G3 in the RAW ;-)

Started Aug 5, 2011 | Discussions
Mountain Joe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,451
Like?
G3 in the RAW ;-)
Aug 5, 2011

I haven't seen too many postings of G3 photos shot and processed in RAW and I've been very interested in the ultimate IQ & DR possible with the G3. Also wanted to see how well the RAW files would hold up to aggressive processing.

Now that Capture One supports G3 RAW files, I downloaded a trial version and ran some G3 files through it.

Usual disclaimer: this is not intended to be a scientific or controlled method of evaluation - this is my personal evaluation based on my typical workflow, only pushing the files a bit farther than I would usually do just to see how they hold up.

Workflow: import RAW files in Capture One - basic levels adjustment and pre-sharpening. I then export as 16 bit TIFFs, ProPhotoRGB color space. I import the TIFFs into LR3 and use Nik plugins for NR, sharpening, and color processing. Lastly I export to sRGB JPEGs.

Some samples - not necessarily of any great photographic merit but useful for this assessment.

In this shot, the color and contrast adjustments held up really well - quite pleased with how this turned out. The following were taken with the PL 45mm f2.8 Macro at base ISO160 unless otherwise noted.

Another similar with bee

Used tonal contrast on this one to accentuate the tones and texture.

This one's pushed passed my usual approach but held up really well:

Here's one at ISO400 - I'm pretty pleased with the performance at this ISO - definitely better than my G1:

More tonal contrast applied here to bring out the rust:

Color rendition is really good and good tonal range:

This one with the PL 14-150mm zoom (4/3) - lots of color contrast applied:

This one is not that great photographically but has high contrast with a darkened fg - I wanted to see how much I could lift shadows and overall DR. The file did not hold up too well but it's not terrible either - again better than I would expect with the G1 - especially in the shadow regions.

Overall conclusion so far is that the IQ is quite good - the high MP gives a nice fine grain which holds up well to quite a bit of pp. ISO performance looks good at ISO400 - will try ISO800 next. By comparison on my G1 I would generally avoid anything above ISO200 - but I think with the G3, I would be happy shooting ISO400 in many instances.

YMMV but imo, this camera's output is quite nice to work with and I've no hesitation replacing my G1 with the G3.

Thanks for looking and comments welcome!

Cheers,
--
Joe
http://mountainjoe.zenfolio.com/
Chop wood, carry water...

greerd
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?
Re: G3 in the RAW ;-)
In reply to Mountain Joe, Aug 5, 2011

I can't wait until Bibble updates to include the G3. I might try Capture One and run it under wine on my Linux box, but it would only be temporary and therefore just to play around with. I like the G3 too, as I use the 100-300 a lot and the higher ISO's really come in handy. I also like the focus speed and general snappiness compared to my G1. I just hope I can match the OOC jpegs with my easily matched PP skills.
--
Doug Greer

greerd's gear list:greerd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,666Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mountain Joe, Aug 5, 2011

First I'll assume you did NOT shoot all of these handheld, but rather used a tripod. They resolve too much to have been handheld. 2nd the utter lack of noise, artifacts and blown highlights is admirable to say the least. A very nice processing and shooting job. I'm planning on trying the latest RawTherapee4 tonight. Some have said to date it is the finest RAW processor for the G3. I'll find out for myself. I'm not shelling out any more $$ for programs at this point, and the one you used ain't free

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Mountain Joe
Like?
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, Aug 5, 2011

SaltLakeGuy wrote:

First I'll assume you did NOT shoot all of these handheld, but rather used a tripod. They resolve too much to have been handheld.

All were handheld with OIS on

2nd the utter lack of noise, artifacts and blown highlights is admirable to say the least.

Nike Define 2 does a nice job of cleaning up the noise in the G3 files - the fine grain of 16MP means you can deal with the noise easily without loosing too much detail.

A very nice processing and shooting job. I'm planning on trying the latest RawTherapee4 tonight. Some have said to date it is the finest RAW processor for the G3. I'll find out for myself. I'm not shelling out any more $$ for programs at this point, and the one you used ain't free

Yes - only tried C1 cause it was a free trial - last thing I need is another pricey bit of SW (though I may be buying it for other reasons)

Thanks for the comments.
--
Joe

Mountain Joe
Like?
In reply to greerd, Aug 5, 2011

greerd wrote:

I can't wait until Bibble updates to include the G3. I might try Capture One and run it under wine on my Linux box, but it would only be temporary and therefore just to play around with. I like the G3 too, as I use the 100-300 a lot and the higher ISO's really come in handy. I also like the focus speed and general snappiness compared to my G1. I just hope I can match the OOC jpegs with my easily matched PP skills.
--
Doug Greer

Doug - be warned that Capture One has an issue on Win 7 64 bit if you go that route. Phase One has a patch for it, but you need to ask for it. Not sure about Linux version.

Focus speed is improved over G1 - also a nice enhancement.

I'm waiting on the 100-300mm - can't wait to try this combo too

Cheers,
--
Joe

ZDHart
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Mountain Joe, Aug 6, 2011

Mountain Joe... excellent samples! Very nice. I just got my G3, and I don't think I'd hesitate to shoot at ISO 800 as well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads