to occasionally take some sports photos.   I would probably leave it at home most of the time because of the larger size. Also, the nex menu might be frustrating. I prefer to have quick access to iso. I come from Nikon and I am used to having manual control over everything. I don't want the camera to be too point and shoot. I would like to have quick access to manual options. I'm leaning towards the nexc3 and then possibly upgrading to nex7 but there are very few sony lenses available for nex. I am also interested in a possible fuji x200 or 300 but that seems to be a while down the road.

If you shoot manual, you can adapt almost all lenses out there. These shots were with Contax G and Olympus OM legacy lenses - pre focus peaking.

I did some indoor sports shots (volleyball) for a friend, and ended up using MF lenses only on the NEX. I did try the SEL lenses, but got stuck between subject blur or high ISO. I ended up shooting with MF (35/50/100mm) lenses at f/2.8.

Below are some shots that I took from a neighboring court, when the main game was on.

Like some have said - the NEX is the easiest system to use with manual lenses, and the menu options work quite well in v3 and v4 firmware.

Also, you may find the C3 adequate. I am sure that the NEX-7 will be 'more', but also larger. It is nice to have the very compact C3.

Fuji x200, x300, Nex-7, Nex-9 == they all sound nice, but only the Nex-7 may be officially announced this month, and available to you by Nov/Dec. The others, for now, are pipe dreams. Plenty of time to have fun with a C3.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
sony1799
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Aug 11, 2011

I went ahead and ordered the C3. I know I wil likely upgrade to nex7 or fuji x200 at some point but for now I would like a camera and I don't want to wait too long for one. Plus I decided I don't need fast AF for most of the stuff I will be shooting until New Year's.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads