Best wide angle pocket camera

Started Aug 1, 2011 | Discussions
jb2c
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Best wide angle pocket camera
Aug 1, 2011

Hi all. My wife needs a better quality wide angle camera for photos for her work. She knows absolutely nothing about cameras, and I don't know too much more! She is taking still shots of boat interiors and exteriors. She had been using my Panasonic (TZ3 I believe it is). But the pictures were not good enough, and real problems with not enough wide angle ability. She had to hire a professional photographer for some of the boats recently, but can't continue to do that. She would like to find out if there are any simple to use cameras that would give her better quality than the Panasonic, particularly better wide angle shots for the boat interiors. If you've been on some boats, you know how small the heads and lockers and staterooms can be on some of them.

I've tried to help, but just don't know enough about what is out there. We tried going to the store, and the gentleman seemed knowledgeable and recc. a Sony DSC-WX9 with the panoramic shots. We bought it and she tried it today. She just called and said it wasn't going to work well enough. Apparently, it crops the panoramic photos and makes them look 'short'. She also wasn't impressed with the quality of the photos (but told me nothing more specific than that).

I'll list all the models that my internet searching came up with. There are a bunch:
Canon S95 or S90 Panasonic DMC-LX5 or LX3
Panasonic FX35K Sony DSC-H55
Samsung NV24HDNikon Coolpix P100 Leica M8
Kodak P880 Kodak V570 or V705
Sony DSC-HX1 EOS Rebel T2i
Nikon D7000 Panasonic GF1
Ricoh GX or GR Olympus Pen
Sony DSC-H20 Samsung EX1
Panasonic DMC-ZS1 or ZS3 Samsung SB210
Pentax *ist DL or K100D

I know that some of these are full size, not pocket cameras. A smaller size would definitely be preferred. But a larger size is not out of the question. However, it's mainly a need for a simple camera for my wife. It would always be used in auto mode!

Can someone help me shorten this list? Or recc. a solid choice otherwise. I thought my Panasonic TZ was pretty good, but she needs better. A little better quality picture and alot better wide angle ability. She also would never use any software to edit photos, so stitching and photo editing are out.

Thanks.

cberry
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?
Re: Best wide angle pocket camera
In reply to jb2c, Aug 1, 2011

24mm wide is about as good as it gets in compacts. I'd suggest looking at the G12 because of the hot-shoe. It's complicated but when well set up, it should work well.

The other option is (Again) look at using a Metz 28 CS2 flash) inside boats there's a need for extreme wide-angle, fast lens and all the flash help you can get because the ceiling is so low...
cb

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KCook
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,309Gear list
Like?

I haven't shot any boats in a while. But for WA I got a Sigma 10-20 for my Canon DSLR

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_10-20_4-5p6_n15/

With Canon's crop factor that works out to 16-32mm in the old 35mm terms. Which is ridiculously wide! Of course this is hardly a compact solution (or cheap). But Canon's Auto modes will serve for a casual shooter.

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-PL2
sherwoodpete
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,761
Like?

Consider Panasonic LX5 together with the wide conversion lens. Gives 18mm equivalent.

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/lx5/optional_accessories.html

Also the older LX3 + wide converter.

Regards,
Peter

Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
In reply to sherwoodpete, Aug 2, 2011

sherwoodpete wrote:

Consider Panasonic LX5 together with the wide conversion lens. Gives 18mm equivalent.

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/lx5/optional_accessories.html

Also the older LX3 + wide converter.

Yes. I have two of the LX3 model, one of them I keep with the wide conversion lens permantly mounted. It is an excellent wide angle camera for tight interiors shot handheld, and the LX5 is even better, they say.
--
Regards,
Baz

"Ahh... But the thing is, they were not just ORDINARY time travellers!"

jb2c
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to Barrie Davis, Aug 2, 2011

These are full size cameras. Anything in a smaller pocket type camera that could do the job??

Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
In reply to jb2c, Aug 2, 2011

jb2c wrote:

These are full size cameras. Anything in a smaller pocket type camera that could do the job??

Wow! We must have different ideas of what is "full-sized!" They are microscopic compared with what I'm used to..... where even a full-frame dSLR is regarded as a "miniature" camera.

The Canon S95 is slightly smaller than LX5, and has 24mm at the wide end, but no converter for wider than that, well, that I know of.... Otherwise it is a matter of getting bigger pockets, I'm afraid.

I carry my LX3 cameras together in a little shoulder bag of leather... and congratulate myself on how very small it is compared with any of the other kit I have.
--
Regards,
Baz

"Ahh... But the thing is, they were not just ORDINARY time travellers!"

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads