I need tip(s) for still 3D with Sony HX9V ...

Started Aug 1, 2011 | Discussions
Sid in SE Texas
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?
I need tip(s) for still 3D with Sony HX9V ...
Aug 1, 2011

Hi ya'll.

I actually do not have any way ( like 3d tv ) to play back or watch the (single lens) 3d of my Sony Hx9v. However, I will be taking a trip soon and would like to take some 3d pics anyway for future viewing. Without knowing what they will look like, does anyone have this camera who can suggest something like camera to subject distance for me so I can shoot some 3d pics anyway ? In other words, about how far should I step back from the main object to take the pic ? I assume I should focus on that object first, then recompose for the complete view before snapping ? Is that about right ?

Thanks,
Sid

Sid in SE Texas's gear list:Sid in SE Texas's gear list
Sigma DP2 Quattro
Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
Re: I need tip(s) for still 3D with Sony HX9V ...
In reply to Sid in SE Texas, Aug 1, 2011

I've a lot of Sony 3D-one-eyed-cameras. With these cameras 3D is a JOKE - only 3D panorama is so-la-la usable. Forget other 3D options, especially 3D stills. They are not a joke, they are full for the cat.

You can make with EACH camera VERY GOOD 3D pictures .. click, some centimeters to right, click ... done. Using (free) StereoPhotoMaker your perfect 3D pictures are some minutes later - reaaaady.

If you want to make good 3D photos/movies, you need a two-eyed camera, f.e. Sony Bloggie3D, Sony TD10, JVC TD1, Fuji W1 or better Fuji W3. Also forget Panasonic 3D, this is expensive sh-it. Detto Aiptek & Consorts, they are cheap sh-it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sid in SE Texas
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?
Knallberto .....
In reply to Knallberto, Aug 1, 2011

Knallberto ,

Yeah, I kind of figured it was crap. I am going to download that program you mentioned and give the two pic approach a try ... thanks for the tips !!

Take care,
Sid

Sid in SE Texas's gear list:Sid in SE Texas's gear list
Sigma DP2 Quattro
David T. Long
Senior MemberPosts: 1,996Gear list
Like?
Re: Knallberto .....
In reply to Sid in SE Texas, Aug 1, 2011

Now to be fair.

The 3d still option is as indicated worthless and I don't knw why they even bothered. However if you wanted a partial 3d image of a coin standing on end it might be ok. For this I would use my canon DSLR on a slide bar.

Now the sweep modes work ok. There are different flavors for it that you would need to learn, but they do work. And your can in stereo photo maker, make crops to what you would like. I don't use the multi-view anymore as it really is not that interesting, but the 3d standalone MPO is ok. However, you can get the same image using the horizonal sweep for "TV".

In a pinch the "Cha-Cha" method mentioned works well. The only problem there is after you align the images you will lose some parts of the image after the alignment crop.

Have fun

-- hide signature --

David T. Long
East Lansing, Michigan

Kodak DC220, Kodak DC265, Kodak DC 4800, Epson PhotoPC 3000Z, Olympus E-10, Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom, Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom, Canon 20D, Canon G9, Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3, Canon EOS 550D, Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7, Sony GH9V, Sony Bloggie 3D

David T. Long's gear list:David T. Long's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
Knallberto
Like?
In reply to David T. Long, Aug 1, 2011

David T. Long wrote:

but the 3d standalone MPO is ok.

It's a Sony "trick" for all-believing people. It CANNOT work.

Programs which "convert" ONE 2D picture to 3D are sh.it. Even primary scholars know that.

Sony cameras make within very short time TWO pictures, which are not suited for 3D. Even when you move camera parts of 1mm.

You get good 3D if parallaxe ~ 5-7cm ... for macros less. Cameras with two eyes and parallaxe 2cm (like Sony Bloogie3D or LG 3D smartphone) make solala 3D pictures.
You must have a lot of fantasy to accept them as 3D - undemanding people do so.

My Sony TD10 has 3cm parallaxe, this is an "low" limit for acceptable results.
Sony Bloggie3D has 2 cm parallaxe .... hmmmm ... okay, okay ... nearly.

Lumix3D has 1cm - that's PURE sh.it! For price of this stupid lens you get a complete Fuji W3 - parallaxe=7.5cm(!) that's okay!

GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,419Gear list
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, Aug 2, 2011

Knallberto wrote:

David T. Long wrote:

but the 3d standalone MPO is ok.

It's a Sony "trick" for all-believing people. It CANNOT work.

Programs which "convert" ONE 2D picture to 3D are sh.it. Even primary scholars know that.

Sony cameras make within very short time TWO pictures, which are not suited for 3D. Even when you move camera parts of 1mm.

You get good 3D if parallaxe ~ 5-7cm ... for macros less. Cameras with two eyes and parallaxe 2cm (like Sony Bloogie3D or LG 3D smartphone) make solala 3D pictures.
You must have a lot of fantasy to accept them as 3D - undemanding people do so.

Sony Nex sweep panorama 3D photos are 3D, and the mode does work fine, with limitations.

Try it, and try "cha cha" and see which you prefer. It turns out that the low resolution doesn't matter if you don't print too large, but most of the problem I have with the "sweep panorama" modes are stitching errors and subject movement. This can also be a problem with "cha cha". It's usually harder for me to correct misaligned "cha cha" photos, but perhaps the newer versions of Stereo PhotoMaker work better.

My Sony TD10 has 3cm parallaxe, this is an "low" limit for acceptable results.
Sony Bloggie3D has 2 cm parallaxe .... hmmmm ... okay, okay ... nearly.

Lumix3D has 1cm - that's PURE sh.it! For price of this stupid lens you get a complete Fuji W3 - parallaxe=7.5cm(!) that's okay!

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +9 more
Knallberto
Like?
In reply to GaryW, Aug 2, 2011

Sony Nex sweep panorama 3D photos are 3D, and the mode does work fine, with limitations.

I never said, Sony panoramas are not okay. STILLs are not okay! And they never will be, even if Sony makes headstands. But it's a good selling point to sell cameras to stupid people.

Even simple 3D monitors / 3D tvs / programs can convert 2D MOVIEs to 3D !

GaryW
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, Aug 3, 2011

Knallberto wrote:

I never said, Sony panoramas are not okay. STILLs are not okay! And they never will be, even if Sony makes headstands. But it's a good selling point to sell cameras to stupid people.

What are you talking about? The "3d sweep panorama" is the only way to get a 3D still out of the Nex.... unless you want to fall back to "cha cha".

Even simple 3D monitors / 3D tvs / programs can convert 2D MOVIEs to 3D !

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +9 more
Knallberto
Like?
In reply to GaryW, Aug 3, 2011

Unaible for reading? I NEVER said such a thing.
I said:

S-O-N-Y cannot make 3D STILLs, STILLs, S_T_I_L_L_s ! S_T_I_H_I_H_I_H_I_L_L_s!

Buy a cheap Sony Bloggie3D - and you will get (half)perfect 3D stills!
Reason ... it has TWO ... T_W_O ....2... lenses !

GaryW
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, Aug 5, 2011

Knallberto wrote:

Unaible for reading? I NEVER said such a thing.
I said:

S-O-N-Y cannot make 3D STILLs, STILLs, S_T_I_L_L_s ! S_T_I_H_I_H_I_H_I_L_L_s!

SOOONNNNYYY NNEEEXXXX does make 3D "stills". I even print them in lenticular format. It's not a video.

Buy a cheap Sony Bloggie3D - and you will get (half)perfect 3D stills!
Reason ... it has TWO ... T_W_O ....2... lenses !

That would be better for video. VVIIIIDDEEOOOOO! Can't do video with one lens. Are you sure you're not confusing the word 'still' with 'motion'?!? So, yes, I'm reading, but I don't think the problem is my reading ability.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads