thinking about getting a D200 advice please

Started Jul 25, 2011 | Discussions
footstepsintime
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
thinking about getting a D200 advice please
Jul 25, 2011

hi as it says im thinking of getting one well saving for one i still use film and i start an online course on monday in professional freelance photography

this camera seems to be great from what i have seen any one have one that can give there thoughts id have to do alot of saving there around £450 used for a body

thanks in advance for any advice
oh i shoot landscape and wildlife/nature

azguy
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,134
Like?
Re: thinking about getting a D200 advice please
In reply to footstepsintime, Jul 25, 2011

I think you will be very happy with a used D200. When it came out it took the DX format to a new level. I have had several of them and have one now as a 2nd body to a D300. Try to determine how many shutter clicks are on it to help you decide. It has wide lens acceptance.

It shoots a pretty clean ISO up to 800 and the 100 base is nice too. It feels great in the hand and is a good size. The controls are in very good positions.

Welcome to digital!
--
JohnE
Some of my work is shown here:
http://www.biltmorephoto.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tyoung
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,375Gear list
Like?

footstepsintime wrote:

hi as it says im thinking of getting one well saving for one i still use film and i start an online course on monday in professional freelance photography

this camera seems to be great from what i have seen any one have one that can give there thoughts id have to do alot of saving there around £450 used for a body

thanks in advance for any advice
oh i shoot landscape and wildlife/nature

At £450 I'd want to be sure that it was in very good condition but even though it's a bit long in the tooth technology wise, it's a very solid and capable camera. The Autofocus, while quite good in and of itself doesn't quite match the newer AF systems which may try your patience at times with certain types of wildlife photography, something that could be said for any AF system, just a bit more so with the earlier camera bodies. Also, newer cameras do handle high ISO and/or underexposure conditions with somewhat less noise. This can be minimized with care but it's something you'll want to bear in mind when shooting without flash in poor light conditions.

On the upside, in good light, the color rendition is excellent and at 8MP the Raw image file sizes are a joy to work with on todays computers..

I'm still using mine. It's taken quite a beating over the years in all sorts of weather conditions. Once it tumbled about 20 feet down a marble staircase. The camera still works perfectly. As long as that continues, I can't see any reason to set it down.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

'Here, look at the monkey. Look at the silly monkey!'

Tom Young
http://www.pbase.com/tyoung/

tyoung's gear list:tyoung's gear list
Nikon D200
marcus300
Regular MemberPosts: 232Gear list
Like?

For £450 you should be able to get an excellent example and have lots of fun.... It's a great camera. I still have one and i'm more than happy with what it's able to do.

Good luck....

M

marcus300's gear list:marcus300's gear list
Nikon D300
footstepsintime
Like?
In reply to marcus300, Jul 25, 2011

well i think 10.2 mp is enough and the camera for that price is at the London camera exchange

iv not found it cheaper i do like the d300 and d300s but way out of reach for me maybe oneday if i start selling prints

azguy
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,134
Like?

The one I saw on the London Camera Exchange site said:

Description:
A SHUTTER COUNT OF JUST OVER 1000

Comes with manual, software, battery, charger, AC lead, body cap, lcd cover and strap.

I would be concerned that the 1,000 shutter can't be correct. It may have rolled over (10,000 at a time), or been reset by Nikon repair. I would discuss this.
--
JohnE
Some of my work is shown here:
http://www.biltmorephoto.com

footstepsintime
Like?
In reply to azguy, Jul 25, 2011

ill miss that one anyway dont have the cash yet not at work so its going to take time so just researching now and wait ill have to stick with me film camera till i have enough

im have to pay for the course myself too

greenmanphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 660Gear list
Like?
In reply to footstepsintime, Jul 26, 2011

Hi,

Some may dismiss this post as rumor, but you might consider waiting a bit to try and get a D300. More than likely, a D400 (or whatever they're going to call it) will come out soon (there's an announcement scheduled for the end of August, and there are other rumors about it coming out sometime around the new year). When that happens, there's a good chance that quite a few D300's are going to pop up for sale. I know you said it'll take a while before you can buy one, so keep this in mind. I have a D200, bought when my D300 died and I plan on keeping it as a backup. I'm hoping to buy the D400 when it comes out.

Good luck!
Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.

D200, 16-85mm, 35-135mm, Sigma 10-20 f3.5 N8008s, Gitzo 2531, Induro DM-01 ballhead
Certified Texas Master Naturalist
Proud WSSA Member #260!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sibeardjr
http://www.doormouse-editions.com

greenmanphoto's gear list:greenmanphoto's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +5 more
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,329
Like?

Price actually seems high. In the USA when stores were closing out the D200's they sold for the equivalent of 450 Euros. You will get a lot more camera with a used D300 in terms of the autofocus (15 cross type sensors instead of 1) and slightly better high ISO performance.

I found the D200 to be quite usable up to ISO 1250 after which point the noise would jump markedly in most scenes.

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,927Gear list
Like?

I think it's a great landscape camera. Really, quite a nice camera overall too.

It's base ISO is 100, and it excels in bright light. It's nowhere near as good at high ISO shooting as a D300. I was always nervous taking it over ISO 400. If you do shoot higher, you don't want to underexpose at all.

When I first got a D300, I was shooting both cameras side-by-side a lot, and I didn't think there was much difference initially, except in these areas:
1. The LCD panel on the D300 puts older LCD panels to shame.
2. The 100% viewfinder on the D300 is nicer.

3. The D300 really seemed to shoot 'brighter' or 'harsher' or 'tended to blow highlights' more. I frequently shot the D300 at a -0.7 exposure in the sun, while shooting the D200 at 0.0. Whether one underexposes, or the other overexposes is something I'm still thinking about. But in the bright sun, I've always liked the D200 rendition better. Certainly the look of images out of the D300 is different from the D300.

After using both cameras for a while, it became apparent to me that the D300 has a lot better autofocus too. Mostly that shows in low contrast lighting or dim lighting.

The D200 eats batteries at least twice as fast as a D300. I was only getting 400-500 shots out of a charge. I like the accessory grip for the D200 (though the D300's is much better) and the fact it holds two batteries.

-- hide signature --
 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +32 more
ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,961
Like?

Really liked mine when I had it and still wish I hadn't sold it for the D 300.
--
ABA DABA

Kelowna
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Jul 26, 2011

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

I think it's a great landscape camera. Really, quite a nice camera overall too.

It's base ISO is 100, and it excels in bright light.

Very true. The D200 shows less noise at base ISO than the D300 does when viewing blue skies in landscape images.

Its sensor is optimized for daylight or more towards the blue end of the spectrum. By contrast, the D300 is optimized more towards the red end of the spectrum and therefore produces superior images when shot at high ISOs under incandescent lighting indoors. This may also explain some of the D300 overexposure described in #3 below.

When I first got a D300, I was shooting both cameras side-by-side a lot, and I didn't think there was much difference initially, except in these areas:
1. The LCD panel on the D300 puts older LCD panels to shame.

Triple the resolution

2. The 100% viewfinder on the D300 is nicer.

3. The D300 really seemed to shoot 'brighter' or 'harsher' or 'tended to blow highlights' more. I frequently shot the D300 at a -0.7 exposure in the sun, while shooting the D200 at 0.0. Whether one underexposes, or the other overexposes is something I'm still thinking about. But in the bright sun, I've always liked the D200 rendition better. Certainly the look of images out of the D300 is different from the D300.

.edit for brevity...........

The D200 eats batteries at least twice as fast as a D300.

I concur. Still, you can buy a lot of replacement batteries and charge them for the hundreds of dollars difference between the two bodies on the used market.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Desmond Murray
http://www.KelownaPhotographer.com
I shoot to thrill

jinnyc
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Use Lightroom 3 for NR

Just a few observations (some already pointed out):

1. D200 used price has come down--B&H and KEH have it for $500-600, should be able to find it cheaper in private sales (I've seen it for @$275-350 on craigslist)

2. Great camera at base ISO--in some ways cleaner than D300, IMO.

3. Acceptable noise to 640 or so, thereafter it gets a bit noisy for me.

4. I use Lightroom 3 and found that it really does control/process noise out of high ISO images from D200. Won't turn your D200 into a D3/D700, and your tastes my differ, but for me LR added a usable stop to the camera. Resulting noise looks more D300-ish -- less chroma/color noise.

Doug Haag
Regular MemberPosts: 472
Like?
Base ISO
In reply to jinnyc, Jul 26, 2011

I've been shooting with a D-200 for more than 3 years and am confused by the comment that it's "base" ISO is 100. Perhaps there is a difference between "base" and "native". I know that the lowest ISO setting is 100. But I had always believed that the sensor's native ISO (i.e. the level at with there is no artificial electronic adjustment to signal strength -- positive or negative) is 200.

Have I always had a misunderstanding, or are we talking about a semantic difference between the words "base" and "native"?

Al93151
Contributing MemberPosts: 638
Like?
Re: Use Lightroom 3 for NR
In reply to jinnyc, Jul 26, 2011

I now have 2

Bought 1st one as 2nd hand 'bargain' on EBay - much preferred it to D80 so sold D80 & bought a 2nd D200 after months of scouring EBay - doing a spreadsheet of cost shutter count (asked if they did not say)..............

I think you should be able to get a good lowish count 9000

I find up to 400ISO fine - trying for 1-200 always - and had one pic printed A2 - fine
I also print my own up to A3 - Very happy

Battery life seems okay to me - shooting RAW - but I always have a spare in case

Regards,

Al

Cariboou
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?
Re: Use Lightroom 3 for NR
In reply to Al93151, Jul 26, 2011

I think the D200 also today is a good and honest camera, when I bought mine 1 month late came out a D300 I keep mine now is at 25.000 act. and working fine, I keep clean and take care. What I can say... Welcome on the club and have a fun. Oh all mi pictures are take with D200!

Cheers
Cariboou!
--
http://caribooua.zenfolio.com

OldScotch
Contributing MemberPosts: 682
Like?

I was in a similar position shooting film not long ago and went looking for a good deal on a used digital. Prices on the d70 and Canon 20d were lower, but I decided to pony up to the d200 because it was just within reach of my budget and it had a much better feature set than anything else in the price range save for maybe the d1. I paid a little less than $400 for it and it had just over 30,000 shutter actuations. So it was used, but it included the grip and still in great shape. The market might be different where you are but I would expect you could get one with a lens for £450. The 18-70 and 18-105 are both "better than you'd expect" kit lenses that sell for great prices used.

caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,842Gear list
Like?
In reply to OldScotch, Jul 26, 2011

D200 is an excellent choice for not only landscape but portraits, pet, graphic art etc.

It can be used up to 800 iso with decent result. For amature this is the only camera that can do it all very well except BIF (due to slower focus compared to D300) or hi iso above 800. Photo quality is velvety smooth and natural color production.

I don't know about $275~$350 someone posted unless it was near its end cycle and worn. Last time I looked in US Low shutter, very clean should be about $600.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Samsung TL500 Nikon D800E Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-3N +8 more
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?

If you find a good low mileage D200 at a fair price buy quickly, this site had six, a few weeks ago in very good condition circa £400 but I just checked and they are all gone!

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-nikon-digital-slr-cameras/?page=1

I think quite a few were exchanged when the D7000 came out, so you may have to wait for people selling in anticipation of the D400.

I think the D200 would be an excellent camera for your course, and pair it with at least one good prime. On a budget that would probably be a Nifty Fifty and then something wider when you can.

John

Emeraldforest
Regular MemberPosts: 249
Like?
In reply to Cytokine, Jul 26, 2011

Awesome camera. I own two of them. Love it so much I had to buy another one. It is a wonderful camera with very professional ability. The feel of the camera is perfect and the way the buttons and settings are set up are very very well done. I would get a d200 now and in a couple years, you will be able to grab a d300 or 300s for way cheap, because by that time the new camera models will be out and the price of the d300/300s series will crash. The day the new d400(or whatever it will be called) comes out, people will still want a high price for their d300 series cameras. Give it a couple years and those too will be great deals. I also have to disagree with the post about getting a used d200 for $275-$350ish. Maybe broken. Certainly not in mint condition and with low shutter actuations. $450 can get you a d200 in good condition. $550-600 will get you a perfect one. I got a mint d200 with the battery grip with 980 shutter actuations(yes, less than a 1,000) for $625 in January of this year. And I got my second d200 with 1,980 shutter clicks for $500 in March. Both on ebay(which i recommend). Take the time to look and look for low(under 10,000 shutter actuations) and make sure that you can see good photos of the camera. Both of my cameras were from professional landscape photographers(and they were their backup cameras). Avoid at all cost a camera that the person does not know anything about it. Get a camera that you can tell the person has owned it and loved it and ask questions too. I would avoid at all cost buying a camera from a wedding photographer. Good chance they have racked up a ton of shutter clicks. One good looking d200(on the outside) was going for $500 and I asked how many shutter clicks and the guy responded 85,000. I passed on that one. I have had great happiness with the two d200 bodies I own. I love them. They are killer cameras. I shoot landscape and flower portrait/macro photography. The d200 takes beautiful photos. For the price, it is hard to beat. Down the road, the d300 series will also drop but I don't think that will happen now. A couple more years and a few more 'new cameras' and the d300s will also be $500-600 ish. I am willing to wait for the sweet deal on the camera body. Gives you more money to invest in nice glass!!
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/emeraldsprings/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads