Good, sharp and small prime - with adapter

Started Jun 23, 2011 | Discussions
mav2000
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
Good, sharp and small prime - with adapter
Jun 23, 2011

Hi guys,

I just got a Olympus 50 mm 1.4 for pretty cheap and got the adapter as well. Unluckily the adapter for the Om lens's is quite large and that kind of makes the whole setup a bit larger than I want for daily use.

So, which would be a good small size adapter +lens setup for a prime. Keep in mind that it needs to be cheap as I am only a started to the whole photography hobby and dont want to go all out before I am more comfortable.

davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 3,984
Like?
Re: Good, sharp and small prime - with adapter
In reply to mav2000, Jun 23, 2011

The stock 16mm.
--
Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Damovich
Contributing MemberPosts: 896
Like?
In reply to davect01, Jun 23, 2011

Yes, but its not that sharp wide open, from f/5.6 on and somewhat higher your good to go plus it comes with autofocus being a native lens.

davect01 wrote:

The stock 16mm.
--
Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

travfar
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?

Industar 69 + M39 adapter.

Pentax 110 24mm + 110 adapter.

A variety of C Mount lenses + c mount adapter.

boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,197Gear list
Like?
In reply to davect01, Jun 23, 2011

davect01 wrote:

The stock 16mm.
--

which adapter do you use with the 16mm?

One cheap option is a Russian Jupiter or Industar in L/M39 mount - it's one of the smallest adapter sizes. Industar build quality can be hit and miss, but good copies can be very good. My Industar-61 55mm 2.8 ($12 + $15 adapter) is a bit clunky to focus (not a re-lubricating issue as some have - some parts are a poor fit), but can take gorgeous photos:

Alan

PhillipA
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,505
Like?
Small, light and sharp ..

... the Olympus PEN-F lenses. Not that cheap though

40mm f1.4 on NEX5:

-- hide signature --

Judge: ' This image may be better in black and white - perhaps even just black! '

Damovich
Contributing MemberPosts: 896
Like?
In reply to boardsy, Jun 23, 2011

boardsy wrote:

Whahaha! priceless! cats are fantastic creatures

mav2000
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to Damovich, Jun 24, 2011

Thanks. I will play around with this for a bit and get back...

Michael J Hoffman
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?
In reply to mav2000, Jun 24, 2011

Voigtlander Color Skopar Classic 35mm f/2.5 with LTM (M39) to NEX adapter.

mjh
--

'One must always take photos with the greatest respect for the subject and for oneself.' Henri Cartier-Bresson

canllaith
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?
Re: Small, light and sharp ..
In reply to PhillipA, Jun 24, 2011

Gosh, you're right! Thank you!

My husband recently inherited a whole bunch of classic camera kit from his late father, and turned most of it over to me. Mostly Rokkor lenses that I snapped up greedily and use almost daily, but you mentioning the PEN-F reminded me that there was one in it and I've just gone and dug it out to find it has a 38mm F1.8 stuck to the front. I just ordered the adapter from Ebay - I had no idea it was so thin, but I guess the PEN-F system was designed to have the lens quite close to the mirror ?

http://t.co/jh2yw4r

canllaith's gear list:canllaith's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S
Alupang
Senior MemberPosts: 2,560
Like?
In reply to mav2000, Jun 24, 2011

Honestly if money is a problem, I just wouldn't go the rangefinder route. It's very hard to find good rangefinder glass (that mount to the nex with a shorter adapter) for cheap. I'd re-think my priorities and try to consider that shaving off just 16mm off an adapter is going to cost me:

1) Hundreds and hundreds of dollars
2) an additional 2 feet minimum focus

Consider that a Zeiss ZM C Biogon 35mm f2.8 costs $800 and a Canon FDn 35mm f2.8 can be found on ebay for $50. The ZM isn't worth 16 times the Canon, especially if money is a problem. BTW, I own both lenses.

jazzroy1972
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
In reply to Alupang, Jun 24, 2011

russian rangefinder lenses are cheap and good quality (for the price).

The M39 adapter is the smallest one, so picking a jupiter 50mm F2, or a Industar 50mm F2.8, or the Industar 50mm F3.5 pancake gives you the smallest Nex combo with a portrait lens.

..and a lot of vintage fashion...

Alupang
Like?
In reply to jazzroy1972, Jun 24, 2011

I dunno..I just have it in my head that the more evolved Canon FDn with its modern multi-coated and superior Japanese glass would wipe the floor with those Russian lenses.

John Bean (UK)
Forum ProPosts: 18,034
Like?
In reply to jazzroy1972, Jun 24, 2011

jazzroy1972 wrote:

russian rangefinder lenses are cheap and good quality (for the price).

The M39 adapter is the smallest one, so picking a jupiter 50mm F2, or a Industar 50mm F2.8, or the Industar 50mm F3.5 pancake gives you the smallest Nex combo with a portrait lens.

Nitpick: the Industar 50/3.5 is only a "pancake" in SLR-mount version. In rangefinder mount it's about the same size as the others - which is still small compared with SLR lenses of course.

If you want cheap and really small (for carrying purposes anyway) you can't do better than a I-22 or collapsible I-50.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [GMT+1 aka BST]

kaktusss
Regular MemberPosts: 393
Like?
In reply to Alupang, Jun 24, 2011

Alupang wrote:

I dunno..I just have it in my head that the more evolved Canon FDn with its modern multi-coated and superior Japanese glass would wipe the floor with those Russian lenses.

Of course they are better in term of IQ, but these tiny Russian lenses are probably the best price/quality/size/weight compromise.

I think they're far from bad I you can get good samples :

A few shots, no PP, 0 sharpening :

Wide open @ f2

Minimum focus distance after mod @f2.8

Auto-portrait

Not really a landscape lens but it can focus to infinity @f8

Alupang
Like?
In reply to kaktusss, Jun 24, 2011

kaktusss wrote:

Alupang wrote:

Of course they are better in term of IQ, but these tiny Russian lenses are probably the best price/quality/size/weight compromise.

I disagree but keep trying to sell me, I'm listening! The Canon FDn 35mm f2.8 weighs only 170g, costs about $50, has under 1 foot min focus and performance is on par with the best 35mms ever made. The only thing it gives up is about 1.5 cm of adapter length.

I think they're far from bad ....

I can agree with this...that they are far from bad. I do think they are very cool actually--I may snap one up to tinker with.

But still, the Canon FDn 35 isn't far from bad; it's state of the art sharp.

PhillipA
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,505
Like?
PEN-F on NEX
In reply to canllaith, Jun 25, 2011

A match made in photograhic heaven! I only have the 40mm f1.4, but it is wonderful, quite sharp wide open and extremely sharp at f2. I think that the 38 f1.8 will be similar.

I bought a cheap adapter for mine and it is quite well made - but the little arm on the adapter that engages the "stop-down" lever on the rear of the lens appears to be in the wrong place - not pushing the lens' lever fully around.

This means that turning the aperture ring past f5.6 doesn't stop the lens down any further. You can allow the lens to close down to the correct aperture by holding in the stop-down button on the rear of the lens - the other one that looks like the lens-release button.

You can check if your's is OK by mounting the lens on the adapter and closing the aperture ring while looking at the iris size through the lens,

I added a small piece of metal to the little arm on the adapter to make the edge of it each the right position to push the lens lever all the way.

I was luck enough to buy an original set of PEN-F extension tubes, and combining those with the 40mm gives me almost 1:1 magnification in a very small package.
--

Judge: ' This image may be better in black and white - perhaps even just black! '

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads