Is the NEX 7 real?

Started Aug 6, 2011 | Discussions
Patman888
Regular MemberPosts: 497
Like?
Is the NEX 7 real?
Aug 6, 2011

How many people here would kill themselves if the NEX 7 turned out to be nothing more than a NEX C3 in a NEX5 body instead of this monster A77 in a small rangefinder body?

The A77 has been rumored for ages but the NEX7 came out from left field. What if the specs are fake and it sucked?

Documensony
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163
Like?
Re: Is the NEX 7 real?
In reply to Patman888, Aug 6, 2011

Patman888 wrote:

How many people here would kill themselves if the NEX 7 turned out to be nothing more than a NEX C3 in a NEX5 body instead of this monster A77 in a small rangefinder body?

The A77 has been rumored for ages but the NEX7 came out from left field. What if the specs are fake and it sucked?

At this state, I'd say rumors are quite consistent and probably right.

Official presentation seems to be August 24th, then we will know more.

-- hide signature --

Documensony
'Spontaneity is enabled by rigorous practice'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,074Gear list
Like?
I think its Real, but camera is not the problem, lens selection is

I wouldn't worry about it. SAR have been hitting a home run lately and have a great record of getting it correct. When it comes to SR4-5 rumor rate, 99.99% has been deadly accurate. SAR believe its a real photo, I don't doubt it.

To me, NEX-7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12+ camera body is not important . Current NEX-3/5 to is excellent at it is, I do not need more functions . What I do need, and where I get frustrated with sony, is the lack of AF lens selection.

I'm a portrait shooter, and the lack of a 50mm f/1.8 removed NEX as a viable contender for my shooting styles. While I may not be biggest m4/3 fans, the availability of a 45mm f/1.8 put the m4/3 on my map. If the review is good, I may lean toward the m4/3 over NEX.

My wish list: more pancake please

• 30mm f/1.8

• 50mm f/1.8

• 85mm f/1.8

• 100mm f/2

• 200mm f/2.8 ( not pancake, but as short as possible )

Patman888 wrote:

Kiril Karaatanasov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,861Gear list
Like?
My NEX-5 will continue to be the best EVIL camera

I mean honestly Sony are competing with themselves in this league.

The sensors are few generations ahead of Samsung so even NEX-5 body with the new 24mp sensor will out run Samsung by couple more years.

I do believe Sony have learned some lessons form the current line up though and will add a thing or two - flash hot shoe or an adapter, some EVF option, some video controls, some more manual lens aids

I expect to see some lens for the NEX too like the Zeiss the 55-200 and the 50/1.8 all of these I will buy if released.

After all Sony are in it to make money if there are lenses and a body with hot shoe - at least the people on the photographic forums will buy these in tens of thousands.

NEX-3/5 are just massively popular. I believe the sales of these things far surpassed Sony's wildest dreams.

Even where I live (Bulgaria not Japan) a lot of Canon/Nikon users bought NEX for the phun of using it with manual lenses! NEX is a different beast it is about the joy of capturing light on photo or video.

AF speed, number of zones all that does not matter. People use NEX with 60 year old crap lens because it is fun.

NEX made a revolution on eBay - old cameras that could not be sold for a 100 Euro now go of 400 amidst fierce competition to buy them.

I think Sony are stupid but not that stupid. They have seen this and will make the small tweaks and the fabulous sensor - that is all that is needed.

.....ohhh and more accessories like lens, so I can spend my cash on Sony stuff

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Kiril Karaatanasov
Like?
Re: I think its Real, but camera is not the problem, lens selection is
In reply to 007peter, Aug 6, 2011

007peter wrote:

• 30mm f/1.8

• 50mm f/1.8

• 85mm f/1.8

• 100mm f/2

Basic physics - the 30mm could possibly be compact lens (not pancake but compact and significantly bigger then the Samsung - the combiination camera + lens can be similar size though).

The rest of your list will be pretty big pieces of glass - nothing like a pancake - simply cannot be physically made to use APS-C sensor fit on NEX and be pancakes.

Pentax K has lots of pancakes but they have added 1 inch ( about 25mm) to their mount compared to NEX - Sony have to include this in the lens.

I agree that Sony can still strive to make more compact lens.

Sony Alpha 7
Kiril Karaatanasov
Like?
NEX optimal lens size
In reply to Kiril Karaatanasov, Aug 6, 2011

Few examples how big lens of various focal length can be

28/2.8 (not there is adapter behind the lens!

50/2.0

90/2.8

So if Sony do their job best they can do very decent IQ, similar length of the lens and significantly more bulky to accommodate motors, electronics, rings etc.

PS By the way of these are Zeiss designs! So Sony can just talk to theri friends to dig the old drawings and put some motors around the optics

Sony Alpha 7
gfrensen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,627
Like?

007peter wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it. SAR have been hitting a home run lately and have a great record of getting it correct. When it comes to SR4-5 rumor rate, 99.99% has been deadly accurate. SAR believe its a real photo, I don't doubt it.

I find SAR a umor site, with not much more then rumors. Some come true, some don't. I can't remember how many times they announced the A7xx (it was befor the translucent sytems came along) was on it's way, still waiting....

They announced on august 1 that the A77 comes available in oktober, now it is september,

All kind of SR5 rumors come not true, there always wass a reason for then, but 99.99% hit rate is a little bit over optimistic. The shoot a lot and then they hit soemtimes... Some shots are more aimed then others...

To me, NEX-7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12+ camera body is not important . Current NEX-3/5 to is excellent at it is, I do not need more functions . What I do need, and where I get frustrated with sony, is the lack of AF lens selection.

I'm a portrait shooter, and the lack of a 50mm f/1.8 removed NEX as a viable contender for my shooting styles. While I may not be biggest m4/3 fans, the availability of a 45mm f/1.8 put the m4/3 on my map. If the review is good, I may lean toward the m4/3 over NEX.

• 30mm f/1.8

• 50mm f/1.8

This lens is coming

• 85mm f/1.8

I want it when it is not to expensive (won't be pancake)

• 100mm f/2

in a macro version I want it! (won't be pancake)

Patman888 wrote:

gfrensen
Like?

Patman888 wrote:

Well if the nice rangefinder style body, as shown on the SAR site is real is hard to say, but the Nex 7 will be a camera more aimed at the advanced users (the Nex3/5 are aimed at P&S upgraders)

One of the biggest problems with the rumor sites on the internet is that many people take them for real and are very dissapointed when it comes out less good then it was. Rumors are just what they are, Rumors!

007peter
Like?
gfrensen - I could be mistaken, but can you show me a SR5 rumor not true?
In reply to gfrensen, Aug 6, 2011

007peter wrote:

gfrensen wrote:>

All kind of SR5 rumors come not true, there always wass a reason for then, but 99.99% hit rate is a little bit over optimistic. The shoot a lot and then they hit soemtimes... Some shots are more aimed then others...

I don't follow SAR religiously since i"m a canon shooter, but as my memory recall, every SR4-5 has been true. Sure there is a delay or two, but so far all SR4-5 rumor has bee correct.

Now I could have been worng, but gfrensen can you show me a SR5 rumor that is clearly false?

Not being a smart ass, but if I'm wrong, I like to know and see an example of someone proving it to me

007peter
Like?
beautiful lens, what is it?

Beautiful metal construction lens. What is it? How is the optics? Soft at f/2 or decent? Any portrait examples?

jazzroy1972
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
Re: beautiful lens, what is it?

it's a jupiter 9, I've got it too.

A bit soft (even in the center) if wide open, with a slight yellow hue, but a fashinating lens with russians' beautyful continous aperture.

Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
Is the NEX 7 real? - Noooooooooooo!

NEX-7 and A77 will be available in Japan on September 16
(announcement on August 24 confirmed).

Our Japanese friends said the Nex-7 and A77 will start to ship in Japan on September 16.

It will ship in the rest of the world by early October (A77) and late October (NEX-7).

In the meanwhile our sources confirmed the announcement will take place on August 24 in Tokyo.

As you know you can follow the announcement on this website as we will cover you live with all first

news, reviews, image samples and so on. On the same day also Nikon will announce their new stuff.

My guess is the new FF cameras will be based on the “old” Sony 24 Megapixels sensor as I have heard

the new Sony sensor (and camera) will be ready in early 2012 only. And Nikon will also announce a
mirrorless system.

gfrensen
Like?
Re: gfrensen - I could be mistaken, but can you show me a SR5 rumor not true?

007peter wrote:

007peter wrote:

gfrensen wrote:>

I don't follow SAR religiously since i"m a canon shooter, but as my memory recall, every SR4-5 has been true. Sure there is a delay or two, but so far all SR4-5 rumor has bee correct.

Now I could have been worng, but gfrensen can you show me a SR5 rumor that is clearly false?

Not being a smart ass, but if I'm wrong, I like to know and see an example of someone proving it to me

Well:
30/10/2009 SR5 Alpha A750 Coming Soon: No A750 comming at all!
21/2/2010 SR 5 specs of A7xx and mirorless camera:
(SR5) First A700 successor and mirrorless camera specs!

A7xx:

• Body smaller than the A700 --> YES much smaller as in not existant

• 2 live view mode as A550 --> The A7x will have only LV not two LV modes

• Sweep Panorama -> Will be true

• Video HD --> will be true

Mirrorless cameras:

• Body price under 1000 USD --> Yes a lot less then $1000 (as $549 is less...)

• 18-200mm Lens about 900-1000 USD Lens costs about $800,-- a lot less

• 16mm f/2.8 (confirmed)

• Super SteadyShot in lens

OK these are older ones (It's easier to see if those art true or not)
Here a newer one:

(SR4) A77 body only will cost 1.000 Euro in Europe. A77 production costs are low!

It will be a lot more expensive at a sudden according to rumors on the SAR site...

(SR4) SURPRISE!!!! A77 is not the only translucent camera to be announced in July???

What camera was announced in July? No one, OK Sony had delayed its announcement maybe, but not correct and not delayed by a few days or so...

From may this year:
(SR4) Sony A77 coming on…..July 7! For $1099 including the kit lens!
Wow date"wrong, price: wrong!

Do I have to continue? Remember it is a RUMOR site and al this are RUMORS so not always true! I'm not blaming the site (they TELL it are rumors, I'm just telling that you have to read them for what they are rumors!

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,060Gear list
Like?

gfrensen wrote:

Patman888 wrote:

Kill? Wow, talk about an over reaction.

If the NEX-7, when it is officially announced, is even close to what the rumor site says, then I will be a happy camper. But if it's not... oh well, that's life. Time to move on to the next great rumor

One of the biggest problems with the rumor sites on the internet is that many people take them for real and are very dissapointed when it comes out less good then it was. Rumors are just what they are, Rumors!

Yes, and it is amazing how many people get T'd off when you point that out to them.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
In reply to GodSpeaks, Aug 6, 2011

GodSpeaks wrote:

If the NEX-7, when it is officially announced, is even close to what the rumor site says, then I will be a happy camper. But if it's not... oh well, that's life.

In this case ... there will be a GH3

fermy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,167
Like?
Re: My NEX-5 will continue to be the best EVIL camera

Kiril Karaatanasov wrote:

I mean honestly Sony are competing with themselves in this league.

If you believe that hype, I can't help. In reality they are not even leaders in the mirrorless market. See Japanese sales data. They are in the market that is very competitive and will become really cut-throat in the next couple of years.

NEX made a revolution on eBay - old cameras that could not be sold for a 100 Euro now go of 400 amidst fierce competition to buy them.

Umm, NEX contributed to that, but it's not NEX that made that revolution. It started way before NEX appeared with m4/3 cameras.

I think Sony are stupid but not that stupid. They have seen this and will make the small tweaks and the fabulous sensor - that is all that is needed.

Umm, the sensor is fine as it is. That's not where NEX weakness lies. Standard hot shoe, controls, AF speed, EVF for some people, small, but good lenses = that's where real improvements are to be made.

.....ohhh and more accessories like lens, so I can spend my cash on Sony stuff

Yeah, here we go.

Kiril Karaatanasov
Like?
The REAL fear is if Sony will fix the stupid mistakes in the Alpha and NEX software

We all know these:

• A55 is useless camera (with flashes) as it's EVF compensates for the aperture - very dumb. How hard is this to fix? Sony know about it ever since A300 was released 3 years ago....

• NEX-5 hard to use in low light as it drops shutter speed to 1/30th or lower and refuses to up the ISO above 200. Have not Sony heard of minimum shutter speed setting?

• No program shift - this is very weird...why remove so simple of a feature that poeple love...

• No EVF for NEX-5

• No flash hot-shoe adapter for NEX-5

What I am also afraid of is new batch of optimizations like the above that make an incredible product mediocre at best.

Thinking of it no matter how much I like the upcomming NEX-7 from the pictures and leaks I will likely NOT buy it before making sure the silly things above are fixed. Especially the flahs usability issue - this is a BLOCKER for me

Sony Alpha 7
Kiril Karaatanasov
Like?
Re: beautiful lens, what is it?

Jupiter-8 is the lens

Here is a gallery with some photos with it

https://picasaweb.google.com/karaatanasov/JUPITER8?authkey=Gv1sRgCLKxwOiVydC7dw

The one that I lilke most

Sony Alpha 7
Kiril Karaatanasov
Like?
Re: My NEX-5 will continue to be the best EVIL camera
In reply to fermy, Aug 6, 2011

fermy wrote:

Kiril Karaatanasov wrote:

Umm, NEX contributed to that, but it's not NEX that made that revolution. It started way before NEX appeared with m4/3 cameras.

m43 is a joke. They were first and hence have made some inroads. However they are behind NEX even with NEX having 2 lens options. Total Panaosnic + Olympys...may be selling more. However Sony is ahead of either individually. We saw this story in DSLR - 43rds have limited potential they will retain 20-25% market sahre for some time and then go to 10, 9 and stay there for ever. IQ is ridiculous - Panasonic is making some great strides and their latest camera verges on usable, but any APS-C with similar resolution blows it far away. Should we discuss the lack of DOF control and flat look, the weird sensor proportions...it is not serious to even discuss.

Samsung NX to me is a real competitor but their sensor is not up to the challnge yet.

Sony Alpha 7
Spade357
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052
Like?

gfrensen wrote:

I find SAR a umor site, with not much more then rumors. Some come true, some don't. I can't remember how many times they announced the A7xx (it was befor the translucent sytems came along) was on it's way, still waiting....

They announced on august 1 that the A77 comes available in oktober, now it is september,

They at least mention that Sony is coming out with the A77/NEX-7 right? Well, they got that right. As far as date, I don't blame them if its not right 'cause things change, but the cameras are for real. As far as I know, they were the one who leaked the NEX-3C, A77, GF3, G3, NEX-5/3, Pentax Q and some other P&S. That's pretty accurate for me. Weren't you the one that said that there is no such thing as NEX-3C?

99.99% hit rate is for the camera body and not release dates.

Well, the NEX-7 will bring in OLED EVF, manual controls, built-in flash, superb grip, AVCHD 2.0, 24MP, hot shoe, faster start time....and so on....I think that's more improvement really. Of course the NEX-7 is not for everyone just like the Fuji X100.

I don't like how the busy background you get from the m4/3. The bokeh just doesn't look good on smaller sensor IMO. There is a E-mount 50mm f/1.8 coming, but of course, like you said they are just rumors and like I said 99.99% come true.

I'm looking forward for your comment when they release the NEX-7.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads