Wedding- IF ONE LENS only which one?

Started Jun 27, 2011 | Discussions
johnparas11zenfoliodotcom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,207Gear list
Like?
Wedding- IF ONE LENS only which one?
Jun 27, 2011

Let's pretend, you have 2 camera bodies (one is the back up) ..
and you will only have one lens.. what would be the best choice?

would the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 be enough?
or the more expensive nikon 24-70 f/2.8

is there any fast zoom available?

thanks all..
--
http://www.johnparas11.zenfolio.com

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list:johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D90 Nikon D300S Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 +6 more
PenguinPhotoCo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,144Gear list
Like?
Re: Wedding- IF ONE LENS only which one?
In reply to johnparas11zenfoliodotcom, Jun 27, 2011

This is a stupid question for a pro forum.

You should never shoot a wedding or anything really, without backup - that includes a spare body, flash and main lens -and anything else you deem essential to do the job.

If you only have one lens you are not ready to shoot a wedding.

As to which lens to use - so much depends on your style of shooting - some photogs shoot wide open all day and prefer primes but a 2.8 zoom will do, others shoot at 5.6 all day long so even a cheap mid grade zoom is fine. If you pose every shot then focus speed is unimportant.

We don't know how you shoot, only you do. If you don't know then you're not quite ready to shoot a wedding solo.

I bring 7 lenses in my bag and my assistant as 3 more (duplicates of some of what is in my bag). Most weddings I'll use 5 of the 7. I could shoot a wedding with one lens but why would I do that? That's not my style, not my product. YMMV.
--
If I knew how to take a good picture I'd do it every time.

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Thomas Kolenich
Senior MemberPosts: 2,055Gear list
Like?

What are you using it for? General photography or work assignments?

Tom Kolenich

Thomas Kolenich's gear list:Thomas Kolenich's gear list
Nikon D3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +7 more
johnparas11zenfoliodotcom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,207Gear list
Like?
In reply to Thomas Kolenich, Jun 27, 2011

to the first commenter..

I said.. LET's PRETEND!!

you guys.. need to chill hahahah

let us just say.. if you will only use one lens for a wedding say 80- 100 guests only..

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list:johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D90 Nikon D300S Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 +6 more
Biggs23
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,623Gear list
Like?

Not enough information to even pretend. For some weddings/churches it would be a 24-70mm f/2.8, for other an 85mm f/1.4, and for still others it would be a 70-200mm f/2.8.

So the answer is... it depends.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
MrPhotoBob
Senior MemberPosts: 2,704
Like?

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom wrote:

thanks all..
--

I have used the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 in my shooting of weddings quite often, but I always seem to come up short on the long end. As you said, lets pretend that I only have one lens to use I would go with something like a 24-120 which I have used as a back up in the past and there are times inwhich I still have came up short with that lens on the long end.

MrPhotoBob
Like?
In reply to PenguinPhotoCo, Jun 27, 2011

Too many people take this forum too seriously; they seem to think that this forum is the holy bible. That person did say just pretend along with them, so if you are not able to pretend with that person and go along with their ideas, you should move on to something that is of more interest to you. Lighten up some….

lbuclk=
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,538Gear list
Like?

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom wrote:

thanks all..
--

17-85mm for a working distance of 15-25 feet, & 70-200mm if necessary for close ups during the ceremony.

-- hide signature --

28 years as a freelancer,(news,magazine, wedding photography) camera equip. over the years: Practica MLT, Canon A1, Minolta 9xi, 7xi, Dimage Z1,Fuji 5200,Canon S2,Pentax K100D,Olympus 380,Canon SX 10, Canon 40D ( http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v104/Buckl/ )
http://issuu.com/Lbuck

lbuclk='s gear list:lbuclk='s gear list
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
slowhands
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,470Gear list
Like?

The 24-70 f2.8 Sigma (on Canon) was my lens purchase after the 1st body+kit and 2nd body w/o kit. For me, it's my workhorse.

For some weddings, it's not wide enough on crop camera... are the pretend 2 bodies FF?

For some weddings, it's not long enough on crop camera... are the pretend bodies FF?
For some weddings, it's not fast enough or quiet enough... etc...

The only wedding I did not visit the venue ahead of time or the rehersal...was a Justice of the Peace ceremony that was done in the Judge's chambers.

If I could have ONE lens for pretend weddings, on crop or FF body, it would have to be the ever affordable 10-200 f1.4 IS. Of course, I'd really want TWO at any price.

slowhands's gear list:slowhands's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D
PenguinPhotoCo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,144Gear list
Like?
Are we 10 years old?
In reply to MrPhotoBob, Jun 27, 2011

My kids pretend.

I"m a serious professional - what is the need or reason to 'pretend I can only take one lens to a wedding'?????

If that's what you do with your free time you are either rich and bored, 10 years old, or an idiot.

-- hide signature --

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Daro31
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?

Just shot a wedding on the weekend, had a 24-105 Canon on a 5DmkII body, full frame. I also took my 70-200 2.8L on another body, and a 17-40L in my bag. At the end of the day the 24-105 covered 97% of the day, and other then the really wide angle of the church with the back of everyone who attendeds head, and a couple of long shots of the couple in a private moment, the 24 -105 did the job. I doubt those real wide or long lenses really pay for themselves as far as the bride is concerned. My vote after shooting several hundred weddings since days when I carried a Mamiya RB67 with 4 lenses as a wedding kit, get a wide to medium telephoto and concentrate on the event not your equipment. You guys who never shot mediun format changing film every 10 shots or 20 if you where rich enough for a 220 back don't know how good you have it.

Daro31's gear list:Daro31's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 SF Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
lbuclk=
Like?
Re: Are we 10 years old?

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

My kids pretend.

I"m a serious professional - what is the need or reason to 'pretend I can only take one lens to a wedding'?????

If that's what you do with your free time you are either rich and bored, 10 years old, or an idiot.

-- hide signature --

A couple of tablets of Immodium would help you the most with your "professional" discomfort.

-- hide signature --

28 years as a freelancer,(news,magazine, wedding photography) camera equip. over the years: Practica MLT, Canon A1, Minolta 9xi, 7xi, Dimage Z1,Fuji 5200,Canon S2,Pentax K100D,Olympus 380,Canon SX 10, Canon 40D ( http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v104/Buckl/ )

MrPhotoBob
Like?

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

My kids pretend.

-- hide signature --

You are a serious professional and you get this upset over a forum, maybe you are an amateur thinking that you are a professional.... As for your kids, you say that they pretend, do you get upset and stomp your feet when they ask you a pretended question? Now you are so upset over this forum that you are even to the point of calling people names. What a pity…..

As for what I am, I am a human on this earth trying not to go so upset just because someone asked a simple question.

MrPhotoBob
Like?
In reply to lbuclk=, Jun 27, 2011

lbuclk= wrote:

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

My kids pretend.

-- hide signature --

A couple of tablets of Immodium would help you the most with your "professional" discomfort.

I have to laugh on that one, that is really a good answer for him.... Lol...

-- hide signature --

Im Kirk
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?
In reply to Daro31, Jun 28, 2011

For my non-full frame, I use my Canon 17-85 zoom for everything.

lukeleenz
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
In reply to johnparas11zenfoliodotcom, Jun 28, 2011

As a photographer who hasn't had much finance and not many gears to start off with,

I would go with nikon 24-70 f2.8 if I only can take 1 lens.

But like almost everyone said in this post, wedding with 1 lens even without backup lens?
Might be ok for slow moments where I can get ready with no hurry but,
I don't know if I can handle the fast pacing moments.
And evey moment is so important if you are getting paid for the job.

And I didn't really get annoyed by this post by the way.

I think priotising gears is quite important as there are times that you just can't take everything.

lukeleenz's gear list:lukeleenz's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Forum ProPosts: 10,006
Like?
In reply to PenguinPhotoCo, Jun 28, 2011

Gotta agree. It's a silly premise and I, too, do not understand the purpose of it. It's irrelevant as an academic exercise, and pointless as a theoretical one.

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

My kids pretend.

-- hide signature --

Shaun Bell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,266Gear list
Like?
Get the new 14-400 1.4 Nikkor! NT
In reply to johnparas11zenfoliodotcom, Jun 28, 2011

Bawahahaha, soccer mom!

http://www.paphotographics.com

Shaun Bell's gear list:Shaun Bell's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D3X +10 more
lbuclk=
Like?
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, Jun 28, 2011

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Gotta agree. It's a silly premise and I, too, do not understand the purpose of it. It's irrelevant as an academic exercise, and pointless as a theoretical one.

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

My kids pretend.

-- hide signature --

Another form of the "if you were stranded on a deserted island..who would you like to be with, or what piece of survival gear,or food if you could have only one" question, really not hard to understand, that question has been around for decades.

-- hide signature --

7DVancouverite
Contributing MemberPosts: 533
Like?
In reply to lbuclk=, Jun 28, 2011

I'm taking the bait and I'm answering...

85 f1.8 EF mount...

Awesome Value lens...I have 2 of 'em and would put one on my 7D and the other on my new (to me) 5D Classic...

-- hide signature --

Vancouver Based Live Music, Environmental Portrait Photographer...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads