Olympus Customer Service EPIC FAIL ...

Started Jun 21, 2011 | Discussions
redshifted
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,107
Like?
Olympus Customer Service EPIC FAIL ...
Jun 21, 2011

Folks,

I didn't really think that Olympus could be that screwed up. My E-5 came back from Olympus Repair in NY after taking a month to replace the top cover plate and clean the sensor.

The sensor had those dreaded oil spots on it that were getting progressively worse with use. The top plate was dinged when I banged the camera on some rocks shooting waterfalls this past Spring. I thought that now was the time to send it in for the spots as long as it was going in for repair anyway.

I happily approved payment for the damage I had done to the camera. They managed to lose part of the paperwork that was sent in with the camera so I had to fax in copies of that also. This was a sign of things to come.

It finally came back with an E-3 top plate on it! I thought that they had just sent me back the wrong camera but the serial number on the bottom was in fact mine. So Olympus has changed my E-5 into an E-3 . If it wasn't so incompetent it would be funny.

I am waiting to hear back from customer service after they check with the repair manager. I'll let you know how this turns out but in the meantime all I can say is...

Don't buy Olympus !!!

I have owned Olympus E-System equipment since 2004 and currently own and use 2 E-1s and 2 E-5s and I can't believe how lousy their customer service has gotten. This is just an unacceptable level of customer service.

Thanks for listening to me vent,
Ed

herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,281
Like?
Re: Olympus Customer Service EPIC FAIL ...
In reply to redshifted, Jun 21, 2011

redshifted wrote:

Folks,

I didn't really think that Olympus could be that screwed up. My E-5 came back from Olympus Repair in NY after taking a month to replace the top cover plate and clean the sensor.

The sensor had those dreaded oil spots on it that were getting progressively worse with use. The top plate was dinged when I banged the camera on some rocks shooting waterfalls this past Spring. I thought that now was the time to send it in for the spots as long as it was going in for repair anyway.

I happily approved payment for the damage I had done to the camera. They managed to lose part of the paperwork that was sent in with the camera so I had to fax in copies of that also. This was a sign of things to come.

It finally came back with an E-3 top plate on it! I thought that they had just sent me back the wrong camera but the serial number on the bottom was in fact mine. So Olympus has changed my E-5 into an E-3 . If it wasn't so incompetent it would be funny.

I am waiting to hear back from customer service after they check with the repair manager. I'll let you know how this turns out but in the meantime all I can say is...

Don't buy Olympus !!!

I have owned Olympus E-System equipment since 2004 and currently own and use 2 E-1s and 2 E-5s and I can't believe how lousy their customer service has gotten. This is just an unacceptable level of customer service.

Ed

This is just the silly kind of mistake and screw-up that causes people to change from an old "favorite" brand of device to a "New and different" brand of device. Whether its a camera, or a television, or what-ever... A lack of pride in the customer service division (and thats what this is) can cause loss of customers faster than defective products can.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut

In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fleabag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,293
Like?

Maybe this is the hybrid system people have been talking about.
--
nedbagno.com

redshifted
Like?
In reply to herebefore, Jun 21, 2011

I agree Larry. Olympus doesn't seem to have a problem with driving their DSLR product line into the ground by destroying current and potential customer confidence.

herebefore wrote:

This is just the silly kind of mistake and screw-up that causes people to change from an old "favorite" brand of device to a "New and different" brand of device. Whether its a camera, or a television, or what-ever... A lack of pride in the customer service division (and thats what this is) can cause loss of customers faster than defective products can.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut

Oscar Wilde

redshifted
Like?
In reply to Fleabag, Jun 21, 2011

More like a Limited Edition

Fleabag wrote:

Maybe this is the hybrid system people have been talking about.
--
nedbagno.com

Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,945
Like?

Wow, mindboggling. This is the sort of service you get on their most expensive camera? I can appreciate your frustration.

Good luck,

Rick

msusic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,576
Like?

Haha, that's so funny

Personally I wouldn't change it - cool having that mutant - at least you've got unique camera now
--
Cheers,
Marin

redshifted
Like?
In reply to Skeeterbytes, Jun 21, 2011

Thanks Rick,

I can't believe it either.

Ed

redshifted
Like?
In reply to msusic, Jun 21, 2011

Marin,

It's kind of like the opposite of those pre-release Photoshop fakes that people post before the new model comes out

Ed

msusic wrote:

Haha, that's so funny

Personally I wouldn't change it - cool having that mutant - at least you've got unique camera now
--
Cheers,
Marin

Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,844Gear list
Like?

man that sucks big time
and they closed the west coast office so that these guys can continue
they need a real good kick up the

this is the sort of thing that new Brit guy should be aware of

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
carizi
carizi MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,167Gear list
Like?
LMAO (nt)
In reply to Fleabag, Jun 21, 2011

Carizi.

carizi's gear list:carizi's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,602Gear list
Like?
They were not like this...

Thy makes me very sad.  They weren't like this before. Your E-5 should have gotten expedited repairs ( my e-3 sure did though it came back worse and had to send it again )

You are also not the first to post big issues with them recently.  Hmmm gives me pause to consider that pen though a pen isn't as expensive as the e-5.

I don't think the guys mean bad ( the ones that work at repair ). Their wings have been cut.
--

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,844Gear list
Like?
Re: They were not like this...
In reply to Raist3d, Jun 21, 2011

Raist3d wrote:

Thy makes me very sad.

sure it does

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
carizi
carizi MOD
Like?

And that's why I'm afraid of sending out my E520 for some needed tuning. You would think that in this day and age any company would do their very best, at least, to keep their customers satisfied and thus customer retention.

Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
In reply to herebefore, Jun 21, 2011

They do stuff like this when managers tell them to try to get rid of part X on the shelf to try and clear things out, whether it be a repair, or dead stock. Ordinarily, it wouldn't be terrible, but the fact is, when or if the time comes for a sale, how does one explain that away?

Sad, though. They're all but assuring that current customers won't move with their lenses to u4/3.

herebefore wrote:

redshifted wrote:

Folks,

Don't buy Olympus !!!

Ed

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut

Oscar Wilde

jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,043
Like?
In reply to carizi, Jun 21, 2011

Yeah, I'd give them a while before sending things in for non-crucial work.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Bootstrap
Forum ProPosts: 20,999
Like?

Very sad Ed. I know that you've been a faithful E-system user for years. It's terrible that anyone at Olympus would let this occur.

Bill Turner

TedKurkowski
Contributing MemberPosts: 779
Like?
In reply to Rriley, Jun 21, 2011

Rriley wrote:

and they closed the west coast office so that these guys can continue

No, Hauppauge has traditionally been very good. It looks to me that now they're overwhelmed.

Ted

-- hide signature --

Ted

LouHolland
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,946Gear list
Like?
Make it public through Youtube...

Make a youtube movie from this issue with the serial numbers and the clear mistake etc., so that everyone can aknowledge that's E5 and the mistaken E3 part. Don't reward them, just show to the public what they did to you for your priceless money.

Succes

Lou

LouHolland's gear list:LouHolland's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M10
carizi
carizi MOD
Like?
Re: Make it public through Youtube...
In reply to LouHolland, Jun 21, 2011

Where's the "Like" button in here????????????? hehehhee......

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads