Lumix DMC - TZ8 "SYSTEM ERROR (FOCUS)"

Started Aug 2, 2011 | Discussions
Frazer Godfrey
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Lumix DMC - TZ8 "SYSTEM ERROR (FOCUS)"
Aug 2, 2011

Hi Everybody,

My Lumix DMC - TZ8 has bricked on me and I just get a error message Saying "SYSTEM ERROR (FOCUS)" and the lens does not go in when I turn it off. It is less than 18 months old. Does anyone know what's happened and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Frazer

Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,347
Like?
Re: Lumix DMC - TZ8 "SYSTEM ERROR (FOCUS)"
In reply to Frazer Godfrey, Aug 2, 2011

A quick search on Google for that error message shows plenty have had it. Looks like it might need repair after a quick look

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wibe
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Frazer Godfrey, Aug 3, 2011

Had the same thing happen with mine three days ago. Almost definitely due to sand getting into the lens mechanism while on holiday. Took to recommended repair shop in London and got quoted £97 for the repair. Will be buying something else instead. Lesson learnt, I guess...

Frazer Godfrey
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Wibe, Aug 7, 2011

I thought that might be what it was so as the lens was stuck out I cleaned it with a proper lens solution. Still no joy. Did the repair shop say it is unfixable?

MusicDoctorDJ
Forum ProPosts: 12,400
Like?
Don't blame the manufacturers . . .
In reply to Wibe, Aug 7, 2011

Wibe wrote:

Had the same thing happen with mine three days ago. Almost definitely due to sand getting into the lens mechanism while on holiday. Took to recommended repair shop in London and got quoted £97 for the repair. Will be buying something else instead. Lesson learnt, I guess...

I see this problem every day . . . and not just Panasonic Lumix cameras, either!

It is funny how so many are quick to assume that this is Panasonic's (or any of the other manufacturers, for that matter) fault, when nine times out of 10 it is something that the user did to the camera.

Like drop it . . . bump the lens against something . . . accidently turned it on while it was still in the case . . . got sand in the lens while at the beach . . . let their kids take it to school . . . etc.

You may not even remember dropping it or doing one of these other things to the camera, but chances are this is exactly what happened.

These cameras don't just suddently go defective after several months of use . . .

Typically, if a camera is defective it will be that way right out of the box!

-- hide signature --

J. D.
Colorado

• "If your insurance company tells you that you don't need a lawyer . . . hire a lawyer!"

letmealone
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
Re: Don't blame the manufacturers . . .
In reply to MusicDoctorDJ, Aug 7, 2011

Well it is not always as you say, sometimes some parts in a camera are badly designed and dont last as they should (i remind the dial selector in Fujis S9000-S9500 or the popping shutter button in the Sony DSC-H). This lens error reminds to me the E18 problem of some Canon cameras. Here it is a guide for trying to fix it, maybe it could be helpful even for this Panasonic:

http://www.e18error.com/repair.html

Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,280
Like?
In reply to letmealone, Aug 7, 2011

I'll go ahead and beat the drum again. Not the first time, sorry

Probably the best solution for gunk getting into the camera's "works" is to always keep the camera in a loose, plastic bag, particularly if carrying it in a pocket.

I lost a lovely little Minolta Xi - an internally zooming camera - when lint got into the 'sealed' lens unit. When I took the camera apart and found that the lens unit could not be taken apart, I noticed lint & such packed in lots of places inside the camera.

So my next camera was always carried in a plastic bag - I use the cheap "Sandwich Bags" I buy by the box for a buck or two, very cheap.

A forum member from the humid UK warned that it's not a good idea to use a 'zipper-lock' bag as any moisture locked into the bag will create a "Mini-Sauna" for the camera when sealed into the bag. And opening the zipper slows one down. I leave the wrist strap hanging out so I can get the camera out fast!

I have carried cameras for over a year each with no problem - and the smooth bag keeps surface wear (paint wearing off corners, surface scratches) down, too. All of my pocket cameras look & work as new.

I'd use a bag as a liner for a case, too - my sister's Xi case had lint packed in the corners.

So far I have carried in my pocket during all waking hours, a Minolta X50, Panasonic TZ1, TZ3,TZ5, ZS3 & ZS6 in this manner, and have experienced NO dust/lint/sand problems. The TZ5 was carried in my pocket for a long time and has since been in my wife's purse - in it's plastic bag, for several years of constant use, looks & works like brand new.

TZ-1 in plastic bag "Case":

-Erik

-- hide signature --

DP Review Supporter.

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
http://www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/

viviano
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to letmealone, Oct 12, 2012

letmealone wrote:

Well it is not always as you say, sometimes some parts in a camera are badly designed and dont last as they should (i remind the dial selector in Fujis S9000-S9500 or the popping shutter button in the Sony DSC-H). This lens error reminds to me the E18 problem of some Canon cameras. Here it is a guide for trying to fix it, maybe it could be helpful even for this Panasonic:

http://www.e18error.com/repair.html

hey i also had this problem and my camera is just out of warranty.  called panasonic 'helpline' and they werent very helpful, surprise eh? so i tried number 4 on the e18eror.com

"Try forcing the camera lens: Turn off the camera. Place it on the back with the lens facing up and take a look at the spacing between the lens and the lens housing. If you notice that the gap is not even all the way around the lens, the problem should be easy to fix. This type of a problem usually occurs if the camera was dropped while the lens was extended.  Simply - VERY GENTLY - press down the lens on the side where the gap is the biggest. You should hear a "click" as it pops back into place. Try powering the camera back on.  AND IT WORKED!  thank you so much for your help and for saving me a £100 repair bill or cost of new camera!

Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,280
Like?
In reply to viviano, Oct 12, 2012

I haven't had this problem.

That said, you have "nothing to lose" and I have heard this recommended:

Try turning the camera on & off while holding the lens in contact with something that vibrates fairly hard, such as an electric razor. Keep the lens pointing generally down, but move it around.

Assuming it's sand (a little rock) you may be able to shake it loose and with the lens pointing down, maybe out of the camera.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads