Thom Hogan on the X-100
Aug 4, 2011
Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,711Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan on the X-100
In reply to FlossTycoon, Aug 4, 2011

A good review. His final words sum up the X100 well:

What I'm going to say is this: it's a damned good tool for many things, but make sure that you can live with the idiosyncracies. This is not a camera that will adjust to you. You'll adjust to it, or you'll return it for store credit.

-- hide signature --

Jeff

My cat, who likes to sprawl on my keyboard, gets the credit for anything I write that makes sense.

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix X100 RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,404Gear list
Like?
Yes, an accurate summary...
In reply to Jeff Charles, Aug 4, 2011

And I'm more than prepared to put in the work to get the most out of this camera - even though I do sincerely hope that Fuji will continue to improve the firmware!

Cheers

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Keith Jefferies
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, an accurate summary...
In reply to Brian Mosley, Aug 4, 2011

Brian,

I just read your message on get DPI re the menu button.

I am not registered over there, so will offer a suggestion here for you.

In case you didn't know with the latest firmware 1.1. If you press and hold the menu button for about 3 secs. it will lock the scroll wheel and associated 4 buttons leaving only the menu button active. Repeat the process to unlock.

Hope this helps.

regards

Keith Jefferies's gear list:Keith Jefferies's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +2 more
ralphdaily
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?
Re: Yes, an accurate summary...
In reply to Keith Jefferies, Aug 4, 2011

This helps me. I did locked via menu button inadvertently, couldn't figure out how to get out and had to reset to default settings and re-customize.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralphandjenny/
Nikon D Seven Thousand Canon S ninety five Fuji x One Hundred

ralphdaily
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?

I agree Thom's review was fair. I enjoy the x100 but it is expensive and has quirks. Works for me, might not for everyone.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralphandjenny/
Nikon D Seven Thousand Canon S ninety five Fuji x One Hundred

Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,119
Like?

Pretty decent review; enough basic detail and well balanced. If this was published earlier I may have waited for the next iteration from fuji.

Brian Mosley
Like?
Hey, thanks Keith!
In reply to Keith Jefferies, Aug 4, 2011

Keith Jefferies wrote:

Brian,

I just read your message on get DPI re the menu button.

I am not registered over there, so will offer a suggestion here for you.

I really recommend you take the time to register there too... I've been on there for years and it's a very friendly photography oriented forum covering all formats. I love the 'fun with xxx' threads for each format - some very talented photographers sharing their work.

In case you didn't know with the latest firmware 1.1. If you press and hold the menu button for about 3 secs. it will lock the scroll wheel and associated 4 buttons leaving only the menu button active. Repeat the process to unlock.

Just discovered that this afternoon - great tip thanks I have it locked now. The soft velcro bump will also stay for now

Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks!

Cheers

Brian
--

Olympus E-M1
nand
Senior MemberPosts: 1,385Gear list
Like?

Make sure to get that fingerprint in the viewfinder.

Nand.

-- hide signature --

nand's gear list:nand's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +22 more
NoDal
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Fair and Balanced, but...
In reply to nand, Aug 4, 2011

I may quibble over some details, but I think Thom basically got it right. I appreciate that the X100 is something new and brave.

Feature-wise, I'd give the camera a 4/5--after I had discovered how to dispense with fiddling with most of the menu controls with auto-ISO, etc. That probably has a lot to do with personal taste and style. I detest clutter, be it in my environment or the tools I use. The Nikons Thom usually reviews are definitely more feature laden. I suppose this can be useful in some situations. Again, it's a matter of personal style.

I'd give the camera a 3/5 for value. If we were comparing the X100 to SLR's, it's definitely a 2/5 stars. But since the competition is really the large sensor compact market (Sigma, Leica X1, Micro Four Thirds), I'd give it 3 stars. I think the micro four thirds and Sony Nex's get a 4/5, as they pack a lot of punch for the price. the Leica X1 a 2/5 and the Sigma a 3/5. The M9 is in a completely different class...like comparing the price of a Central Park coop with a Brooklyn Brownstone.

Performance is more like a 3/5 in my book. When I nail it, the IQ is just outstanding. The camera combines a great wens and sensor. Processing might be slow, but it renders beautifully. HOWEVER, I find my self struggling with focus (real basic) far more often than I think I should. Every camera requires practice, but I've practiced a lot and I'm blowing a lot of shots with slightly out of focus faces.

I still like my X100 and often carry it with me (try that with a D7000!). That said, I'm looking forward to the X200. Perhaps in my heart of heart, what I really want is an M9.

StillsHunter
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jeff Charles, Aug 6, 2011

Jeff Charles wrote:

What I'm going to say is this: it's a damned good tool for many things, but make sure that you can live with the idiosyncracies. This is not a camera that will adjust to you. You'll adjust to it, or you'll return it for store credit.

-- hide signature --

Jeff

A good point to highlight. I am suffering deja vu here though. That caution was precisely what many folk said (and continue to say) about the Sigma DP series.

StillsHunter's gear list:StillsHunter's gear list
Ricoh GR
StillsHunter
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
Re: Fair and Balanced, but...
In reply to NoDal, Aug 6, 2011

NoDal wrote:

Performance is more like a 3/5 in my book. When I nail it, the IQ is just outstanding. The camera combines a great wens and sensor. Processing might be slow, but it renders beautifully. HOWEVER, I find my self struggling with focus (real basic) far more often than I think I should. Every camera requires practice, but I've practiced a lot and I'm blowing a lot of shots with slightly out of focus faces.

...they said THAT about the Sigma DP too. Uncanny!!!

I don't mean to harp on about it, but I succumbed to the DP2. Absolutely loved it and absolutely despised it. Now I'm tempted by the X100 and I'm hearing similar things. Hmmm...

StillsHunter's gear list:StillsHunter's gear list
Ricoh GR
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to StillsHunter, Aug 6, 2011

StillsHunter wrote:

NoDal wrote:

I don't mean to harp on about it, but I succumbed to the DP2. Absolutely loved it and absolutely despised it. Now I'm tempted by the X100 and I'm hearing similar things. Hmmm...

One big difference between the Fuji X100 and the Sigma DP2 is that the Fuji has a VERY useable ISO6400.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Erik Johansen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,271Gear list
Like?
Thom Hogan, not to believe....always
In reply to FlossTycoon, Aug 6, 2011

Like a politician, Tom H. never come out first with his thoughts...............
As a Nikon-guy, he never give all of his tomb up for anything else.
As a B&H guy, he allow you to buy one to give him some credit....

Fact is: Tom H. know very little about the daily use of a X100...........with all it´s quirks........;-)

Who reads old newspapers?
--
Canon since 1959, a Finepix X100.......and a F10 just in case
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fujicanon_photo/

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,188Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan, not to believe....always
In reply to Erik Johansen, Aug 7, 2011

Well, for me, still a toss up between the Fuji X100 and Leica X1 (or coming soon X2).

-- hide signature --

Like others here, I suffer from chronic GAS.
Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
a few hundred nautical miles SW : 17º 52S, 149º 56W

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +4 more
Brian Mosley
Like?
In reply to StillsHunter, Aug 7, 2011

StillsHunter wrote:

Jeff Charles wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jeff

A good point to highlight. I am suffering deja vu here though. That caution was precisely what many folk said (and continue to say) about the Sigma DP series.

Ah yes, at least I learned 2 things from that episode...

1. Listen and carefully consider those warnings before going with a new camera.

2. Get the camera in your hands before making a final decision.

I made a fully informed decision on the X100 based on the real-user experience shared online, and my own play in a local store... couldn't be happier now!

Cheers

Brian
--

Olympus E-M1
Brian Mosley
Like?
In reply to StillsHunter, Aug 7, 2011

StillsHunter wrote:

NoDal wrote:

I completely understand your point of view - my experience is so similar with the DP1 (although there was probably less info available with the DP1 online) - what I can say is the X100 is far and away a better proposition in that the sensor is widely supported by the mainstream converters. If you are prepared to learn the tool, you should be very happy with it.

Good luck

Brian
--

Olympus E-M1
d2f
d2f
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
In reply to FlossTycoon, Aug 7, 2011

Thanks for the link.

I think Thom's write up is well done, but there is a flaw.

To assess the x100 relative value he compares the x100 price wise to the Nikon D7000. He is comparing a camera and lens system to a body only cost.

A comparison he intended would be a Nikon D7000 with a equivalent 35 mm Nikon 2.0 lens to the x100 to determine a x100 value. In this cost comparison clearly the x100 fairs well.

I do agree with Thom that a 28 mm equivalent lens on the x100 would be a better choice.

D2f

d2f's gear list:d2f's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN
ljclark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,270Gear list
Like?
In reply to FlossTycoon, Aug 7, 2011

I got a kick from this quote:

The flash, hot shoe, and tripod mount are not aligned with the fixed 23mm (35mm equivalent) f/2 lens, something that the film rangefinders would never do (okay, some of them did; but the great ones didn't)."

So I pulled my Leica M6 off the shelf...

1. No flash at all, so not likely to align with the lens.

2. Hot shoe within bounds of lens mount, but certainly not on the lens center line.

3. Tripod mount off in right field.

By #3 alone, no Leica M series camera could ever be considered a "great" rangefinder. My M8's tripod mount is close to, but certainly not on center, through the X100's mount is farther off axis than the M8's.

So what were those "great" 35mm film rangefinders, if Leicas were not??

ljclark's gear list:ljclark's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +36 more
Nakiphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 516
Like?
In reply to d2f, Aug 7, 2011

d2f wrote:

I do agree with Thom that a 28 mm equivalent lens on the x100 would be a better choice.
D2f

That is always going to be subjective I'm afraid.... Cheers

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads