pocketwizard flex and the sekonic

Started Aug 6, 2011 | Discussions
NCHinote
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
pocketwizard flex and the sekonic
Aug 6, 2011

I want to buy a Sekonic L-358 light meter and a RT-32 Digital Radio Transmitter Module to remotely fire Nikon sb600 and 800 on a pocket wizard FlexTT5 Transceiver Radio Slave for Nikon.

My simple question is will the RT 32 fire my flash units on these pocket wizards in order to allow me to meter the flash light?

Thank each your for your responses and any other suggestions.

Noel

Peter Berressem
Forum ProPosts: 10,647
Like?
Re: pocketwizard flex and the sekonic
In reply to NCHinote, Aug 6, 2011
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
markhyo
Regular MemberPosts: 219
Like?
In reply to NCHinote, Aug 6, 2011

NCHinote wrote:

I want to buy a Sekonic L-358 light meter and a RT-32 Digital Radio Transmitter Module to remotely fire Nikon sb600 and 800 on a pocket wizard FlexTT5 Transceiver Radio Slave for Nikon.

My simple question is will the RT 32 fire my flash units on these pocket wizards in order to allow me to meter the flash light?

Thank each your for your responses and any other suggestions.

Noel

Here's what I recommend and how I use my PW's with my 2 - 430EXII's, AB800 w/AC9 and Sekonic L-358. You can't trigger the flashes (even if they're Nikon) with the L-358 and RT-32 when using ControlTL , but you can sort of work around it. If you don't already have an AC3 get one!!! This will make life so much easier. I left my Config 1 & 2 (C1 and C2) in the Control TL1 mode. C1 is set to channel 18 and C2 is set to Channel 2. It really doesn't matter what the channels are but just use what works best for you.

With the AC3 instead of using A or Automatic mode change it to Manual mode or M. You still leave your flashes in TTL but this will allow you to change the power of the flashes manually with the AC3. To meter your lights simply set it to power level you want to start with on AC3. Set your meter to Cordless mode and press the meter button. The meter will now wait to see a flash and give you a reading once detected. Use the test button on the miniTT1 to fire your flashes. When you use the test button it will stay at the power you last dialed on the AC3. Using it this way defeats the purpose of the RT-32 module for the Sekonic L-358 but you will still have control over your flashes without physically walking over to them every time you need to make a change.

Another reason to use the AC3 is that you have 3 groups to work with. If you have one flash in group A and another in group B you can physically turn off group A and concentrate on metering the other group. Then you can switch, repeat rinse.

I don't know if PW will come up with a new controlTL module for the L-358 but for now this seems to work best.

Also let me add you can disable the ControlTL on the FlexTT5 which will operate off the standard channels. You can then use the RT-32 to trigger the flashes but you will not have any control over the flashes. You would have to change for flashes to manual mode and anytime you need change the power you would have to do so on the flash itself. They will operate just like a PW Plus 2.

HTH
--
Mark W
http://www.markwphoto.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/markwphoto/

NCHinote
Like?
In reply to markhyo, Aug 6, 2011

Thanks Mark,

I have a very "uneducated" question to note how little i know about light meters. Do I have to have the meter synchronized with the flash in order to read the flash? I've never used a flash so I don't know if the flash simply opens, reads and closes as quickly as the flash or can you turn it on, open it, then fire the flash and read the exposure?

Thank you for your time and response.

Noel

markhyo
Regular MemberPosts: 219
Like?
In reply to NCHinote, Aug 7, 2011

There are several ways to meter flash with a light meter. There is cored mode where you would plug your flash sync cord directly into the pc jack on the meter. When you press the meter button the flash will instantly fire and the light meter will give you a reading.

In cordless mode, the light meter is set to stand-by mode. It's waiting for a brief pop of light in order to give you an exposure reading. In this mode you press the meter button and the meter will go into standby. Then you would walk over to your flash and press the dump/test button. The meter will stay in the standby mode until you change a setting like the shutter speed or change modes.

Finally you have radio mode courtesy of the RT-32 module. In this mode it works much like corded mode in which the reading is instant. There is no standby mode and even better, no cords!

I hope this help clarify how a light meter works. Check out the videos on sekonics sight because seeing it action also helps you understand it better.

NCHinote
Like?
In reply to markhyo, Aug 8, 2011

Thank you very much.

timjm
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to markhyo, May 13, 2013

Mark,

These are great responses. If you wouldn't mind I had two follow up questions.

1. It seems you were referring to the Control TL system, but I was curious if the PW Flex system works with the RT-32N plugin on the Sekonic L358 meter. I tried to ask Sekonic but the refuse  to comment on other makers compatibility.

2. I tried your suggestion of using the sync cable, but the SB900s SB910s wont fire after they receive the signal from the. The meter is in cord mode and the speedlights are set to "on" and not master nor remote.

Thanks.

-Tim

hirejn
Regular MemberPosts: 315Gear list
Like?
In reply to NCHinote, May 13, 2013

Yes, the light meter with the radio will fire the flashes. To read TTL flash, you need the RT-32CTL model. Otherwise you'll be able to meter only manual flash. Note that you won't be able to adjust flash power with the L-358. You need another device for that. You'll have to read the meter manual and possibly the PW manual to figure out how to set the radio to match the PW channel. Once the channels match, you can fire them with the meter.

It'd be easier, and a bit more expensive, to go with the L-478DR, which has a nice touch screen and the radio built in. The 478 enables you to adjust flash power from the meter. It's not as slick as the AC3, which is built just for that purpose, but it's a nice meter. Either the 358 or the 478 are probably the most used for studio and portrait work.

-- hide signature --

Joel Nisleit Photography
A camera or lens can't take good or bad photos any more than a brush and canvas can paint themselves a masterpiece.

hirejn's gear list:hirejn's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +8 more
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,067Gear list
Like?
In reply to timjm, May 13, 2013

If you had the flex set to basic trigger it should fire but you'll need the rt32-ctl unit to trigger them on the TTL channels.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads