Olympus USA Service: the NeverEnding Story

Started Aug 3, 2011 | Discussions
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,466Gear list
Like?
Olympus USA Service: the NeverEnding Story
Aug 3, 2011

As you may or may not know, during the last week of June, Olympus and I came to an agreement about how to properly handle my unfortunate E-5 situation. Olympus did not want me to make any further public issue out of their service policies and self-confessed "older" AF motors on SHG lenses. I sent the E-5, for a fifth and final time, to the attention of Daniel Ziccardi on June 27th. It arrived on June 30th @ 10:58 A.M. in Hauppauge, NY. Someone named Peter signed for it. As of today, August 2nd, Daniel claims to know nothing about the shipment and no resolution is pending.

I was patient and quiet the entire month of July; sometimes corporate wheels turn slowly. I have kept the situation largely to myself. Finally, today, I inquired about status. After this latest revelation, my fingers are itching and I'm ready to post again in forum 1022. I know there are about 12,492 people here who don't like me, especially when I shout the truth, but there you are. I do believe, though, that it's always good to give credit where credit is due and Olympus has certainly earned another ugly black star here. Maybe I can squeeze a few more unrealized decibels out of my displeasure and ratchet the disapproval dial a bit higher.

By the way, don't for a moment think that I believe this latest twist is an accident.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
pinnacle
Senior MemberPosts: 2,399Gear list
Like?
Oh yes...
In reply to James Pilcher, Aug 3, 2011

Its a good ol' fashioned conspiracy to make you lose your mind. It harkens back to your days working for the French underground. They never forgot the day you admitted that you were a double agent.

Time for some therapy Jim. Perhaps a little past the time for a little levity on a soft couch...

Dan
--

Will I learn from life's lessons or will I lose my faith in the goodness life's promise had to offer?

pinnacle's gear list:pinnacle's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hondo2
Regular MemberPosts: 459
Like?
Re: Olympus USA Service: the NeverEnding Story

Now the fools don't even know where it is. Great, just great. Hire an attorney. These incompetent jerks deserve a lawsuit.

James Pilcher
Like?
of Ferraris and paper weights
In reply to hondo2, Aug 3, 2011

hondo2 wrote:

Now the fools don't even know where it is. Great, just great. Hire an attorney. These incompetent jerks deserve a lawsuit.

If Olympus had lost my Ferrari, I might call my lawyer. No self-respecting judge is going to make it worth my while to sue over a poorly engineered paper weight.

I have a sense of humor though. This situation is so surreal that it's hilarious. It's only serious to the camera owner at the keyboard in Colorado.

Jim Pilcher

Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,507Gear list
Like?

Make that 12493

Can you enlighten us as of how you got your shiny camera with a crooked focusing screen on July 14th (20 days ago), yet it was delivered to Olympus and lost since June 30th (34 days ago) ?

Oh, was it July 30th ? Should we think for a moment you committing this error was an accident ?

Oh, btw, if it was July 30th, that means that they've got your camera 4 days ago. Olympus support claims a normal handling time of 5 business days between time of reception of the item and time when it pops in their system.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
Bootstrap
Forum ProPosts: 20,999
Like?
Indicitave of the general state of customer service

in the US.

While not of the same monetary magnitude, I've been suffering through several instances of poor or no customer service from supposedly reputable companies. Horrible. And, they really don't care

Your experience passed laughable about 6 months ago. You're a much more patient man than I, Jim.

I may have said in the past that an indicator of the demise of the E-System Olympus cameras would be when my original E-1 was put up for sale.
My original E-1 is for sale.
Good luck Jim.

Bill Turner

If you don't know where you're going, you'll never get there. -- Yogi Berra

PDidd117w3n7y
Regular MemberPosts: 432
Like?

James can you post the latest from the online repair status check page (personal info redacted of course). http://www.olympusamerica.com/repair enter you name and SN# or SO#....

While I do not disbelieve your story the previous post above mine saying something about received it back from them with crooked screen 20 days ago yet you say sent back in final time 34.... just want to clear it up that they have it.

Ferrari or camera I'd still be in small claims court or something man thats almost $2000 give or take you are out looking at new MSRP. and 1200 ish used if in good condition (i know not possible with yours unless fixed).
--
Patrick D.

http://www.pwdphotography.com

goblin
Like?
In reply to PDidd117w3n7y, Aug 3, 2011

Yep, would love to be enlightened here, as I sorta kinda remember another 150 posts thread some 20 days ago. About some camera being received BRAND NEW from Olympus in replacement for the bad unit which caused us to see yet a few more 150 post threads some months back, with a free FS something focusing screen being not installed right, which caused another nuclear attack in due form on these bad, bad Olympus boys.

So was it 34 days, or 4 days, and is SOMEONE SERIOUSLY MAXING OUT THEIR WHINING CREDIT HERE ?

Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
James Pilcher
Like?
disorienting
In reply to goblin, Aug 3, 2011

goblin wrote:

Can you enlighten us as of how you got your shiny camera with a crooked focusing screen on July 14th (20 days ago), yet it was delivered to Olympus and lost since June 30th (34 days ago) ?

Hmm...I'm holding in my hand a UPS ticket from June 27th. And you are correct about July 14th. This thing has gone back and forth between me and Olympus so many times that I have obviously lost track of trips and dates. I apologize for the contradictory post. The situation is real though; as of August 2, Olympus does not know where the package is.

Jim Pilcher

goblin
Like?
Re: disorienting

Ok

Now take a deep breath, and please realize that turnaround time for a camera to pop up in their (Hauppage's repair) own system (from the moment they receive it) is currently around five business days. I got a deal on a full box of broken Oly stuff recently, I've been sending it to them little by little this last month, and they have confirmed this 5 days thing with me several times.

Your camera is there, but it gets in the system (the one Oly tech support operators in Pensylvania have access to) when it lands on a technician's desk.

Chill out.

CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,424Gear list
Like?
Lets Go.

1 ) Hmmmm flask of coffee to early for popcorn ( it gets stuck in my teeth anyway and we have run out of toothpicks. ) "check"

2) digestive biscuits ( The age thing ) Na then I have to go to the toilet some time . Ok salty cracks and remember the glass of water. " Check"
3) Reverse displays to primary. "Check"
4) Take boots off and put on slippers. (Fur lined one’s) , " check"
5) Adjust chair ( More slouchy style.) "check"

“OK BOYS LET HER RIP.”

-- hide signature --

Collin

(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )

http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Bootstrap
Forum ProPosts: 20,999
Like?
Re: Lets Go.
In reply to CollBaxter, Aug 3, 2011

-- hide signature --

Bill Turner

If you don't know where you're going, you'll never get there. -- Yogi Berra

Bruce Spell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,373
Like?
Jim,

James Pilcher wrote:

As you may or may not know, during the last week of June, Olympus and I came to an agreement about how to properly handle my unfortunate E-5 situation. Olympus did not want me to make any further public issue out of their service policies and self-confessed "older" AF motors on SHG lenses. I sent the E-5, for a fifth and final time, to the attention of Daniel Ziccardi on June 27th. It arrived on June 30th @ 10:58 A.M. in Hauppauge, NY. Someone named Peter signed for it. As of today, August 2nd, Daniel claims to know nothing about the shipment and no resolution is pending.

I was patient and quiet the entire month of July; sometimes corporate wheels turn slowly. I have kept the situation largely to myself. Finally, today, I inquired about status. After this latest revelation, my fingers are itching and I'm ready to post again in forum 1022. I know there are about 12,492 people here who don't like me, especially when I shout the truth, but there you are. I do believe, though, that it's always good to give credit where credit is due and Olympus has certainly earned another ugly black star here. Maybe I can squeeze a few more unrealized decibels out of my displeasure and ratchet the disapproval dial a bit higher.

By the way, don't for a moment think that I believe this latest twist is an accident.

What was your part of the agreement you reached at the end of June? Certainly if you agreed to quit publicly berating them over the issue then you didn't hold up your end of the agreement.

I'm also a bit perplexed over your statement that you remained patient and quiet the entire month of July. Perhaps you already forgot this thread?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=38896616

I know you are frustrated. I would be frustrated too. However, don't make it worse by misrepresenting yourself now.
--
Bruce

Paul Auclair
Senior MemberPosts: 2,770Gear list
Like?
Oly customer service is on par...

it seems with what I get from most any organization I have the displeasure to deal with.

It strongly seems that todays industry standard policy towards customer service is hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for calling and have a good day Sir.

On a technical issue I called Olympus' tech line and was treated nicely and respectfully. Being that I recently had a dirty sensor issue that cost 75$ to clean I asked the tech how much an Oly service sensor cleaning was and he transferred me to CS.

I asked the CS girl the same question and she said a "camera" cleaning was 69.99 plus tax.

Fair enough. I asked if a "camera" cleaning include the sensor and explained nicely that it's the sensor that is "my" primary concern.
You wouldn't believe (actually you would) what transpired next.

Many vollies back and forth about me expressing/explaining my keen interest in particular to whether or not the sensor in particular would be cleaned as part of a "camera" cleaning and her stating "I don't know, you'll have to send the camera in and we'll email you if the sensor needs cleaning".

So after a few of these vollies she's had enough and states "Sir were are just going in circles here. You need to send the camera in for repair and we'll let you know if the sensor needs cleaning." Again I state that the information she has (not) provided is not helpfull. I kindly asked to speak with someone whom may be able to answer my one single specific question. "No Sir".

I still haven't lost my temper (but am close to it) and state it's not a trick question.
CS girl says "Thnx for calling Olympus and have a nice day" click.

I phone back the tech line person and explain what just happened and he apologetically/respectfully transfered me back to another (informed of the situation) CS person.

This latest CS girl is also apologetic and respectfull and in less than 30 seconds confirms that the sensor will in fact be cleaned (if needed) as part of a "camera" cleaning service.

I did mention to the latest S girl that I was shocked at the behavior of the other CS girl especially since Oly's customer service is currently viewed mostly in a bad light.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Auclair's gear list:Paul Auclair's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +19 more
John Iversen
Contributing MemberPosts: 817
Like?
Re: Lets Go.
In reply to CollBaxter, Aug 3, 2011

You forgot just one thing. Background music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn481KcjvMo

Salskov

CollBaxter wrote:

1 ) Hmmmm flask of coffee to early for popcorn ( it gets stuck in my teeth anyway and we have run out of toothpicks. ) "check"

2) digestive biscuits ( The age thing ) Na then I have to go to the toilet some time . Ok salty cracks and remember the glass of water. " Check"
3) Reverse displays to primary. "Check"
4) Take boots off and put on slippers. (Fur lined one’s) , " check"
5) Adjust chair ( More slouchy style.) "check"

“OK BOYS LET HER RIP.”

-- hide signature --

Collin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

-- hide signature --

There he goes. One of God’s own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, too rare to die.

~ Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,020Gear list
Like?
Wrong ticket?

If you're holding the UPS ticket from a previous trip, that might be why they can't find it?
I know you just want this over and done with... may it be settled soon.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Pete_CSCS
Senior MemberPosts: 2,818Gear list
Like?
Jim they’re trying to turn you into…

Captain Queeq.

A hysterical, blabbering, pile of flesh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUp3vhMSfZE

I know this is no laughing matter, but I couldn't resist. Maybe they want you to sweat it out. Hopefully your package will show up soon.

-- hide signature --

'When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at
his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two,
and I know it was not that blow that did it,
but all that had gone before.'
-- Jacob Riis (1849 - 1914)

Stay Well,
Pete K.

Pete_CSCS's gear list:Pete_CSCS's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z612 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,020Gear list
Like?
Movie rights?

unfortunately no swardplay, car chases, exploding buildings or vampires, so no film company would be interested
--
Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
goblin
Like?
Now what ?
In reply to Art_P, Aug 3, 2011

The thread continuing its own little life (as expected), and people continuing to bash the brand's tech support obviously without giving themselves the time to read and realize the whole thread is the result of the OP's error (again - as expected) - would the OP be fair enough to contact the moderators of this forum and request the removal of the thread, before his credibility sinks into negative levels ?

Not that the thread stinks, but it sounds to me that we are now deep into defamation territory here. It's becoming an insult to all parties involved. Readers, not to mention them.

CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,424Gear list
Like?
Ah music and the savage breast.
In reply to John Iversen, Aug 3, 2011

I do like Kenny Rogers saw him at Sun City many years ago.

Actually you are right this post needs some music to set/mimic the tone/theme here . Some good old country where the horse dies, his wife absconds with all his money and kids for his best friend, the dog bites him and the bank is foreclosing on the mortgage and the pickup won't start.

I could not find a 1 shoe fits all as I am not a country type guy.

The closest I could get was this I am sure we can make a good mix.

Dead Horse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Mgi_RkY3Q
Or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF2mPP1MIdI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CtV4LaipoM
Wife thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3OWkNTmViI ( I listen to the whole song) LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzAQH2Qm-D8&feature=related
Bank Stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ayb3DjEMGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2vem1j3Z4g

Truck Stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGs-T5FNAyc
Final Closing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huCwZ6pJ9pM

Get out of here you Judas dog . OK where did that cow hide the razor blades.
--
Collin

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads