AppData folder , huge size

Started Jul 16, 2011 | Discussions
Lazlo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,742
Like?
AppData folder , huge size
Jul 16, 2011

I am running Window 7 64 bit.
My C drive is getting full slowly without installing any new program.
Seems like App Data folder just keeps on growing.
Have 22.3 gig in the Roaming subfolder and 28.4 gig in the Local subfolder.
Is there a way to trim this folders to free up some space on the drive ?

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,328
Like?
Re: AppData folder , huge size
In reply to Lazlo, Jul 16, 2011

Lazlo wrote:

Sure, you can trim it down but you'll have to be selective. Some can be deleted safely; other files will cause huge problems if removed.

Cache and temp folders can generally be safely emptied. Others may require considerably more discretion.

There are some tools which can help automate this process. Two that I trust are:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

And:

http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

The first is actually part of Windows, and CCleaner is a widely used freeware program.

Personally, I prune mine a lot more aggressively using largely manual methods but you need to understand exactly what you're deleting.

Before you delete anything, you might want to play with SpaceSniffer:

http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/

This program will help you understand which program(s) are eating up all of this space. Then you may choose to reconfigure those particular apps (e.g. reduce the amount of space allocated for cache) or even replace them if they're behaving really badly.

Edit: with 50GB is there I'm guessing that iTunes is responsible for a good chunk of those files. Sadly, there isn't anything you can (easily) do about the iTunes data.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lazlo
Like?
In reply to malch, Jul 16, 2011

Thank you so much for your reply.

I will check out those programs

Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,202
Like?
Warning!
In reply to Lazlo, Jul 17, 2011

Lazlo wrote:

Thank you so much for your reply.

I will check out those programs

Be aware that such utilities as ccleaner can cause their own havoc! You would be surprised if you knew what they can delete! Same for many Registry Cleaners!

Make a Restore Point before using - I know from past experience (I service local clients' computers) if you do not take that precaution, you will most likely regret using such as ccleaner. You must have the ability to step back or you could well regret what it does. Some report OK to use but my own experience (and many others) totally differs. I would not recommend its use.

-- hide signature --

Zone8
3 Quotes by Ansel Adams:

"A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into." "A good photograph is knowing where to stand." "Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm

Lazlo
Like?
Re: Warning!
In reply to Zone8, Jul 17, 2011

Thank you so much. I will proceed with caution
--
Lazlo
http://www.pictures-by-lazlo.com/
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr/lazlo

Eric Carlson
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,360Gear list
Like?

Zone8 wrote:

Be aware that such utilities as ccleaner can cause their own havoc! You would be surprised if you knew what they can delete! Same for many Registry Cleaners!

If you are worried about CCleaner messing up your registry, then just don't use the registry clean feature: You can still use the file clean features, which sounds like what the original poster would be more interested in anyway. And the file clean feature is the main feature of CCleaner anyway.

-- hide signature --
 Eric Carlson's gear list:Eric Carlson's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Canon EOS 500D Motorola Triumph +1 more
malch
Like?

Zone8 wrote:

Make a Restore Point before using -

The "sky will fall" scare stuff is really rather silly.

Of course, I hope you have some kind of backups -- you need that regardless of any file and/or registry cleaner. And folks can always make a restore point if it makes them feel better (although it's really not necessary).

Personally, I've run CCleaner about once a week for two years with no restore points or other special measures. This on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine with many hundreds of applications and 2TB of data. My computer did not explode, burst into flames, or anything else. It just keeps on runnin'...

Frankly, most folks are at a greater risk from web surfin' or checking email than they are from CCleaner. What are they supposed to do? Make a restore point each time they read email or visit a web site...

For the record, I do not take a cavalier attitude with my system or data. I have backups up the wazzo, a UPS in part to protect against lightening strikes (also a greater risk than CCleaner), and more.

Any program you install or run can, in theory, mess up your registry. CCleaner is far better written and better behaved than most, IMO. Sames goes for the other Piriform programs.

Andreja
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?
In reply to Lazlo, Jul 18, 2011

Lazlo wrote:

As implied by the name, this is the per-user location where applications are meant to store data. The "local" branch also contains the VirtualStore - the location where "naughty" apps which try to modify "Program Files" contents have their writes silently redirected.

Odds are that you've got one or two apps doing a heck of a lot of writing, and that examining the relative size of the folders will show you which app is doing it. Afterwards, it's a question of whether or not the app(s) in question can be cajoled into changing its behaviour.

Oh, I'd also like to second the anti-ccleaner message. "Registry Cleaners" are snake oil for the uninformed. Don't fall into the trap of listening to such "advice".

malch
Like?
In reply to Andreja, Jul 18, 2011

Andreja wrote:

Oh, I'd also like to second the anti-ccleaner message. "Registry Cleaners" are snake oil for the uninformed. Don't fall into the trap of listening to such "advice".

Many are. However, CCleaner is primarily a file cleaner; history, temp, cache files and the like. Plus, optionally, cookies.

It does include a very non-aggressive registry cleaner but there's no need to use that especially if the goal is to prune the AppData folder.

I really don't care what folks run or don't run on their systems but CCleaner is definitely not snake oil. It's free, it works exactly as advertised, it's used regularly by many millions of users, and has 5 star ratings at many of the major review sites such as CNET, Freewarefiles, MajorGeeks, and more.

CCleaner is produced by Piriform and their other products (Recuva, Defraggler, and Speccy) are held in similarly high regard. I recommend all of them without reservation or hesitation.

And for the record, my only association with Piriform is as a satisfied and grateful user.

Lazlo
Like?
In reply to malch, Jul 18, 2011

Thank you guys,
I have used the Disk Cleanup and it has freed up quite a bit of space.
But, I should really figure out which apps write so much data on the C drive
--
Lazlo
http://www.pictures-by-lazlo.com/
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr/lazlo

malch
Like?
In reply to Lazlo, Jul 18, 2011

Lazlo wrote:

I have used the Disk Cleanup and it has freed up quite a bit of space.
But, I should really figure out which apps write so much data on the C drive

Try SpaceSniffer -- it will help you figure that out very quickly and easily and is free.

http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/

It's only a 1.5MB download -- just extract the ZIP and execute (no installation required).

In a minute or two you'll identify the guilty parties!

Andreja
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?
In reply to malch, Jul 19, 2011

malch wrote:

Andreja wrote:

Many are. However, CCleaner is primarily a file cleaner; history, temp, cache files and the like. Plus, optionally, cookies.

It does include a very non-aggressive registry cleaner but there's no need to use that especially if the goal is to prune the AppData folder.

All "registry cleaners" are snake oil, by definition. The registry doesn't need "cleaning" - ever. It may also have useful adjuncts, but at its core an automated "cleaner" is always unnecessary for the skilled, and dangerous for others.

It's better to seek the cause of any given issue instead of trying to blow it away, shotgun style, with an app which fundamentally has no way of knowing which files/registry values/cookies/whatever are important in any given context.

OttawaTony
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to malch, 10 months ago

malch wrote:

Edit: with 50GB is there I'm guessing that iTunes is responsible for a good chunk of those files. Sadly, there isn't anything you can (easily) do about the iTunes data.

Actually, in iTunes you can go into Preferences/Devices and delete earlier (redundant) backups that might exist for each device.

digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,095Gear list
Like?
Tony, why? (nt)
In reply to OttawaTony, 10 months ago
-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,257
Like?
In reply to Lazlo, 10 months ago

Are you using Lightroom ?

If yes then it's probably LR that is using more space.

jlinear
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
In reply to Zone8, 10 months ago

Zone8 wrote:

Yes, indeed. CC caused havoc with my Thunderbird e-mail setup. To remedy it I had to go into CC's Application tab and turn off access to Thunderbird files. It remedied the situation.

AxelR
Contributing MemberPosts: 995
Like?
In reply to Lazlo, 10 months ago

Use the system's built-in Disk Cleanup Utility and *nothing* *else*.

-- hide signature --
BrianPriceUK
Contributing MemberPosts: 622
Like?
In reply to Archer66, 10 months ago

I use a free program called WinDirStat whichshows you eaxactly what size every folder and file on your disc is:

http://windirstat.info/

Once you know exactly where the extra Gbs are you can decide what to delete.

Brian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads