I love my M9!

Started Jul 22, 2011 | Discussions
Priaptor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,996Gear list
Like?
I love my M9!
Jul 22, 2011

I have to say that since I got rid of my Canon 1DsMKIII, multiple normal and wide angel lenses and purchased the M9 and Summilux 50mm, I have been having a ball. I am really starting to enjoy photography again. Believe it or not, I love focusing, I love thinking about exposure settings, I love the minimalist appeal and I absolutely love that Summilux.

I by no means am putting down Canon or other SLRs and in fact, still have a MKIV for wildlife.

louster1950
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Re: I love my M9!
In reply to Priaptor, Jul 22, 2011

Based on this nice picture, you're having good luck with it too. It is very liberating to dump all the heavy gear and concentrate on image content.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DigitalPowerShot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,259Gear list
Like?

I am going the same route: sold all my Canon gear (L-lenses), still have to sell my 1DMKII, but soon I will have it also sold.

Ordered already my Summilux 50mm f/1,4 and the M9. I'm going all Leica now.

DigitalPowerShot's gear list:DigitalPowerShot's gear list
Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica M9-P
DigitalPowerShot
Like?

Great picture btw!

RossFun
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?
In reply to Priaptor, Jul 23, 2011

Great picture.

I did exactly the same as you one year ago and am still amazed at the images I am getting now and the feeling of liberation from all the gear.

Over the year I have found myself loving the Summilux 50mm F1.4 ASPH the most but close behind would be the Summicron 35mm f2 ASPH
Ross

louster1950
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
In reply to DigitalPowerShot, Jul 23, 2011

DigitalPowerShot wrote:

I am going the same route: sold all my Canon gear (L-lenses), still have to sell my 1DMKII, but soon I will have it also sold.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but where did you find a 50mm Summilux? I check B&H every day, oh hell, make that 10-20 times a day, and always out of stock.

Now, back to regularly scheduled programming.

David28
Senior MemberPosts: 2,685
Like?
In reply to Priaptor, Jul 23, 2011

Welcome to the Leica RF world. I made a similar transition a few years ago and after some initial frustrations with my own shortcomings at learning the new interface, the RF experience has been a wonderfully liberating and fun addition to SLR shooting. I am sure your experience will not be dissimilar.

And as it is with SLRs, seeing the picture in my mind first before I depress that shutter remains a key ingredient to captivating photography - an endeavor I remain today an ardent student. RF somehow lends itself better to this pursuit IMO. Funny enough, it was not a view I held when I used only SLRs.

Couple of comments on the image you posted if you will permit.

The visage is beautiful there is no doubt, though your inclusion of the tree on the right is totally distracting from the viewer enjoying the vista. What you saw standing there and what the captured image conveys can be rather different. Perhaps an alternative composition or perpective would have lent itself to an improved outcome.

I also found the WB a tad on the cool side with all that sky and water - naturally so. A personal preference I understand.

Again, welcome to the forum and I look forward to more images from you.

David

Priaptor wrote:

I have to say that since I got rid of my Canon 1DsMKIII, multiple normal and wide angel lenses and purchased the M9 and Summilux 50mm, I have been having a ball. I am really starting to enjoy photography again. Believe it or not, I love focusing, I love thinking about exposure settings, I love the minimalist appeal and I absolutely love that Summilux.

I by no means am putting down Canon or other SLRs and in fact, still have a MKIV for wildlife.

DigitalPowerShot
Like?
In reply to louster1950, Jul 23, 2011

louster1950 wrote:

DigitalPowerShot wrote:

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but where did you find a 50mm Summilux? I check B&H every day, oh hell, make that 10-20 times a day, and always out of stock.

Now, back to regularly scheduled programming.

I have ordered mine (waiting time 4m) in Vienna/Austria at my local Leica shop.

Mahesh
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,803Gear list
Like?
In reply to Priaptor, Jul 24, 2011

Please let me also welcome you to the forum. I'm relatively new as well and totally new to range finders. However, I'm not new to landscape photography. I have an M9-P myself and agree with you about getting back to the basics. However, I have not completely let go of DSLR's.

I concur with David's assessment above about the white balance. The images does look a little on the cyan side and a touch of warmth may help. As far as the composition, the foliage on the right doesn't really bother me. I think it provides a nice mid-ground element for the eyes.

-- hide signature --

Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap, but memories are priceless.

Mahesh

http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com

Par71
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
In reply to Mahesh, Jul 24, 2011

Well said, Mahesh! You are so smart and thoughtful!... Keep posting your comments; we can never get tired of you!... LOL!

Priaptor
Like?
In reply to louster1950, Jul 24, 2011

Just place yourself on a waiting list and eventually it will come.

Tamarkin is very good. I got my silver one there pretty quick. I have been buying from them for years and they are great. In fact, when it comes time to trade up, they are very good and usually get stock pretty quickly.

They also have, in stock, hard to find accessories.

Priaptor
Like?
In reply to David28, Jul 24, 2011

I appreciate the comments and agree. I did just a little, not much, post processing as I was in my home in MT. I am not new to RF and always used to shoot with Leica M series during my film days, but gave it up when digital came out and never quite enjoyed myself the way I did during my film days.

With the M9 I said, what the heck. I kind of stopped enjoying myself, with the exception of wildlife, with digital SLR and this is the first time out to MT where I shot with the M9. I have to say, I am amazed by the output compared to similar pictures taken with my now sold Canon.

I really really love this camera and really, really love the lens. I forgot just how much fun photography can be. I have some great pictures of Glacier I will be posting.

Thanks again for the comments and recommendations.

Another great aspect of Leica are the people and helpful comments.

DigitalPowerShot
Like?
In reply to DigitalPowerShot, Aug 12, 2011

Got my Leica Summilux M 50mm f/1,4 ASPH today WOW

Compared to Canon's 85mm f/1,2 L USM I have already sold, this 50mm lens is a beauty and soooooo small in comparison... I'm loving it!

miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,809
Like?
Louie: great portfolio!
In reply to louster1950, Aug 13, 2011

Did you use Leica equipment for it?
What did you use?

ePan
Contributing MemberPosts: 527Gear list
Like?
In reply to Priaptor, Aug 18, 2011

Considering going that same route. Sold my 5D and three L lenses, and am still quite a ways off from affording an M9 with just one lens. Seriously considering the 50 Summilux or 28 Elmarit. Made the mistake of thinking the Fuji X100 would do, but ended up sending that one back. Then went to a Leica Akademie class and was hooked. Still, it's a big investment.
Just wondering... any regrets? Anything you miss about the DSLR experience.
Thanks in advance.
--

• Eric

ePan's gear list:ePan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
DigitalPowerShot
Like?
In reply to ePan, Aug 18, 2011

Eric,

It depends what you are shooting most: portraits or landscapes? I knew from the start, the 50mm Summilux ASPH will be what I need. I am still amazed about the quality of the lens and camera. In a few years I will buy an Elmarit 28mm (the "cheapest" Leica).

Coming from Canon 1DMkII + L glass, it is a little bit unusual to focus manually. It is not that kind of spray and pray shooting either. You will learn to think before you even point your camera.

Another point: Going out with the Leica M9 and Summilux around your neck, nobody looks at you. I'm feeling relaxed. With the Canon 1DMkII and L-glass you are like a magnet...everybody looks at you. Maybe some will find it cool for their selfestem, but I hated it! ...and the DSLRs are all big and very heavy!

Personally I do not miss the DSLR experience. For me this camera will make me happy for at least 10 years from now, even the M11 is already on the market by then.

Keep saving $$$ and you will not regret it!

Adrian

ePan wrote:

Considering going that same route. Sold my 5D and three L lenses, and am still quite a ways off from affording an M9 with just one lens. Seriously considering the 50 Summilux or 28 Elmarit. Made the mistake of thinking the Fuji X100 would do, but ended up sending that one back. Then went to a Leica Akademie class and was hooked. Still, it's a big investment.
Just wondering... any regrets? Anything you miss about the DSLR experience.
Thanks in advance.
--

• Eric

ePan
Like?
In reply to DigitalPowerShot, Aug 18, 2011

I don't shoot landscapes. My photography is almost exclusively shots of my daughters. I used a manual camera before moving to digital, so the focus and think instead of "spray and pray" as you mentioned will be a nice change back to what got me interested in photography in the first place. I'm still a little worried about the 50mm being too long since I've been shooting mostly with a 24mm with my 5D, but even that was a bit of just shoot and crop later mentality. I know I'll eventually get the 28mm Elmarit--I've seen some sample photos from it in this forum and it looks incredible.

I've been on the fence with this switch since the M8 was introduced, but I think I'm finally going to take the plunge. Thought briefly about a possible M10 next year, but I can't imagine what I could miss out on that would be significant.

I'm going to keep saving $$$ for the setup--although it sounds like I may want to order the lens already. I'm planning on the silver version of the 50mm Summilux and I'm reading about unbelievable wait lists.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
--

• Eric

DigitalPowerShot
Like?
In reply to ePan, Aug 19, 2011

Eric,

I don't think we will see the M10 any time soon, since Leica is trying to keep up with the demand and the M9 is everything every M-film-user ever wanted.

Next year at Photokina, they will announce something between the Leica X1 and Leica M9.

If you are used to wide-angel-lenses, go for the Elmarit 28mm f/2,8 ASPH first + M9 (this will spare your bank account) ....although the Summilux ASPH is a great piece of glass, but will cost you much more...

Adrian

ePan wrote:

I don't shoot landscapes. My photography is almost exclusively shots of my daughters. I used a manual camera before moving to digital, so the focus and think instead of "spray and pray" as you mentioned will be a nice change back to what got me interested in photography in the first place. I'm still a little worried about the 50mm being too long since I've been shooting mostly with a 24mm with my 5D, but even that was a bit of just shoot and crop later mentality. I know I'll eventually get the 28mm Elmarit--I've seen some sample photos from it in this forum and it looks incredible.

I've been on the fence with this switch since the M8 was introduced, but I think I'm finally going to take the plunge. Thought briefly about a possible M10 next year, but I can't imagine what I could miss out on that would be significant.

I'm going to keep saving $$$ for the setup--although it sounds like I may want to order the lens already. I'm planning on the silver version of the 50mm Summilux and I'm reading about unbelievable wait lists.
--

• Eric

ePan
Like?
In reply to DigitalPowerShot, Aug 19, 2011

DigitalPowerShot wrote:
Eric,

I don't think we will see the M10 any time soon, since Leica is trying to keep up with the demand and the M9 is everything every M-film-user ever wanted.

Next year at Photokina, they will announce something between the Leica X1 and Leica M9.

If you are used to wide-angel-lenses, go for the Elmarit 28mm f/2,8 ASPH first + M9 (this will spare your bank account) ....although the Summilux ASPH is a great piece of glass, but will cost you much more...

Adrian

ePan wrote:

--

• Eric

I'm used to the wide angle on my Canon 24mm, but I'm more used to its f/1.4 speed. The Leica version of 24mm 1.4 is quite out of my range, and even their 28mm 2 is more $$$ than the 50mm Summilux. That said, 28mm Elmarit seems to also benefit from better availability. The 50 seems like such a magical lens though. The 35mm range also has some great choices. Ahh... so many choices, so little availability. That may end up being the deciding factor.
--

• Eric

ePan
Like?
In reply to DigitalPowerShot, Aug 19, 2011

DigitalPowerShot wrote:

Eric,

ps) my sense from what I read in interview with Andreas Kaufman was that the mirror less in-between camera would be introduced at Photokina 2011, and the M10 at Photokina 2012.
--

• Eric

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads