View NX 2 - blurry full screen images

Started Jul 24, 2011 | Discussions
v_
v_
Senior MemberPosts: 1,915Gear list
Like?
View NX 2 - blurry full screen images
Jul 24, 2011

I just installed Nikon View NX 2.1.2 on a new laptop. The thumbs look fine, but as soon as I double click an image it opens in full screen mode and the image is blurry. I have tried to wait, I thought maybe it takes time to load the full res image, but nothing changed. The only way I got View NX 2 to display an image sharp is when I click on the image while full screen mode, so it views it in 100% than when I release the mouse click the full screen image turns sharp.

Drives me nuts! I have tried clearing cache from the option, but that did not help.

HP Laptop parameters
XP
4GB RAM (XP only uses 3)
Intel i3 M 380 @ 2.53GHz
onboard Intel HD (32MB - 1024MB)

Any ideas what can be wrong? I have posted the same thing over at Nikon Talk, but did not get any useful answers.

Ps: I am having the problems with JPG files.

-- hide signature --

Viktor
'Happy shooting!'

v_'s gear list:v_'s gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
Vic Chapman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,233Gear list
Like?
Re: View NX 2 - blurry full screen images
In reply to v_, Jul 24, 2011

That is pretty standard. An image is only fully sharp when seen at the size at which it was sharpened. At the top of the full screen you can use the slider to show at screen size or full size or 50% etc. My web pictures are sized at just a little larger than that shown by Viex NX at full screen and they look slightly soft. When I move the slider to 100% they are fully sharp, even though the image size is increased by only 5% - 10%.
--
When all else fails - read the instructions.

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,838
Like?
My images stay sharp at any size....

both RAW and JPG.

Load an image at say 33%, then pull the corner slightly to make it larger, do this for slightly larger different sizes. If there is apoint where the sharpness just pops into place then it most likely is that the size is just not correct for the native resolution of the screen.

I see this with photoshop, if I use the magnifying glass (resize) tool, hold down the mouse button and drag the mouse to increase/decrease the image size and let go, the image is blurry, if I just click on the image with the mouse to change the size (set sizes) it stays sharp.

I also have a TV tuner card installed and if I drag my window size to a wrong size it is very blurry, just a little smaller or larger makes it pop into the correct resolution with sharpness.

Hope this helps ..........

Bob P.

v_
v_
Like?
Re: My images stay sharp at any size....
In reply to Petruska, Jul 24, 2011

Petruska wrote:

Load an image at say 33%,

In Nikon View NX2????? How? In that software there is only thumbnail voew and full screen view. In the full sctreen view you can set other magnification on the upper right corner, but you surely can't pull the corner of the window.

I never experienced any problems on my desktop pc's, but on this laptop I got blurred images.

-- hide signature --

Viktor
'Happy shooting!'

Nikon D2X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
v_
v_
Like?
In reply to Vic Chapman, Jul 24, 2011

Well, this maybe standard for you, but I have never noticed anything on any of my desktop pc's using View NX 2. This is the first time I noticed this. Makes me look for some other viewer. I would hate to switch since I love the marking/tagging functions.

-- hide signature --

Viktor
'Happy shooting!'

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,076Gear list
Like?
Re: My images stay sharp at any size....
In reply to Petruska, Jul 24, 2011

Mine are sharp also, at any magnification. ViewNX and ViewNX2.

CaptureNX2 is a little different. It takes a second for edits to kick in and display a sharp image.

-- hide signature --
 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
macfred
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?

Are you shooting RAW? On my View NX2, I have to click on the [RAW] button in the upper left hand part of the screen to make my full screen images look sharp. It takes a couple of seconds for the image to be updated. I presume it is using the sharpness setting in the raw image to update.
--
WSSA #318

ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,971
Like?
In reply to macfred, Jul 24, 2011

macfred wrote:

Are you shooting RAW? On my View NX2, I have to click on the [RAW] button in the upper left hand part of the screen to make my full screen images look sharp. It takes a couple of seconds for the image to be updated. I presume it is using the sharpness setting in the raw image to update.

Mine works the same way.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #318

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

v_
v_
Like?
In reply to macfred, Jul 24, 2011

I can make my NEFs sharp hitting that [RAW] button too, but I'm having problems with the JPGs.

-- hide signature --

Viktor
'Happy shooting!'

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,838
Like?
My error...talking about Capture NX2.

but I also have zero sharpness problems with View NX2.

Bob P.

gmosc
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,950
Like?
In reply to v_, Jul 25, 2011

It sounds like a problem and I don't deny that you are seeing what you are seeing. I hope you figure it out.

By the way, I had/have an xp machine with 4 gig loaded (In anticipation for WIN7) and when I taxed the system the whole thing crashed. I solved that problem by going down to 2 gigs memory. Having the 4 installed did something strange. Is the HP smart enough to simply ignore the extra unused gig? That's what I was hoping for at the time but it turned out not to be the case on that computer I put together.

Guy Moscoso

RaptorUK
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,266Gear list
Like?
In reply to v_, Jul 25, 2011

Did you shoot Raw + JPG or just Raw ? maybe you are looking at the Raw preview JPG ?

v_ wrote:

I can make my NEFs sharp hitting that [RAW] button too, but I'm having problems with the JPGs.

-- hide signature --

Viktor
'Happy shooting!'

-- hide signature --

Take a look at my album . . . http://www.F1Album.com

RaptorUK's gear list:RaptorUK's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +7 more
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,076Gear list
Like?
In reply to gmosc, Jul 25, 2011

That sounds like bad or mismatched RAM to me.

-- hide signature --
 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
v_
v_
Like?
In reply to RaptorUK, Jul 26, 2011

No, I am viewing folder that contains only JPG files.

-- hide signature --

Viktor
'Happy shooting!'

v_
v_
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Jul 26, 2011

I'll try to remove one of the two 2gig RAMs and see what happens.
So far the best idea! Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Viktor
'Happy shooting!'

jonasp
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to v_, Sep 21, 2012

Hi,

I made a little search and end up to this topic. There seems to be another similar topics also. I have exactly the same problem with jpegs than the starter of this discussion. I wonder if v_ have find solution but I haven't. A new laptop and images displays soft on view NX2, newest version. And when I look at them 1:1 and then back to normal view they seem normal sharp.

Very weird problem and what makes that even funnier, seems that this is probably happening just a specific spec's pc's. This is maybe the reason why this is quite unusual but have to say that very annoying.

There are so less discussion about that problem so it have to be pc's hardware thing. If it is, maybe I have to look at another laptop.

I might ask about this thing from Nikon as well if there would be an update which solved this problem. Have anyone else had this images display soft -thing?

v_ wrote:

I just installed Nikon View NX 2.1.2 on a new laptop. The thumbs look fine, but as soon as I double click an image it opens in full screen mode and the image is blurry. I have tried to wait, I thought maybe it takes time to load the full res image, but nothing changed. The only way I got View NX 2 to display an image sharp is when I click on the image while full screen mode, so it views it in 100% than when I release the mouse click the full screen image turns sharp.

Drives me nuts! I have tried clearing cache from the option, but that did not help.

HP Laptop parameters
XP
4GB RAM (XP only uses 3)
Intel i3 M 380 @ 2.53GHz
onboard Intel HD (32MB - 1024MB)

Any ideas what can be wrong? I have posted the same thing over at Nikon Talk, but did not get any useful answers.

Ps: I am having the problems with JPG files.

SRFast
Regular MemberPosts: 426Gear list
Like?
In reply to jonasp, Sep 22, 2012

Update your VNX2. The latest version is 2.5.1

Get it here: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61#Anchor-1

-- hide signature --

42+ Years of Nikon Ownership
http://www.jliu.net

SRFast's gear list:SRFast's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D2H Nikon D3S Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
v_
v_
Like?
In reply to jonasp, Sep 30, 2012

Hi Jonas,

My viewer problem got solved. I still don't know what was causing the blur, but upgraded my laptop from XP (32) to Win7 (64) and kept updating Nikon View NX2 to the latest.
Images look great now!
Sorry, that I can not give better advice.

-- hide signature --

Viktor
'Happy shooting!' http://www.viktornyakas.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads