First shots with my new "toy lens"

Started Jul 10, 2011 | Discussions
caloymiranda
Regular MemberPosts: 314Gear list
Like?
First shots with my new "toy lens"
Jul 10, 2011

After waiting for about a month for my e-pl2 to get repaired (broken shutter) I finally got to use my 25mm 1.4 c-mount toy lens (got it from e-bay for 38 dollars).

I wanted to share my first few pictures with the lens. These are all OOC jpegs with no post processing. I still need to work on my manual focusing. I think i like this lens enough to buy a real one (the pentax version) in the near future.

I'm curious to know what you guys think. C&C are most welcome.

Carlo

caloymiranda's gear list:caloymiranda's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +4 more
LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,658Gear list
Like?
Re: First shots with my new "toy lens"
In reply to caloymiranda, Jul 10, 2011

Some observations ---

This is a good example of what the lens does but as a photo it's not that interesting.

Not bad, I like this. I would have cropped it tighter, personally, even though you'd lose some of the character of the lens.

This is a good example of the kind of shot this lens does best. Low light, funky colors, distortion okay as part of the total effect

A nice clear shot. I wish the white balance had be set differently though. It's another good low-light use for this particular lens.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,341
Like?
No offense, but...
In reply to caloymiranda, Jul 10, 2011

the pics look like they were shot with a toy lens.

Mike942
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Like?
In reply to caloymiranda, Jul 11, 2011

I don't get it. What does this lens allow you to achieve that you couldn't do with the 20mm 1.7?

howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,558
Like?
In reply to LincolnB, Jul 11, 2011

Your photos convinced me. There is not toy lens in my future.
--
Howard
http://www.photo.net/photos/howardfuhrman

caloymiranda
Like?
In reply to LincolnB, Jul 11, 2011

thanks for the comments!

Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +4 more
caloymiranda
Like?
Re: No offense, but...
In reply to amtberg, Jul 11, 2011

no offense taken...i do agree...i guess you get what you pay for...i didn't expect much from the lens actually...but i thought it did better than expected to be honest...

caloymiranda
Like?
In reply to Mike942, Jul 11, 2011

nothing. but why would you even compare a 38 dollar lens to a 400-500 dollar one? isn't that a bit unfair? I'm still saving up for that 20mm 1.7. Having this actually made me realize how i want the 20mm 1.7. The pictures may be bad but it does give you the ability to work in low light...something which my kit is currently bad at...

dstate1
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?

I can imagine a lot of neat things you could do with this lens, particularly in landscape images...It's all about the application, not the tool.
--
http://danstates.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dstate1/

caloymiranda
Like?
In reply to howardfuhrman, Jul 11, 2011

i guess its not for everyone...i just saved you 30 dollars!

leafinsectman
Contributing MemberPosts: 763
Like?

Is the $38 including shipping? If so then it's not too bad. Yes it's a toy lens and it's not for everyone but if the fun you get using it matches the price you paid for it then why not?

That said, I was able to get a Cosmicar 25mm f/1.9 for $20+ and a Computar 25mm f/1.3 for around $8 (both including shipping) and I think those two can produce much better quality images than this lens.

Is that third pic taken at the Mall of Asia?

-- hide signature --
caloymiranda
Like?
In reply to dstate1, Jul 11, 2011

the photos need some work too i'm afraid...i will experiment some more...i do agree with what you said there.

caloymiranda
Like?
In reply to leafinsectman, Jul 11, 2011

yeah...it includes shipping...really? did you get those from ebay? this is probably the cheapest (brand new) in the bunch...it doesn't even have a brand name so my expectations were really, really low to begin with. I have decided to go dumpster diving with the hopes of finding a "branded" one with better quality. I like the effects/side effects (sharp in the center, circular blur on the edges, slight vignetting).

the picture was taken at Marquee (Ayala) mall. Same country, different province.

leafinsectman
Contributing MemberPosts: 763
Like?

caloymiranda wrote:

yeah...it includes shipping...really? did you get those from ebay? this is probably the cheapest (brand new) in the bunch...

Yeah eBay although they weren't new. Pretty good condition though. I've been taking a lot of pics with them but I don't think I've uploaded any. I'll have to upload some here when I get the chance.

it doesn't even have a brand name so my expectations were really, really low to begin with. I have decided to go dumpster diving with the hopes of finding a "branded" one with better quality. I like the effects/side effects (sharp in the center, circular blur on the edges, slight vignetting).

If you can find one, the Computar 12.5mm f/1.3 is another fun C-mount lens.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=35746333
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=36621428

I've been using that quite a lot so I should add more images to those threads.

the picture was taken at Marquee (Ayala) mall. Same country, different province.

Ahh okay, I've never been there. The photo reminded me of the back section of the Mall of Asia.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads