Upgrade E-3 to E-5? Worth it?

Started Aug 1, 2011 | Discussions
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,151
Like?
Upgrade E-3 to E-5? Worth it?
Aug 1, 2011

Hi,

I'm currently using the E-3 and a bunch of ZD (7-14, 12-60, 50-200 and 50 macro). I shoot mostly landscapes, but also portraits, street, architecture and macros.

I'm happy with the results of this setup, but, unfortunately, I played with some E-5 files and I'm wowed by the resolution I can get. For landscape, it would be really welcomed.

On the other side, it seems that the E-5 files are noisier at base ISO than the E-3 files.

Now, the idea of upgrading is growing on me. So I wolud like to ask those who have upgraded from the E-3 to the E-5 :

Is it worth it, form an image quality POV? Are you satisfied with the upgrade?

Thanks in advance for helping

-- hide signature --
sammy_j
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?
Re: Upgrade E-3 to E-5? Worth it?
In reply to Pixnat2, Aug 1, 2011

I am in the same exact situation as you, and I am comtemplating this or a 5Dmk2.

I am convinced the quality difference is not that much of a difference between the two cameras. (e-5 and 5Dmk2)
--
sammy_j

(formerly sammyj)
http://www.samuel-jimenez.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MilSooper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869Gear list
Like?
In reply to sammy_j, Aug 1, 2011

I use both and there is a big difference between the two.

The canon is not near as solid, no articulating screen, menus are much different.
The dust mechanism is not quite there yet.

The canon images require a lot more work to get that "just right" feeling.

MilSooper's gear list:MilSooper's gear list
Leica M8.2 Olympus E-5 Leica M9-P Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
sammy_j
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?
In reply to MilSooper, Aug 2, 2011

Which would you personally prefer to shoot landscapes with? which results?
--
sammy_j

(formerly sammyj)

win13
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
In reply to Pixnat2, Aug 2, 2011

Yes I have and shoot ISO 350 to 650 works great. Have not tried the lower stops yet.

I also shoot mostly landscapes in Thailand.

Win

Pixnat2 wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently using the E-3 and a bunch of ZD (7-14, 12-60, 50-200 and 50 macro). I shoot mostly landscapes, but also portraits, street, architecture and macros.

I'm happy with the results of this setup, but, unfortunately, I played with some E-5 files and I'm wowed by the resolution I can get. For landscape, it would be really welcomed.

On the other side, it seems that the E-5 files are noisier at base ISO than the E-3 files.

Now, the idea of upgrading is growing on me. So I wolud like to ask those who have upgraded from the E-3 to the E-5 :

Is it worth it, form an image quality POV? Are you satisfied with the upgrade?

Thanks in advance for helping

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Kan Win

Pixnat2
Like?
In reply to sammy_j, Aug 2, 2011

sammy_j wrote:

I am in the same exact situation as you, and I am comtemplating this or a 5Dmk2.

Well, difficult choice, I concede. I have the 5D Mk1 and some primes, and I consider sometimes selling my Oly setup and go Canon FF and m4/3.

I am convinced the quality difference is not that much of a difference between the two cameras. (e-5 and 5Dmk2)

Here's my experience with the 5D MK1 and E-3 :

Colors, build quality, AF, optics, overall IQ : the E-3 is better

High ISO, DR, clean image : the 5D wins hands down.

What bugs me with Canon is the jpeg colors, really bad compared to Oly. But if you shoot RAW and with sharp and expensive L lenses, the results are great.
Moreover, Canon will not stop making DSLR...
What a hard desicion!!!

-- hide signature --

sammy_j

(formerly sammyj)

-- hide signature --
Phil
Contributing MemberPosts: 743Gear list
Like?
In reply to win13, Aug 2, 2011

I upgraded from the E3 to the E5 about 9 months ago. I have the same lenes as you except for th 7-14. I think the IQ of the E5 is somewhat beter, but the biggest thing is that I used to have to manage the E3 not to blow out highlights (I shoot mainly aperture priority). With the E5 this is not so much a problem. I guess the metering and the base ISO of 200 along with the processing make this work.

All in all I am happy with the upgrade and started to keep the E3 as a backup, but I sold it for almost half the E5 costs and kept my wife's E620 instead. I never shoot the E620 because looking throught the view finder of and E3 or E5 is so much better. I suspect if you upgrade you will be happy.
--
Phil

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Pixnat2
Like?
Thanks Win,
In reply to win13, Aug 2, 2011

Thanks for sharing your experience Win, it's encouraging.

But I have a question : why do you shoot landscapes with mid-range ISO?

Oh, and what do you think about RAW noise between E-3 and E-5?

Thank you!

-- hide signature --
Pixnat2
Like?
Thank you Phil!
In reply to Phil, Aug 2, 2011

Phil wrote:

I upgraded from the E3 to the E5 about 9 months ago. I have the same lenes as you except for th 7-14. I think the IQ of the E5 is somewhat beter, but the biggest thing is that I used to have to manage the E3 not to blow out highlights (I shoot mainly aperture priority). With the E5 this is not so much a problem. I guess the metering and the base ISO of 200 along with the processing make this work.

Well, that's good news! Blown highlights can really be a problem with the E-3. I usually use spot metering coupled with focus point to avoid it, with more or less sucess. But if the E-5 does the job better, that's cool

What I like in the E-3 is the clean shadows. I can push it one stop without getting too much noise. Is it the same with the E-5?

All in all I am happy with the upgrade and started to keep the E3 as a backup, but I sold it for almost half the E5 costs and kept my wife's E620 instead. I never shoot the E620 because looking throught the view finder of and E3 or E5 is so much better. I suspect if you upgrade you will be happy.

Thanks a lot, I could make the same as you soon (with m4/3 instead of the E-620)

-- hide signature --

Phil

-- hide signature --
MilSooper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869Gear list
Like?
In reply to sammy_j, Aug 2, 2011

I am a paid photographer in a niche market and whenever I have a choice I use the Olympus. The lenses, ease of use, image quality, robustness of the body quality win out over all the others in several price brackets.

I was forced into full frame by a group of clients that had "pixel brain syndrome" from reading things on the internet.

MilSooper's gear list:MilSooper's gear list
Leica M8.2 Olympus E-5 Leica M9-P Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
Pixnat2
Like?
Hi MilSooper,
In reply to MilSooper, Aug 2, 2011

MilSooper wrote:

I am a paid photographer in a niche market and whenever I have a choice I use the Olympus. The lenses, ease of use, image quality, robustness of the body quality win out over all the others in several price brackets.

That's nice to read. I agree with you!

I was forced into full frame by a group of clients that had "pixel brain syndrome" from reading things on the internet.

Well, I need to get a cure about FF I'm just spoiled by the cleanliness ot the 5D RAW, and the latitude in PP. But I use 90% of the time the E-3 and the E-P1
--
Cheers,

Frederic
http://azurphoto.com/blog/

JJJPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 2,557Gear list
Like?
Why I sold my Canon gear.

Pixnat2 wrote:

Here's my experience with the 5D MK1 and E-3 :

Colors, build quality, AF, optics, overall IQ : the E-3 is better

High ISO, DR, clean image : the 5D wins hands down.

What bugs me with Canon is the jpeg colors, really bad compared to Oly. But if you shoot RAW and with sharp and expensive L lenses, the results are great.
Moreover, Canon will not stop making DSLR...

I've been a multi-system user for a number of years and decided to sell my Canon gear earlier this year after coming to much the same conclusion. High ISO and better dynamic range were not good enough reasons for me personally to keep using Canon gear.

I realize it's totally subjective and I am NOT bashing Canon, but my personal choice is Olympus over Canon.

As for the future of Olympus DSLRs, I hope there are more Olympus DSLRs in the future but if the micro 4/3 system continues to improve performance and Olympus finds a way to make the 35-100mm f/2 focus lightning quick on a m4/3 body then I won't care.

JJJPhoto's gear list:JJJPhoto's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus PEN E-P3
joeletx
Contributing MemberPosts: 703Gear list
Like?

I upgraded to the E-5 last April and could not be happier with the decision. I mainly shoot wildlife, scenery and portrait. I still keep the E-3 with 50k shots as a backup or when I have to shoot two lens. I can see markedly resolution improvement in portrait shots despite of the modest increase in megapixel, especially with the 12-60mm lens. The foremost improvement is the DR from ISO-200 and up. I rarely blow highlight any more. It may be the combination of metering, new V-PIC engine or DR, the E-5 is much easier to shoot in tricky light situation. When I made a misktake with over exposure, I just applied the highlight recovery in CS4/CS5 and every thing would be fine. With the E-3, it was realy tough to do so. Lastly, I think the RAW files look smoother in grain structure. So far I shot ISO-1600 quite frequently.

Joe

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +4 more
Pixnat2
Like?
Thank you Joe!
In reply to joeletx, Aug 2, 2011

joeletx wrote:

I upgraded to the E-5 last April and could not be happier with the decision. I mainly shoot wildlife, scenery and portrait. I still keep the E-3 with 50k shots as a backup or when I have to shoot two lens. I can see markedly resolution improvement in portrait shots despite of the modest increase in megapixel, especially with the 12-60mm lens. The foremost improvement is the DR from ISO-200 and up. I rarely blow highlight any more. It may be the combination of metering, new V-PIC engine or DR, the E-5 is much easier to shoot in tricky light situation. When I made a misktake with over exposure, I just applied the highlight recovery in CS4/CS5 and every thing would be fine. With the E-3, it was realy tough to do so. Lastly, I think the RAW files look smoother in grain structure. So far I shot ISO-1600 quite frequently.

Joe

Thank you, that's very helpful informations, just what I was looking for! That's nice to read that DR have been improved too in RAW.

I will go really soon for an E-5!

Have a nice day!
--
Cheers,

Frederic

Pixnat2
Like?
Re: Why I sold my Canon gear.
In reply to JJJPhoto, Aug 2, 2011

JJJPhoto wrote:

I've been a multi-system user for a number of years and decided to sell my Canon gear earlier this year after coming to much the same conclusion. High ISO and better dynamic range were not good enough reasons for me personally to keep using Canon gear.

I realize it's totally subjective and I am NOT bashing Canon, but my personal choice is Olympus over Canon.

Thanks for sahring your experience JJJphoto,

I'm like you, I personally prefer Olympus subjectively, but objectively too : the Oly jpegs are just great OOC, no need to fiddle with WB and other sliders

As for the future of Olympus DSLRs, I hope there are more Olympus DSLRs in the future but if the micro 4/3 system continues to improve performance and Olympus finds a way to make the 35-100mm f/2 focus lightning quick on a m4/3 body then I won't care.

I hope this camera will exist one day, but recently there was a rumors told that Oly gave up to try to merge PDAF and CDAF.
--
Cheers,

Frederic

JJJPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 2,557Gear list
Like?
Re: Why I sold my Canon gear.

Pixnat2 wrote:

JJJPhoto wrote:

I hope this camera will exist one day, but recently there was a rumors told that Oly gave up to try to merge PDAF and CDAF.

Rumors are that Sony is about to release a new adapter for its E-mount NEX cameras that will provide faster AF with the larger A-mount lenses thanks to a translucent prism/mirror viewfinder and PDAF gizmo.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-huge-sony-leak/

If (and it's a big IF) that rumor is true and Sony finds a way to make PDAF lenses focus quick on a CDAF camera then maybe Olympus will try again to make 4/3 lenses work with fast AF on m4/3 bodies.

JJJPhoto's gear list:JJJPhoto's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus PEN E-P3
djbrom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,198Gear list
Like?
Yes and Yes...
In reply to Pixnat2, Aug 3, 2011

I dont really want you to be convinced by what others say, but it does help in making a decision. I went from e3 to e5 and the difference was quite amazing. Yes there is some more noise but there is also a lot more detail that "can" be obtained from the e5 raw files which clearly offsets the more noise which can be reduced in ACR/LR quite effectively.

The best part is that ALL your lenses will benefit form the additional detail teh e5 can produce due to its lighter aa filter. There are times you may get moire but thats part of the deal with the lighter aa filter. It can in most cases be removed quite effectively as well.

djbrom's gear list:djbrom's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
Pixnat2
Like?
Thank you djbrom! I've ordered the E-5...
In reply to djbrom, Aug 3, 2011

Thanks for your honest answer!

I see too more noise in the E-5 files I've downloaded, but as you said, it's easy to remove it in ACR withous loosing too much detail, and wow, there are tons of details in an E-5 RAW!

Finally, I've ordered an E-5, and it will arrive soon. I will keep the E-3 for a while and compare both to make up my mind, and probably sell the E-3 afterward.

Thanks everybody for your helpful insights

-- hide signature --
Ray Thompson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,221
Like?
Just Upgraded from E-1/E-3 to E-5
In reply to Pixnat2, Aug 3, 2011

I just did.

I swung back and forth on the decision since December 2010. I have the E-1 and the E-3. The upgrade to the E-5 was a long decision. I have no experience with the E-5 as it just arrived today. I am glad that Olympus finally supported the SD cards so there is no more worry about bending pins as there is on the CF. (Although I have yet to bend a pin so my worries may just be paranoia.)

The display screen is markedly better is about all I can say at this point.

I will be selling my E-1, probably on E-bay along with SHLD grip, grip strap, two batteries for the camera, 1 battery for the grip. Although that will be a tough decision also. That camera has served me well, even surviving a car accident requiring repair by Olympus, paid by the other parties insurance company, as the camera would not power up.

-- hide signature --

RayT

xanax77
Regular MemberPosts: 261
Like?
I use E Lenses with a MFT body (EP1)
In reply to Ray Thompson, Aug 3, 2011

the 50mm Macro and the Panaleica FT 25 are the lenses I use most of the time. Looking at the successor models in MFT format, I have the feeling that the rendering is inferior. Maybe other users and tests will prove me wrong. So maybe you want to stay with the E system because the lenses have slower AF but are optically superior

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads