Epson R2880 Troubles, Troubles, Troubles

Started Jul 17, 2011 | Discussions
Digitalic
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Epson R2880 Troubles, Troubles, Troubles
Jul 17, 2011

I have had my R2880 for a couple of years. The problem is that the printer is just too temperamental. This printer should have a very large warning label on the box and in all literature for it saying that the print heads will clog up if you don't print every week. I have fought with this beast about 6 times in 2 years with clogged heads and wasted hundreds of dollars in ink trying to clean the nozzles.

There needs to be a way to unclog nozzles without using EXPENSIVE ink. I emptied a new set today trying unsuccessfully to unclog several heads.

Why isn't there a way to remove the ink cartridges, cap them and replace them with a non dye ink substitute that will clean and keep the nozzles wet for up to 6 months? Putting a printer in storage for six months should not render it useless. ( Ok, so now somone will post there is a way.)

True, if I just printed every week then this might not happen. EVERY WEEK!!! I work 12 hour days.

Tech support says the only way to do this is to run clean cycles. I even tried a dilute mixture of distilled water, ammonia, and ethyl alcohol. It helped the yellow but the cyan is still over 50% clogged.

At this point I may just give up and toss it in the trash. I don't know how many times I have to run the clean cycle and it could easily eat $200 in ink. I might send it in for repair but that will also cost me hundreds of bucks. As of today the total cost in since new is $15 per 8.5x11!

I think that Epson is the Ferrari of printers...the prints are beautiful to look at but the machine is very very expensive to keep running.

Appologies it this seems a rant, I want to let others know that there is a big downside to having a nice printer if you don't print often and a lot.
Steve

Phil Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,545Gear list
Like?
Re: Epson R2880 Troubles, Troubles, Troubles
In reply to Digitalic, Jul 17, 2011

I've seen cleaning kits advertising to do exactly what you describe.

Any inkjet printer will clog if not used occasionally, but pigment printers will usually clog before a dye printer will.

If you live in an area of low humidity (or keep it low inside), that will tend to accelerate the problem. Under average humidity you should be able to get away with simply running a nozzle check monthly if you have nothing to print. I've gone several months without a clog, but I've probably been lucky. If you have low humidity, twice a month might be safer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,526
Like?
You are sure correct!

I just bought the Epson 2880 and need to print at least once a week or there will be a clog and as you state once you start cleaning usually one cartridge goes empty, so you replace it and then it does an auto clean on all carts because you just replaced that cartridge, now with that new cleaning cycle another cart goes empty, so you now need to replace that one and it triggers another auto clean cycle until you just blew through all the 8 color carts which now tells you that the 1st new cart you just changed is going empty.

I have some bitterness against the Espson engineers. I also own a Canon PRO9000 MK II dye printer. If one needs to run a nozzle clean, the cleaning routine allows you to choose slective cartridge cleaning; All Colors, Group 1 of only 5 colors, and Group 2 of 3 colors. Thus you minimize the ink sucking damage that these nozzle cleans do. Also if a major clog appears, you remove the Canon print head and soak it in water overnight, or soak in in Windex with ammonia and usually the clog is gone (can't remove an Epson print head) without using any ink at all!

The Canon PRO9500 MK II pigment printer has the same selective cleaning routine and print head removal feature.

So Epson please copy the Canon...

Bob P.

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,151
Like?

Yes, it is very important to print at least every few days. Ambient humidity is also important. Specially in a heated home or overly air conditioned environment.

I understand what you must be going through. I too have pigment based epsons and recently had a problem with my R1900's orange ink being a clogged. Only an AUTO nozzle cleaning run ( it took two attempts ) cleared it up. Luckily I have a CISS installed on it so the ink used wasn't really an issue. The amount of ink that made it to my external wast bottle was impressive in a ridiculous way!

I now run a utility to print a purge chart every week, whether I initiate print jobs to it or not.
It is available thorugh http://www.inksupply.com

http://inksupply.helpserve.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=28&nav=0

I have it set to print a purge chart on several printers once every week.
Great for when you are away from home.

So far, they are all runnning clog free.
Hope you can unclog your printer.

LarryM.
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?

Why isn't there a way to remove the ink cartridges, cap them and replace them with a non dye ink substitute that will clean and keep the nozzles wet for up to 6 months? Putting a printer in storage for six months should not render it useless. ( Ok, so now somone will post there is a way.)

I currently have three Epson's running, a 1400, a 2880 and a 4880. Two pigments and a dye machine. No clogging.

I'm believing that humidity is the important factor with people having constant clogs. My humidity is usually about 45-50% in the room where my printers live. I have one of those humidity gauge thingies in the room.

Most of the third party ink suppliers offer empty cartridge sets and cleaning solution for maintenance and storage of your printer. I know Inkjetmall sells them. I've seen them at other vendors, too.

Get a set and replace the inks if you are not going to print for a while. 2880 cartridges are self capping and should not leak when removed from the printer. Store them in a plastic bag and install the cleaning cartridges. Run a few dummy prints to flush the ink from the head and rest at ease. When you need to print, replace the ink and flush the cleaning solution out of your nice clean printer.

Also, if you do the unthinkable and get a drop of ink on the carpet, the cleaning solutions will remove it completely before your wife sees it.

Larry

Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,454
Like?
A couple of points!

Hi Steve,

I have always left my printers ON - many Epson and Canon printers will run auto-cleans at intervals - which although not exactly fine if using expensive OEM cartridges, is OK if a CIS is installed.

Cleaning cartridges are available - if going to leave a printer for some time, replace the cartridges with same (wrap removed cartridges in plastic) and run a couple of cleans. When wanting to print, replace cartridges, run a clean and in most cases, only one clean will have the printer running again. If leaving in hot conditions (here in Spain, high up in mountain village, low humidity) wrap printhead as well as possible between uses with kitchen cling film. I would mention that I have left my 1400, with the pigment inks from inkjetfly.com, for just over 3 weeks on several occasions, with head wrapped as mentioned - no clogs during past couple of years - and none if printer left for a week or so between uses.

Running a head clean once a week is surely not exactly a massive job, whether you work 12 hours or not if that will keep everything working OK - surely far better than spending all the time and wasting ink you mentioned! A clean - ALWAYS followed by a nozzle check!!!! - takes but a few minutes start to finish.

There are utilities available to clean specific colours - do some searching. I am currently working on my little netbook so cannot access records on my desktop but when I can, will post the link here for you. The SSC utility may well work with your model - check it out to see.

http://www.ssclg.com/epsons.shtml

However, there are some other specific hacks for printers not covered by the SSC utility that are excellent and offer lots more in way of servicing a printer. Watch this space @^@

-- hide signature --

Zone8
3 Quotes by Ansel Adams:

"A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into." "A good photograph is knowing where to stand." "Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm

JJ Winkel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,387
Like?
Re: A couple of points!
In reply to Zone8, Jul 17, 2011

Zone8 wrote:

If leaving in hot conditions (here in Spain, high up in mountain village, low humidity) wrap printhead as well as possible between uses with kitchen cling film.

I am curious to understand how you do this, do you mean having the cling film running under the print head and round the whole head ?
I live in south France and it's pretty dry and hot too.
--
JJ.

Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,454
Like?
Update and reply
In reply to JJ Winkel, Jul 17, 2011

JJ Winkel wrote:

I am curious to understand how you do this, do you mean having the cling film running under the print head and round the whole head ?

I live in south France and it's pretty dry and hot too.

First - link to the utilities for Epson printers NOT covered by the SSC utility. You can find appropriate utility from these websites so DO make a note and add to your Favorites/Bookmarks - you never know when you might need this. Utilities cover waste ink counter resetting and cleaning specific heads/colours. You can select language on the website as link will be for Spanish.

http://es.nitrodownloads.net/search/reset%2Bepson%2B2880
and
http://www.uploadcity.com/?f=5859318&t=RESET_IMPRESORAS_EPSON.iso&

Regarding the cling film, if you set printhead into "change cartridge" position, then unplug the power lead (NOT switch off the printer as that will just repark the head) you can then move head freely side to side - this is procedure for installing a CIS. You can then easily get the cling film under the head and wrap up and around sides and top. One wrap is sufficient to help reduce any possibility of drying out due low humidity. I know some people will put a thin linen (like handkerchief material) under the head, doubled, with some 5% Ammonia (which is main ingredient of Windex as regards head cleaning) first but must admit I personally do not bother. I also know some only put the cling film around the head (not under) with plenty to spare and that also seems to work OK.

-- hide signature --

Zone8
3 Quotes by Ansel Adams:

"A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into." "A good photograph is knowing where to stand." "Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm

bahamonde
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?

Digitalic wrote:

There needs to be a way to unclog nozzles without using EXPENSIVE ink. I emptied a new set today trying unsuccessfully to unclog several heads.

It does. This is the kit people have been using from time to time http://www.Inkrepublic.com/iRemove.asp

I think that Epson is the Ferrari of printers...the prints are beautiful to look at but the machine is very very expensive to keep running.

That's why some people love to use 3rd party inks, you at least not use expensive ink to unclog nozzles if you run into clogging hell. I also have an InkRepublic R2880 CIS but havent installed it yet. I am thinking about buying an R3000 and sell 2880 on ebay.

LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,622Gear list
Like?
In reply to bahamonde, Jul 17, 2011

The R2880 is so quirky and unreliable that I have given it away along with a full set of new Epson cartridges. I owned it for 18 months and printed whenever it felt like working. It has been replaced by an Epson R3000. My old R1800 is now showing signs of dying and it will be replaced with a 1400. One pigment printer and one dye will be fine as long as they 'print'. When the frustration level exceeds the value of the machine, it is time to call it quits.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +17 more
Petruska
Like?
Well....
In reply to LMNCT, Jul 17, 2011

the R3000 has the same K3 ink set chemistry and same anti-clogging print head as the R2880, plus the R3000 has smaller nozzles.

So do you really believe that it will have less clogging that the R2880? I don't think so....

Bob P.

LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,622Gear list
Like?
Re: Well....
In reply to Petruska, Jul 17, 2011

The constant problem with the R2880 was not clogging, it was paper feed. The machine was erratic and unreliable, but when it did print, the prints were very nice.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +17 more
Phil Hill
Like?
In reply to Petruska, Jul 18, 2011

Petruska wrote:

plus the R3000 has smaller nozzles.

Is this confirmed by Epson? I know that the smallest of the three droplet sizes is smaller than the smallest on the R2880, but I've not seen anything indicating that Epson made the nozzles smaller. If they did, it doesn't seem to have led to clogging on my R3000.

Petruska
Like?
In reply to Phil Hill, Jul 18, 2011

Do a test for us, don't use the printer for a week and let us know if there is a skip or so in the nozzle check.

Only end users are going to be the reliable source if it clogs or not. I can't see any major improvement with the anti-clogging efforts of the R3000 over previous Epson printers. Now if they would have changed the ink chemistry then I would be a believer....

As others have stated it depends on where you live and the humdity content. I can go to my 40% humidity level room and print all day without a skip in a nozzle check. If I turn the A/C on in a few hours while I print I notice a skip in a print and run the nozzle check and sure enough there is a skip, a few more nozzle checks and still skips. Let the printer sit all night in the high humdity and the next morning no skips in the nozzle check.

Bob P.

Leon Wittwer
Forum ProPosts: 12,798
Like?
Not as simple as just humidity...

I'm retired and a snowbird. I spend my summers in Northern Virginia which is hot and humid. I spend my winters in Arizona with low humidity. I take my 2880 with me and have not had any problems in either place. I also sometimes go 2-4 weeks without printing and have no problems in that regard.
This was my experience with my 2200 and 2400 also.
--
Leon
http://web.me.com/leonwittwer/landscapes.htm

Phil Hill
Like?
Epson and clogging

Petruska wrote:

Do a test for us, don't use the printer for a week and let us know if there is a skip or so in the nozzle check.

Only end users are going to be the reliable source if it clogs or not. I can't see any major improvement with the anti-clogging efforts of the R3000 over previous Epson printers. Now if they would have changed the ink chemistry then I would be a believer....

The behavior of Epson pigment printers is already very well-known and I’m not going to stop using my R3000 simply to satisfy curiosity. However, I’ve not seen anything from Epson indicating that they’ve made any changes that would affect clogging, so I’m not sure what you mean about being a believer.

I can say that in the three months or so that I’ve had the R3000 there have been a couple of times that I exceeded two weeks of non-use and the nozzle checks were fine. But I’ve also had that experience with other Epson printers, so I don’t think it’s especially significant. (And I do know that others have had clogs in less time.)

By the way, except in rare cases I typically print on weekends, so five days of non-use is the norm for me.

What I was really asking about, though, was the nozzle size. If you’re right about the nozzles being smaller then I’d certainly expect that the R3000 might be more finicky than previous models.

Digitalic
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to Phil Hill, Aug 19, 2011

First, thank you all for the help. I read a lot and considered all suggestions. From dozens of posts here and elsewhere I have boiled down the following process to clean and prevent clogging. In the last four weeks I have cleared my nozzles with just the cleaning cycles from powering up the printer four times and printing nozzle check patterns four times. I did the cleaning drops once a week for three weeks. After three weeks I had almost all the nozzles clear. Now at about 4 weeks they are all clear. This is not a fast clean process.

CLEANING

Mix 85% distilled water, 10% Vodka, and 5% ammonia then use eye dropper to apply 2-3 drops to the pads under the nozzle parking area. I also put 1-3 drops on the spikes that sticks up into the ink cartriges.

STORAGE

I made a cover that fits tightly over my printer from 60 mil plastic sheet. I condidered using a large zip lock bag like the clothing vacuum bags but found they are difficult to get on and off. To increase humidity I got two old plastic 35mm film cans and put sponge inside. I drilled some 3/16 in holes in the tops and added straight Vodka. They are placed in the printer next to the next to the print head/ink transport. The two cans are still soggy after 2 weeks and that's about when I added more Vodka. I have a remove-before-printing flag that is draped outside to remind to remove the cans before powering up the printer.

So, I am using Vodka to keep my heads clear
Regards

erricsson
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Mar 25, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

I now run a utility to print a purge chart every week, whether I initiate print jobs to it or not. 
It is available thorugh http://www.inksupply.com

http://inksupply.helpserve.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=28&nav=0

Hope you still refer back here.  I've just stumbled across this thread while scouring the net for a solution to my trouble with my Epson R2880.  I can produce about 10 prints (about equal amounts of colour and BW) and then 5 minutes later the prints begin to look scary because most of the nozzles are blocked or blocking fast.  Just that quick!!  Just about to try Magic Bullet for the 2nd time in a week but also wondered if you could tell me is if the download ttp://inksupply.helpserve.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=28&nav=0 is Mac compatible?

Using CIS system that I have just got from inkexpress.co.uk.  If I do any more cleaning cycles I can see the waste ink in the printer maxing soon!!!

Thanks for any help.

TonyGamble
Senior MemberPosts: 2,047
Like?
In reply to erricsson, Mar 25, 2013

Joe is around so you should hear from him quickly.

I can add that I sold an R2400 to someone a month ago and he was using a Mac. On my PC it never went wrong in seven years. With his Mac it was a real pig and I ended up giving him his money back to avoid eBay flack. He could have been conning me but I am sure he wasn't.

From what the man was saying it must have been driver problems.

Good luck with Joe.

Tony

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,151
Like?
In reply to erricsson, Mar 25, 2013

erricsson wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

It is available thorugh http://www.inksupply.com

Hope you still refer back here. I've just stumbled across this thread while scouring the net for a solution to my trouble with my Epson R2880. I can produce about 10 prints (about equal amounts of colour and BW) and then 5 minutes later the prints begin to look scary because most of the nozzles are blocked or blocking fast. Just that quick!! Just about to try Magic Bullet for the 2nd time in a week but also wondered if you could tell me is if the download ttp://inksupply.helpserve.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=28&nav=0 is Mac compatible?

No. Only for PC. Says so right next to the download for the ZIP file.

Using CIS system that I have just got from inkexpress.co.uk. If I do any more cleaning cycles I can see the waste ink in the printer maxing soon!!!

You are probably loosing ink flow from your ciss to your dampers. If you were getting the great print and suddenly you are not, that leads me to believe you are loosing your PRIMING in your dampers or carts that the CISS tubes feed into. The height position of the reservoir ink tanks has to be pretty me perfect. There is not to much leeway from the "Happy" point.

Way back in the day when I did use a CISS ( I have over 18 printers currently operating ) I found that I had to raise my tanks about the height of a VHS tape box.

Too low and the ink will syphon back out of the dampers. Too high and the ink with syphon into the dampers and drain out in the waste pads through the head and the purge unit.

Bet you anything that if you install a set of OEM or properly filled and primed refillable carts you will not have this problem.

Joe

Thanks for any help.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads