event photography

Started Jun 14, 2011 | Discussions
D5000Angora
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
event photography
Jun 14, 2011

I will be shooting an indoors event for my friend. I am not a professional, although I was many years ago, in the film era.

I will be shooting with Nikon D90, 17-50 2.8 Tamron, 50mm 1.8, 35mm 1.8 and with Nikon SB-600.

I also have the sto-fen omni bounce (although I didn't find results with it very pleasing).

Usually I bounce my flash up the ceiling but I am not sure how tall they will be in the hall.

My question is: how do you solve lighting issues when you don't have a wall to bounce light from?

Thanks!

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,106
Like?
Re: event photography
In reply to D5000Angora, Jun 14, 2011

Gel with a 1/2 CTS, point your flash straight at the subjects and fire away. Sounds easy, right?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
D5000Angora
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, Jun 14, 2011

Totally!
Should the flash be in full power?
Thank you for your answer!

Joe Federer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,438
Like?

Use ambient light?

Bounce off people or other things (a dude wearing a white shirt is just as good (or better) than a wall/ceiling)

Put your flash off-camera (either in your outstretched hand, on a stand somewhere, or even sitting on top of a wall sconce...?) and trigger it with your on-camera...

Find a good spot (lighting wise) and wait for things to occur there.

Lots of options...
--
JOE FEDERER
Websites:
http://www.joefederer.com
http://www.federerphotography.com/blog
http://www.theprofessionalphotographyforum.com/

D5000Angora
Like?
In reply to Joe Federer, Jun 14, 2011

Thank you for these suggestions!

However, I like to be able to move around and catch interesting situations rather than situations coming to me... and I can't rely on a person with white clothing to pass by by chance but it's a cute idea

I wonder, if I set my WB to 3800K (1/2 CTS) will I get the same affect as using the gel?

lbuclk=
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,508Gear list
Like?

D5000Angora wrote:

However, I like to be able to move around and catch interesting situations rather than situations coming to me... and I can't rely on a person with white clothing to pass by by chance but it's a cute idea

I wonder, if I set my WB to 3800K (1/2 CTS) will I get the same affect as using the gel?

If possible, go to the site & look around, if not possible, you can try your flash at reduced power to avoid overexposure, if you can not use your flash,then use a high iso(800-3200+) at the best hand holding you can manage & time your shots for the best time to shoot, like if a person is raising his/her hand, snap at the height of that movement , you will have a split second of almost non-movement. you will have some blur, but you will have some keepers, this is one of my examples, iso; 3200, distance; 50-75 + -, 1/15sec. zoom lens 28-300mm(3.5-5.6).

-- hide signature --

28 years as a freelancer,(news,magazine, wedding photography) camera equip. over the years: Practica MLT, Canon A1, Minolta 9xi, 7xi, Dimage Z1,Fuji 5200,Canon S2,Pentax K100D,Olympus 380,Canon SX 10, Canon 40D ( http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v104/Buckl/ )
http://issuu.com/Lbuck

lbuclk='s gear list:lbuclk='s gear list
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
leecamera
Regular MemberPosts: 447
Like?
In reply to lbuclk=, Jun 14, 2011

You'll need to gel your flash at least with full CTO (I often use 1.25 or 1.5 as events are often low light which can mean a balance of about 2700K or so)

Although some hate the Fong diffusers, I've used the one with a chrome top (with the hole in the top) as an excellent diffuser which throws light forward and up. Not perfect but they also get the light further from the camera and work well whether in portrait or landscape.

If budget allows I have an assistant with a radio linked flash on a stick with a small ezybox on.

Recently I've been using the excellent Custom Brackets Pro-M (with the extra extender to get the flash a little higher - but undecided about that yet...) and a Lumiquest softbox (the type that doesn't cover the sensor on the flash).

Starting pointis usually to take an ambient reading and set to manual at a stop under or so. Flash takes up the slack and I get very natural results.

LEE

Joe Federer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,438
Like?

D5000Angora wrote:

Using a combination of the ideas should do you well. Obviously not every option works for every situation - you've got to be dynamic and work with what you're given.

Sometimes direct flash is the only option... but you'd be amazed at what you can bounce off of (or set a remote flash on) and make it work - and chasing around people sometimes results in a a lot of poor photos whereas waiting for the 'right' photo might get you less - but better - images.

All else fails, bust out your primes.

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,106
Like?
In reply to Joe Federer, Jun 14, 2011

And practice whatever you glean from this thread BEFORE it's showtime.

frank-in-toronto
Contributing MemberPosts: 925
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, Jun 14, 2011

you could make one of these for a quarter and try it at home. see if you like the results.
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/03/diy-ladig-cutout-bounce-card.html

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads