Nex7 - What do you think will be kit lens?

Started Aug 4, 2011 | Discussions
andrewrocks
Regular MemberPosts: 343
Like?
Re: Huh? Show us Nex 18-55 chromatic aberration at 55mm
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, Aug 4, 2011

uh oh i have sample photos and 3rd party reviews that further substantiate my point what are you going to do now??????? I could keep posting sample photos, but what's the point? The nex lenses have great build quality but are mediocre performers, and to claim other wise is just wrong. FYI, all these samples are pre-post. And please try to fix them in post, i'd really like to know your techniques. Now that I think about it the 1855 is the only lens i know of that actually gets worse when you stop it down.

Furthermore, your samples are worthless. I don't think you could've have picked tamer photos to try to prove your fruitless case. Please cherry pick some more for me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Yohan Pamudji
Senior MemberPosts: 2,857
Like?
Re: Nex7 - What do you think will be kit lens?
In reply to blue_skies, Aug 5, 2011

blue_skies wrote:

DonSantos wrote:

Definitely not the zeiss 24mm 1.8 which will go for over 1000$.

Any thoughts to a kit lens on the nex 7?

If they want it to directly compete with the x100 they better get creative.

Zeiss 24mm/1.8 Lens: $799

Nex-7 body: $649

Bundle: $1299

• $150 discount, or 10%

Let it be a game changer!

Pipe dreams or some powerful stuff you're smoking there! $649 for the NEX-7? If only. Not that Sony are strangers to selling hardware at a loss ([cough] PS3 [cough]), but I doubt they'll do it here. $1300 for body only might be closer to the mark.

Lng0004
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602
Like?

$649 for the body? I WISH! I would gladly sell my NEX-5 + 18-55mm set and add a little cash to get the NEX-7 body alone. I rarely use the 18-55mm anymore. What a waste.

blue_skies wrote:

DonSantos wrote:

• $150 discount, or 10%

Mark_McD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lng0004, Aug 5, 2011

Lng0004 wrote:

$649 for the body? I WISH! I would gladly sell my NEX-5 + 18-55mm set and add a little cash to get the NEX-7 body alone. I rarely use the 18-55mm anymore. What a waste.

blue_skies wrote:

DonSantos wrote:

• $150 discount, or 10%

You may want to try it out- it's known to be better than the comparable alpha kit-zoom. I generally prefer primes for both speed and less distortion. As far as zooms go, I have no huge complaints other than that.

for what it's worth as well, the nex-5 + SEL1855 is about $699, mind you this is lens + body. I don't see why it's unreasonable to assume that $649 for the nex-7 body would be too little. The SEL1855 sells for $299 brand new. $699 - $299 = $400 for the body, assuming no discount. If you want to napkin math it out, this implies the Nex-7 would be (brand new) $250 greater than the Nex-5 body. It also means that the CZ + Nex-7 kit would be $600 more than the Nex-5 + SEL1855.

Of course though, there is a discount for the "combo" which is why it's so cheap. It's also why often times you're better off buying the "kit" and taking a nearly-free lens.

Lets also bare in mind that current CZ lenses (say, biogon t) go for around $800 brand new. I don't see why the e-mount CZ would be more expensive for an APS-C design? It certainly won't have added cost due to OSS being added.

-- hide signature --
 Mark_McD's gear list:Mark_McD's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Canon Selphy CP800 +4 more
GodSpeaks
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,738Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kiril Karaatanasov, Aug 5, 2011

Kiril Karaatanasov wrote:

Did you notice the cheapest bundles of NEX-3,5 & 3C? They seem to carry a very decent 24mm equivalent extremely compact and relatively fast lens.

The 16mm is an ok lens, but it is really not stellar. The NEX-7 with it's 24MP sensor will need a stellar lens if you want to get the best out of it - hence, I'm sure, the reason for the CZ 24mm.

the much touted weaknesses of the 16mm f2.8 are way overblown IMHO. The lens is suberbly shrp in 98% of the image and is truly a great prime lens.

If you say so. I have the 16mm on my NEX-5 and I would disagree with you on this point. The 16mm is an OK lens, but definately NOT stellar.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,183
Like?
where's your evidence of bad CA at 24mm or 55mm?
In reply to andrewrocks, Aug 5, 2011

Andrewrocks, first you made the obviously false statement that the Nex kit zoom and the 16mm wide angle has horrendous CA (lateral color fringing) at every focal length at F8. Can you name a public reviewer who has said that? It wasn't Photozone, or even our own DPREVIEW.COM (which like me and Photozone has found the kit zoom to have basically no CA at 55mm at all):

I then showed you two 100% crop photos taken with the Nex kit zoom showing no CA in the corners, carefully noting that they were taken at F9.5 and F5.6 at 55mm and 24mm respectively. I suggested you show us a photo that was noticeably damaged by the CA Nex kit lenses. OF COURSE I MEANT FOR YOU TO POST 24MM and 55MM SAMPLES, which were the only focal lengths where I claimed the lens was well-behaved.

You then posted 2 photos at possibly enormous magnification, showing detectable CA at that possibly enormous magnification:

1. without saying what the lens was

2. without saying what the aperture was

3. without saying what the focal length was

4. without saying what the print size was, for example are they 3 foot wide enlargements?

5. without showing the whole image, so that we can decide if the overall image was damaged by the lenses at normal print sizes

and then you act like your mystery images prove that my Nex kit zoom has horrendous CA at every focal length. Despite my quite simple demonstration that my kit zoom does not have horrendous CA at 24mm and 55mm, even when looking at a 15 inch wide enlargement.

Are you claiming that your photos are samples of the 18-55 zoom at 55mm or 24mm, shown to us at normal print sizes? If not, then I ask you again for some evidence to back up your silly overly-blanket criticisms.

Andrewrocks: Furthermore, your samples are worthless. I don't think you could've have picked tamer photos

Ah, I see, the kit zoom only exhibits horrendous CA lateral color fringing on really good, risk-taking photo fragments like yours. If you look at tiny, tame photo fragments like mine, maybe there's no CA, but that doesn't count.

You do not appear able to acknowledge that you far overstated the case to imply that your presumably undamaged Nex kit zoom has horrendous CA at every focal length at F8 with normal enlargements, rendering the lens generally worthless.

There is no great shame in acknowledging a mistake on this forum, we all make mistakes constantly, mostly in proportion to how frequently we post, and/or over how many days a thread stretches.

I acknowledge my own slight mistake of not rubbing your nose in the DPreview.com and Photozone CA measurements sooner, thereby encouraging you to waste more thread space spreading more false ideas that the Nex kit lenses have unavoidable color fringing rendering them completely unusable for any normal purpose.

Odd that you would spin out such statements about a performance aspect where, as a portrait lens at 55mm, the kit zoom excels, both in Photozone tests, dpreview tests, and every other CA test of every other kit zoom owner except you.

Here at 45mm, describe for us the horrendous CA you find at the tiny, tame/lame corner fragment of a 3 foot wide enlargement at F8 from the 18-55 zoom. It's al link to the same fragment I posted on this forum some weeks ago during a fact -finding investigation of the kit zoom:

RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,183
Like?
so is Electronista wacko to disagree with you too?

http://www.electronista.com/reviews/sony-nex-c3.html

The 18-55mm lens...Focus was quick at either end of the aperture range and regardless of most light conditions; chromatic aberrations (the "purple fringing" sometimes seen in high-contrast scenes) were virtually absent .

travelinbri_74
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959
Like?
Re: so is Electronista wacko to disagree with you too?
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, Aug 5, 2011

I tend to think there will be a low end package and a high end, I expect this pricing:

Sony Nex7 w/18-55: 1099
Zeiss 24: 999
Sony Nex7 w/24: 1899 (10% saving)

But just a guess.

andrewrocks
Regular MemberPosts: 343
Like?
Re: where's your evidence of bad CA at 24mm or 55mm?
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, Aug 5, 2011

oh this is so much fun

re read photozone's review

what were the weak points??? Why do my photos have CA on this apparently CA proof lens? I should sell all my other lenses, this one is obviously the best.

oh snap

p.s. my photos were all taken on a nex5 @ 55mm between either f5 or f8

p.p.s. please explain to me why this lens gets better when it's stopped down? oh wait it doesn't LOL

ok so i was wrong about the 55mm aspect, but according to photozone, 18mm and 35mm are both pretty awesome!!

p.p.p.s. i'm still right you're still wrong, please jack off some more and circle more websites for me

uhoh07
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
Re: Huh? Show us Nex 18-55 chromatic aberration at 55mm

andrewrocks wrote:

uh oh i have sample photos and 3rd party reviews that further substantiate my point what are you going to do now??????? I could keep posting sample photos, but what's the point? The nex lenses have great build quality but are mediocre performers, and to claim other wise is just wrong. FYI, all these samples are pre-post. And please try to fix them in post, i'd really like to know your techniques. Now that I think about it the 1855 is the only lens i know of that actually gets worse when you stop it down.

Furthermore, your samples are worthless. I don't think you could've have picked tamer photos to try to prove your fruitless case. Please cherry pick some more for me.

First you trash the kit lens and the 16mm, which we have gone over with a fine tooth comb since last august.

It's one thing to say, I'm having an issue...or "is it my copy?" But you TELL us. Which really only makes me laugh. I think 30 years from now in the antique nex users forum some dweeb will lecture us all about the terribel kit and the terrible 16.

And predicatbaly those who are inherently modest, curious and WELL READ, are agahst at such silliness and make the case once again--what we know about the lenses.

So now, not only are Sony's lenses garbage, but Russell is working for Sony? We have to write this stuff down for our new screenplay---kebuki

Well I have a new 25:

Olympus Pen G.Zuiko 25/2.8
My cat after he read AR's post

I just hope we can buy the body alone

uhoh07's gear list:uhoh07's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
KM Legacy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,955
Like?
Re: Probably the 18-55
In reply to AdamT, Aug 5, 2011

AdamT wrote:

"the amount version [of the 18-55mm]...is... soft edged at 18mm and abysmal full stop at 55mm from the three I've used"

That sounds like a description of my NEX 18-55mm kit zoom.

Cy Cheze
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028
Like?
Something does not compute

The rumored features and kit 24mm Zeiss lens could push the cost over $1,000, where it would compete with the a77 or a55. Or at least it will be $200 or so above the NEX-5.

This here pauper is starting to scale back cravings. Perhaps a NEX-5c, or a G3, will suffice. A two-lens package deal would help. No need to flirt with Chapter 13 or WWIII with the keeper of the cookie jar.

GodSpeaks
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,738Gear list
Like?
Re: Something does not compute
In reply to Cy Cheze, Aug 6, 2011

Cy Cheze wrote:

The rumored features and kit 24mm Zeiss lens could push the cost over $1,000, where it would compete with the a77 or a55. Or at least it will be $200 or so above the NEX-5.

Actually, the rumors are placing the price of the NEX-7 above that of the A77. The real determining factor will be what the price of the NEX-7 body alone would be. Then add the lens of your choice for a package .

I am hoping that Sony will surprise us with a new pancake as part of an NEX-7 kit.

Well, I can dream, right?

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 55,627Gear list
Like?
In reply to KM Legacy, Aug 6, 2011

That sounds like a description of my NEX 18-55mm kit zoom.

Sony's sample variation must be horrendous ! . my NEX 18-55 is as good as the best copies of the canon or Nikon at 18mm and way better at 55mm - the IS is in a different league too (canon's IS is normally the best but in the 18-55 it's no better than Nikon's VR)

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Samsung NX20
jazzroy1972
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
In reply to AdamT, Aug 6, 2011

Rumors said 1200$, not specifing if lens is included.

If it's current 18-55 then body only (please sony sell body only variant..) will be around 1050, same difference as for Nex-5.
Instead if it's a new expensive lens, well.. even better!

Anyway it's a price tag not easy to be understood: if the lens is expensive the body seems too cheap (as others suggested a desiderable 649$), instead if it's with the kit zoom we have a price higher than the GH2, which is already on the expensive side..

All of this expecially comparing to the DSLR counterparts Sony will put on the market.

A note to the guys talking about the 18-55 results: please don't go off-topic with endless discussions, this post is about speculations on future Nex-7 bundles only.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads