Case/Bag Suggestions for Nikon D3100 Please

Started Aug 6, 2011 | Discussions
Trudy Talbot
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Case/Bag Suggestions for Nikon D3100 Please
Aug 6, 2011

Have recently purchased my 1st DSLR, Nikon D3100 after years of using a compact point and shoot. I'm now on the hunt for a case that will just hold my Nikon D3100 with the kit lens attached (18 - 55). I have a Lowepro Nova Mini which is my original camcorder case, but this is a little square and bulky for carrying on long walks (12 mile treks etc). I have looked on Amazon and theres lots out there, however I'm a little confused as feedback often states the cases are too small or too big to fit the D3100 snugly. I have looked at the Tuff Luv ZipNGo Holster size 1, the Lowepro Toploader Zoom 45AW and the Nikon Cf-Dc1 Semi Soft Case. Just wondered if anyone out there owns the D3100 and can recommend a suitable case? Many thanks

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Case/Bag Suggestions for Nikon D3100 Please
In reply to Trudy Talbot, Aug 6, 2011

Go to http://www.lowepro.com/ . There is a Bag Finder section. I use a mid-sized Nova that I love because I always like to bring along at least one other lens, and a flash.

I also have a bigger Lowpro Trekker backpack for when I travel abroad and I want to bring a lot of stuff.

Anyway, there is nothing like a quality bag, and I have been using the Lowepro's for years and have been very happy with them.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ruca
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?

I don't have a 3100, but I do have a D40x. Just a few months ago, I was also faced with this decision and made one I don0t regret 1 bit:

I went with KATA 3IN1. In my case, it's the 3IN1-30 which is the largest, so I can carry additional lens(es), flash, TC, etc. There are smaller models.

What I love is that I can use it as a slingshot on either shoulder, as I want, I can use it as a X-patter backpack, which rapidly converts to slingshot, and I can use it as a regulat backpack.

Good things:

• When not in use, there are flaps to stow unused straps

• Slingshot allows side access to main camera compartment, so camera, lens, flash are all available without taking the bag off my back

• Lifetime warranty!!

• Kata is relatively unknown and the bag is discreet, and doesn't scream: I HAVE A CAMERA AND POSSIBLY A LAPTOP

Bad: possible price, but look around, since there are good deals, and it wasn't a huge difference to (to me) more limited Lowepro's, etc of equal size.

Also other options on Kata's site.

Only suggestion if you buy online: try to get a bag in a shop so you can compare dimensions when the time comes.

Trudy Talbot
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to Ruca, Aug 6, 2011

Many thanks for the suggestions and comments so far...

I have looked at larger bags which would be great as my collection of lenses and equipment grows. But for now I'm keen to buy a well made case that will simply hold just my D3100 with the 18 - 55 lens kit fitted, a few spare SD cards and my lens cloth. When we go out walking for the day I have generally got a backpack on my back with waterproofs, food, mobile etc, so a backpack style camera bag or slingshot design wouldn't be suitable. I'm just a novice photographer who is keen to have my DSLR with me on our adventures, just need a case that isn't too cumbersome, to either wear around my neck or put in my daysack whilst trekking. Please keep the suggestions coming, very much appreciated.

Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,047Gear list
Like?

Take look around here:

http://www.cambags.com/

If your camera isn't listed, pick a similar size and look over the photos that people post with their bags loaded with gear. Personally, I like the LowePro holster bags. I have a LowePro Nova 5 to hold all of my lenses and bodies, but I don't carry it around much. For walks or hiking, I think the LowePro holster is the way to go. Here's something different:

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Passport-Sling,2190,4.htm

Never used one, though.

Another thought:

http://www.tamrac.com/frame_velocity.htm

Good luck. Lots of choices. Let us know what you go with and how you like it.
--

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
— A.A. Milne

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
NikonDan1
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
In reply to Vandyu, Aug 6, 2011

I have the Case Logic SLRC-201 Zoom case, and it does just what you say you want, holds just the camera and the kit lens. I am now looking for a bigger case for my kit and D5000, as I have a 70-300 and more lenses on the way, but for a basic trip, this case is a great case, and I feel the camera is very secure with the camera hamock system, and it isnt expensive. I recommed it.

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-SLRC-201-Holster-Black/dp/B001TZUS98/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1312657439&sr=8-9

NikonDan1's gear list:NikonDan1's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,047Gear list
Like?
In reply to NikonDan1, Aug 6, 2011

I just took a look at that Case Logic case. It's $39.99 at Best Buy and $22.82 at Amazon. Looks nice. I have both LowePro and Tamrac holster cases. The only thing I don't like about the LowePro Top Load Zoom 2 is that the front pocket has no padding. It's good for general storage though. I think they've DC'd that model. Their AW series looks nice. But, I think this Case Logic is worth looking at at Best Buy and see if they will match the Amazon price. At least give them the chance. Looks like there's no shipping charges right now.
--

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
— A.A. Milne

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
JayHue
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to Trudy Talbot, Aug 7, 2011

I used a Lowepro Slingshot 102AW with my D3100, kit lens and 55-200mm on a trip to Europe in June/July. Everything fit fine and I found it to be a very usable, practical set up. We spent full days walking around Berlin, Prague, Vienna, and Salzburg (to name just a few), and the case was very unobtrusive.

I was also able to find a deal online for the case that was $30 USD cheaper than the local Best Buy -- around $50.

Good Luck!
--
Jay

gerryd04
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,123
Like?
In reply to Trudy Talbot, Aug 7, 2011

For shoulder bags crumpler make a nice range, I have a 6 million dollar home for days out with several lenses, for what you want a 4 million dollar home may be nice.

http://www.cambags.com/bag-type/shoulder-bags-menu/crumpler-shoulder-bags.html

-- hide signature --

Gerry,
http://gerryd.smugmug.com/ discount code on homepage

'There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.' - Steven Wright

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads