m43 Underwater

Started Aug 5, 2011 | Discussions
cata13nci
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
m43 Underwater
Aug 5, 2011

I'm starting this thread for the members that use their m43 cameras underwater. I whant to know your opinions about this system in this situation. So you are welcome to post pictures and underwater equipment reviews.

I use the GF1 + 8mm fisheye in a 10Bar housing and two Inon S2000 strobes.
Here are a few shots from Raja Ampat - feb 2011

cata13nci's gear list:cata13nci's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Bizzarrini
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?
Re: m43 Underwater
In reply to cata13nci, Aug 5, 2011

Wow, these are amazing! Great work!

Bizzarrini's gear list:Bizzarrini's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Julian_K
Senior MemberPosts: 1,165
Like?

These are just magnificent! Have you had much experience in underwater photography previously? How do you find the m43 kit compared to previous cameras / setups?

orlando73
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
In reply to Julian_K, Aug 5, 2011

great photos indeed. i am going to Raja Ampat next february

for myself - i am using the E-PL2 in the Oly housing, mostly with the PL 45mm for Makro (in a Zen Port) and the 9-18mm in a Inon Dome together with Inon strobes and i am quite happy with it.

yes, it's great cam for underwater, light, compact, affordable, and with good quality. Some week point are in my opinion: autofocus is rather on the slow side and sometimes unprecise especially with the PL 45mm, Camera is not that responsive.

here are some examples shots from Komodo, Indonesia, this June.

best regards

roland

Oly E10
Contributing MemberPosts: 503Gear list
Like?

A delight to view. thanks for posting.

Peter in Canada

Oly E10's gear list:Oly E10's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +1 more
Simon Zeev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,447Gear list
Like?

My history:
I started to shoot UW pictures with Nikonos II film camera.
My first digital camera was Canon S300 with the Canon housing with 2 MP sensor.
It works even now, but no much use.

The next was Canon S1 IS also with Canon housing and now I have 2 of them and use them on land for making 3D pictures.

After the Canons was the Sea&Sea 1G (Ricoh GX100) and for the first time I brought a strobe:
Sea&Sea YS27DH. The strobe added much to the quality of my pictures.

I decide to upgrade my photographic gear from Olympus E500 to E-PL2 and I brought also the UW Olympus housing PT-EP03.

I think that my UW pictures are now sharper and more colorful. I use the 9-18 and kit lens 14-42 underwater and also the Sea&Sea strobe.

A few days ago I published 14 pictures taken the weekend underwater. They are in my galleries.
I uploaded other pictures now for not boring too much the thread participants.
I love your pictures very much.

I will be happy to see more underwater threads on this forum

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Zeev
Simon = family name so... call me Zeev!
http://public.fotki.com/zeev-simon/
http://picasaweb.google.com/zeev.simon

Simon Zeev's gear list:Simon Zeev's gear list
Canon PowerShot S1 IS Ricoh Caplio GX100 Olympus E-500 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?

Really nice images, all are good, but I like the fourth one

Thanks for showing

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
cata13nci
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Aug 5, 2011

I don't have any previous experience in underwater photography and this is my first underwater photo system. The photos I've posted are my first.

The only thing I don't like about the m43 system in underwater use is that is not so good (as an asp-c) for siluete shots and sun rays.

Great photos everybody.....let's see some more!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Julian_K
Senior MemberPosts: 1,165
Like?
In reply to orlando73, Aug 6, 2011

Wow, they look amazing!

Love your guys work, please post here more often.

michaeltsantos
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to Bizzarrini, Aug 6, 2011

Great photos!

How do you synch the strobes and the camera? I currently have a GF1 and a 10 BAR housing. So far, with optical cables, I can only synch on STTL but never on manual mode on my Inon Z240s. Have you found a way to synch them in manual mode? STTL is great for macro but I need manual mode for wide-angle shots.

I've also tried electronic synch cables as well but the pre-flash always throws off the main flash so I never get the right exposure. The flash of the GF1 only has TTL mode and no manual mode. Do you have any recommended strobe/camera settings?

Finally, do you know if there's a way to get around the 1/160th max flash synch speed? I tried disabling the TTL pins on the camera but it didn't work. It would be nice to have much faster shutter speeds so i can get black backgrounds.

Thanks in advance for your help. Happy Shooting!

Best fishes,

Mike

cata13nci
Like?
In reply to michaeltsantos, Aug 6, 2011

I've never used the strobes in manual. I'm satisfied with the sttl performance for wide-angle but i'm very disapointed with the flash sync limitation of 1/160 because I would need at least 1/320 to get black bg (as you said) and there is no way to bypass that. I only have optical sync cables. If you find a way please post it here.

cata13nci
Like?
In reply to cata13nci, Aug 6, 2011

Is someone here who has the GH2 and the nauticam housing? How good is the nauticam gear(housing & ports)?

michaeltsantos
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to cata13nci, Aug 7, 2011

I'm still looking for the synch speed solution. I'll update you if I find a way to get around it.

Thanks again and happy shooting!

Best fishes,

Mike

cata13nci
Like?
In reply to michaeltsantos, Aug 8, 2011

Good luck!!
happy shooting & best fishes to you too!

cata13nci
Like?
In reply to cata13nci, Aug 9, 2011

no other m43 underwater users here????

DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 10,787Gear list
Like?
In reply to cata13nci, Aug 9, 2011

Great series!!! Looked like a fun time.

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +24 more
Bobby Handal
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,855Gear list
Like?
In reply to cata13nci, Aug 11, 2011

ufff, after those awesome photos, I think we are embarrassed to show ours - at least I am !!!

cata13nci wrote:

no other m43 underwater users here????

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +40 more
neekoh_dp
Regular MemberPosts: 361
Like?
In reply to cata13nci, Aug 12, 2011

Amazing images! I haven't been giving enough credit for the system as for making it and underwater tool and never looked for options to get me there. Could any of you post a photo or two about the system when it's all ready to go... that would be nice.

pmenear
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
In reply to neekoh_dp, Aug 12, 2011

Strobe sync to 1/2000 is possible with the Olympus range using Olympus RC mode and an Olympus strobe.

I use the E-pl1 in the PT-ep01 housing with strobe UFL-2 and it does sync to 1/2000. I don't know if its possible with Panasonic

Don Erway
Contributing MemberPosts: 998
Like?
In reply to cata13nci, Aug 12, 2011

Hi folks. I've been shooting underwater since the film days, and had a nikon n90s film slr in an ikelite housing. Worked great, but heavy and huge for travel!

It's been killing me to screw around with compact cameras underwater, as the autofocus and over all shutter lag are the most important thing, for bringing back the shot, without too much frustration. The canon g series was terrible in this regard, and I ended up using sony and pany cams underwater, which worked out pretty well.

You can see some results at my photo sharing sites, in my sig.

Now this m43 has me really excited. The pany cameras clearly have better AF even than the ep3, in dim light or low contrast. There are several manufacturers for uw housings making a house for the gh2. But the price of the cam is higher than a canon t2i, and the canons have better cheaper UW housings, and cheaper, better lenses. Just bigger and heaver. And no useable live view for stills.

I'd buy a g3 in an instant but no one is making a housing for it. The gf series has gone off in the wrong direction, after the start, but I am very excited about the rumored gf7, and I'm quite hopeful 10 bar will make a housing for it, as they have done for all the gf series so far..

The nauticam housings are excellent, but frickin' expensive. The 10 bar are much more reasonable price, and perfectly adequate. Alas, ikelite has decided not to support micro 4/3 so far.

There are a bunch of reviews, photos and kind, helpful folks on the forums at wetpixel.com, so come on over and look around there. You'll get lots more answers to your questions!
--
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway
http://www.pbase.com/derway

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads