Compatibility: fit Old Nikon Lenses

Started Jul 25, 2011 | Discussions
RUcrAZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,178
Like?
Compatibility: fit Old Nikon Lenses
Jul 25, 2011

Hello,
This is a question about Nikkor lens compatibility with old SLRs.

I was told today by a camera technician of long but possibly slightly dated experience that:

The bayonet lens mount of Nikon DSLRs has not changed since the days of SLRs, and that Nikkor lenses of (1970s) Nikon-F vintage will fit and work with modern Nikon DSLRs, except that they can only be used in MANUAL mode, and that focus and f-stops would have to be manually set at their actual final settings before the picture is taken.

If that is so, I would consider buying a Nikon DSLR and using some of my old Nikkor lenses, even on manual mode. (It was my previous understanding that some modifications (machining, cutouts) had to be performed to make them fit.)
NIKKOR-H Auto 1- 3.5 f-28mm
NIKKOR-Q Auto 1- 4 f=200mm
NIKKOR-S Auto 1- 1.4 f-50mm
Zoom-NIKKOR Auto 1- 3.5 f-43-86mm
Comments, information, please?

-- hide signature --

RUcrAZ

kapitancho
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Re: Compatibility: fit Old Nikon Lenses
In reply to RUcrAZ, Jul 25, 2011

That's a true but not completely.

It is correct if you say it about cameras without a built-in AF motor like D5100 or lower. D80/D90 still work only in M but pre-AI lenses cannot be mounted.

Bodies like D7000 and above my use Aperture priority and metering but still cannot use pre-AI lenses.
These pre-AI lenses may still be converted in order to work ok though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Big One
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,381Gear list
Like?
Re: Compatibility: fit Old Nikon Lenses
In reply to RUcrAZ, Jul 25, 2011

RUcrAZ wrote:

Hello,
This is a question about Nikkor lens compatibility with old SLRs.

I was told today by a camera technician of long but possibly slightly dated experience that:

The bayonet lens mount of Nikon DSLRs has not changed since the days of SLRs, and that Nikkor lenses of (1970s) Nikon-F vintage will fit and work with modern Nikon DSLRs, except that they can only be used in MANUAL mode, and that focus and f-stops would have to be manually set at their actual final settings before the picture is taken.

If that is so, I would consider buying a Nikon DSLR and using some of my old Nikkor lenses, even on manual mode. (It was my previous understanding that some modifications (machining, cutouts) had to be performed to make them fit.)
NIKKOR-H Auto 1- 3.5 f-28mm
NIKKOR-Q Auto 1- 4 f=200mm
NIKKOR-S Auto 1- 1.4 f-50mm
Zoom-NIKKOR Auto 1- 3.5 f-43-86mm
Comments, information, please?

Unless I am mistaken, the lenses you list here are pre-AI. This means that D90, D7000, and higher models cannot mount them without potentially damaging the body. If you go for the lower bodies (D5000, D3000, etc) you can mount them without problem, but metering will not work. You should get the focusing dot to confirm focus, though.
--
--Wyatt
http://photos.digitalcave.ca
All images (c) unless otherwise specified, please ask me before editing.

 The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kitacanon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,507Gear list
Like?
Re: Compatibility: fit Old Nikon Lenses
In reply to RUcrAZ, Jul 25, 2011

NIKKOR-H Auto 1- 3.5 f-28mm
NIKKOR-Q Auto 1- 4 f=200mm
NIKKOR-S Auto 1- 1.4 f-50mm
Zoom-NIKKOR Auto 1- 3.5 f-43-86mm
Comments, information, please?

-- hide signature --

RUcrAZ

Focusing with dSLRs are more difficult than with 35mmSLRs....the focusing screen is much more "fine" for AF lenses..."coarser" focusing screens that make the point of focus pop in and out more readily are available from after-market companies...

The 28mm is a nice lens, as is the 200/4 (despite it being thought of as a poor relation to the later AI/AIS version)...the 50/1.4 is only fair @ 1.4 but by F2.8 is much improved...
The 43-86 is nothing to write home about though....

 Kitacanon's gear list:Kitacanon's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 450D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
blickblocks
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Re: Compatibility: fit Old Nikon Lenses
In reply to RUcrAZ, Jul 25, 2011

Are any of those lenses AI converted?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RUcrAZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,178
Like?
Re: Compatibility: fit Old Nikon Lenses
In reply to blickblocks, Jul 26, 2011

These are definitely pre-AI. No, these lenses are as-originally made. I am not familiar enough to know what would entail an AI conversion. If it requires minor machining, the tecnician I mentioned should be able to do it easily.
--
RUcrAZ

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RUcrAZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,178
Like?
Old pre-AI lenses fit and work D5100 ?
In reply to kapitancho, Jul 26, 2011

Your response is very interesting, because I have been contemplating a Nikon D5100 for other reasons....if I could fit and use (although in Manual) these pre-AI lenses on the D5100....!!!
Can that be confirmed, somehow? I do not have access to a D5100 where I'm at.
--
RUcrAZ

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RUcrAZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,178
Like?
Re: Compatibility: fit Old Nikon Lenses
In reply to The Big One, Jul 26, 2011

The Big One wrote:
You should get the focusing dot to confirm focus, though.
Could you please expand on a "focusing dot," I am not familiar with it.
RUcrAZ

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RUcrAZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,178
Like?
Magnification factor in a D5100 body?
In reply to Kitacanon, Jul 26, 2011

Kitacanon wrote:

The 28mm is a nice lens, as is the 200/4 (despite it being thought of as a poor relation to the later AI/AIS version)...the 50/1.4 is only fair @ 1.4 but by F2.8 is much improved...
The 43-86 is nothing to write home about though....

I agree precisely with your assessment of the lenses. Especially the zoom one, was a disappointment - too soft for me. But I also have a 35mm PC-Nikkor, which is a very interesting perspective-control lens, hardly ever used.

Assuming these lenses fit in a D5100 body, what would be the "magnification factor" for them? Say the 200mm would become equivalent to what mm?
--
RUcrAZ

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nelsonal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,456Gear list
Like?
Re: Compatibility: fit Old Nikon Lenses
In reply to RUcrAZ, Jul 26, 2011

The AI mod involves removing the aperture ring material to leave two precise metering tabs one 5 and 2/3 stops from the max apeture, and one to couple with the EE servo (8 o'clock position) at minimum apterture (a quick look at any non-g type lens will show both tabs locations for that lens), and adding a post that is rarely acomplished because only AI cams need it. It's pretty easy. I modded one in about an hour with no tools besides screwdrivers (to get the ring off) and files. If you're careful a dremel could do it more quickly.

I'm not sure how the metering works on the pro cams, but I don't believe any of the tabs are necessary to function on a DSLR.

In addition, you'll almost certainly want a split prism focusing screen, it's tremendously hard to focus via the viewfinder on anything longer than say 100mm and it's hard on shorter lenses than that. Katzeye sells pre-cut ones, for most DSLRs, or you can cut them yourself with the right camera's replacement part (F3 I think).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kelowna
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?
Re: Compatibility: fit Old Nikon Lenses
In reply to RUcrAZ, Jul 26, 2011

RUcrAZ wrote:

The Big One wrote:
You should get the focusing dot to confirm focus, though.
Could you please expand on a "focusing dot," I am not familiar with it.

The Nikon digital SLRs have visual aids within the viewfinder - along the bottom edge - to assist with manual focus. The dot appears when focus is correct; on each side of the dot appear triangles/arrows - one of these will appear if the focus is incorrect, indicating which direction you should rotate the lens barrel to achieve correct focus.

You asked about magnification in another post;

On the Nikon D5100 (or also on the 3100, 7000, 300s and a few others besides the D3 and D700) there is a crop factor of 1.5

This means your 200mm lens will create an image equivalent to a 300mm lens on a 35mm film camera. Your 35mm PC will shoot like a 50mm, your 28mm will no longer be much of a wide angle (an equivalent 42mm).

Your 43-86 zoom will make a fine paper weight..... modern zooms have improved considerably since.

-- hide signature --

Desmond Murray
http://www.KelownaPhotographer.com
I shoot to thrill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul Robertson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,932
Like?
Re: Compatibility: fit Old Nikon Lenses
In reply to Kelowna, Jul 26, 2011

Kelowna wrote:

RUcrAZ wrote:

The Big One wrote:
You should get the focusing dot to confirm focus, though.
Could you please expand on a "focusing dot," I am not familiar with it.

The Nikon digital SLRs have visual aids within the viewfinder - along the bottom edge - to assist with manual focus. The dot appears when focus is correct; on each side of the dot appear triangles/arrows - one of these will appear if the focus is incorrect, indicating which direction you should rotate the lens barrel to achieve correct focus.

On some of the lower-end bodies, you just get the dot, not the directional triangles, and that makes it slightly more difficult to focus (as does mounting a non-Nikon lens where the focus ring rotates in the "wrong" direction when you do have the triangles.)

Paul
http://www.PaulDRobertson.net

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kelowna
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?
Re: Compatibility: fit Old Nikon Lenses
In reply to Paul Robertson, Jul 26, 2011

Paul Robertson wrote:

Kelowna wrote:

RUcrAZ wrote:

The Big One wrote:
You should get the focusing dot to confirm focus, though.
Could you please expand on a "focusing dot," I am not familiar with it.

The Nikon digital SLRs have visual aids within the viewfinder - along the bottom edge - to assist with manual focus. The dot appears when focus is correct; on each side of the dot appear triangles/arrows - one of these will appear if the focus is incorrect, indicating which direction you should rotate the lens barrel to achieve correct focus.

On some of the lower-end bodies, you just get the dot, not the directional triangles, and that makes it slightly more difficult to focus (as does mounting a non-Nikon lens where the focus ring rotates in the "wrong" direction when you do have the triangles.)

Paul
http://www.PaulDRobertson.net

Thanks for the correction Paul. I'm not so familiar with the consumer models...

-- hide signature --

Desmond Murray
http://www.KelownaPhotographer.com
I shoot to thrill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kris in CT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,547Gear list
Like?
Re: Compatibility: fit Old Nikon Lenses
In reply to RUcrAZ, Jul 26, 2011

as far as I know pre-ai will only fit d5100,5000,3100,3000, 60, 40 and 40x... There will be no metering and the camera will show f--. The aperture must be set with the ring.. Other bodies can be damaged by pre-ai lenses... I use this on my d5000

I don't know the age of the dejur 2x tc but it is old. I can only use it with lens with an aperture ring but i noticed an added bonus.. In live view the screen actually shows DOF and changes as you turn the ring..

 Kris in CT's gear list:Kris in CT's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads