How to dismount from a bull and land on your feet . . .

Started Jun 21, 2011 | Discussions
GPapa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,656
Like?
How to dismount from a bull and land on your feet . . .
Jun 21, 2011

Camera: Canon EOS 7D with 70-200 f/2.8 IS
Manual Exposure Time: 1/5000
Manual Aperture: f/4
Auto ISO: 1600
Focal Length: 200mm

Everything was just fine . . .

Then, as the cowboy's body slipped off the bull, his hand got caught in the bull rope. The cinch they use is kind of like a Chinese finger trap; the harder you pull the tighter it grips the hand.

The cowboy was getting flung around like a rag doll as the bull spun.

The cowboy eventually got flung up onto the bulls horns.

Finally, and fortunately, the cowboy's hand came free from the bull rope just as the bull launched him into the air.

ncuthbertson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,287
Like?
Re: How to dismount from a bull and land on your feet . . .
In reply to GPapa, Jun 21, 2011

Great job on the series! Love them!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr.
Contributing MemberPosts: 774Gear list
Like?
excellent series
In reply to ncuthbertson, Jun 21, 2011

I hope the bull did not hit him after he landed. That support crew did a great job distracting the animal.
Armando.
--
'Heavens declare the glory of God,' and I hope my pictures will too.
http://www.pbase.com/arodri3

Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr.'s gear list:Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr.'s gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +4 more
Dannyboy292
Contributing MemberPosts: 700
Like?

very nicely done ....i enoyed them alot
--

theguyny
Regular MemberPosts: 341Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dannyboy292, Jun 21, 2011

that was great, I enjoyed guessing what the next pic would hold.
nicely done

theguyny's gear list:theguyny's gear list
Sigma DP2 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D +5 more
bellevilleguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,089
Like?
Very nice series!!

I like the look on the guy's face as he was getting thrown!

Derek
--
http://www.photofroggy.com

rwbaron
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,425Gear list
Like?

Great series of shots and the light was perfect too. Did you shoot RAW and if so how did you process them?

Thanks,

Bob
--
http://www.pbase.com/rwbaron

rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D +16 more
mac west
Senior MemberPosts: 1,200Gear list
Like?
In reply to rwbaron, Jun 21, 2011

Fantastic photos
--
SHOOT TO THRILL: MAC WEST NYC

mac west's gear list:mac west's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1
GPapa
Like?
Settings and Post Processing
In reply to rwbaron, Jun 21, 2011

I shoot almost all sports in Large JPEG mode and that is what I did here. I shot about 1,000 frames at this rodeo.

I've been experimenting with Auto ISO for outdoor sports under variable light conditions lately. I use Highlight Tone Priority along with it. So far I like it.

We had partial cloudy conditions at this rodeo. Sometimes full sun and sometimes partial sun or just plain cloudy. So I had saved a couple of setups under the C1-C2-C3. I used a faster shutter speed, 1/5000, for the full sun and a slower shutter speed, 1/3200, for cloudy and let the Auto ISO float as needed. When they started the bulls I was in cloudy mode but the sun was starting to return on this riders set. I had switched to sun mode even though it wasn't full sun yet, it was going in that direction. In this particular set the ISO fluctuated from 1250 to 2000.

I also used auto white balance because the variable light.

I used Neutral Picture Style and added sharpness, a touch of saturation, and sampled white balance settings were applied to small batches of similarly lighted images in post processing. I used Canon's Digital Photo Professional software.

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,208Gear list
Like?
Re: Settings and Post Processing

Amazing stuff, Gpapa! Very nice job!
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Plan' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Tom McElvy
Contributing MemberPosts: 875
Like?
Great captures! (NT)
-- hide signature --

Tom McElvy
Virginia Beach VA USA

==================
http://pbase.com/imagesbytom
http://flickr.com/tommcelvy

rwbaron
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,425Gear list
Like?
In reply to GPapa, Jun 22, 2011

Thanks for the details.

You do a great job in capture and in post processing. I would never think of shooting in JPEG due to my perceived limitations in post processing but your work shows my concerns can be unfounded.

Nice work and thanks for sharing.

Bob

GPapa wrote:

I shoot almost all sports in Large JPEG mode and that is what I did here. I shot about 1,000 frames at this rodeo.

I've been experimenting with Auto ISO for outdoor sports under variable light conditions lately. I use Highlight Tone Priority along with it. So far I like it.

We had partial cloudy conditions at this rodeo. Sometimes full sun and sometimes partial sun or just plain cloudy. So I had saved a couple of setups under the C1-C2-C3. I used a faster shutter speed, 1/5000, for the full sun and a slower shutter speed, 1/3200, for cloudy and let the Auto ISO float as needed. When they started the bulls I was in cloudy mode but the sun was starting to return on this riders set. I had switched to sun mode even though it wasn't full sun yet, it was going in that direction. In this particular set the ISO fluctuated from 1250 to 2000.

I also used auto white balance because the variable light.

I used Neutral Picture Style and added sharpness, a touch of saturation, and sampled white balance settings were applied to small batches of similarly lighted images in post processing. I used Canon's Digital Photo Professional software.

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D +16 more
GPapa
Like?
In reply to rwbaron, Jun 22, 2011

Thanks for the compliments to all. I did kind of luck out on the scattered sunlight with this set and the 7D + 70-200 is a great combination for sports if you can get close enough to the action.

I shot a district level basketball game using Raw because I knew from previous experience the gym had a red biased light that was very difficult to deal with shooting JPEG. Shooting raw I was able to deal with the orange tinted photos easier than previous shoots done in JPEG at the same venue, but I ended up with 10 gigabytes of files. That meant 3 DVDs to archive just one game. Not worth it for my purposes.

jrarsenault
Senior MemberPosts: 1,129
Like?
In reply to GPapa, Jun 22, 2011

Amazing capture right to the very end! You kept me on the edge of my seat.

Even the background was interesting seeing the expressions of the cowboys behind the fence. There was one sadistic cowboy who wore a black jacket with sunglasses and a white cowboy hat who seemed to be laughing through the whole thing!

mevbo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,026Gear list
Like?
Very Nice!
In reply to GPapa, Jun 23, 2011

What mode were you shooting? What fstop? What AF mode? They all look nice and sharp for constant action. Well done.

mevbo's gear list:mevbo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
GPapa
Like?
More Settings
In reply to mevbo, Jun 23, 2011

Image Stabilization ON
Auto ISO: 1250-2000
Highlight Tone Priority ON
Center Weighted Average Metering
Auto White Balance
AI-Servo
High Speed Continuous Drive
Center Focal Point
Neutral Picture Style
Large JPEG
C Fn III 1: Sensitivity 0
C Fn III 2: AF Priority/Tracking Priority
C Fn III 3: Continuous Focus Tracking Priority

jhal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178Gear list
Like?
Re: More Settings

Just curious, why is the IS on at 1/5000??

GPapa wrote:

Image Stabilization ON
Auto ISO: 1250-2000
Highlight Tone Priority ON
Center Weighted Average Metering
Auto White Balance
AI-Servo
High Speed Continuous Drive
Center Focal Point
Neutral Picture Style
Large JPEG
C Fn III 1: Sensitivity 0
C Fn III 2: AF Priority/Tracking Priority
C Fn III 3: Continuous Focus Tracking Priority

jhal's gear list:jhal's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
GPapa
Like?
Why IS ON with 1/5000 shutter speed
In reply to jhal, Jun 23, 2011

The list of settings is what was used when I took these bull rider photos.

During the rodeo I was also taking shots of the spectators. I used the C2 mode dial setting to store a different set of parameters with a slower shutter speed for shooting mostly stationary targets.

The IS was left ON because it was not interferring with the action shots. If this were a baseball game or basketball game, where capturing the shot means rapidly swinging the camera from one point of action to another, then the slight delay waiting for the IS to settle down would be a factor. For rodeo I don't find that to be the case.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,183
Like?

Could have done without most of those photos to tell the story. Just 3 photos needed. 1st middle and end.

GPapa
Like?
Too many photos . . . ?
In reply to RedFox88, Jun 24, 2011

Yes, my decision to include more than three images may be a bit overboard, but then again, I could have posted all 36 of the images taken during this 8 second ride.

I could have just posted the one image where the rider is initially launched into the air, as I did for the local newspaper that featured my photo at the top of their coverage of the rodeo. Of course you do get a different story that way.

And, of course, I could take the opportunity to show some of what 8 frames per second can look like on a photography web site like this . . . which is what I did.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads