Nex7 - What do you think will be kit lens?

Started Aug 4, 2011 | Discussions
DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,123Gear list
Like?
Nex7 - What do you think will be kit lens?
Aug 4, 2011

Definitely not the zeiss 24mm 1.8 which will go for over 1000$.

Any thoughts to a kit lens on the nex 7?

If they want it to directly compete with the x100 they better get creative.

DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,519Gear list
Like?
Re: Nex7 - What do you think will be kit lens?
In reply to DonSantos, Aug 4, 2011

DonSantos wrote:

Zeiss 24mm/1.8 Lens: $799

Nex-7 body: $649

Bundle: $1299

• $150 discount, or 10%

Let it be a game changer!

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,833Gear list
Like?
Probably the 18-55

Probably the standard 18-55, it wouldn't be the first time a company has put their cheap kit lens with a hi-end body - Canon did it bundling the 7D with the pretty rubbish 18-135, Pentax the K7 & K5 with the garbage 18-55WR etc . Sony's NEX 18-55 is better than the Sony-SAM, Panasonic, Nikon and Pentax variants (or mine is anyway) so can see them doing that

I just want a decent 28mm FOV F2.8 Prime - this curent 24mm Craze is just compromising the optics, I can't be the first to think that the little cheap NEX 16mm prime would have been more "Prme like" if it had been an 18mm instead of 16mm and struggling to match the wide end of a cheap kit zoom .

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
franzel
Contributing MemberPosts: 772
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Aug 4, 2011

blue_skies wrote:

Now we are talking !
I hope that will be closer to the actual prices than the rumored ones .
It'd be a game changer indeed !

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?

I'm hopeing for a new high quality pancake with a 28mm FoV, f2 or faster would be nice.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
junyeu
Regular MemberPosts: 227
Like?
In reply to GodSpeaks, Aug 4, 2011

why couldn't they have just made the 24mm a pancake like the one stuck on the x100. that lens is a pretty good performer but it seems the zeiss is gonna be 5 times bigger even with similar specs. =.="

Jinxt
Regular MemberPosts: 270
Like?
In reply to junyeu, Aug 4, 2011

junyeu wrote:

why couldn't they have just made the 24mm a pancake like the one stuck on the x100. that lens is a pretty good performer but it seems the zeiss is gonna be 5 times bigger even with similar specs. =.="

The X100 is tailored to that lens to correct any faults in the glass. They can do that because this is a FIXED lens for the camera.

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
In reply to junyeu, Aug 4, 2011

junyeu wrote:

Yeah, that Zeiss looks huge. But it will be a 36mm equiv focal length. Too long for me. I need a high quality, fast, 24 or 28mm equivalent.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
Kiril Karaatanasov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,868Gear list
Like?

GodSpeaks wrote:

junyeu wrote:

Yeah, that Zeiss looks huge. But it will be a 36mm equiv focal length. Too long for me. I need a high quality, fast, 24 or 28mm equivalent.

Did you notice the cheapest bundles of NEX-3,5 & 3C? They seem to carry a very decent 24mm equivalent extremely compact and relatively fast lens.

the much touted weaknesses of the 16mm f2.8 are way overblown IMHO. The lens is suberbly shrp in 98% of the image and is truly a great prime lens.

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
underxposed59
Contributing MemberPosts: 711
Like?

GodSpeaks wrote:

junyeu wrote:

-- hide signature --

• Rayna Butler

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-a-nex-7-one-minute-hands-on-report-zeiss-with-leaf-shutter/

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,519Gear list
Like?
Re: Nex7 - wow!!
In reply to underxposed59, Aug 4, 2011

underxposed59 wrote:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-a-nex-7-one-minute-hands-on-report-zeiss-with-leaf-shutter/

Wow,

Customized sensor
Rangefinder focus
Slent shutter
iRetina viewfinder
Fast AF
"Do not buy your X100 yet"
Well balanced
High IQ lens

Sounds like an homage

Camera of the year competitor?

Fun!

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
andrewrocks
Regular MemberPosts: 343
Like?
Re: Probably the 18-55
In reply to AdamT, Aug 4, 2011

the emount 18-55mm is better than the amount version?

wow. That amount lens must be atrocious. I have horrendous CA @ f8 at any focal length with my nex lens. In fact, i've found both my 16mm & the 1855 to be largely worthless. Hence my use of manual lenses.

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,833Gear list
Like?
Re: Probably the 18-55
In reply to andrewrocks, Aug 4, 2011

the emount 18-55mm is better than the amount version?

Absolutely

wow. That amount lens must be atrocious.

It is !! , soft edged at 18mm and abysmal full stop at 55mm from the three I've used - at least the NEX lens is sharp edge tio edge wideopen across the zoom range

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?

blue_skies wrote:

underxposed59 wrote:

Wow,

Customized sensor
Rangefinder focus
Slent shutter
iRetina viewfinder
Fast AF
Well balanced
High IQ lens

Sounds like an homage

Fun!

Suddenly, the Sony 16mm may start performing better in the corners. There are already reports of improvements with the NEX-C3.

underxposed59
Contributing MemberPosts: 711
Like?
In reply to headofdestiny, Aug 4, 2011

headofdestiny wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

underxposed59 wrote:

Wow,

Customized sensor
Rangefinder focus
Slent shutter
iRetina viewfinder
Fast AF
Well balanced
High IQ lens

Sounds like an homage

Fun!

Suddenly, the Sony 16mm may start performing better in the corners. There are already reports of improvements with the NEX-C3.

And if Sony get enough experience under their belts, applying micro lenses to adjust for soft corners, think what they can do with a NEX9?
Leica M9 competetor.

Rooru S
Contributing MemberPosts: 697Gear list
Like?

blue_skies wrote:

DonSantos wrote:

Bundle: $1299

• $150 discount, or 10%

Let it be a game changer!

mmm but remember that the NEX-C3+SEL1855 is being retailed at first for 649USD...then it comes the NEX-5N...let's say, around 749USD or a bit more since It got EVF compatibility...and then comes the NEX-7 with let's say hypothetically bundled with SEL1855 around 949USD since it got the same sensor and EVF as a77 (priced supposedly around 1000USD-1300USD)

Then what's the price of the Sony Zeiss 24mm f/2? 1249.99USD...and the new Zeiss it's 24mm f/1.8 and keeping in mind it uses a short registration distance....mmmmm maybe around 949USD it's a good number...I see the body only for 849USD, and the Zeiss priced around 949USD so the NEX7+SEL24F18Z bundle could be priced around 1599USD

But I like more your numbers

Rooru S's gear list:Rooru S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W170 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +6 more
kenneth_manila
Contributing MemberPosts: 905
Like?
Man

Now I'm very tempted to get the NEX-7.

I'm wondering about the mythical NEX-9.

At the rate Sony's releasing these cameras, I might end up with all 3 of them. (Which is not really good as I bought the proprietary external flash for my NEX-5.)

headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?
In reply to underxposed59, Aug 4, 2011

underxposed59 wrote:

headofdestiny wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

underxposed59 wrote:

Wow,

Customized sensor
Rangefinder focus
Slent shutter
iRetina viewfinder
Fast AF
Well balanced
High IQ lens

Sounds like an homage

Fun!

And if Sony get enough experience under their belts, applying micro lenses to adjust for soft corners, think what they can do with a NEX9?
Leica M9 competetor.

Sony would have to make an entirely new lens line for a "NEX9," and they surely aren't gonna build a camera for someone else's lenses. I think NEX is an aps-c only venture, but we'll have to wait and see.

Jinxt
Regular MemberPosts: 270
Like?
In reply to Rooru S, Aug 4, 2011

mispost

RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,197
Like?
Huh? Show us Nex 18-55 chromatic aberration at 55mm
In reply to andrewrocks, Aug 4, 2011

andrewrocks: I have horrendous CA @ f8 at any focal length with my nex lens.

Those are ridiculously untrue example-free words, that the Nex 18-55 kit zoom has horrendous CA chromatic aberration at F8 at any focal length. For example, both 3rd party reviewers and my own personal experience testify that at 55mm (longest focal length), the kit zoom has basically no CA at all, an outstanding performance in that narrow regard that you have specified. Example 55mm F9.5 corner crop, definitely not corrected for CA in post-processing:

Even this little example shows the interesting tuning-to-the-edge of the 18-55 zoom at 55mm. In that at the extreme corner of the image the resolution falls off, but just move 50 pixels or so inwards (i.e. 1.25% of picture width) and the sharpness is unremarkable (i.e. noticeably better).

Also, extreme corner chromatic aberration around the 24mm "sweet spot" on the kit zoom, while not zero, is numerically rather moderate at, say, F5.6. Don't recall if I did any lateral color correction in post-processing or not:

Now of course, anything is possible , so it may be that you have a completely defective or damaged kit zoom. I'd put good money on a bet that you can't show us the " horrendous CA " from my Nex 18-55 (or any other Nex kit zoom sample photo on this forum) at 55mm or 24mm.

It's also a bit odd that you imply high standards for your lenses (and thus your overall photographic aspirations) but can't bring yourself to do simple chromatic aberration corrections in post-processing.

In fact, i've found both my 16mm & the 1855 to be largely worthless.

Guess you forgot to show us the sample photos that were clearly damaged by noticeable chromatic aberration, by dint of your use of the Nex kit lenses, at ordinary display sizes. Ideally with the "good" version of the scene (taken with the "better" lens) alongside it.

Every tool is worthless for something that it's not matched well with. If most of your work requires the exact corner resolution of a Zeiss Planar 50mm F1.4 (a lens like 'most any F1.4 rather soft in the corners wide open by the way) at F5.6, then of course the Nex kit lenses are "worthless".

Since the Nex kit lenses cost so little we can all agree that our expectations for them can't be too high. But it is going too far to write that they have such high lateral chromatic aberrations at all settings as to be worthless for most purposes.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads