Epson V600 vs V700 vs ? - scan 35mm (mounted) slides

Started Jul 22, 2011 | Discussions
Kenneth Sloan
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?
Epson V600 vs V700 vs ? - scan 35mm (mounted) slides
Jul 22, 2011

I'm looking for personal experiences with these two scanners (V600 vs V700).

For use connected to a Mac Book Pro (2010 mid year, 17"). Or perhaps an iMac.

My main requirement is to scan a large number of very old slides. While the slides have been moderately well cared for, they are certainly not in "perfect" condition.

I have other uses for the scanner - but the critical application that drives the decision is 35mm slide scanning. The "other uses" could probably justify the full price of the V600) - but not the V700.

I have read the specs, and most of the articles posted here - no need to repeat them.

I understand the price difference - the V700 is within my budget (a Nikon slide scanner is not). Of course, I'll be pleased if someone were to tell me that the differences between these two are negligible - but I suspect the difference in DMax may be crucial (3.4 vs 4.0). The slides are mostly in the category of "family history", and already degraded somewhat by time.

A long time ago, I popped for the (at the time, not-cheap, HP S20 scanner. It served me well, but it's PC only and very long in the tooth. I have decided it must go (anyone want it?) I know how to use a slide dup setup to copy the slides using my DSLR - been there, done that, have the torn t-shirt. That won't work for me.

Besides the difference in DMax, the V700 will do 12 at a time, while the V600 will only do 4 at a time. Will that really help if I am picky about framing? (that is - is there an auto-crop "feature" that I will be fighting with). If I am tweaking at the keyboard while the next batch are scanning - am I likely to be limited by my tweaking or the scanning (and is it different for 4 vs 12?) [I know - it depends on how picky I am - but if you have done this please try to estimate]. I prefer to be in "scan only" mode for awhile - and then tweak the entire batch later. I will have no trouble finding other tasks to work on while the scanner is grinding away (although...is is possible to purchase an extra "carrier" so that I can keep the scanner busy?)

and finally, is there a RELIABLE (first line manufacturer) slide scanner in roughly the same market position (price competitive with the V700) as the old HP S20 that I have somehow missed? I can deal with manual feed - but auto feed would be a HUGE plus, if AND ONLY IF the quality is acceptable. I'm not interested in Brookstone quality toys.

Assume that all the scans will eventually go through Adobe Lightroom, at some stage.

If there are special work flow issues (that are different for the V600 and V700), that would be good to know, too.

My current bias is to get the V700 - I guess I'm asking for someone to convince me that the V600 will work just as well. I'm also guessing that the V750 doesn't offer enough of an advantage to justify the price unless I open a slide-scanning business and operate it 6 hours a day, 5 days a week (in which case, I buy the Nikon, no?)

I recognize that there are a lot of questions here - feel free to respond to a subset.

I also recognize that there are many reasonable approaches that I have already considered and ruled out. I hope I have made it clear what I have already decided and what I need help on. If you are still reading - thank you.

-- hide signature --

-Kenneth Sloan

JEPH
Contributing MemberPosts: 780
Like?
Re: Epson V600 vs V700 vs ? - scan 35mm (mounted) slides
In reply to Kenneth Sloan, Jul 23, 2011

Kenneth Sloan wrote:

I'm looking for personal experiences with these two scanners (V600 vs V700).

For use connected to a Mac Book Pro (2010 mid year, 17"). Or perhaps an iMac.

My main requirement is to scan a large number of very old slides. While the slides have been moderately well cared for, they are certainly not in "perfect" condition.

I have other uses for the scanner - but the critical application that drives the decision is 35mm slide scanning. The "other uses" could probably justify the full price of the V600) - but not the V700.

OK-first: you say "a large number.........."

If you have had experience scanning large numbers of slides-and I have-this difference is huge! I know it doesn't sound like such a big deal-but it is! It really is! You absolutely should not underestimate this. (Have I stressed that adequately? You will thank yourself sincerely after about 45 minutes of work.)

Slide scanning is detailed and time consuming work.

As for the rest-Epson has a long history (perhaps the longest of flatbeds) at producing highest quality bed scanners.

And as importantly-they have certainly had the longest history of producing software that works to run the things.

Finally-you will give yourself a real education if you go to this site:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/

This site is run by Vincent Oliver-a sometime contributor to DPR. Dig deep and look at all of the scanner reviews-even the old ones. You will receive a real education is slide scanning. And look at the carefully controlled comparison scans done on "real" slide scanners and some drum scanned. It's not organized in a way that makes it easy to find this stuff immediately-you have to dig here and there. But also take a look at the forums on that site relevant to the reviews-they are interactive. This is time very well spent, and will pay for itself many times over.

Also, the site communicates very clearly the pro's and cons of OEM software. It doesn't matter that that information is a little old-the point is understanding how to think about the software. (The site looks at third party scanner software too.)

One thing I would take issue with: Vincent's experience with VueScan software was a bad one-at least with respect to slide scanning. But just know that many others have had very different experiences.

Nevertheless-an education in slide scanning parameters that can't be beat.

Better to turn off the ICE, I think..............

And you'll probably want to manually crop all of your slides on the bed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kenneth Sloan
Like?
In reply to JEPH, Jul 23, 2011

All useful (actually, I had already read most of it). It still seems to leave the question of V600 vs V700 teetering.

Issues:

the V700 will do 12 at a time, but note that quality drops off (just a bit) for those slide relegated to the corners).

The V600 is aimed a bit lower...but it's also newer technology.

Reported image quality difference is small - but price difference is BIG.

The main objective measure that jumps off the specification page is DMax (3.4 vs. 4.0). How much do I really care about this difference [for old 35mm Ektachrome?]

I'm coming to the conclusion that the V700 might matter more to people scanning medium-format film. For my (time degraded) 35mm slides, the differences between the v600 and the v700 are starting to look minimal.

So...I think I'm leaning back towards the v600.

Am I wrong?

One clue - v700's are available for delivery today. For some reason, the V600's have become relatively scarce. This tells me that the marketplace might be speaking here. On the other hand....it might mean that there is a V650 about to be announced...

Oh well - I'm about to be doing some travelling, so I don't need to decide NOW. And, there's this new camera (also "about to be available") that might suck up this month's discretionary spending budget.

So - plenty of time to educate me. For those who have used one of both of these - if you had to buy one of these two scanners today, which one would you buy, and why?

-- hide signature --

-Kenneth Sloan

markkuk
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kenneth Sloan, Jul 23, 2011

Kenneth Sloan wrote:

Reported image quality difference is small - but price difference is BIG.

The filmscanner.info site has tested both V600 and V700 and according to them V700 has about 50% better linear resolution. That's not exactly a small difference.

http://www.filmscanner.info/en/EpsonPerfectionV600Photo.html
http://www.filmscanner.info/en/EpsonPerfectionV700Photo.html

markkuk's gear list:markkuk's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
daMatrix
Contributing MemberPosts: 736
Like?
In reply to markkuk, Jul 23, 2011

That site also mentions the time it takes to scan a slide.

From my experience using a camera to digitize is a faster workflow.

JEPH
Like?
In reply to daMatrix, Jul 24, 2011

OK, I won't hold back any longer for the OP.

The 700 is a no brainer for the OP's stated use and desires. The increase in cost is well, well, worth it.

I think if the OP had actually done a LOT of slide scanning this decision would not be as close as he thinks it seems to be.

I encourage the OP to realize that he has done the reading and not so much the scanning. Reading only gets you part way there.

But that's my opinion.

Happy scanning to everyone-on whatever scanner is being used.

Kenneth Sloan
Like?
In reply to JEPH, Jul 24, 2011

Thanks for the clear opinion. The good news is that my requirements just widened a bit, making it more obvious that I can justify the V700. So, that's the decision.

As for my scanning experience...I'll just say that the very first time I held a 35mm slide in my hand and wanted a digital copy of it was in 1974. Granted - it's not my current job description, but I'm not a complete newbie.

But again - thank you very much for a clearly stated opinion. That's what I asked for, and I appreciate it.

-- hide signature --

-Kenneth Sloan

thomo
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?
What about a slide copier & DSLR
In reply to Kenneth Sloan, Jul 24, 2011

Sorry but I can't advise the benefits over the V600 but I just completed scanning a dozen rolls of 35mm film in order to make a photobook. Even though I cranked the resolution down and made the final target print only 5x7" (approx), it took about 2 weeks of evenings to scan them on the V700. Each 'batch' of 4 film strips took just over 30 minutes to scan plus about 5-10 minutes to edit and correct the previews in the Epson software prior to scanning.

An alternative would be to use a full frame DSLR such as a D700 with a slide copier attachment. The setup I use for copying slides takes about 15-20 seconds per slide!

A friend has compared the results to an early model Nikon scanner and there's not much in it apart from auto dust removal. with a copy attachment you just have to blow each slide with a blower (which you have to do with the V700 anyway).

I use a Nikon PB-6 bellows, 55mm Micro-Nikkor and PS-6 slide copy attachment. I also use two SB-200 iTTL flashes behind the diffuser.

Here is an example of a really high DR Kodachrome 64 copy.

thomo's gear list:thomo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Df +10 more
Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,391Gear list
Like?

Unfortunately, not many film-dedicated scanners are made anymore. If I needed to scan LOTS of 35mm slides and had the resources, I would buy a tabloid sized scanner with PROFESSIONAL OPTICS. With the right software, this would batch scan well. Occasionally, the old SCSI versions of the scanner below will appear on eBay. Watch for the transparency adapter.

http://umax.com/scanners/index.jsp?cate=Scanners%3A+Professional+models&skunum=IPDV-31183

Greenville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,069Gear list
Like?
Epson V700 is the way to go

I don't have a V700, I do a have a V600 and I really like the scanner for scanning prints, OCR and MF negatives. I do not like it much for 35mm slides or negatives. I also have a Nikon V ED and have tested an Epson V500 and V600 against the Nikon. If I had not compared the scanners I might have been satisfied with the Epsons, but side by side their is no comparison.

I have read a lot of information about the V700 and yes it is older than the V600, it still is a better scanner. I would also recommend starting with the Epson software and they if not satisfied do a trial of Vuescan. I have used both, but us the Epson software with the scanners and like the results. I also find ICE really useful when scanning slides.

Good hunting for a scanner.

Greenville's gear list:Greenville's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Samsung NX300 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +16 more
tpg77
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?
Re: Epson V700 is the way to go
In reply to Greenville, Jul 24, 2011

BTW, you might want to take a look at the Canon 9000F flat bed scanner which gets high marks by David Brooks (Shutterbug Mag.). Also, the new Plustek Optic Film 7600 SE scanner is well thought of. I don't envy your job as I've done a little film scanning and it requires a lot of time and even more patience. Good luck.

tpg77
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?
Re: Epson V700 is the way to go
In reply to tpg77, Jul 24, 2011

Also, if I had more than "a few" slides to copy I'd forget the scanner and use thomo's method of copying with camera. Much faster and if properly done will get you equal quality.

Kenneth Sloan
Like?
In reply to Kenneth Sloan, Jul 27, 2011

V700 - will order while I'm out of town so it's here waiting for me on my return.

-- hide signature --

-Kenneth Sloan

JEPH
Like?
Re: What about a slide copier & DSLR
In reply to thomo, Jul 28, 2011

thomo wrote:

I use a Nikon PB-6 bellows, 55mm Micro-Nikkor and PS-6 slide copy attachment. I also use two SB-200 iTTL flashes behind the diffuser.

If you're still reading, I'd be interested in the details of how you position the flashes relative to the camera. And if you'd volunteer typical exposure information, that would be interesting as well.

It may seem an obvious choice, but you're the first one I've heard from who has used speedlights (or stobes).

Others have shot into Ott sorts of lights, or at windows, walls, etc.

JEPH
Like?
In reply to Kenneth Sloan, Jul 28, 2011

Kenneth Sloan wrote:

V700 - will order while I'm out of town so it's here waiting for me on my return.

It's a great and proven piece of gear for commercial and domestic use.

Please let us know how you get on with things-either way.

Here's wishing you good luck and enjoyment!

Kenneth Sloan
Like?
In reply to Kenneth Sloan, Aug 9, 2011

OK - Epson V700 arrived today. After some glitches (as in...can't install using the supplied DVD), I have it running on my office iMac (running 10.6.8 SnowLeopard).

It scans directly to "Image Capture" - which has a moderate amount of controls.

Question: do I really need SilverFast?

SilverFast and Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 came packaged with the scanner.

I'm installing SilverFast now, and then will move on to Adobe PE9.

Recalling that my main task is to scan notebooks and notebooks full of ancient 35mm mounted slides (mostly Ektachrome) - can someone point me at a tutorial that will allow me to establish the most efficient workflow? Simple things like: which scanning software should I actually use, what should I do while scanning and what should I leave for post-processing.

And...does anyone know how to turn OFF "detect separate items" in ImageCapture? It's almost never what I want to do (although perhaps I do want it for an array of slides.

Assume that I want fairly vanilla scans that I will eventually process in Adobe Lightroom at some point.
--
-Kenneth Sloan

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,929Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kenneth Sloan, Aug 10, 2011

Kenneth Sloan wrote:

OK - Epson V700 arrived today. After some glitches (as in...can't install using the supplied DVD), I have it running on my office iMac (running 10.6.8 SnowLeopard).

It scans directly to "Image Capture" - which has a moderate amount of controls.

Question: do I really need SilverFast?

Silverfast might have "profiles" that aid in what you are scanning such as slides (E-6, kodachrome [though I think I used the software once and the kodachrome profile was useless] and may have a bunch of different profiles for types/brands of negative film.

SilverFast and Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 came packaged with the scanner.

I'm installing SilverFast now, and then will move on to Adobe PE9.

Recalling that my main task is to scan notebooks and notebooks full of ancient 35mm mounted slides (mostly Ektachrome) - can someone point me at a tutorial that will allow me to establish the most efficient workflow? Simple things like: which scanning software should I actually use, what should I do while scanning and what should I leave for post-processing.

And...does anyone know how to turn OFF "detect separate items" in ImageCapture? It's almost never what I want to do (although perhaps I do want it for an array of slides.

Assume that I want fairly vanilla scans that I will eventually process in Adobe Lightroom at some point.
--
-Kenneth Sloan

Kenneth Sloan
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Aug 10, 2011

So....you are predicting that I'll end up using "Image Capture"? Or, do you have another recommendation (iMac/SnowLeopard)
--
-Kenneth Sloan

Kenneth Sloan
Like?
In reply to Kenneth Sloan, Aug 11, 2011

hacked my way through the SilverFast interface, and the 35mm slide holder.
Scanned some printe (no surprises there) and a page of slides. All systems go!

Still one more orientation convention to work out (perhaps two...). right now I'm scanning historical slides that don't call for fine tuning, and they look just fine.
I'm scanning these at 6400 dpi and straight to JPEG.

Adobe PE9 didn't like my networked file system, so my loyal staff is working on

those pesky details. For now, SilverFast + Preview does everything I need - but that will change.

VERY glad I popped for the V700. Once I smooth out the protocol I should be able to keep the scanner busy with minimal interruption of my other work.

Next...more disk storage to hold all this (and back it up!)

-- hide signature --

-Kenneth Sloan

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,929Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kenneth Sloan, Aug 11, 2011

Kenneth Sloan wrote:

So....you are predicting that I'll end up using "Image Capture"? Or, do you have another recommendation (iMac/SnowLeopard)

What is Image Capture ?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads