Sigma SD1 sample photos

Started Jun 26, 2011 | Discussions
petr marek
Regular MemberPosts: 173Gear list
Like?
Sigma SD1 sample photos
Jun 26, 2011

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sasurau/page2/

OK, I believe it´s a camera, which can take exceptional photos, slowly, with limitations, for very high price, but exceptional. And I just hope now it´s time to upgrade SD15 and DP series for thousands of ordinary users and Foveon fans, which can´t or don´t want to spend so much money. I think 6-8(x3) mpx Foveon camera with better low light and speed performance would be just fine...

cinefeel
Contributing MemberPosts: 860
Like?
Re: Sigma SD1 sample photos
In reply to petr marek, Jun 27, 2011

great photographs!

shame that they are still tainted by the SPP color-space bug if you look closely. these could look even better and richer- hope sigma fix it soon!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BuckieJoe
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
Re: Sigma SD1 sample photos
In reply to petr marek, Jun 27, 2011

Again, his photos cap at 1024. What's the point? ANY camera is good at 1024.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
apoc
Regular MemberPosts: 426
Like?
Re: Sigma SD1 sample photos
In reply to BuckieJoe, Jun 27, 2011

It's something i don't get. A new camera comes out and aparently NOBODY is able to takke good samples to let other people study them.

BuckieJoe wrote:

Again, his photos cap at 1024. What's the point? ANY camera is good at 1024.

-- hide signature --

Sorry about my english, it's not my first language.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chris Donnet
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
Re: Sigma SD1 sample photos
In reply to apoc, Jun 27, 2011

apoc wrote:

It's something i don't get. A new camera comes out and aparently NOBODY is able to takke good samples to let other people study them.

BuckieJoe wrote:

Again, his photos cap at 1024. What's the point? ANY camera is good at 1024.

-- hide signature --

Sorry about my english, it's not my first language.

I fully agree.

Still not a single simple landscape picture with a correct field of depth to see what this sensor is really able to do !!!

P.S. Are there no "8" or "11" settings on Sigma lenses ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
L Tippett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561
Like?
Re: Sigma SD1 sample photos
In reply to petr marek, Jun 27, 2011

Looks to be a good camera but it will be quite a long wait for me yet. Having said that the SD15 dosn't do that bad of job

Kind regards Lea.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vladimir Yanushkevich
Contributing MemberPosts: 821
Like?
Are you serious?
In reply to cinefeel, Jun 27, 2011

1024x683 max (and still lacking sharpness - e.g. calimari shot)
with ugly gren/magenta hallos? if that's great for you then what's terrible?

cinefeel wrote:

great photographs!

shame that they are still tainted by the SPP color-space bug if you look closely. these could look even better and richer- hope sigma fix it soon!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
olimpero
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
better pics from Bob
In reply to petr marek, Jun 27, 2011
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cinefeel
Contributing MemberPosts: 860
Like?
Re: Are you serious?
In reply to Vladimir Yanushkevich, Jun 27, 2011

As an SD1 user, it's obvious to me that the lack of sharpness is because of using excessive default noise reduction in SPP (which is not necessary).

Trust me, if there's one thing the SD1 does not lack- it's sharpness.

I will post extensive samples as soon as the color space bug is resolved.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
olimpero
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Sigma SD1 vs Canon 5D Mark II (landscape)
In reply to petr marek, Jun 27, 2011
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
apoc
Regular MemberPosts: 426
Like?
Re: Are you serious?
In reply to cinefeel, Jun 27, 2011

You can post them now. Use adobe RGB and then convert to sRGB via photoshop.

cinefeel wrote:

As an SD1 user, it's obvious to me that the lack of sharpness is because of using excessive default noise reduction in SPP (which is not necessary).

Trust me, if there's one thing the SD1 does not lack- it's sharpness.

I will post extensive samples as soon as the color space bug is resolved.

-- hide signature --

Sorry about my english, it's not my first language.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PaulParis
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma SD1 vs Canon 5D Mark II (landscape)
In reply to olimpero, Jun 27, 2011

good catch, but at original size (2561x1705) it's impossible to see any difference between the cameras, what's going on here? SD1 is equal to a DP2 or a Nex 5?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DaSigmaGuy
Forum ProPosts: 12,276Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma SD1 sample photos
In reply to petr marek, Jun 27, 2011

petr marek wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sasurau/page2/

OK, I believe it´s a camera, which can take exceptional photos, slowly, with limitations, for very high price, but exceptional. And I just hope now it´s time to upgrade SD15 and DP series for thousands of ordinary users and Foveon fans, which can´t or don´t want to spend so much money. I think 6-8(x3) mpx Foveon camera with better low light and speed performance would be just fine...

Never gonna happen...Sigma need to sell the SD1 or their wont be any future Sigma DSLRs...Problem is, at the current price they can only sell the SD1 in single digit sales figures, so Sigma have cut their own throats and the throats of their user base and potential user base alike.

But thats not their biggest problem though...Their biggest problem is they are Japanese and therefore they wont easily be able to accept the huge stigma of losing face that will occur if they drop the price to what they promised everyone it would be, just to make the SD1 sell well as they expected and indeed need...And their is'nt much chance of that happening anytime soon.

Looks like we are stuck with the cameras we have for several years yet, or we can simply choose to upgrade to another brand that does'nt treat its user base like a putrid dog turd, that there doing their best not to step in!

 DaSigmaGuy's gear list:DaSigmaGuy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
olimpero
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Re: Sigma SD1 vs Canon 5D Mark II (landscape)
In reply to PaulParis, Jun 27, 2011

PaulParis wrote:

good catch, but at original size (2561x1705) it's impossible to see any difference between the cameras, what's going on here? SD1 is equal to a DP2 or a Nex 5?

You have to view the pics bellow, click on each pic and select other sizes to view original sizes from all the cameras in the first pic

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DaSigmaGuy
Forum ProPosts: 12,276Gear list
Like?
Re: Are you serious?
In reply to Vladimir Yanushkevich, Jun 27, 2011

Vladimir Yanushkevich wrote:
1024x683 max (and still lacking sharpness - e.g. calimari shot)
with ugly gren/magenta hallos? if that's great for you then what's terrible?

cinefeel wrote:

great photographs!

shame that they are still tainted by the SPP color-space bug if you look closely. these could look even better and richer- hope sigma fix it soon!!

Sadly, more rubbish samples with a total lack of appeal to pixel peepers...No 100% crops so no way of knowing how much of a resolution increase we can expect over using our current Sigma cameras...And I have'nt seen an SD1 sample yet thats as sharp as shots from my SD14.

But the worst bit is the huge amount of green CA in the shots taken with the 85mm f1.4 EX...Thats supposed to be one of Sigma's best primes but it appears to suffer from CA far worse than most ultra cheap M42 lenses!
...A very poor show all round IMO.

-- hide signature --
 DaSigmaGuy's gear list:DaSigmaGuy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cinefeel
Contributing MemberPosts: 860
Like?
Re: Are you serious?
In reply to DaSigmaGuy, Jun 27, 2011

fact:

pixel peeping is a disease.

wait for my samples, which i will post as soon as the color bugs are resolved. i can guarantee that the SD1 is much sharper than any previous sigma.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cinefeel
Contributing MemberPosts: 860
Like?
Re: Are you serious?
In reply to cinefeel, Jun 27, 2011

And, to the user who said use adobe RGB:

that does work much better than sRGB export but there are still bugs with it. there currently appears to be no way to get the colors to match the embedded jpeg properly.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
calxn
Contributing MemberPosts: 797Gear list
Like?
That SD-1 shot does not look good
In reply to olimpero, Jun 27, 2011

To my eyes, there's something strange about that SD-1 photo. Not sure if it's the noise reduction or a color cast. The 5DII image looks much more contrasty and more color accurate.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robert F. Tobler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?
Download the original size before posting...
In reply to Vladimir Yanushkevich, Jun 27, 2011

Vladimir Yanushkevich wrote:

1024x683 max (and still lacking sharpness - e.g. calimari shot)
with ugly gren/magenta hallos? if that's great for you then what's terrible?

You can download the original size. Click on a photo, then on Actions > All Resolutions, then on original.

Greetings,
Robert

 Robert F. Tobler's gear list:Robert F. Tobler's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cinefeel
Contributing MemberPosts: 860
Like?
Re: That SD-1 shot does not look good
In reply to calxn, Jun 27, 2011

Yes, this is the color space bug.

There is also unneccesary noise reduction which SPP5 stupidly uses by default. SD1 images are given excessive noise reduction even at base iso, which destroys detail. with a good exposure the images are easily clean enough to turn it off completely, even at ISO 400.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads