Wow, Oly wipes the floor with Panasonic!

Started Jun 30, 2011 | Discussions
NuFonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 2,211
Like?
Jun 30, 2011

The E-P3 is what i want in M4/3

I never expected Panasonic to go downhill so fast with its models and Olympus taking the system in the right direction alone.

With bodies AND lenses!

I may think about staying with M4/3 and switching over to Olumpus.

-- hide signature --

What´s that noise?

From one of the Canon Forums:

'I just came back from my first holiday with the 5D II (I think my wife was there as well). '

Pelao
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Re: Wow, Oly wipes the floor with Panasonic!
In reply to NuFonaut, Jun 30, 2011

Um, and Panasonic has gone down how?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,386Gear list
Like?

theres always a leap-frogging effect with staggered product launches.. oly is riding high today, but, overall i dont think pana is downhill by any means.

the 12/2 and 45/1.8 are niche lenses.. i doubt the 45 will be any better than an adapted 50/1.8 for $60

NuFonaut wrote:

I never expected Panasonic to go downhill so fast with its models and Olympus taking the system in the right direction alone.

With bodies AND lenses!

-- hide signature --

What´s that noise?

'I just came back from my first holiday with the 5D II (I think my wife was there as well). '

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
NuFonaut
Like?
In reply to Pelao, Jun 30, 2011

All of Panasonics latest rangefinder-type cameras are watered down and uninteresting imo.

The G3 is not bad but it's still too big for me

I'm only interested in something like a new GF1 or now the EP3. It would be great if the E-P3 had a new sensor though.

Pelao wrote:

Um, and Panasonic has gone down how?

-- hide signature --

What´s that noise?

Hans Gruber
Contributing MemberPosts: 877
Like?
In reply to Jogger, Jun 30, 2011

The adapted 50's sluggish focus will be trounced by the new 45. Which I want. Today. But if money is a factor, the 50 is a fine picture taker.

NuFonaut
Like?

It will have AF, for rangefinder-style cameras, people like me who use them without extra EVF and for discrete street and travel shooting (thats what i use these cameras mainly for) shooting that's all the difference in the world.

Jogger wrote:

the 12/2 and 45/1.8 are niche lenses.. i doubt the 45 will be any better than an adapted 50/1.8 for $60

Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,723Gear list
Like?
Did they? did you check the g3 samples vs EP3?

Do they still look like they are wiping the floor with Panasonic?

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,193
Like?
Very unexpected
In reply to Raist3d, Jun 30, 2011

I really thought we were going to see a big difference with Oly pulling way ahead in jpegs. It is abundantly clear now just how much Panasonic worked on the jpeg engine. still some more color work (saturation at higher ISO's) to work on but wow what a surprise. Especially surprising would be to compare the shots reducing the Panny by 25% to account for those extra pixels.
--
terry

Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,544Gear list
Like?
Re: Did they? did you check the g3 samples vs EP3?
In reply to Raist3d, Jun 30, 2011

Total let down as far as I'm concerned. I wanted a better sensor and built in EVF. They have what, 6 bodies now and other then a mild tweak they are all about the same. Please give us some variety, not everyone wants some retro thing that's almost the same as the last one.

Oh well, at least I'm not tempted to buy one and can use the money for something else.

VARIETY!!!

-- hide signature --

It's easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission.

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
453C
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620Gear list
Like?
Re: Please, not this.

NuFonaut wrote:

With bodies AND lenses!

And so it begins.

2011 is a good year for m43.
Can't we all be happy about that and leave the Gear Wars somewhere else?
--
http://453c.smugmug.com/

453C's gear list:453C's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,193Gear list
Like?

Will the 50 f/1.8 have AF?

Jogger wrote:

theres always a leap-frogging effect with staggered product launches.. oly is riding high today, but, overall i dont think pana is downhill by any means.

NuFonaut wrote:

With bodies AND lenses!

-- hide signature --

What´s that noise?

-- hide signature --

Like others here, I suffer from chronic GAS.
Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
a few hundred nautical miles SW : 17º 52S, 149º 56W

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +4 more
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,611Gear list
Like?
Does Panasonic still have "inferior" skin tones in jpegs?

All reviews criticize Panasonic for having sub-optimal skin tones in jpegs. Olympus is praised in that regard.

To me, skin tones in jpegs is the most important part of a camera. By far. Nothing like sickly yellow family pictures from your $ 1000 4/3rds camera.

RAW must be used by 1% of camera users maybe 2%.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
DirkL
Regular MemberPosts: 359Gear list
Like?

'Wiping the floor with Panny' is stupid fanboy talk we don't
need in the m4/3 community.

EP-3 is very nice indeed. Oly addressed all the gripes I had with its
previous models. My guess is the sensor is also very good.
Let's hope these new cameras and lenses will sell well, Oly needs
that.

Willgo
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?
+1 (NT)
In reply to DirkL, Jun 30, 2011
-- hide signature --

Paul

Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,022Gear list
Like?
IQ wise it is vice versa judging from JPEG

ISO 1600 not usable it seems. On the G3, ISO 3200 looks even better. And Oly is know from exaggerating their ISO ratings...

Other than that: the AF is quite an accomplishment and the IQ other than ISO is may be very...Oly-ish (for many this means excellent).

Nice cams indeed.

But wiping the floor depens on your needs I think. I think of all m43 the G3 is much more of an accomplishment. So as they say: YMMV.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Bluephotons
Senior MemberPosts: 2,582Gear list
Like?
Re: +2 (NT)
In reply to Willgo, Jun 30, 2011
-- hide signature --

Bluephotons
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. Bob Dylan

Bluephotons's gear list:Bluephotons's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,022Gear list
Like?
Portraits and no AF or peaking is many failures.

I have an adapted Canon1.4 FD at 70 euro's. Very nice. But in crowds you miss so many shots, it ain't funny. And at f1.4 it is super soft (internal reflections are the cause). You need to go to f2 and it is really sharp at f4 or so.
Oly lenses tend to be sharp wide open.

Anyway: AF is essential to me and I happily pay 400 dollar for that lens if it provides good overall performance. A good to excellent lens comes at a price. Lets hope it delivers. Because I rather pay 400 dollars for a lens that actually gives me a lot keepers instead of a lens that gives me a good casual portrait every once in while.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
eadrian75
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?

NuFonaut wrote:

With bodies AND lenses!

I sold all my m43 gear about 6 months ago and jumped ship to PENTAX K7. No regrets as i'm having great fun with their limited primes, except for one regret ... selling my 20 f1.7!

This new EP3 is exciting and now hate to think about having to rebuild m43 system. I'd like to see just how fast the auto focus is, since that's one reason for leaving in the first place; was more than happy with IQ.

eadrian75's gear list:eadrian75's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha 7
Allan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Re: Did they? did you check the g3 samples vs EP3?
In reply to Mike Ronesia, Jun 30, 2011

Agreed. I'm not blown away with any of the new Oly bodies. And although Olympus' menus look prettier and now have helpful explanatory text, they remain unnecessarily convoluted and are still an unmitigated mess IMO. YMMV.

And what's up with the mediocre studio scene JPG samples? I thought Oly's OOC JPGs were one of the best in the business. I guess we'll have to wait until we can see some ACR converted RAW samples to really see what's going on there.

I do admit that the new Oly lenses look pretty sweet, however.

Mike Ronesia wrote:

Total let down as far as I'm concerned. I wanted a better sensor and built in EVF. They have what, 6 bodies now and other then a mild tweak they are all about the same. Please give us some variety, not everyone wants some retro thing that's almost the same as the last one.

Oh well, at least I'm not tempted to buy one and can use the money for something else.

VARIETY!!!

-- hide signature --

It's easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission.

Allan's gear list:Allan's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Fujifilm X-A1 +4 more
mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,614
Like?

Well, fast AF is really nice, especially for a portrait lens when you are shooting moving people with shallow DOF.

Yes, I think they're kind of gouging us on price, but they did make those new lenses look worth that money (take a look at a Canon 50/1.8 MKII and tell me the 45/1.8 is in the same class! And I actually like the Canon... but it hardly has the class that the new Oly lenses seem to have).

I'm more interested in the 12/2, but don't see myself shelling out $800 for one... hoping that they bundle it with an E-P3 down the road and I can buy then... after prices drop... no huge hurry.

Jogger wrote:

NuFonaut wrote:

With bodies AND lenses!

-- hide signature --

What´s that noise?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads