Started Jul 25, 2011 | Discussions
odonto
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
good and cheap f1.2 50mm lens
Jul 25, 2011

Hi everyone,
I would like to buy a good 50mm -f1.2 lens for my nex,

As many people suggested on this forum about the quality of canon fd lenses 1.2L, I've looked for them on ebay but it's rather expensive for my budget (550 € to 800€ minimum price)

I've seen someone who uses lens "x-Fujinon ebc 50mm f1.2" and I am rather amazed by the quality here :

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22985

It seems same lens not Fuji but "Porst" but I'm not sure about it :

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Porst-50-1-2-UMC-Fujica-BM-mount-131017-MINT-/370419166924?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item563eb3eecc

Does anyone has experiences about those kind of lenses or other, which one would you suggest me to buy ?

Pierre

neodraig
Regular MemberPosts: 209
Like?
Re: good and cheap f1.2 50mm lens
In reply to odonto, Jul 25, 2011

Salut Pierre,

Do you absolutely need a 1.2 lens?

I think a 1.4 would be much cheaper and you won't see much a difference.

I've got a Super Multi Coated Takumar 50mm 1.4 and it's a really great lens (around a hundred bucks).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
draganflyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,247
Like?
In reply to neodraig, Jul 25, 2011

Agree. 1.2 and "Good and cheap" are tough to use in the same sentence. a 1.2 will almost shoot in the dark; a 1.4 in significantly cheaper, and a 1.8 which is VERY good, can be had new for $150, used for $40-50.

SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,677Gear list
Like?
In reply to draganflyer, Jul 25, 2011

Those Fujinon shots look great. I Googled the lens, though, but was unable to find any source to buy one. I saw 1.3 and 1.5 versions, but not a 1.2. Any idea how much one of them would run?

There was a thread here a few days ago... something like "Which FD lens", where a poster in Germany mentioned some remarkable deals near him on lenses, including some 50mm 1.2's. Maybe if you drop him a note, he'll let you in on his source.

For what it's worth, I paid $60 for my mint condition Canon newFD 50mm 1.4 with a 6 month warranty from a local shop here in Colorado.

-- hide signature --

Nex-5 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
sebboh
Contributing MemberPosts: 559
Like?

i feel like i'm posted a something similar to a similar question many times, but... the canon FL 55mm f/1.2 is one of the cheapest f/1.2 lenses as well as one of the sharpest. you should be able to find one for under $250, maybe around $150 if your patient. having said that i would also recommend a 50/1.4 unless you absolutely need the extra 1/3 of a stop. an f/1.4 lens will give you a considerably smaller package and in most cases be sharper with better bokeh wide open (though the canon FL 55/1.2 is sharper at f/1.4 than any f/1.4 lens i've used). my general use recommendation for f/1.4 would be one of the pentax variety. nice and contrasty wide open with good sharpness and bokeh. many other f/1.4s are better in certain areas, but the pentax is a good all rounder.

some shots with the canon on a NEX:

zHuan
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?

I got a Minolta Rokkor 50 1.2 for around 200 pounds. A friend of mine has got a pre-AI Nikon 50ish 1.2 for a similar price.

hpchan
Contributing MemberPosts: 643Gear list
Like?

I have a fujinon 50mm f1.2, but not mount supply!!
--
hpchan

hpchan's gear list:hpchan's gear list
Samsung NX100
uhoh07
Senior MemberPosts: 1,354Gear list
Like?
The Cheapest
In reply to hpchan, Jul 26, 2011

The cheapest one is the Canon FL 55/1.2 which can be had for 170USD or less, next the nFD 50/1.2 Non-L, both of which are perfectly fine. THe FL will have the better bokeh, but the nFD will be easier to shoot.

uhoh07's gear list:uhoh07's gear list
Leica M9 Sony Alpha 7R
petertan1959
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
Re: The Cheapest
In reply to uhoh07, Jul 26, 2011

i got my canon fl 58mm f1.2 for around $50 several months ago. there are alsways going to be sellers who either do not know the worth of the lens or because they need cash asap and are forced to sell the lens cheap.

the f1.2 that i got came with an old camera that really looked dilapidated hence the seller also thought that the lens was also bad.

it needed a little lubrication and cleaning. i have to admit that the cosmetics is not good but the shots are quite good. and yes, a f1.2 can literally shoot in the dark without any flash and at auto ISO on my nex.

sajah
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
In reply to odonto, Jul 26, 2011

I have four 50mm 1.2 lenses (in buying order):

Canon FD 55 1.2

The cheapest one, came with Canon Pellix body (which has translucent mirror like A55)

It has yellow front element which I don't really mind, very sharp but not so smooth bokeh (IMHO more like 1.4 lens than 1.2). It has 8 aperture blades. Manual focusing is easy and accurate due to long focus throw.

Pentax K 50 1.2

My copy has quite severe fungus which cause dreamy soft effect when used wide open up until around F2.8-F4, I sometimes like the dreamy effect and very soft bokeh, but unfortunately it also easily blow highlight. Keep in mind these two are defect of my lens, good K 50 1.2 shouldn't be like this.
It has 8 aperture blades. Manual focusing is a pleasant, smooth and long throw.

Nikkor 50 1.2

It's my most expensive 1.2 lens. In my quick and not scientific test this lens is not as sharp as the Canon FD 55 1.2 but it has better bokeh. My K 50 1.2 has smoother bokeh but that's because of the fungus. However, perhaps because of the Hoya filter that stucked and can't be removed, my copy is not very flare resistant, the Canon is better, but again the K 50 1.2 with fungus is much worse. The Nikkor won't easily blow highlights but flare is there. Also, when there's many light sources, e.g. night street shots, you can easily get ghostings (again from the filter I suspect). It has 9 blades, smooth bokeh even when not wide open. However, the manual focusing is not so accurate due to short focus throw. Bummer, I don't understand why Nikon design this manual focus lens to have so short focus throw, seem more like focus throw of a AF lens.

Cosina 55 1.2

Cheaper than Nikkor but more expensive than Canon, also quite a bit harder to found. This lens has character due to somewhat more defined ring of OOF (out of focus) highlights compare to other 1.2 and also the OOF highlights most of the time isn't circle but more like cat eyes. Some people compare this character to Leica 50mm 1.0 . It's much better in term of flare resistant compare to the Nikkor.

The lens has 8 aperture blades, and while the focus throw is long my copy is quite stiff.

Before I got my Cosina my favorite was the Nikkor, but its ghostings at night (exactly when you want to utilize it's 1.2 aperture) and its not so accurate MFing, and well the Cosina's unique character made me turn to Cosina almost all the time.

odonto
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
In reply to sebboh, Jul 26, 2011

amazing shots,

I've seen some canon FD llens 55mm 1.2 SSC on ebay for about this price, are they better than FL version? How about radioactivity ?

uhoh07
Like?

odonto wrote:

amazing shots,

I've seen some canon FD llens 55mm 1.2 SSC on ebay for about this price, are they better than FL version? How about radioactivity ?

There are 5 versions of the FD 55/1.2
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/fd/50-85.html

Some extremely rare.

They are heavy as heck, like the FL

The non-L nFD 50/1.2 is only 328 grams and about 200USD with good coatings. Bokeh is also decent. That would be the lens you would shoot the most, I think.

Next to the L version, I would prefer it over all others as a user.

For the mantle, one of those AL versions would be cool

radioactivity: don't sleep with it.

Leica M9 Sony Alpha 7R
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,684Gear list
Like?

odonto wrote:

It seems same lens not Fuji but "Porst" but I'm not sure about it :

I remember this brand from long, long ago: cheap SLRs and lenses sold mainly (only?) through mailorder. I would be really surprised if it is high quality.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
sebboh
Contributing MemberPosts: 559
Like?

the FD 55/1.2 SSC (non aspherical) should be the same basic optical design as the FL 55/1.2 but with newer coatings and cosmetics. the FL 55 is not radioactive, but i think the FL 58 might be. i presume the FD 55/1.2 is also not radioactive. the thoriated lenses aren't really dangerous unless you sleep with it in your underwear or ingest the glass. i also don't find the yellowing objectionable (except it slightly decreases transmission) on my two radioactive lenses (takumar 50/1.4 and rokkor 58/1.2), i actually kind of like the effect on color balance.

odonto wrote:

amazing shots,

petertan1959
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
In reply to sebboh, Jul 28, 2011

a lot of canon fl f1.2 are currently on ebay. no i am not the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190558592831&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#ht_578wt_1139

i would not bid more than $100 for a canon fl f1.2 though.

f1point4
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to odonto, Jul 28, 2011

I have a Rokkor 58mm 1.4 and love it to death.
Here is one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-Auto-Rokkor-PF-1-1-4-f-1-4-58mm-CAMERA-LENS-/110721594578?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item19c78574d2#ht_567wt_1163

They are not hard to find and most people are selling them for cheap.
It uses an MD mount and those are cheap too.

wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,365
Like?
Comparing 1.2 and 1.4 50mm manual primes.
In reply to sebboh, Jul 30, 2011

I have the Canon 1.2 50 FD, the Canon 50mm 1.4 FD and the Mamiya Sekor 1.4 55mm, and have owned the Canon 50 1.4 FL and the Pentax Super Takumar 50mm 1.4. I have done some pretty careful comparison tests using all of these with the Nex.

I can tell you that the Canon 1.2 is much sharper than any of the others at 1.4 and that the 8 curved aperture blades and the lens produce a smoother, creamier, bokeh than any of the others. At about f2.8 the sharpness and contrast are similar and at f4 all are quite indistinguishable for sharpness and contrast, although the bokeh of the 1.2 remains somewhat better.

Of all the manuals, the Canon 1.2 remains the best. I consider the better bokeh to be the biggest advantage, since I find it to be the only real reason for taking off the kit lens. My second favorite after the Canon 1.2 is a tough call. The Mamiya is sharper at 1.4 and 2 than any of the others, but at f4 the Pentax has wonderful pop and the small size and great handling of the Pentax has a lot of appeal. The Mamiya has the second best bokeh. The Canon 1.4 is not as sharp as the Mamiya and the handling is not as nice as the Pentax.

Obviously I have not yet tried the Nikons, Minoltas or Canon L's. Maybe someday, but I am very happy with the Canon FD 1.2, and, to tell the truth, with the kit 18-55 for everyday use.

If people want I can post the test shots for these.

uhoh07
Like?
Re: Comparing 1.2 and 1.4 50mm manual primes.
In reply to wb2trf, Jul 31, 2011

wb2trf wrote:

I have the Canon 1.2 50 FD, the Canon 50mm 1.4 FD and the Mamiya Sekor 1.4 55mm, and have owned the Canon 50 1.4 FL and the Pentax Super Takumar 50mm 1.4. I have done some pretty careful comparison tests using all of these with the Nex.

I can tell you that the Canon 1.2 is much sharper than any of the others at 1.4 and that the 8 curved aperture blades and the lens produce a smoother, creamier, bokeh than any of the others. At about f2.8 the sharpness and contrast are similar and at f4 all are quite indistinguishable for sharpness and contrast, although the bokeh of the 1.2 remains somewhat better.

Of all the manuals, the Canon 1.2 remains the best. I consider the better bokeh to be the biggest advantage, since I find it to be the only real reason for taking off the kit lens. My second favorite after the Canon 1.2 is a tough call. The Mamiya is sharper at 1.4 and 2 than any of the others, but at f4 the Pentax has wonderful pop and the small size and great handling of the Pentax has a lot of appeal. The Mamiya has the second best bokeh. The Canon 1.4 is not as sharp as the Mamiya and the handling is not as nice as the Pentax.

Obviously I have not yet tried the Nikons, Minoltas or Canon L's. Maybe someday, but I am very happy with the Canon FD 1.2, and, to tell the truth, with the kit 18-55 for everyday use.

Which canon 50/1.2?

Leica M9 Sony Alpha 7R
Poweruser
Regular MemberPosts: 402Gear list
Like?
Konica Hexanon 57mm 1.2
In reply to odonto, Jul 31, 2011

Can be found cheap when you´re lucky. Excellent lens. It also has a sister lens at 1.4 speed which is a bargain in comparison.

Jonas B
Forum ProPosts: 14,596
Like?
Re: Comparing 1.2 and 1.4 50mm manual primes.
In reply to uhoh07, Aug 1, 2011

uhoh07 wrote:

wb2trf wrote:

Which canon 50/1.2?

That must be, or so I guess, the Canon FDn 50/1.2. I tried a not broken copy of the FDn 50/1.2L and it certainly wasn't sharper than my FDn 50/1.4.

regards,

Jonas

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads