Canon T3 / 1100D or Nikon D3100

Started Jul 2, 2011 | Discussions
mc224
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Canon T3 / 1100D or Nikon D3100
Jul 2, 2011

I know this question must have been asked a thousand times, but I need your help.

I planning on buying my very first DSLR and I am having trouble choosing between the Canon T3 / 1100D and the Nikon D3100.

I have used some in the past (rented it at school), but never had to buy one.

I am an architecture student and I am going on an exchange for a year in Europe, which means I will shoot more landscape and buildings than portraits. It also means that I am on a kinda-tight budget, so the kit lens that comes with the D3100 or T3 will be the only one I'll use for the first year(s) or so.

I visited a few stores to get some advice, and one in particular said the Canon T3 was the better choice because the auto-focus on the D3100 won't work with all the Nikon Lenses. But like I said, I am not planning on buying a new lens in the next year so I don't know if it really applies to my situation...

So, tell me what you think : Canon T3 / 1100D or Nikon D3100 ?

dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,595
Like?
Re: Canon T3 / 1100D or Nikon D3100
In reply to mc224, Jul 2, 2011

mc224 wrote:

I know this question must have been asked a thousand times, but I need your help.

I planning on buying my very first DSLR and I am having trouble choosing between the Canon T3 / 1100D and the Nikon D3100.

I am an architecture student and I am going on an exchange for a year in Europe, which means I will shoot more landscape and buildings than portraits. It also means that I am on a kinda-tight budget, so the kit lens that comes with the D3100 or T3 will be the only one I'll use for the first year(s) or so.

I visited a few stores to get some advice, and one in particular said the Canon T3 was the better choice because the auto-focus on the D3100 won't work with all the Nikon Lenses. But like I said, I am not planning on buying a new lens in the next year so I don't know if it really applies to my situation...

It is true that the D3100 will not auto focus some of Nikon's older AF lenses. This isn't usually a problem because Nikon has updated almost their entire lens lineup to be able to AF on the D3100. In general this is not something that most people buying one of these cameras needs to consider.

In your case, however, your desire to shoot landscapes and architechure usually calls for a wide angle lens. If you can't afford a new one right now you might be well served looking for a used one. If you do decide to go this route the Canon might have a better selection of used WA lenses that will auto focus on your intended body.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rick880
Regular MemberPosts: 477
Like?

Either camera body can go a long way for your purpose. Since you will be stuck with the kit lens for the first year, compare the kit lenses and buy the one that has better performance at the wide end. (Don't worry about the deficiency of some older Nikon AF lens compatibility unless you already have one and you don't.) If you use tripod, you probably don't want to overlook that D3100 doesn't have mirror lock-up. However D3100 has other advantages for what you want to do. The same 18-55mm lens is wider on D3100 due to x1.5 crop factor, instead of Canon's x1.6. Not that much but every little bit helps. Also buildings, more than likely, need distortion correction and the extra 2mp of D3100 may help too.

justmeMN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,399
Like?

I think the Nikon D3100 doesn't include automatic exposure bracketing or depth-of-field preview; if that's important to you.

ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,437
Like?
In reply to justmeMN, Jul 3, 2011

AEB may or may not be useful, it is somewhat overrated in my view, you only really need it for HDR and most people's HDR venture is more of a "been there done that" thing.

DOF preview is completely useless because the OVF that is installed by default does not show accurate DOF at all, 1 out of maybe every 10,000 peole bother to purchase the seperate OVF that does actually show DOF, it is unpopular because it is darker.

D3100 has better IQ than 1100D in every aspect - colour depth, DR, resolution, etc... and third party lenses are wider on D3100 than they are on 1100D.

aayushjoshi
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, Jul 3, 2011

Sailing in the same boat as of now and would make a decision by tomorrow. Went to the store and tried out both of them. The Nikon feels better in the hand to hold. However as rightly pointed out the cheap primes wont AF on Nikon, thats something i am considering as i would be buying the 50mm along with the kit lens.

aratos
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, Jul 3, 2011

i will never buy a camera without AEB. It is one of the best ways to get the right exposure quickly.
--
aratos

iancrowe
Contributing MemberPosts: 995
Like?
In reply to Rick880, Jul 3, 2011

Rick880 wrote:

If you use tripod, you probably don't want to overlook that D3100 doesn't have mirror lock-up.

Neither does the 1100D but you can circumvent that by using liveview mode.

Rick880
Like?
In reply to iancrowe, Jul 3, 2011

iancrowe wrote:

Neither does the 1100D but you can circumvent that by using liveview mode.

That is new to me. I have not paid much attention to 1100D's spec. and just assume it , like its predecessor 1000D, has mirror lock-up.

aayushjoshi
Like?
In reply to Rick880, Jul 4, 2011

Is not having the MLU a dealbreaker, can someone shed some light for us novices on this? I was thinking of ordering today but have paused to know some more.

beagle1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,647
Like?
In reply to mc224, Jul 4, 2011

The T2i (550D) has more features and better "IQ" than the Nikon D3100 but either one will probably suffice
http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2010/05/camera-test-canon-eos-rebel-t2i

mc224 wrote:

ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,437
Like?
In reply to aayushjoshi, Jul 4, 2011

aayushjoshi wrote:

Is not having the MLU a dealbreaker, can someone shed some light for us novices on this? I was thinking of ordering today but have paused to know some more.

MLU is not a big deal at all, it is only rarely used for long exposures, it helps to reduce camera vibration. but without your image will be more than 95% as good.

I{ used MLU a few times when i first learnt about it in my 1000D, since then never had to use it again.

aayushjoshi
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, Jul 4, 2011

thanks utlimitsu, i guess i will proceed with the 1100d then!

aayushjoshi
Like?
In reply to aayushjoshi, Jul 5, 2011

Ordered my Canon 1100d with basic kit lens for 580AU$ today

mc224
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to mc224, Jul 5, 2011

I finally decided to go with the Nikon D3100. Hope I made a good choice.

Thank guys !

Rick880
Like?
In reply to mc224, Jul 6, 2011

Either one will be a good choice. Enjoy it.

teddyilagan
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
In reply to Rick880, Jul 6, 2011

I think you should also consider the T1i/500d price and specs are close or even better on these two products though it's an old product.

aayushjoshi
Like?
In reply to teddyilagan, Jul 6, 2011

The 500d is selling for the same price as a 550d atleast here in Oz, so it was out of the question.

tnnd
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
Canon T3 / 1100D
In reply to mc224, Jul 7, 2011

because, later on if you decide to move up, Canon offers the wonderful TS-E 24 and 17 newer lenses, perfect for architecture.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads