Dell Ultrasharp U2711 vs. U3011 Monitors??

Started Jul 13, 2011 | Discussions
KSQPhotography Regular Member • Posts: 209
Dell Ultrasharp U2711 vs. U3011 Monitors??

I am in the market for a nice 27 to 30" computer monitor to be used for photo/video editing, some gaming, movies, and general computing. I was wondering if anyone has actually used either the Dell Ultrasharp U2711 or U3011 monitors in person? I have read a few bad reviews about the anti-glare coating being very unfavorable...alomost a deal breaker to some people. This seems to be to main complaint on reviews from cnet and other sites. Also, some people seem to be getting some bad copies of both the Dell U2711 and U3011 with various issues that cause them to return the monitors for replacements...several examples are on youtube. Can anyone share their personal experience regarding either of these issues or others concerning these monitors?

I have also posted in other forums, but thought it was worth the time to ask the Pros. It seems like those of you who do this for a living are more likely to have invested in a high quality monitor for editing. Thanks!

rebel99 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,025
Re: Dell Ultrasharp U2711 vs. U3011 Monitors??

i am glad you brought up this subject because i am in the same situation i will build a powerful pc and planning to get a nice monitor, such as those you have mentioned. i like to see some responses from the owners, as well

cheerz.

KSQPhotography wrote:

I am in the market for a nice 27 to 30" computer monitor to be used for photo/video editing, some gaming, movies, and general computing. I was wondering if anyone has actually used either the Dell Ultrasharp U2711 or U3011 monitors in person? I have read a few bad reviews about the anti-glare coating being very unfavorable...alomost a deal breaker to some people. This seems to be to main complaint on reviews from cnet and other sites. Also, some people seem to be getting some bad copies of both the Dell U2711 and U3011 with various issues that cause them to return the monitors for replacements...several examples are on youtube. Can anyone share their personal experience regarding either of these issues or others concerning these monitors?

I have also posted in other forums, but thought it was worth the time to ask the Pros. It seems like those of you who do this for a living are more likely to have invested in a high quality monitor for editing. Thanks!

mmmmmmmm Senior Member • Posts: 2,666

Just be sure that whatever monitor you purchase that it can be fully color corrected. I had a 24" Dell monitor that I could not color correct'

I prefer a monitor like the ones from EZIO which has all the color correction software built in. these monitors are designed for color work both for picture files and video. You do have to pay a premium for good monitors.
Respectfully,
David Miller

mmmmmmmm's gear list:mmmmmmmm's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
MIRANDA1 Contributing Member • Posts: 660

I a have dual U2711s configuration running off a MacPro and I have been very impressed with the performance of this monitor, I use them primarily for Photoshop work. Prior to purchasing them I also scanned the net for reviews and was also concerned about the "sparlkle" effect created by the anti-glare coating that some users were complaining about but in reality I don't notice it at all.
--
DreamHorizon Photography http://dreamhorizon.zenfolio.com/

Papasha Senior Member • Posts: 2,158

I had the same dilemma in the beginning of this year and decided on U2711 instead of 30” due to smaller pitch.

I almost exclusively use this machine (dual monitors – U2711 and HP LP2474W) for photo/video editing in Photoshop and Premiere, so wide gamut and color fidelity are essential. Dell came significantly brighter, but after using Spider calibration on both they now look exactly the same. I was unpleasantly surprised that Dell did not have adjustment in one of 3 axes (you can move it up and down or tilt toward or away from you, but you cannot tilt it clockwise or anticlockwise. I can rotate my HP anyhow I want). First Dell delivered was… good 5 – 7 degrees tilted to the right at the bracket holding it on the stand due to some kind of weird misalignment!! I could not believe I didn’t have any way of fixing it by tilting. For the price of the monitor, you would expect nothing of that sort. I called Dell and talking to a friendly Indian voice (no offence to anybody) was given the following request – “Can I connect to your machine over Internet, so I can troubleshoot the issue remotely, sir?” I almost fell off my chair…

Anyway, they promptly shipped another one, which was much better (still slightly off in the bracket!) and I settled for that. Works flawlessly for what I have it for. Compare to HP working with text when needed is much better. In terms of color – you can’t tell them apart after calibration.

BTW – Last thing. My new machine is Windows 7, which for the first time in Windows family as far as I know, supports dual monitor profiles, so I have separate calibration profile for HP and another one for Dell. Before (with XP) I could not do that and due to significantly different initial presets I don’t think I would be able to work with these rather different monitors having the same color…

Good luck!

KSQPhotography wrote:

-- hide signature --

Some of my older work: http://www.pbase.com/papasha

Papasha's gear list:Papasha's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7R II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads