Suitable Telephoto + NEX-5 Supports?

Started Jul 17, 2011 | Discussions
npires
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112Gear list
Like?
Suitable Telephoto + NEX-5 Supports?
Jul 17, 2011

Hi all,

I'm in need of assistance in finding a suitable support for my setup. I have a 3M-5CA 500mm lens attached to a 2X teleconverter with my NEX-5. (Used this to capture the moon shot in this thread: ( http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&message=38913140 )

But I'm not entirely happy with it's stability. The focus ring on this lens is a bit stiff so I find it creates a lot of shake when I'm rotating it.

Attached pictures of the lens setup.

Is there a suitable tripod ring or adjustable tripod ring + camera support rail I can use?

I found the manfrotto 293 however I'm not too sure about it's lack of adjustable height for the lens support part. There's also this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390114291229&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'm skeptical on it's quality too. Are there any other options I could consider?

Also if it helps I've measured the largest part of the lens (the grooved bit) and that's around 86mm diameter and the part in between is about 80-82mm from what I remember.

Thanks
Nick

npires's gear list:npires's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
npires
Like?
Re: Suitable Telephoto + NEX-5 Supports?
In reply to npires, Jul 17, 2011

anyone?

RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
data2000
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
In reply to npires, Jul 17, 2011

ITs Sunday Cripes all mighty give every one a chance to wake up 3 hours between posts just aint right

npires wrote:

anyone?

data2000's gear list:data2000's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5
npires
Like?
In reply to data2000, Jul 17, 2011

It's been a quiet evening here in the UK

Oh I did find this seems to be perfect...

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php?products_id=4233#desc

Don't see anywhere that sells it in the UK though hmm...

franzel
Contributing MemberPosts: 760
Like?
In reply to npires, Jul 18, 2011

DIY is your friend, I made a few lens supports , nothing fancy .

Also, try a search for diy lens support here and on Google .

willang77
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
In reply to franzel, Jul 18, 2011

Wow, that's pretty nifty. I believe my coworker recently paid close to $150 for something similar to what you built.

npires
Like?

franzel wrote:

DIY is your friend, I made a few lens supports , nothing fancy .

Also, try a search for diy lens support here and on Google .

Thanks for the reply Franz!

This is giving me ideas. The other thing I've also been thinking is that essentially if I pay a little bit more attention to the setup. It could also double as a follow focus system? The rail system should allow for this too. My only concern is the focus ring on my 500mm lens is probably too stiff it might not be worth bothering.

franzel
Contributing MemberPosts: 760
Like?
In reply to npires, Jul 18, 2011

There are a number of DIY follow focus solutions around , too, but that's a little more complicated.

As for the support above, amongst other things I've been using as a base rail something called steel marking gauge (German : Streichmass) from ebay.

http://www1.westfalia.net/shops/tools/hand_tools/measuring_and_aligning/measuring_gauges/360377-steel_marking_gauge_200mm.htm

Over here, it is 40mm wide, and happens to fit most arca swiss clamps .

npires
Like?

franzel wrote:

There are a number of DIY follow focus solutions around , too, but that's a little more complicated.

As for the support above, amongst other things I've been using as a base rail something called steel marking gauge (German : Streichmass) from ebay.

http://www1.westfalia.net/shops/tools/hand_tools/measuring_and_aligning/measuring_gauges/360377-steel_marking_gauge_200mm.htm

Over here, it is 40mm wide, and happens to fit most arca swiss clamps .

Ingenious! Thanks Franzel. This will give me food for thought. What other parts have you used in that setup if you don't mind me asking?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads