canon fd 50mm 1.1.8 value?

Started Jul 6, 2011 | Discussions
Richard Homeyer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,088
Like?
canon fd 50mm 1.1.8 value?
Jul 6, 2011

A neighbor of mine saw me testing out some lenses and asked me about some that were abandoned in his house when he bought it. One was a canon fd 50mm 1:1.8 s.c.. It seems to be in decent shape. I looked on ebay and several sold for about 10$ or less while some are selling for 30-40$ or more (completed listings). I didn't notice any major issues with the ones that went cheaper. What are these worth? stores like b&h seem to want about 60$ used? if they are worth that much why do so many sell so cheap on ebay?

fyi, there were 3 other lenses, 2 with bad fungus and one (a vivitar 2x teleconverter) that may or may not just barely have the siigns of fungus starting. I'll have to clean it better to know for sure. There was also a 011a speedlite and power winder (not worth much I guess).

if its worth much I could try and sell it for him. Otherwise I'll rip the mount off and try to put a pentax one on it (yea, I know the flange distance problem, if it's worth next to nothing, who cares if I trash it trying).

In case you didn't guess, I have a pentax so I'm familiar with cameras and lenses but not canon (and I know fd is a dead mount).

BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,086
Like?
Re: canon fd 50mm 1.1.8 value?
In reply to Richard Homeyer, Jul 6, 2011

Canon FD lenses are for long-discontinued manual focus filmcameras, and are cheap because hardly anyone uses these cameras any more, nor wants an old standard lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Richard Homeyer
Like?
In reply to BAK, Jul 6, 2011

Yea I knew it was a discontinued mount that was only good with film. So they are a common lens with little monetary value?

BAK wrote:

Canon FD lenses are for long-discontinued manual focus filmcameras, and are cheap because hardly anyone uses these cameras any more, nor wants an old standard lens.

photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,135
Like?

Richard Homeyer wrote:

Yea I knew it was a discontinued mount that was only good with film. So they are a common lens with little monetary value?

pretty much, i guess the ebay prices reflect what you can get.
To adapt you would need a converter with glass; the ones available are not good.

For expensive lenses (say 50mm f1.2, or > 400mm lenses), mount change has been done, and is offered for I think about 300$.
here some DIY
http://www.ganymeta.org/~darren/photo_f1.2_conversion.php

BAK wrote:

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

tonyjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,156Gear list
Like?

It's biggest value is for reverse mounting . Most on ebay make money on the shipping - not lens .
--
1st it's a hobby
7D gripped XTI gripped
Canon - efs 10-22 , 17-55 , ef 18-55 IS
EF 28-90 , 28 @ 2.8 , 50 @1.8 , 28-135 IS
L's 35-350 , 70-200 MK II IS
Quantaray lens 70-300 macro
Sigma 135 - 400
2X III , Life Size converter
KSM filters for all
kenko auto tubes , EF 25

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
Richard Homeyer
Like?
In reply to photonius, Jul 6, 2011

thanks for the link. that's got some interesting information. I was thinking a little more down and dirty to start with. Unscrew the canon mount. tie the aperture wide open. drill holes in a 4$ m42 to pk adapter to match the lens (the kind with the flange). bent a detent in the adapter where i drilled with a roll punch to countersink the screw heads. file the back of the detent to adjust height for infinity focus. screw it on and done. worry about aperture control and filling the gaps later.

On this one, getting manual aperture control looks easy. screw a tiny plate to a tab on the aperture ring that grabs the lever.

It's not too hard of a job but is this lens good enough to make it worth even that much effort (I hope so since I already started).

photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,135
Like?
In reply to Richard Homeyer, Jul 7, 2011

Richard Homeyer wrote:

thanks for the link. that's got some interesting information.

I think if you google some more, you can find more conversions.

I was thinking a little more down and dirty to start with. Unscrew the canon mount. tie the aperture wide open. drill holes in a 4$ m42 to pk adapter to match the lens (the kind with the flange). bent a detent in the adapter where i drilled with a roll punch to countersink the screw heads. file the back of the detent to adjust height for infinity focus. screw it on and done. worry about aperture control and filling the gaps later.

On this one, getting manual aperture control looks easy. screw a tiny plate to a tab on the aperture ring that grabs the lever.

It's not too hard of a job but is this lens good enough to make it worth even that much effort (I hope so since I already started).

I think it's probably quite good, the EF AF version is quite a good lens - and I think optical design of most of these 50mm lenses has changed very little over time.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

ZoneV
Regular MemberPosts: 200
Like?
In reply to photonius, Jul 12, 2011

I use a FD 50/1.8 as a tilt lens for my Canon crop bodies:
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/tilt_and_shift.html

These old FD lenses work very well on DSLR cameras, once converted to the EF mount.

I have converted some older Canon FD lenses, like the

FD 85/1.2L http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Canon-FD_85_1.2L-EF-Bajonett-Umbau.html

FD 100/4 Macro http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Canon-FD100-4.0-Macro-EOS-EF-Umbau.html
FD 300/2.8L http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Canon-FD300-2.8-EF-Umbau.html

FD 400/2.8L http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Canon-NewFD_400_2.8-EF-Bajonett-Konvertierung.html
FD 500/4.5L http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Canon-FD500-EF-Bajonett.html

Pictures are on the linked sites - but mostly German text only.
Next to convert will be the FD 24/1.4L. FD 20/2.8 won´t work on normal EOS 5D.

Some other Canon FD lenses are still waiting - but I have other ideas that have to be realized first.

For the very long super tele lenses Ed Mika made an adapter that will keep infinity.

-- hide signature --

Camera DIY repair and modification linklist:
http://4photos.de/camera-diy/index-en.html

Brian D. Schneider
Forum ProPosts: 16,588
Like?
In reply to Richard Homeyer, Jul 12, 2011

Richard Homeyer wrote:

A neighbor of mine saw me testing out some lenses and asked me about some that were abandoned in his house when he bought it. One was a canon fd 50mm 1:1.8 s.c.. It seems to be in decent shape. I looked on ebay and several sold for about 10$ or less while some are selling for 30-40$ or more (completed listings). I didn't notice any major issues with the ones that went cheaper. What are these worth? stores like b&h seem to want about 60$ used? if they are worth that much why do so many sell so cheap on ebay?

fyi, there were 3 other lenses, 2 with bad fungus and one (a vivitar 2x teleconverter) that may or may not just barely have the siigns of fungus starting. I'll have to clean it better to know for sure. There was also a 011a speedlite and power winder (not worth much I guess).

if its worth much I could try and sell it for him. Otherwise I'll rip the mount off and try to put a pentax one on it (yea, I know the flange distance problem, if it's worth next to nothing, who cares if I trash it trying).

In case you didn't guess, I have a pentax so I'm familiar with cameras and lenses but not canon (and I know fd is a dead mount).

They are actually very popular with owners of m4/3 cameras. They are very high quality and easy to adapt.
--
Brian Schneider

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads