Epson 3800 Stops Printing Halfway(or less)Through Image

Started Aug 3, 2011 | Discussions
Marshal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,893
Like?
Epson 3800 Stops Printing Halfway(or less)Through Image
Aug 3, 2011

As the title indicates, my 3800 has suddenly developed a problem where after the PC sends the document, sometimes just a Jpeg format Contact Sheet in PS CS5 to the printer, it gets maybe halfway(sometimes more, sometimes less), through the printing and it just abruptly stops and nothing else happens. I then have to Cancel the document printing & try again.

It prints text documents fine, but with anything photographic from + - 3MB up, it just quits about halfway through. This is with Windows 7 Premium, 64 bit, 4Gb of RAM & 3.2ghz quad core proc. I've tried rebooting & trying again, but same thing. This is with the USB 2 connection. I've also performed Disk Cleanup and did get rid of some old temp files, but the problem's still there.

Anyone have experience with this either with the 3800 or any other printer?

Charles2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,156
Like?
Try changing one step of the path at a time
In reply to Marshal, Aug 3, 2011

Try changing one step of the path at a time. For example, save the image file out of Photoshop and use another program to send it to the printer. You can download the free program Fast Stone if you need another program.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Patchy
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Re: Epson 3800 Stops Printing Halfway(or less)Through Image

I had the same problem 2 weeks ago with my Epson 3800 printing from Mac Os X.

After printing half way the print procces stopped and I got a communication error message.

It was a long search to find the problem. Finally it was caused by the USB cable.

I have no idea why a USB cable that worked for many year starts to make problems without even touching it.

Give it a try.

Ingo

Robert Snow
Contributing MemberPosts: 718Gear list
Like?
In reply to Patchy, Aug 3, 2011

Ditto to the above...

I have had problems such as yours, and changing out to a different USB cable fixed my problem. This was in the past and on different model Epson printers.

bob snow

Robert Snow's gear list:Robert Snow's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 70D
pluton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200
Like?
In reply to Robert Snow, Aug 3, 2011

And, just to pile on, I have solved similar problems between the OSX computer and the 3800 by eliminating a USB hub from the signal path.
--
-KB-

Marshal
Like?
In reply to Patchy, Aug 3, 2011

OK, thanks. I'll try that.

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,923
Like?

if you're techno savvy, setting up and using the Ethernet port on the 3800 will be a big win.

PaulBearer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,487Gear list
Like?
Try Operator Error, unless the USB cable is, in fact, the problem....
In reply to Marshal, Aug 4, 2011

I'm not sure why a bad cable would cause the same problem over and over again, but perhaps there is a geeky technical answer.

I had the problem with my 3880 more than a year ago. I can't recall exactly what the problem was, but it related to image and canvas size and paper size. As I recall, it took me about 5 bad prints to figure it out, and i was using very large, expensive paper.

Cable changes are an easy troubleshooting step, but the next thought should be operator error.

Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 12,096
Like?
Re: Try Operator Error, unless the USB cable is, in fact, the problem....
In reply to PaulBearer, Aug 4, 2011

PaulBearer wrote:

I'm not sure why a bad cable would cause the same problem over and over again, but perhaps there is a geeky technical answer.

I had the problem with my 3880 more than a year ago. I can't recall exactly what the problem was, but it related to image and canvas size and paper size. As I recall, it took me about 5 bad prints to figure it out, and i was using very large, expensive paper.

Cable changes are an easy troubleshooting step, but the next thought should be operator error.

Was your solution -- Cable, Correcting Operator Error, or what....
--
Vernon...

Marshal
Like?
Re: Try Operator Error, unless the USB cable is, in fact, the problem....
In reply to PaulBearer, Aug 5, 2011

How would it be operator error? I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be doing. By the book.

Marshal
Like?
In reply to Robert Snow, Aug 5, 2011

Robert,

I changed USB cables and it was working fine last night so I thought that had solved it.

But I booted up and went to print some more today, and the problem recurred. So it's back to square one on troubleshooting. Anything else you know to do?

Robert Snow
Like?
In reply to Marshal, Aug 6, 2011

Ah boy! It could be so many different things...

Here is a quote from a message in 2008:

"I suspect you have a buffer/RAM corruption.

Try rebooting the computer. > BUT

This may or may not be your problem. I would suggest that you check how much disk space is available for your Temp file. Also, how much ram do you have? Are you using a USB port on the computer? If not, try connecting directly to one of the computer ports. There is always a chance that uninstalling and re-installing your driver might cure the problem.

Do some searching on Google...they cache this site along with several others and might have some more suggestions. This has been an ongoing common problem over time.

Good luck, bob snow

Tom-C
Senior MemberPosts: 1,051Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marshal, Aug 6, 2011

Go to http://ddisoftware.com/tech/articles/40/ where Mike Chaney, the author of QImage has a series of articles.

In particular, look at the February and April 2006 articles.

The info in those two articles may help in your case.

Tom

Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Marshal
Like?
In reply to Robert Snow, Aug 7, 2011

Thanks Robert. I may try that the next time. It worked ok when I was printing more contact sheets last night. But another thing I did was go through the quick setup procedure in the Quick Start Guide. Particularly, disconnecting the printer, restarting both it comp & then reconnecting the new cord & in a different USB port.

Btw, the USB port is on the computer(the back)and I'm not using a hub for anything in case anyone asks. I've heard those cause problems which is 1 reason I've never used them. The other reason is I have 8 USB 2 ports in all, so never needed one.

Thanks again for the info.

Robert Snow
Like?
In reply to Marshal, Aug 8, 2011

Glad to know you got the printer going good again! They can do beautiful work, but can be totally frustrating at times.

By the way, I checked Epson's USA site and could find no trouble shooting info on this particular boo boo.

Have fun...

bob snow

PaulBearer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,487Gear list
Like?
Well, if it isn't the cable, and it isn't you, what is it....
In reply to Marshal, Aug 10, 2011

When you can't find something, it's always in the last place you look. If I can't find my wallet, I look everywhere, including the places my wife is positive it isn't, since I've already looked all other places.

The other choices are that your software, drivers, or printer are screwed up. My experience is that something I've done accidentally, or some magic microwaves have changed a setting somewhere, turns out to be the problem when I've tried all the logical items.

I usually print through Photoshop, and although an expert I can attest to the fact that there seem to be dozens of settings that can affect printing. I cannot recall the cause when something very similar to what the original post described, but it did turn out to be operator error - as I pointed out above, it was, as I recall, in my case, some combination of paper/canvas size and image size.

Had I simply stopped at reading every tutorial on how to print an image, I'd have never found it. I knew something different was happening, I just didn't know what even though I'd gone "by the book" to make my prints.

The other option is to go through your computer and delete every reference to Epson, including trash, and install fresh drivers from the Epson website. Then, if that doesn't work, contact Epson. If that doesn't work, go back to operator error.

I'm just trying to help. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Marshal
Like?
Re: Well, if it isn't the cable, and it isn't you, what is it....
In reply to PaulBearer, Aug 10, 2011

Don't worry, not shooting the messenger.

Syd_Epson
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
In reply to Marshal, Aug 10, 2011

My name is Syd and I work for Epson America, Inc.

There may have been an update in your system that is causing this conflict with the printer software. One option to try is to remove and reinstall the printer software; there is a chance some type of corruption is within the software. Should you have another application besides Photoshop it would be a good idea to try this too. It is possible that something within Photoshop could be generating an issue.

Hope this helps,
Syd

Marshal
Like?
In reply to Syd_Epson, Aug 10, 2011

Thanks Syd. I'll do that if the problem resurfaces again.

dwa1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,407
Like?
Looks like the same problem that tealeaf is having (4900)...
In reply to Syd_Epson, Aug 10, 2011

Just an fyi...

This problem seems to be happening with the 4900 too...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1003&message=38986523

Although there were no posts from Epson on this thread, tealeaf (the op) states that she has been in contact with Epson support.
--
Wayne

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads