Sigma SD1 sample photos

Started Jun 26, 2011 | Discussions
nick_webster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660
Like?
For Robert F. - Are you in flat view ?
In reply to Robert F. Tobler, Jun 27, 2011

There have been links to 2 sets of pictures - the first, in the OP, have a max resolution of 1024x683 which is the set he was referring to. The advice you give is valid for the 2nd set of pictures.

If you're in flat view you maybe missed which post he was replying to

Nick

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DaSigmaGuy
Forum ProPosts: 12,275Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma SD1 vs Canon 5D Mark II (landscape)
In reply to olimpero, Jun 27, 2011

olimpero wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hcb01147/

OK, my impressions of the SD1 sample vs the 5DmkII sample...The framing is not the same. The SD1 is aimed noticably more towards the left, the Canon more towards the right.

The SD1 sample has noticable CA, at bottom right of frame, the Canon sample has none.

The SD1 sample, which has no AA filter is almost as soft as the Canon sample, which has an AA filter!...We all know about SPP5's built in noise reduction and how it can soften an image...Looks like it was turned up to the max in this case!

Obviously both will be somewhat soft because of the zoom lenses used, but there is no excuse for the foliage on the far bank in the Sigma sample at left of frame looking so soft and almost identically "nutella" like as in the Canon sample.

There appears to be more haze in the Canon sample, which shows it may have been taken at a different date...Either that or the Sigma zoom simply has more contrast than the Canon zoom.

The SD1 sample has a fraction more detail, but only a fraction, and you have to look very close to see the difference.

As for the DP2 sample...Its obvious the DP2 lens is'nt as wide as the zooms used in the SD1 or Canon samples...The DP1 would have been a better choice for such a comparison. The NEX framing is slightly wider than the DP2 sample and the background is noticably softer that in the DP2 sample too...The DP2 sample has the best looking foliage on the far bank at left of frame of all four samples, though there is much less difference between the two in the closer foliage at the bottom of both samples.

The NEX sample is noticably larger in size than the DP2 sample, but not necessarily any more detailed.

I'm not really seeing a huge resolution advantage of the SD1 over the DP2...But again the focal lengths used were not identical so its hard to do a direct comparison.

Although amateurish in its conduction this is still one of the best SD1 comparsions I've seen so far.

DaSigmaGuy's gear list:DaSigmaGuy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +25 more
PaulParis
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?

oh thanks, I see, can separate the photos now..

PaulParis
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?

This is a meaningful comparison, thanks to Murakami.

The SD1 and DP2 have the best rendering of clouds, but overall sharpness is better at DP2, the SD1 has unsharpness in the corners and the edges, also CA. The glass is clearly not up to the sensor.
The differences between Can5D and Nex aren't big, it seems Nex is up to Can5D.

Overall you can say that in this comparison the differences between Foveon and Bayer aren't that big.

rf-design
Regular MemberPosts: 112Gear list
Like?
In reply to PaulParis, Jun 27, 2011

Very useful comparison.

The lens for the 5DMKII should be a 24-70/2.8. That match the 17-50/2.8 lens of the SD1.

The aperture should be set to 5.6 at the APS-C and 8.0 at the FF to be geometric equivalent. The effect that the aperture for the highest resolution of the lens shift starting from lower values around 4.0 for high quality 3/4 lenses to about 5.6 for APS-C and about 8.0 for FF up to about 11 for MF and higher for large format lenses has to do with the geometrical precision of the construction. This is not equal to mechanical tolerances because of the lens manufacturing and assembly. An optical construction increases the resolution with increase in aperture value up to the point where diffraction takes place. The diffraction is not tight to any lens geometry. So the crossing point where the maximum resolution appears shift up in aperture value with the absolute dimension of the lens.

So that is the reason to compare a APS-C lens at 5.6 with a FF lens at 8.0

But! Because of additional mechanical tolerances every misalignment of manufacturing tolerance have about 1.5 more impact on a APS-C lens. So in practice a fair comparison would be between 0 and 1 stop more for the FF lens.

Beside this I could clearly see that the pixel level contrast is significant higher for the SD1. That lead to the obvious effect that you could see staircases on the edges of the bridge frames. The 5DMKII does not show sharp staircases at 100% on the screen.

Now if you upscale the SD1 image by 200% ( I done this in Xnview) the image is significant more sharp w/o staircases at 50% in comparison to 100% for the 5DMKII.

rf-design's gear list:rf-design's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sony SLT-A57 +34 more
rlpruitt
Contributing MemberPosts: 928
Like?
+1
In reply to DaSigmaGuy, Jun 27, 2011

DaSigmaGuy wrote:

SNIP

The SD1 sample, which has no AA filter is almost as soft as the Canon sample, which has an AA filter!...We all know about SPP5's built in noise reduction and how it can soften an image...Looks like it was turned up to the max in this case!

SNIP

The SD1 sample has a fraction more detail, but only a fraction, and you have to look very close to see the difference.

SNIP

Although amateurish in its conduction this is still one of the best SD1 comparsions I've seen so far.

Agree on all counts.

If this is anywhere close to the SD1's capabilities, Sigma should be embarrassed for - and will likely be ridiculed as a result of - positioning this camera against medium format offerings.

As a member of the huge contingent that was hoping Sigma would knock this one out of the park, I'm very disappointed in what Sigma has done. Instead of a home run, they've managed only a triple. Still, they want to add 2 runs to their score!

Ralph

PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,904Gear list
Like?
Exceptional, indeed...
In reply to petr marek, Jun 27, 2011

petr marek wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sasurau/page2/

OK, I believe it´s a camera, which can take exceptional photos, slowly, with limitations, for very high price, but exceptional. And I just hope now it´s time to upgrade SD15 and DP series for thousands of ordinary users and Foveon fans, which can´t or don´t want to spend so much money. I think 6-8(x3) mpx Foveon camera with better low light and speed performance would be just fine...

I especially like this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sasurau/5862363803/lightbox/

...this way too funny...I was going through the photos, going "crappy, crappy, crappy..." when, gradually, they actually started to improve and somewhat make an impression...it just happened that, without noticing, I had left the SD1 ones and was starting looking at DP1, DP2 and Nikon ones...lol...

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

Central Scrutinizer
Contributing MemberPosts: 609
Like?
Re: Are you serious?
In reply to cinefeel, Jun 27, 2011

cinefeel wrote:

And, to the user who said use adobe RGB:

that does work much better than sRGB export but there are still bugs with it. there currently appears to be no way to get the colors to match the embedded jpeg properly.

Yes there is, Use a windows PC!

I know it's not a very palatable solution, I'm just saying.

With the money saved not buying a Mac people would be closer to affording an SD1.

Disclaimer - No Macs were harmed during the creation of this post.

DaSigmaGuy
Like?
Re: Exceptional, indeed...
In reply to PhotoKhan, Jun 27, 2011

PhotoKhan wrote:

petr marek wrote:

OK, I believe it´s a camera, which can take exceptional photos, slowly, with limitations, for very high price, but exceptional. And I just hope now it´s time to upgrade SD15 and DP series for thousands of ordinary users and Foveon fans, which can´t or don´t want to spend so much money. I think 6-8(x3) mpx Foveon camera with better low light and speed performance would be just fine...

...this way too funny...I was going through the photos, going "crappy, crappy, crappy..." when, gradually, they actually started to improve and somewhat make an impression...it just happened that, without noticing, I had left the SD1 ones and was starting looking at DP1, DP2 and Nikon ones...lol...

PK

Er, you actually like that one? Its just a pic of a dirty grey tarp covering some scafolding...I dont see the appeal myself but I guess there is no accounting for personal taste in photography.

I want more SD1 samples with lots of fine detail and I want 100% crops of those samples so I can pixel peep them to death...Is that asking too much?

PhotoKhan
Like?
Re: Exceptional, indeed...
In reply to DaSigmaGuy, Jun 27, 2011

DaSigmaGuy wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

petr marek wrote:

PK

Er, you actually like that one? Its just a pic of a dirty grey tarp covering some scafolding...I dont see the appeal myself but I guess there is no accounting for personal taste in photography.

I want more SD1 samples with lots of fine detail and I want 100% crops of those samples so I can pixel peep them to death...Is that asking too much?

Rats...how do I convey irony with this keyboard?...there must be a key here, somewhere...

(...I did write " crappy, crappy, crappy " though...)

PK

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

PhotoKhan
Like?
...I also especially like this one:
In reply to PhotoKhan, Jun 27, 2011

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sasurau/5869731296/sizes/l/in/photostream/

I wonder if it could have be taken with anything costing less than $6,899.00...

( )

PK
--
(PBase Supporter)

PhotoKhan
Like?
Re: better pics from Bob

olimpero wrote:

check this link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobnl/

Ahh... the " ever-so-beautiful " blonde/magenta hair...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobnl/5876281747/sizes/l/in/photostream/

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

PhotoKhan
Like?
Re: Sigma SD1 sample photos
In reply to apoc, Jun 27, 2011

apoc wrote:

It's something i don't get. A new camera comes out and aparently NOBODY is able to takke good samples to let other people study them.

It's beginning to look like the " technical blunder of the century " on top of the " commercial blunder of the century ", isn't it?

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

PhotoKhan
Like?
In reply to cinefeel, Jun 27, 2011

cinefeel wrote:

fact:

pixel peeping is a disease.

Yes it is but this $6,899.00 joke is hardly the cure.

wait for my samples, which i will post as soon as the color bugs are resolved. i can guarantee that the SD1 is much sharper than any previous sigma.

You've established that this is a $6,899.00 " color buggy " product...we already got that several days ago.

While we (and you) wait can we see some B&W " APS-C for $6,899.00 " jaw dropping photos, please?

...and while we wait might I remind you that the bar has been put at " an alternative to very expensive medium-format cameras and digital backs " by Sigma, themselves, not " much sharper than any previous sigma ".

Let's try not to re-write history so early in the game, shall we?

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

ljbf
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to PhotoKhan, Jun 28, 2011

Throwing my two cents in. I have an SD1 for testing now. For Sigma's sake, I hope my camera is defective, otherwise Sigma is in big trouble. I have compared it to a Nikon D7000 and the Nikon is a better camera! Sigma needs to perfect this camera before bringing it out, especially if they want to charge such a high price.

Problem areas: white balance problems, color casting and inaccurate color, poor high ISO performance, focusing screen is coarse and somewhat dim making it difficult to get sharp focus, auto focus not reliable, slow operation, shutter not as smooth as Nikon's and body not as rigid = hard to get sharp images at slower shutter speeds (

I think Sigma may have crammed too many pixels into a small sensor. They probably should have made it 8 mp. Hopefully they can fix the problems soon or they are in trouble (unless my camera is defective).

Hope this helps. By the way, I did not spend the time to try to fix the IQ problems through processing. These were impressions of straight from the camera RAW and jpegs as compared to Nikon's.

In general, IMO 35mm film is better and medium format film is much better. I was hoping this camera could compete with film. Maybe the next iteration...

GrahamJohn
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?
In reply to petr marek, Jun 28, 2011

The foveon sensor and this photographer are one of the most synergistic matches I have seen in a long time. Exquisite eye.

GrahamJohn's gear list:GrahamJohn's gear list
Sigma DP1s Olympus PEN E-PL2
DaSigmaGuy
Like?
In reply to GrahamJohn, Jun 28, 2011

GrahamJohn wrote:

The foveon sensor and this photographer are one of the most synergistic matches I have seen in a long time. Exquisite eye.

I'm glad to see sarcasm is'nt dead!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads