The World Camera!!!???

Started Jun 22, 2011 | Discussions
PipelineExplorer
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?
The World Camera!!!???
Jun 22, 2011

What camera setup would you take with you to travel the world. What lens and camera would you take. Must be interchangeable lens camera, Dslr or M4/3. What two lenses would you take with you. Whether it be pictures for national geographic close up or far way?!?! What is your ideal setup?

I would probably lean to the g3 or the d5100 but am unsure of the lens. it would probably be a pancake and a large telephoto. Then again i am new to photography and know nothing!!!

PipelineExplorer's gear list:PipelineExplorer's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100
PipelineExplorer
Like?
Re: The World Camera!!!???
In reply to PipelineExplorer, Jun 22, 2011

Also not in just cities but high up at machu pichu or in egypt photographing the sphinx or maybe down in a cave!!!

Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pocketpygmy
Contributing MemberPosts: 678Gear list
Like?

fun question. kinda how i got into m4/3 in the first place.

1 body and 2 lenses huh?

i traveled to india with the EPL1, 14-42 and 45-200 (used). i wouldn't say it was the ideal setup. more of a budget setup. instead, i'd probably do... the EP3 with 14-150 and the 9-18. low light be damned, i'd probably be passed out by dark anyway.

'course if i could tweak the rules a bit i'd add the xz-1. portable silent-shutter street-shooter and low light extraordinaire. that'd just about do it for me.

pocketpygmy's gear list:pocketpygmy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,623
Like?
In reply to pocketpygmy, Jun 22, 2011

pocketpygmy wrote:

fun question. kinda how i got into m4/3 in the first place.

1 body and 2 lenses huh?

i traveled to india with the EPL1, 14-42 and 45-200 (used). i wouldn't say it was the ideal setup. more of a budget setup. instead, i'd probably do... the EP3 with 14-150 and the 9-18. low light be damned, i'd probably be passed out by dark anyway.

'course if i could tweak the rules a bit i'd add the xz-1. portable silent-shutter street-shooter and low light extraordinaire. that'd just about do it for me.

I'd agree with you Ppygmy. I'm also just back from India and had a nex with similar lens ranges. I also came to the conclusion that I wanted something extra like a canon s95, or xz-1 or the new Sony superzoom P&S.

With longer lenses, the Nex was just a little to large for some shooting. With the WA I found I was too often wanting to change lenses at inappropriate times. Decided I wanted the smaller camera to keep in my pocket. Happy to have the Nex and a couple of lens in my backpack so I could go for it when I had a bit more time and really wanted top IQ. The weight/size of these in the backpack was fine.
--
Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Bilgy_no1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,863
Like?

Nice challenge! Does the person with the best advice get to go on that trip?

With the two lens limitation, I'd go for a superzoom: 14-140 (expensive but with OIS) or 14-150 (cheaper, little bit more reach).

The I'd add either the 20mm (pancake) or 25mm (brighter aperture, better for portraits). Although it's not pancake, I'd lean to the 25mm. This lens is for low light, street, discrete shots at social gatherings, and probably on the cam for most of the time... For the real wide-angle shots, use the 20 or 25 and stitch them together.

A more affordable package would be the E-PL2 +14-150mm adding the 25mm. Of course you'd lose the viewfinder, but it seems that getting the G3, superzoom and 25mm separately would be much more expensive.

PipelineExplorer wrote:

What camera setup would you take with you to travel the world. What lens and camera would you take. Must be interchangeable lens camera, Dslr or M4/3. What two lenses would you take with you. Whether it be pictures for national geographic close up or far way?!?! What is your ideal setup?

I would probably lean to the g3 or the d5100 but am unsure of the lens. it would probably be a pancake and a large telephoto. Then again i am new to photography and know nothing!!!

Bizzarrini
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?

Agreed. I'd also take the 9-18 and 14-150, likely on an Oly body for the IBIS (E-PL2 or one of the upcoming cams, with the VF-2). If you could find some spare cash, I'd also include the 20mm for a really complete set-up!

Bizzarrini's gear list:Bizzarrini's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +22 more
penfriend
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?

PipelineExplorer wrote:

What camera setup would you take with you to travel the world. What lens and camera would you take. Must be interchangeable lens camera, Dslr or M4/3.

Also not in just cities but high up at machu pichu or in egypt photographing the sphinx or maybe down in a cave!!!

Sorry id want 3 lenses

E-P1
Zuiko 12-60/2.8-4
Zuiko 50/1.4
Zuiko 100/2.8

(12-60 i dont have)

pocketpygmy
Like?
In reply to penfriend, Jun 22, 2011

ok! extra credit challenge! 1 body, 2 primes. go!

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,623
Like?

pocketpygmy wrote:

ok! extra credit challenge! 1 body, 2 primes. go!

Is the Leica m9 cheating?
--
Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

PeterLeyssens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,495
Like?

Hi,

I haven't travelled the world, but I have been out for 6 weeks. There's one important message that anybody experienced in long term travel will tell you. It would seem logical to assume you need to take more equipment, because you'll encounter more situations. But the opposite is true: if you travel longer and cover more distance, you need to take as little as possible . You won't like lugging a Nikon D3 + a bunch of zoom lenses around if you pack up and lift all your belongings every other day.

The same holds even for µ43 equipment. It may be tempting to take a 7-14, a few primes, then the 40-150 and the 70-300 for all those safaris, and then a converter for a few legacy lenses. Bad idea. I like it that you have decided to cut down to two lenses, but three could be a better idea.

Proposal:

• a 9-18mm for cities and landscapes

• a 20/f1.7 for a really small package that you can carry around when you're not in the photographer mode (i.e. going for a drink)

• a 40-150. It's really light at 190gr and at least you'll have some reach in case you need it.

For my Japan trip of 6 weeks, I took a film camera (1 body) with a 28/f2.8, 50/f1.4 and a 90/f2. I did buy a 200/f4 during the trip, too, for some reach, but I hardly used it.

Enjoy the trip !

Peter.

-- hide signature --

gallery at http://picasaweb.google.com/peterleyssens
NAP (Nearly a PAD (Photo a Day)) at http://nap.techwriter.be

PaulChapman
Contributing MemberPosts: 920Gear list
Like?
it all depends.....

I think you need three bits of glass....and it depends where you are going to.

India in January, used my GF1 with
7-14 used a bit
Voigtlander 25 on most of the time
45-200 used a bit

In Vietnam
7-14 used quite a bit
Voigtlander 25 on most of the time
LX3 used quite a bit

In Holland.....just the 7-14 and 25
In France....ditto plus an LX3 for kite aerial photography

I am in Switzerland this week so I will take .....you guessed it! 7-14, 25 and LX3

The 25 is good for stitching up wide views; this is a crop from a 5x4 array using Hugin

PaulChapman's gear list:PaulChapman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Leica M9-P Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +9 more
NuFonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 2,211
Like?
In reply to PeterLeyssens, Jun 22, 2011

There are some extremelly good tips in your post. As someone who has backpacked on all continets agree with your "less is more approach". That is why i got into M4/3 as my travel system.

Last year i backpacked in india using only the GF1, an Olympus 14-42 and the 20mm. It was an extremelly lightweight, yet very capable setup.

At the moment i'm living and working in Nepal so i added the 45-200mm since i won't backpack as much and can leave lenses at home.

When i could only take two lenses i'd be hard pressed but i think i would the take the 14-42 and the 45-200. The 20mm is a great lens but i use it way less than the others.

But still taking all this into account for my next trip i'm thinking about changing to either the Nikon D7000 or D5100. Then i might take even only one lens (Tamron 17-50mm 2.8) for backpacking and an additional 50mm 1.4 and 50-150mm 2.8 for more convenient travels.

With only the Tamron my setup would be about the same in terms of size as my current one and i would like to try traveling with just that. I lived without tele before

PeterLeyssens wrote:

Hi,

I haven't travelled the world, but I have been out for 6 weeks. There's one important message that anybody experienced in long term travel will tell you. It would seem logical to assume you need to take more equipment, because you'll encounter more situations. But the opposite is true: if you travel longer and cover more distance, you need to take as little as possible . You won't like lugging a Nikon D3 + a bunch of zoom lenses around if you pack up and lift all your belongings every other day.

The same holds even for µ43 equipment. It may be tempting to take a 7-14, a few primes, then the 40-150 and the 70-300 for all those safaris, and then a converter for a few legacy lenses. Bad idea. I like it that you have decided to cut down to two lenses, but three could be a better idea.

Proposal:

• a 9-18mm for cities and landscapes

• a 20/f1.7 for a really small package that you can carry around when you're not in the photographer mode (i.e. going for a drink)

• a 40-150. It's really light at 190gr and at least you'll have some reach in case you need it.

For my Japan trip of 6 weeks, I took a film camera (1 body) with a 28/f2.8, 50/f1.4 and a 90/f2. I did buy a 200/f4 during the trip, too, for some reach, but I hardly used it.

Enjoy the trip !

Peter.

-- hide signature --

gallery at http://picasaweb.google.com/peterleyssens
NAP (Nearly a PAD (Photo a Day)) at http://nap.techwriter.be

-- hide signature --

What´s that noise?

From one of the Canon Forums:

'I just came back from my first holiday with the 5D II (I think my wife was there as well). '

VladimirV
Senior MemberPosts: 2,659
Like?

PipelineExplorer wrote:

Either the Ricoh GRD I with Panasonic LC1 or the Ricoh GXR with both A12 modules.

timothy turtle
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?

Gday,

I have been pondering the same question. Currently I use an E-P1 and lenses, but for upcoming travel I'm feeling that I would like to use a viewfinder, so I have been looking seriously at a pentax K-5 as a body. Or for micro four thirds, I would look at a model with an in-built viewfinder.

As far as lenses, I'm currently drawn towards a fast normal (being around 50mm on 35mm film), and a telephoto prime or zoom (100-300mm) for scenic and urban shots.

Currently I'm not drawn towards wide-angle shots, but for travel I might throw in a wide lense (for caves, forests etc).

Let us know if you come up with a decision.

David V
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?
In reply to VladimirV, Jun 22, 2011

For me, its the D5100 with the 16-85VR as the standard mount lens. Along with that in the kit is a 35 f/1.8 for low light, which is also the perfect focal range for general photography if you want to go smaller and lighter in weight, and just use your feet to zoom in and out a few steps either way. For longer reach, the 70-300VR is an outstanding lens from 70-220mm, and begins to soften a bit after that, but by no mean is un-usable, just a bit softer. This whole kit in a sleek Kata R-103 backpack weighs in at less than 8 pounds (That included filters, charger, spare battery, and a tiny SB400 flash), which is an amazing amount of image capture options in a light weigh package that will provide supreme protection for your system from impact or heat! Kata bags are world class, and feel very comfortable on your back all day!

In my opinion, there is no better balance of size/weight and image quality than this kit, especially if you're not willing to compromise on image quality. If I were traveling the world to capture images, image quality would be the priority with size/weight being the next order of priority. This is coming from experience, as I do actually lug a d700, pro 2.8 glass and tripod on some trips where weight is not the priority, but image quality is of the utmost importance.

I have owned M4/3 (E-PL1), Sony NEX 5, and the Leica D-Lux4, and while they all capture great images in each of their respective "sweet spots", they are still a compromise in the image and more importantly, dynamic range department. The E-PL1 took great daytime images, but was noisy in shadows and night shots, and its auto focus in low light was dismal.

The Sony had the best image quality and dynamic range of the small form factor cameras, but I found that the kit lens was just short of mediocre, and there were really no other suitable options without an adapter and manual focus. Shame really. If Sony's kit lens was up to the standards of the M4/3 kit lenses, this would be a killer camera system. It also had the best LCD screen and video capture mode. Perhaps they will enhance their mid-zoom offering, and if they do, I would take another serious look.

P&S cameras are the most portable, and clearly most convenient, but will also be the biggest compromise in image quality and dynamic range.

In the end, you need to pick your priorities (Image, size, weight) and invest in the system that best serves your needs and willingness to compromise.

I hope this helps.

DV

David V's gear list:David V's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +12 more
duckling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,760Gear list
Like?

Any camera with a 50mm (or equivalent) fast prime. This is the setup I started with 25 years ago and after trying out dozens of cameras and lenses over the years, this is the setup I will probably end up with.
--
Gallery: http://weatherloony.fruitsens.com/snphoto.html

duckling's gear list:duckling's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Simon Zeev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,505Gear list
Like?

I will take my E-PL2 with the EVF - VF2.
Lenses: 9-18, 14-42 and 40-150.
If Is a chance to dive I will also take the housing PT-EP03.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Zeev
Simon = family name so... call me Zeev!
http://public.fotki.com/zeev-simon/
http://picasaweb.google.com/zeev.simon

Simon Zeev's gear list:Simon Zeev's gear list
Canon PowerShot S1 IS Ricoh Caplio GX100 Olympus E-500 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +3 more
guvenilter
Regular MemberPosts: 245Gear list
Like?
In reply to duckling, Jun 22, 2011

I have a similar idea, I can live with the 20mm f/ 1.7 and CV Nokton 40 mm f/1.4 (Leica M-mount with adapter), a wide-ish and a tele-ish combination.
--
Guven Ilter
http://gallery.me.com/guven
Equipment in plan

guvenilter's gear list:guvenilter's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +11 more
PipelineExplorer
Like?

i love it keep going!!

Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100
pocketpygmy
Like?
In reply to Mike Fewster, Jun 22, 2011

Mike Fewster wrote:

Is the Leica m9 cheating?

yes.

you need those $7000 for europe, asia, north america, and australia.

and what happens when the bus hits the king of potholes and thy precious jumps out of the hand and off the cliff?

or when the budding photographer but-AK-wielding-pirate-as-a-day-job sees what you've got?

PS. was that your photo of the baby on the train getting a drip feed of water? that was a great shot

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads