7d High ISO white specks (like dandruff) on dark backgrounds

Started Jul 10, 2011 | Discussions
Philz
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
7d High ISO white specks (like dandruff) on dark backgrounds
Jul 10, 2011

I am sure this is an old issue but I can't seem to find discussions on the subject. Are these white specks "normal" for high pixel density APS-C sensors? "Normal" for a 7d? What do 7d owners do about them? Is there an in-camera setting that will diminish them? Thanks.

Philz

Philz's gear list:Philz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
bronxbombers
Forum ProPosts: 18,226
Like?
Re: 7d High ISO white specks (like dandruff) on dark backgrounds
In reply to Philz, Jul 11, 2011

Philz wrote:

I am sure this is an old issue but I can't seem to find discussions on the subject. Are these white specks "normal" for high pixel density APS-C sensors? "Normal" for a 7d? What do 7d owners do about them? Is there an in-camera setting that will diminish them? Thanks.

Philz

It seemed to me that they show up by far the least when using ACR, if at all, and a lot more using DPP or C1. I think ACR filters them out, pretty much.

I don't recall seeing them with an old 20D and DPP though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,675Gear list
Like?
Sharpening artifacts...?

White specs are a very typical artifact from sharpening a high ISO image without first doing some serious noise reduction. Could that be the issue?

Best way to determine that is to take a look at the RAW image using DPP, CS5, LR, or your favorite RAW processing software and see if the image has those artifacts to begin with. Then try some sharpening and see if they show up.

Philz wrote:

Philz

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
pdqgp
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,920Gear list
Like?
Like this ?

Very high ISO very low light shot with a 40D and couple bits of clean up.

White specs are likely sharpening artifacts. Even my results are better with Adobe RAW in CS5. This one is from DPP.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/117368230/original

-- hide signature --

-tim

NW Columbus/Dublin, Ohio
Family Photo Site
http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro

RIP Sir Ares of Sedgewick 2000-2010
RIP our Sweet Lady Jasmine II 1997-2008

pdqgp's gear list:pdqgp's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Konica KD-400 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS75 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 +13 more
Robert Watcher
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
I have figured out a way to fix pics taken with white specs
In reply to Philz, Mar 25, 2012

Interesting that I came across this thread. I don't have a 7D, but just yesterday read a Kirk Tuck post on his Visual Science Lab blog about white specs from his new Sony a77 - http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.ca/2012/03/good-bad-and-ugly-of-sony-a77-camera.html . I found it curious because back in 2008, I had a serious issue with the same thing with my Olympus cameras.

I had taken many shots in a dark museum while in Costa Rica with my new E-510 and when I later viewed them at 100% - - - they were filled with white specs. It seriously bothered me and I wrote about the issue on forums and even contacted Olympus Canada, but could not find a resolution. A few months later I purchased the E-3 and while shooting outdoors at night, noticed the same specs. I just chocked it up to Olympus sensors.

Anyway - I had to use some of the images that I had taken and tried noise reduction software to remove the specs. It actually enhanced them. I finally figured out a way to deal with my problem on most of my images.

After reading Kirk Tuck's post yesterday, I posted on my Journal about the simple method (using Photoshop) that I came up with to get rid of the specs. I posted it here - http://robertwatcher.com/journal/index.php?jp=252&title=cleaning-up-white-specs-from-sensor . Kirk replied by Twitter, that he tried this on his Sony images and it worked for him as well. Thought it might be of value to some here as well.

-- hide signature --

Rob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads